Masterpiece Flower Company LLC Employee Reviews

Not what you think
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 13, 2019
Immediate regional supervisor was wonderful but anyone higher could not run a business successfully if they tried. Other employees are nice to work with. If you enjoy plants and flowers it is enjoyable. That's where it ends on pros. Planning a work day was hard as deliveries were never communicated correctly from corporate. It takes months for corporate to get your pay rate correct. The area coordinator is never seen and only cares when it benefits him. When hiring, corporate or area coordinator does not convey what the job actually entails. This company could care less about it's employees and working relationship with the stores it is contracted with.
Pros
Working with plants
Cons
Lack of communication, lack of basic business sense on a corporate level, lack of a dependable schedule
relaxing and easy
Merchandiser (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Highland, INMay 25, 2019
I would arrive and unload the pallets of plants and flowers. I would arrange and organize them accordingly. I would help customers when they needed it. I would water and take care of the plants and flowers
Pros
relaxing
Cons
short hours
Be aware before you apply
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  IllinoisApril 22, 2019
Took this as a seasonal job for the summer for fun, during interview was asked about the amount of weight I could move and passed on manager response I believed that the work was something that I could complete. Within a week I realized that the physical requirements had not been fully explained to me and I was not able to complete the tasks required of me. I was forced to quit but had been considering leaving before this. When I started I asked my manager for a schedule and for assistance in getting me settled as I was likely to be the main person at the location. I was never given a schedule, never provided training or helpful guidance from management about my daily tasks, nor was I given an idea of what to expect day to day but for reading a booklet that was required of us.

Hopefully as the summer goes on it will be more organized but I needed to have the clear understanding of at least my schedule to ensure my personal life did not interfer with my working hours.
Pros
Being outside, customer interactions
Cons
Unorganized and physical requirements are not for all
Micromanaged to the max
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Wixom, MIApril 19, 2019
This should be a fun mindless job, lots of physical work, but it should be stress free and MINDLESS! I took the low paying gig as my own personal fat camp! Yep, getting paid to go to fat camp! It worked! I lost my last 10 pounds! The manager treats you like a child she is very disrespectful, MEAN and RUDE. Even the people who don't work for her (the Meijer's employees) can't stand her. Unreal. Everyone quits on her pronto! She is constantly in your face micromanaging you, telling you your every move is wrong and on the days she's not there she'll text you multiple times a day. Unless you are like me and just looking to get paid to go to fat camp. STAY CLEAR!!! Trust me on this one!
Pros
smelling flowers
Cons
the management!
Fun and Relaxed, Great for a Summer Job
Lead Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 15, 2019
I enjoy working for Masterpiece because it's all about taking care of plants and creatively displaying them. It's relaxing and fun to help customers find the right plants. I look forward to every spring/summer! The pay is good for a secondary job and I worked over 38 hours per week last year and got an end-of-season bonus. It's a seasonal job, so there are no garden center shifts after summer ends, but there are shifts in the floral center (year-round) that I could easily pick up if offered. Absolutely love Masterpiece!
Pros
Outdoors, summer job, working with flowers, end-of-season bonus, good secondary job
Cons
Seasonal
Great company to work for !!!
Regional Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 13, 2019
Wonderful company
lots of flexibility when making your schedule.
Great benefits.
Great team members..
Lots of free range for creativity.

There is many of reasons why this is a great company to work for.
Pros
Healthcare, paid vacations, 401k, Bonus
Enviormentally conscious company
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 13, 2019
This is a fast-paced job that seems to change every day as new product arrives. The floral industry is constantly changing as seasons change and trends change. Management is very supportive of the challenges that we face in the retail environment.
Pros
Priority on Safety, Flexible schedule
Cons
Working in the cold
Great job if you want to give up your summer and family life
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 27, 2019
Loved working with the plants however everything was absolutely chaotic. Lack of help from Meijer and long long hours that include 6 to 7 days a week hard physical labor. Lack of appreciation within the company and disorganization. Also a lot of wear and tear on your personal vehicle from the amount of traveling. Enjoyed the ability to make own schedule, and being outside.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
Pay, wear and tear on vehicle, hours
Nice Side Job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 12, 2019
I loved working here especially during the warmer seasons. There was overtime and nicer paychecks. During the colder months, it is okay at times I'd only get paid $10- $20 the whole week (you get paid $10 and no taxes are taken out) and the more nice checks were only on holidays. Best Manager I have had so far and the higher up staff were friendly and helpful as well.
Pros
Fun, flexible, friendly, peaceful, easy, creative work.
Cons
Seasonal Work
Fun seasonal job
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Volo, ILFebruary 2, 2019
Not only you learn a lot about the different types of floors and be in nature while getting a tan, but the staff is easy to work with and the management is great. I looked forward to going back very season. :)
Pros
Outside, freedom
Cons
Weather
temporary job great for students only
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 14, 2019
Poorly management and supervisors. Need more professional management unfortunately.

But if you are a college student and love outside and looking to get a temp job this is fun easy organizing outdoor job.
Pros
great for students seasonal summer jobs.
Cons
not a long term job even if your good at it you won't move up in the company.
Mangers did not care.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJanuary 7, 2019
After my interview I thought I had a great job lined up! Then I started working they. Terrible management that will blame you for their miscommunication. Does not give you any hours over 7. So if your looking to work this job and pay rent good luck.
Cons
Management hours pay
This is a great company, I wish...
Merchandiser (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO (Home Depot 3010)August 9, 2018
This is a great company, I wish I wouldve returned after the 2016 season in the St Louis area. The management in the company is by far some of the best I've worked with, they care. I worked in the spring/summer/fall from 2012-2016 I would typically start at 6AM and Work till 2 or 2:30. It was a very fast paced job but I loved every second about it. I love working with plants, and the staff at my Home depot was friendly, they were like sister after all those years. I left the job for an inside, and I think I will be returning next season if they let me. They pay wasnt that great, but you could get your hours in. Usually there is 2 people working on a team, per store. But my seasons there, I did all the work myself ( which I loved ) because when management did come around, they'd be like HOW DO YOU DO IT? I was really happy about that. The management in Michigan would come down at the start of the year and meet the local St Louis crew, which is showing that they care. I will go back.
Pros
the hours, nice manangers, get to work outside, break when you need it, Nobody looking over shoulders.
Cons
Hot weather for some ( not me )
Good Management and well rounded people
Seasonal Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIAugust 3, 2018
My team with this company have been overall professional. My coworkers were serious on what they do and we have a stable team. Team building is very important working with the company along with some basic knowledge on caring for plants especially towards customers who may not understand. It's a seasonal job so your hours can change all the time. If you are good at your job, they will most likely rehire you on the spot as long as you pass the drug tests and criminal background checks.
Flexible Outdoor Seasonal Work
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WIJuly 17, 2018
The position was great for what I needed during the time I worked there. My direct supervisor was awesome and I definitely enjoyed working for him. Being outdoors was wonderful to me 75% of the time (the other times are cold or rainy).

I worked at two locations (Mukwonago and Lake Geneva) which had a very different dynamics just based on the store layout, locations and customers. I obviously had my preference, but was equidistant to them and helped out at either. Sometimes you work alone, sometimes you have other team members or your manager around.

You do more heavy lifting than you may expect, but it's a great workout and they seem willing to work with any limitations. Hours are quite flexible, but you are most needed weekends and holidays.
Pros
Flexible, outdoors, independent
Cons
Depending on your store, can get slow at times
Employer treats you well
Regional Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 22, 2018
Masterpiece is a decent company. Like most companies with merchandisers it places the mileage and travel upp the employee. There is not a lot of support from corporate, but there is not any micro managing either.
Pros
Flex schedule
Cons
Pay, travel reimbursement
My favorite job
Regional Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MIJune 13, 2018
I loved the flexibility, the job requirements, and the people. A very physical job in an outdoor garden center setting. A challenging indoor job to keep the floral department clean, well organized and visually appealing.
Pros
Flexibility, autonomy
Cons
Can be stressful at timed
Great place to work.
REGIONAL MERCHANDISER/SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 10, 2018
I was a superior for Masterpiece flower I had 10 stores that l was responsible for. I hired 15 people to work the store and thought them all about the flower and how to Merchandise all the flowers on the table at the home depot stores. I would be esponsible for all the prices changes each week for each store and l would Set up display and made sure all the flower were in the best condition for the customer.
Pros
Great company
Cons
I did not like working 7 day a week
physically demanding but fun
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILMay 29, 2018
A typical day of work in busy season is clocking in at 8 am and pulling flower carts from outside into the store and finding a spot to put them in. Throughout the day you have to assist customers find products or answer questions and relocate things for display purposes.
Pros
Flexible work shifts and breaks
Cons
Weather
Manual labor
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILMay 23, 2018
It's manual labor. I put flowers from the carts onto the tables. I make the place look neat and orderly. There is a lot of lifting heavy items, be they carts or special flower arrangements, and I work in different weather settings. Be it rain or shine.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Masterpiece Flower Company LLC. Our community is ready to answer.