Mastery Charter Schools Employee Reviews

Good place to start out but thats it
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 26, 2018
Solid company to start out at if you are fresh out of school or starting in a new field. Company requires you to be a conformist. You must allow others to think for you. If you have years of experience and are set in your ways, Mastery is not the place for you as you will be supervised and told what to do by someone who have less credential or experience or quiet frankly an idiot. The pay is excellent, however; management is poor, inexperienced and make changes on the fly which can make work life stressful. Culture is not good and politics are live and well. Be careful of voicing your opinion to your colleague as your words and feelings will get back to administration. Kids pretty much run the school and the discipline policy is a joke. Some Mastery schools are better than others so its the luck of the draw as to what school you could end up at. A little difficult to balance personal and work life as you will work longer hours than expected and your start time could change within less than 24 hr notice. Very easy to get written up.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No benefits for PT, poor culture, two faced colleagues(some)
Stressful and no support
ES Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 14, 2018
Long hours with no support from administration
Served as a teacher as well as a disciplinarian
Dealing with administration was at times difficult
Teaching the students was the best part
Pros
students
Cons
compensation
Highly recommended
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 28, 2018
Kids and families make it all worth it. Provide opportunity for offsite Professional Development for veteran teachers to grow. You have to have a real passion to work in this setting.
Pros
Salary, benefits, leadership, opportunity to grow
Cons
Long hours and teacher turn over
Pros and Cons...
Senior Associate Teacher - High School Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 31, 2018
I believe in Mastery's mission, and I love my students; I'm growing the minds of global change-agents right in my class and that's exciting. I also work for an amazing administrative team that offers content and classroom management support. The professional development opportunities are endless and you can definitely step into an administrative role within 3-5 years.The Job Work/Life Balance, however, is nonexistent! The deliverables are endless and you never feel like you've done enough for the day. I've arrived to school at 6:30 AM, left at 6:30 PM, and still had work to do and parents to contact when I went home. Trust me, it's not time management, it's unrealistic deadlines.
Pros
Great Professional Development Opportunities
Cons
Poor Job Work/Life Balance
Great for new teachers & teachers seeking to refine their skills
4th & 5th Grade Literacy Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 29, 2018
Mastery is a great option for a school to work in Philadelphia. The pay is great, as are the benefits, and depending on your school, the students are amazing. That being said, be ready to have constant supervision and feedback on your teaching. This can be from anything to your lesson plans, to your style, or how your room is set up. Some people are able to take the critiques and some become extremely stressed. Ultimately, many of the feedback will make you a better teacher, but it can be extremely stressful in the moment.
Pros
Students, Pay, Benefits
Cons
Constant close supervision
Mastery is awesome
Happy Employee (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 14, 2019
I love working at Mastery because the top leaders really believe in the mission. Everyone there is working hard to close the achievement gap. There are also a lot of days off, which goes a long way for my work-life balance. I highly recommend this company!
Ridiculous
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 20, 2018
While working here I watched another school employee physically hurt a child with no consequence. Meanwhile, us teachers get reamed out if we walk our kids in one line instead of two. These schools need to get their priorities straight.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Work/life balance, patronizing leadership
Poor Leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2018
Awful workplace culture. Senior leadership all wear rose colored glasses. They continually rob Peter to pay Paul. Not financially sound and they have no plan. They fake it as they go along.
Pros
Can’t think of any
Cons
Everything about the place. The place is a white collar sweat shop
Stressful and demanding depending on who you are
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 24, 2018
Though Mastery provides salary and benefits above most areas, you take on a lot of responsibilities. There is a is a lot of favoritism and politics within the organization and depending on what you do and how you do it, you can be rewarded or disciplined. They have set curriculum and standards that is truly not beneficial to students but if you go off the path, you will be in trouble, unless you get results. Class size, discipline and support vary from day to day. If you are good at your job, you often get rewarded by having extra work, to help others.

Ultimately, I just stay in my classroom and teach my students. I love my class and how they respond, and that is truly the only reason why I stayed there.
Local leadership excellent, central leadership disconnected.
Assistant Principal of Operations (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 24, 2018
School building team was amazing.

Work life balance does not exist, face paced school system.

Pay has gotten better, but still behind.

Kids are great and so is staff.

Want to know more about Mastery Charter Schools?

Ask a question
Fast paced, energized environment
Teacher - Grover Cleveland Elementary School (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 16, 2018
Upbeat energized environment with a hint of tension that flows throughout the air. Must use discretion when speaking amongst colleagues. Expect the unexpected
Overall, Mastery is a good place to work. You get out of it, what you put into it often.
Dean of Students at Simon (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 26, 2018
Mastery is a good place to work. You get out of it, what you put into it often. However, I've worked there long enough to know that people are paid equally.
Pros
The students make your job worth wild
Cons
Many teachers are young, not certified, and inexperienced
Great place to start/ Hard to stay with a family.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 26, 2017
The environment i very fast paced. You have to have thick skin and feel comfortable with administrators being in your classroom coaching you or just watching you teach on any given day. If you can't take constructive criticism and if you are set in your ways as an educator, Mastery is not for you. It's a great place to begin your career as a teacher. However, a more experienced teacher may have more success with managing the difficult behaviors of the students at many of the Mastery schools. It is difficult to maintain a healthy work/life balance. The expectations can be very lofty. More than likely you will have to stay late and work on weekends to meet deadlines. It can be difficult if you have children of your own.
Pros
Benefits. Employees pay $0 out of pocket for health care. Merit based salary.
Administration has no idea what they're doing and students run the school.
General Music teacher for grades K-7 (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 17, 2017
The students run the school here. They could do anything wrong and have no consequences. Kids get in fights and it's blamed solely on the teacher. The administration has no idea what they're doing. Students have half days on Wednesdays for professional development and we end up doing nothing all afternoon. It is such a waste of time.

I asked for constructive feedback on my lessons and only got told to hang more posters in my room. Nothing about my teaching or classroom management, which is what I wanted help with.

Teachers have cliques in the building and it is hard to develop relationships to help support you in this bizarro world where the teachers are at fault for students behavior, but students are not help accountable at all.

I had credit cards stolen and charged by a 5th grader and I was told it was my fault!! He was only suspended 1 day!!! That was only because of my insistence that something be done!!

Don't work here. I was sick to my stomach every time I had to go into that building.
Pros
Good hours and salary
Cons
Students with awful behavior with admin who can't control them
Regimented and Inflexible
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 26, 2018
As a highly effective instructor with years of experience, I was nonetheless relentlessly monitored for compliance with the exact culture and methodology mandated by Mastery.
Great for First year teachers.
Special Education Teacher/ Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJMay 18, 2018
Mastery is a great place to work for a first year or novice teacher . They supervise and monitor and help you hone your skills.
Not in the Pension system if you work in New Jersey.
Management is sometimes unorganized.
Pros
Management helps you better your skill as a teacher.
Cons
Not in the state Pension system in New Jersey
Great pl to work.
T. S. S / Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 10, 2018
I started out coming to Mastery from.another company. I met great Teachers I had support and befor you new it I was ask to come backThe company I worked for kept me at this Mastery site because I was ask to come back because they like.my work and my passiom for what I do. I was offered a postion part time.with gaining a family of.great teachers and staff. Time passed so fast that now I'm.six years in and still part time but I love what I do.. My goals are to get my degree and to get full time. I attend to move on so I can get full time but for now making a difference and building relationships with Teachers, Staff and most of all my students has great reward. Never the less we have great Pl for what we do. Thank you. Mastery Rocks!!!
Pros
You can advance with a degree
Cons
If your not full time its hard when You dont get paid for holidays.
Strong salary and advancement potential, weak leadership
teacher (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJFebruary 21, 2017
At Mastery you will earn a competitive salary, but that salary seems less competitive when you factor in the loss of the NJ pension. Currently Mastery is the only charter school in NJ that I am aware of that does not participate in the NJ pension system.

Because the network is constantly growing, there is a lot of room for advancement. This growth and advancement however leads to poor, unqualified and/or unknowledgeable leaders.
Productive and fun place to work but not many benefits for paraprofessionals
Paraprofessional/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 27, 2017
Mastery is an amazing place to work great atmosphere great students great team rapport. The only con was as a paraprofessional you don't receive any benefits you only can work 29 hours per week if you get the entire 29. During breaks and in-services paraprofessionals are not paid and are not required to stay during n services so we had a lot of time off. I would recommend this job too young students looking for experience in a classroom setting but you cannot provide for your family off of the pay and the hours that they give to paraprofessional and there is New Hope to ever becoming a full-time employee as a paraprofessional because they don't allow paraprofessionals to become full-time and that's a guideline through human resources.
Pros
Students, staff, and the overall Mastery atmosphere.
Cons
Pay, benefits and no continuing education.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 9, 2018
Mastery as a whole is a great nonprofit organization;there are components that contribute to how great Mastery can be. I believe that if structure is established and is consistent...Mastery will be on the right track. I think that's the main con that I have noticed while working there. Moreover, when there's no structure, the school body takes on the impact from it. I would say that is the hardest part of the job--when having to adjust to lack of organization and structure and still be able to get things done. The most enjoyable part of my job is having a relationship with the kids and encouraging them through their studies and overall contributing to their greatness and furthermore their success.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mastery Charter Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight