Mastery Charter Schools Employee Reviews

Great pl to work.
T. S. S / Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 10, 2018
I started out coming to Mastery from.another company. I met great Teachers I had support and befor you new it I was ask to come backThe company I worked for kept me at this Mastery site because I was ask to come back because they like.my work and my passiom for what I do. I was offered a postion part time.with gaining a family of.great teachers and staff. Time passed so fast that now I'm.six years in and still part time but I love what I do.. My goals are to get my degree and to get full time. I attend to move on so I can get full time but for now making a difference and building relationships with Teachers, Staff and most of all my students has great reward. Never the less we have great Pl for what we do. Thank you. Mastery Rocks!!!
Pros
You can advance with a degree
Cons
If your not full time its hard when You dont get paid for holidays.
Regimented and Inflexible
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 26, 2018
As a highly effective instructor with years of experience, I was nonetheless relentlessly monitored for compliance with the exact culture and methodology mandated by Mastery.
Highly recommended
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 28, 2018
Kids and families make it all worth it. Provide opportunity for offsite Professional Development for veteran teachers to grow. You have to have a real passion to work in this setting.
Pros
Salary, benefits, leadership, opportunity to grow
Cons
Long hours and teacher turn over
Great for First year teachers.
Special Education Teacher/ Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJMay 18, 2018
Mastery is a great place to work for a first year or novice teacher . They supervise and monitor and help you hone your skills.
Not in the Pension system if you work in New Jersey.
Management is sometimes unorganized.
Pros
Management helps you better your skill as a teacher.
Cons
Not in the state Pension system in New Jersey
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 9, 2018
Mastery as a whole is a great nonprofit organization;there are components that contribute to how great Mastery can be. I believe that if structure is established and is consistent...Mastery will be on the right track. I think that's the main con that I have noticed while working there. Moreover, when there's no structure, the school body takes on the impact from it. I would say that is the hardest part of the job--when having to adjust to lack of organization and structure and still be able to get things done. The most enjoyable part of my job is having a relationship with the kids and encouraging them through their studies and overall contributing to their greatness and furthermore their success.
Great for new teachers & teachers seeking to refine their skills
4th & 5th Grade Literacy Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 29, 2018
Mastery is a great option for a school to work in Philadelphia. The pay is great, as are the benefits, and depending on your school, the students are amazing. That being said, be ready to have constant supervision and feedback on your teaching. This can be from anything to your lesson plans, to your style, or how your room is set up. Some people are able to take the critiques and some become extremely stressed. Ultimately, many of the feedback will make you a better teacher, but it can be extremely stressful in the moment.
Pros
Students, Pay, Benefits
Cons
Constant close supervision
High energy
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJApril 27, 2018
Enjoyed sharing my passion with my scholars and families. A very productive, fun, environment to be. Having to be around other colleagues that are like-minded made our day much better.
I do not wish to present my opinion about a typical work day at Mastery.
Paraprofessional/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJMarch 20, 2018
I do not wish to present my opinion about a typical work day at Mastery. I will say that Mastery Charter is a great place for our scholars of Camden .
Stressful and demanding depending on who you are
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 24, 2018
Though Mastery provides salary and benefits above most areas, you take on a lot of responsibilities. There is a is a lot of favoritism and politics within the organization and depending on what you do and how you do it, you can be rewarded or disciplined. They have set curriculum and standards that is truly not beneficial to students but if you go off the path, you will be in trouble, unless you get results. Class size, discipline and support vary from day to day. If you are good at your job, you often get rewarded by having extra work, to help others.

Ultimately, I just stay in my classroom and teach my students. I love my class and how they respond, and that is truly the only reason why I stayed there.
Looking to do something else
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 17, 2018
Good company has helped me grow as an educator. Looking to do what's best for students at this time of my life and career, I want to do more . Not saying Mastery is not.
Lots of money spent of recruitment/not enough spent on retention
Literature, composition and reading teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 18, 2017
Teachers work very hard and are held to high standards. Parents and students are not held to high standards, which makes this a difficult place to work.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
work/life balance
Great place to start/ Hard to stay with a family.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 26, 2017
The environment i very fast paced. You have to have thick skin and feel comfortable with administrators being in your classroom coaching you or just watching you teach on any given day. If you can't take constructive criticism and if you are set in your ways as an educator, Mastery is not for you. It's a great place to begin your career as a teacher. However, a more experienced teacher may have more success with managing the difficult behaviors of the students at many of the Mastery schools. It is difficult to maintain a healthy work/life balance. The expectations can be very lofty. More than likely you will have to stay late and work on weekends to meet deadlines. It can be difficult if you have children of your own.
Pros
Benefits. Employees pay $0 out of pocket for health care. Merit based salary.
Administration has no idea what they're doing and students run the school.
General Music teacher for grades K-7 (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 17, 2017
The students run the school here. They could do anything wrong and have no consequences. Kids get in fights and it's blamed solely on the teacher. The administration has no idea what they're doing. Students have half days on Wednesdays for professional development and we end up doing nothing all afternoon. It is such a waste of time.

I asked for constructive feedback on my lessons and only got told to hang more posters in my room. Nothing about my teaching or classroom management, which is what I wanted help with.

Teachers have cliques in the building and it is hard to develop relationships to help support you in this bizarro world where the teachers are at fault for students behavior, but students are not help accountable at all.

I had credit cards stolen and charged by a 5th grader and I was told it was my fault!! He was only suspended 1 day!!! That was only because of my insistence that something be done!!

Don't work here. I was sick to my stomach every time I had to go into that building.
Pros
Good hours and salary
Cons
Students with awful behavior with admin who can't control them
fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia County, PAOctober 15, 2017
this was one of the best place to work.
can be stressful at times but everyone is friendly.
i want to return to this company in the future.
this work place I recomend to anyone to work.
Pros
very competative
Cons
stressful at times
Dangerous
8th Grade Composition Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 10, 2017
I did not feel safe or supported while working at Mastery and this is the major reason why I decided to leave. I also wanted to relocated to be closer to my family in their time of need.
Pros
I liked the people I worked with
Cons
I did not feel safe
Fast-Paced
Principal (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJSeptember 1, 2017
Mastery is a fast paced culture that struggles with understanding how to educate black and brown children.

They work to recruit people of color but they fail at retaining people of color.
Pros
fast-paced, quick learning curve, values
Cons
lack of work life balance
Staff was great
Couselor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 22, 2017
Leadership needed a lot of support. The teachers worked well together. The administration had some issues and lacked leadership skills. They made too many impulse decisions.
Pros
Staff worked well together
Cons
lack of leadership
A typical day
NST Food Service Director (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 14, 2017
Mastery is a wonderful place to work. One Team is the motto and it holds true. From the CEO to the Admin Assistant; they are all in it together. Excellence, no excuses hold true to both students and employees.
Pros
Friendly environment, supportive administration and staff
Cons
Can sometimes be long hours, multiple functions/titles are sometimes required
Productive and fun place to work
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  East Camden, NJJuly 21, 2017
Mastery is a very product driven organization whose end goal is ensuring that at-risk inner city students are afforded the same opportunity to succeed as their suburban counterparts.
Pros
Rapid growth and room for advancement into leadership positions
Nice job
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 18, 2017
Mastery was a nice place to work. I enjoyed my time there. There is nothing special about this place, typical school. It is what you would expect working the front desk at an elementary school.
Pros
Some very nice staff members
Cons
Some very rude staff members

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mastery Charter Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight