Mastery Charter Schools Employee Reviews in Camden, NJ

High energy
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJApril 27, 2018
Enjoyed sharing my passion with my scholars and families. A very productive, fun, environment to be. Having to be around other colleagues that are like-minded made our day much better.
I do not wish to present my opinion about a typical work day at Mastery.
Paraprofessional/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJMarch 20, 2018
I do not wish to present my opinion about a typical work day at Mastery. I will say that Mastery Charter is a great place for our scholars of Camden .
Administration has no idea what they're doing and students run the school.
General Music teacher for grades K-7 (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 17, 2017
The students run the school here. They could do anything wrong and have no consequences. Kids get in fights and it's blamed solely on the teacher. The administration has no idea what they're doing. Students have half days on Wednesdays for professional development and we end up doing nothing all afternoon. It is such a waste of time.

I asked for constructive feedback on my lessons and only got told to hang more posters in my room. Nothing about my teaching or classroom management, which is what I wanted help with.

Teachers have cliques in the building and it is hard to develop relationships to help support you in this bizarro world where the teachers are at fault for students behavior, but students are not help accountable at all.

I had credit cards stolen and charged by a 5th grader and I was told it was my fault!! He was only suspended 1 day!!! That was only because of my insistence that something be done!!

Don't work here. I was sick to my stomach every time I had to go into that building.
Pros
Good hours and salary
Cons
Students with awful behavior with admin who can't control them
Fast-Paced
Principal (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJSeptember 1, 2017
Mastery is a fast paced culture that struggles with understanding how to educate black and brown children.

They work to recruit people of color but they fail at retaining people of color.
Pros
fast-paced, quick learning curve, values
Cons
lack of work life balance
I Enjoy My Work
Community Advocacy Mgr /Enrollment Mgr- Camden (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 11, 2017
This is a good place to work if you love education, children, and families. I can truly attest to the hard work that is being done at Mastery. Speaking as a parent of an alumni before even considering applying. I believed in their mission for quality education.
Pros
work a school year schedule with 3 "shut down weeks' during the year.
Strong salary and advancement potential, weak leadership
teacher (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJFebruary 21, 2017
At Mastery you will earn a competitive salary, but that salary seems less competitive when you factor in the loss of the NJ pension. Currently Mastery is the only charter school in NJ that I am aware of that does not participate in the NJ pension system.

Because the network is constantly growing, there is a lot of room for advancement. This growth and advancement however leads to poor, unqualified and/or unknowledgeable leaders.
Unorganized and not a good learning enviornment.
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 27, 2016
A typical day at work can be very challenging, most days teachers spend more time calling the dean on students than actually teaching. I don't think it's enough support from administration and the turn over rate is very high.
Pros
I enjoy working with the children.
Cons
The structure of the organization.
Charter School
Group Leader Intern (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 29, 2015
I enjoyed being at Mastery Charter School; however, there need to be a must guarded system for the safety of all students and staff.

Overall, I believed those students need more teachers that can relate and understand their stance in life, rather than, rural teachers gaining a paycheck from urban neighbor schools.
Pros
Urban School
Cons
Need to be relocated to a more subtle environment
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Group Leader Intern (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 4, 2014
• Driving student achievement for students with disabilities
• Responding to progress monitoring results and student assessment data
• Establishing a positive, structured, achievement-focused classroom
• Providing support to students, parents, and general education staff and supporting student learning
• Mentoring and coaching students on self-regulation and organizational skills
• Developing effective IEPs that translate into measurable results for students
• Providing leadership as a member of the Special Education team
• Modeling the Mastery Charter Schools Core Values of respect, integrity, community and excellence influence academic and educational life.
• Working with family and community settings, supporting children with behavioral health challenges, and their families
• Demonstrating the ability to work cooperatively with families and other professionals on behalf of youths and their families.