Mathnasium Employee Reviews

Mediocre place for your child to Learn/teachers to teach
Exceptional Children's Teacher (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 12, 2019
Too much $ for what you get. Student/teacher ratio too high. Too many inexperienced instructors allowing disruptive students to continue their inappropriate behavior. Management cares very little; they tend to placate in order to maintain the parents money. Many instructors are just babies still in High School, w/ no customer service skills, no disp skills, no College degree. I advise a private qualified math instructor to work one on one with your child
Too

Seek a private, professional Math tutor for comparison gdedDegree.FWay typo We sssskills like the other instructors who have college degrees and teaching experience. Way too many “prizes” and “rewards” for little accomplishments executed
Fast-paced work environment!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 11, 2019
Handling multiple students at a time, K through 12, was an enriching experience. However, it was difficult to get many hours of work, and as a college student, that is a major concern.
Pros
Enriching, make your own hours
Cons
Limited hours
Great way to tutor students in an academic environment
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJSeptember 8, 2019
I've tutored privately throughout high school, and my freshman year of college; however, it was tiresome trying to find rolling clientele, and making sure you get paid on time. With Mathnasium, I was able to go somewhere safe, productive, and friendly where learning was the focus. I received a steady stream of income, and didn't have to worry about advertising myself anymore. The shifts are relatively flexible, and both the owners and staff are very friendly. The only major downside is the available hours during the summer months (Jun-Aug).
fulfilling workplace
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cloverly, MDSeptember 4, 2019
I would get in and wait for students to start coming in. It can be a bit stressful trying to juggle multiple students, but ultimately the teaching is fun, and watching the kids learn little by little feels good.
Quick paced work environment
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 4, 2019
Be ready to work with all levels of math which the center has students for. The levels fluctuate from elementary up to college level. It is important to not only know the topics at hand but being able to break them down to different levels based on the types of students you are working with. The work environment is very friendly because of the interactions with the students..
Great place to work if you love helping others.
Lead Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ladera Ranch, CASeptember 1, 2019
Mathnasium is a fantastic place to start working if you are good at math. Here you teach different students a variety of math to help them grow into stronger students. The environment is very healthy, and many of the children make the work day worth it! Depending on the center, it can get really busy at times, so understand that it is really fast paced. We are staffed pretty well so it is not much of an issue!
Pros
Decent pay, Part-Time (for those that can't work 24/7), Positive Environment, Being able to help others
Cons
No benefits, Some students are hard to work with (but think of it as a challenge to figure out how to help them!)
phenomenal place to work !
instructor (Former Employee) –  Mathnasium of LakelandAugust 23, 2019
not only did i have the opportunity to change kids lives through instructing the Mathnasium curriculum, i also gained an amazing new math skill after instructing !
Solid workplace to gain teaching experience
Assistant Center Director (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 21, 2019
Decent workplace with some excellent coworkers. It fostered strong multitasking skills and overall felt like a great experience for teachers. It was a somewhat laid back work culture where it payed to foster a friendly but professional relationship with your students. I recommend it.
Nice place to work, pay is ok
Center Director (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 16, 2019
If you are looking for a entry level position, that is exactly what you'll get. You can expect what most corporate type of companies do. They like lots of experience but can't really pay much without attaching a bonus type of pay structure. Nice place to work but I do feel they can afford to pay more.
Don't Stay For Too Long
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chatham, NJAugust 14, 2019
In a nutshell, the employees are great but the management is awful. The job starts off ok but then they slowly pile on more responsibilities and expect you to do it in a very short amount of time. You are frequently scolded for overtime, forcing employees to cut corners just to get all tasks done. There is very little opportunity for advancement. They offer a raise if you complete the entire training program but most never do as there is always so much to do. Management can be borderline abusive towards some employees. The job is ok if you're just there while you finish school or just planning to be there for a little while after you graduate but staying there for too long is not advised.
Dope place to practice your teaching and math skills
Lead Instructor (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVAugust 10, 2019
A really good place to start for any education major. Students are always going to test your patience. Everything done at my location was always down for the student's educational growth. Student was always first
Small learning center with many students in attendance
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2019
Mathnasium has been a great job for growing my skills working with children as well as my account management skills. I began as an instructor and was promoted to an Assistant Director after about 1 year. I worked on scheduling, assessing students, lead tracking, and was in constant communication with parents. The workplace was casual but some of the structure of the management is confusing and has gaps in terms of covering all responsibilities the center needs.
Fast-paced math instruction
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 5, 2019
Opening in the afternoon, mathnasium offers a pace-paced environment ideal in many ways for current college students. Teaching up to three students at one time, you have one or two other instructors in your area that can assist you when needed.
Management is constantly seeking to improve instructor knowledge through assessments and worksheets that the students use to ensure we are familiar with the topics and can teach it the Mathnasium way. The math program itself works well as we teach for understanding not just to cover topics to get an answer.
That said, management constantly seeks for us to get better. While we can get up and take breaks, the fast-paced nature of the job provides little downtime for them. Management often seems better at providing feedback on what we missed rather than successes.
Most enjoyable part is working with students and seeing that "A-ha" moment when they realize they understand the concept. Hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the difficult children who don't feel like working and can potentially derail other students' work.
Each work day is a bit different. Students can come for instruction at their convenience 2-3 times a week. With no appointments, there is a rush around dinner time and can be very stressful during the school year when trying to instruct three students while simultaneously grading their homework.
Offer flexible scheduling, although could provide the schedule a bit further in advance than the day before the start of the work week.
Pros
Flexible hours, seeing students "get" a math concept.
Cons
Short breaks, stressful work environment at times.
Great place to work if you love kids and math
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VAJuly 29, 2019
I love this job! The kids, for the most part, are great. I get to teach math and help kids improve their skills. The downtime tasks, when the place isn't busy, are really easy and fun. Overall it's a great place to work! However, training does take 60 days and the pay is $8-9 an hour and they don't work you very much. It's definitely a great job to start with, however, if you have a lot to pay for, I wouldn't recommend it.
Very fun and engaging work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJuly 28, 2019
Mathnasium is a good place to work because you are always busy and constantly working on math and engaging with the kids getting tutoring. You typically spend half the time grading papers and half the time assisting students with their math problems.
Training wheels tutoring
Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJuly 25, 2019
Good for a high school math whiz, but not so much for an experienced adult. I had no previous experience, and liked the location, but never got offered a raise in three years. Asked for one and got it upon completion of a bachelor's degree for $1.50 more/hour. My degree warrants more, and most other places have a minimum base pay $7.00 more/hour.

Love the kids, but can't afford what amounts to charity.
Pros
Great kids (usually)
Cons
Unwilling/unable to compensate college grads
Fun, laid-back environment
Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 22, 2019
Typical Day: supervise and tutor kids on math worksheets
Learned: Basic Maths
Management: very good
Workplace culture: kind, caring
Hardest part: repetition of tasks
Most Enjoyable part: grading
Productive Workspace
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2019
It's a workplace where your employers are willing to teach you new skills to help you in your future endeavors. There's plenty of opportunities for you if you're willing to give in the time. Patience and interpersonal skills are critical if you want to do well in this company.
Fun Workplace
Math Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 19, 2019
Nice atmosphere working with all groups of ages. You learn a lot from kids. However, the shifts and schedules may change a lot. Not a very reliable place for a steady income.
Terrible Pay and No Benefits
Lead Instructor (Former Employee) –  Holly Springs, NCJuly 15, 2019
It's great to be able to help students learn math, but for no pay and no hours, it isn't worth it. Most tutors will get paid at least $12.00/hour but I started out with $8.00. Good co-workers, fun students, fun job; terrible management and terrible pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mathnasium. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2