MathWorks Employee Reviews

MathWorks
Senior Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Natick, MASeptember 7, 2018
I enjoyed my 14+ years at the MathWorks very much - loved the products, the people and the culture. It was and remains a huge, privately held software company and as such there were challenges; sometimes the pace of change, advancement and processes were difficult to accept/navigate but overall I loved my time there and miss my former colleagues very much. So many really wonderful people there.
Pros
Superb products and great people
Cons
Glacial pace of change and no allowance on working remotely
Great place to intern
DSP Systems Toolbox Intern (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAJanuary 24, 2019
They care a lot about their interns and provide lots of opportunities to get involved with the company as well as things that make it fun to work there. I participated in the Battle of the Interns while I was there as well as a hackathon.
Good opportunity for Interns
Web Application Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAOctober 16, 2018
Interns are given equal opportunity to get involved in software development and an excellent opportunity to learn latest technical skills. The management and team members are also very helpful and provide you with all the support needed.
Fun workplace full of talented and experienced engineers
Automated Driving and Deep Learning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Novi, MISeptember 9, 2018
Love Mathworks for the freedom it provides to be creative and come up with original contributions. In a nutshell, great company to work for and fantastic quality of work that challenges and excites you as an engineer.
Pros
Free Cookies, Drinks
good place to work
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Natick, MANovember 21, 2018
people are kind and nobody can get in the building unless they got a badge. people are always working so the way the company makes working late a little better is by having activities and bringing food to work and sharing it with everyone.
2 different kind of place
Database Specialist (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAJanuary 8, 2019
There are some areas that are outstanding to work for but there are some places where management makes it difficult with lack of training and support.
It's like joining a cult
Employee (Current Employee) –  Natick, MADecember 2, 2018
To be fair if you are the type of person that wants to settle in their career and find a company that will welcome you with open arms so long as you follow and obey their rules this is a great place to work.
However, if you are someone that wants to stay current in their field, a person that wants to bring new and innovative ideas to the table, a person that knows the difference between core values and operating principles then I suggest that you look for another company. MathWorks is a company with incredibly strong core values. Unfortunately, the values are so strong that they act as a strangle hold on the business where people can avoid change simply by saying things like "that new process or idea is out of model / not part of MathWorks culture" even if the change is 100% necessary. This has a resulted in a large number of managers that outside of MathWorks walls would be deemed incompetent by normal company standards. So all in all the best way to sum up MathWorks ... it's like joining a cult.
Pros
No Budgets or accountability. Great place if you are engineer.
Cons
Non-engineers are 2nd rate citizens. No flexibility to change / "we are different here" complex
Excellent place to work - challenging, collaborative, and fun!
Recruiting Manager (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAApril 24, 2018
MathWorks offers a challenging and fulfilling work environment. Our products significantly impact the world in a positive way and even as a staff member outside of software development, I feel I am contributing to our mission. The culture is fantastic and the work/life balance is there - my colleagues have smiles on their faces and embrace the collaborative approach. Also, there are no better examples of living the core values of the company, than the senior leadership.
Pros
Collaboration, work/life balance (working smart, not just hard), challenging
Cons
Because of the focus on collaboration, at times the pace can be slower than you wished
Fun place
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAJuly 21, 2018
I love this place I get the chance to help other kids in need in their education. And I help them in other subjects like: math, social studies, ELA, and science.
Pros
Free lunch, long breaks
Cons
Have to pay for lunch and get 15 minutes in break.
Good work-life balance, mediocre pay, few career growth options
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAMay 30, 2018
Good work-life balance, mediocre pay, few career growth options.

A company with solid fundamental catering to mostly well establish industrial clients.

Fair work environment but very slow growth options.

Want to know more about MathWorks?

Ask a question
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAJune 18, 2018
Great place to work. Good coworkers. Excellent place to start a career. Growth opportunity for proper skill sets as well as good insurance and benefits.
Interesting work but poor management
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAMarch 21, 2018
The work was interesting, the product is very cool. However management is poor and corporate politics abound. No longer allows working remotely or shifted hours, which is horrible when you have a long commute.
Good place if you want to learn something
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAMarch 26, 2018
Good place if you want to learn something
Not good at benefit of pay, comparing to other high-tech companies
Always challenging tasks
Very friendly coworkers.
Great and fun place to work
Software Engineer in Test for HDL Coder (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAMarch 4, 2018
The MathWorks is a great place to work and it provides a good work-life balance. The staff is very smart and extremely accommodating. The managers are extremely helpful and understanding.
Product focused company
Application Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAFebruary 3, 2018
Good work life balance. Great CEO. Minimal but sufficient benefits. But the company is more product focused rather than engineering focused which creates some issues in the quality of code.
Very good company and colleagues
Software Engineer in Test (Current Employee) –  Natick, MANovember 27, 2017
MathWorks is a great company, and I consider myself fortunate to have the opportunity to work there. I found my colleagues to be on average very friendly and respectful, while bright and knowledgeable.
Pros
Good work-life balance, good culture, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Rather slow moving
fun and productive
Desktop Support Technician (shadowing) (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAJanuary 31, 2018
Great place with great resources and a ton of professional people that made work easy every time I was there.
Its a wonderful environment to explorer and bring your ideas to life.
Employee centric
Cloud Engineer/WebOps Administrator (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAFebruary 13, 2018
Employee centric. Casual and fun places to work with lots of perks and fun activities. Great location and centrally located. Great parking spots and picnics.
Well run and a good company over all
Marketing Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAFebruary 5, 2018
Good company, but too big for my tastes. Corporate culture is a bit stuffy and rigid. Very difficult to effect change and too many layers of management.
Application Support Engineer
Application Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAAugust 12, 2017
EDG is a great place for a beginner but not so great for someone with experience and advanced level degrees. Also a great place for someone wanting to change their field (for example from Engineering to Tech Support or Engineering to Marketing/Sales and so on).
Pros
Good place for someone beginning his career and for someone wanting to change his field

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MathWorks. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at MathWorks.

Powered by Comparably