Matrix Human Services Employee Reviews

Very rewarding work to help families
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48201June 13, 2018
Job rewarding and great working with families. Had great supervisors and co-workers. Enjoyed the head start children and being of help to the parents.
Pros
Work atmosphere was good
Cons
healthcare, PTO days
Diverse work environment
Parent Educator Associate (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 16, 2018
Matrix allows for a great opportunity to learn about various cultures and backgrounds. It allows one to become culturally competent. Enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Diverse Population
Cons
Very limited Work Space
Calm and relaxing work place with great management
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 7, 2018
Matrix Human Services was a great and well balanced job. There was always something for me to do while working there. But the work that I received was never overwhelming.
Intern
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 24, 2018
I interned at Matrix Human Services while in graduate school. It wasn't really an appropriate placement for me as a clinical student but I made the most of it and was able to work with one of their affiliated programs which was more in-line with what I needed.
Pros
Friendly and engaging staff
Cons
Non-therapeutic
nepotism at its finest
HEAD START TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 18, 2018
I don't like to taint people's perception, I would just say if you come, come at your own risk. There is a lot of favoritism and nepotism when it comes to salary and advancement.
Good Social Services Organization
INFORMATION RESOURCES/PROGRAMS MANAGER & TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 22, 2018
Most employees are dedicated to their missions to serve clients and I valued my duties and responsibilities during the years of employment. Much was learned and accomplished.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of resources at times
Looking for an Advancement in my Nursing Career
CARE COORDINATION NURSE (Former Employee) –  FerndaleFebruary 7, 2018
Most enjoyable part of the job was flexibility and enjoyed attending the trainings. The hardest part of the job I had to stay away from the second-hand smoke.
It's an awesome place to work.
Lead Teacher/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 5, 2018
A typical day at work. Greeting our families and children, in the morning. Have the children sign in, wash hands and eat breakfast. Following our daily schedule and lesson plan is very rewarding.
I learned that greeting our parents and calling them by their names makes the parents more open to you and your communication is a lot easier.
Management is awesome, it's not micro-managed. They give you a job to do and the authority to get it done.
The culture is very diverse.
The hardest part of the job is when you have so much that you want to do for your parents and children and there is not enough down time and you have to take the work home to complete it.
The most enjoyable part is seeing the look on a child and parent face when that child have accomplished a goal that was set by the teacher and parent working together.
Pros
Excepts children from 0 to 5 years, Free lunches, Free program
Cons
Need more teachers
Great workplace
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 27, 2017
It is a great environment to work in. You meet new people the children are very fun to work with. The staff is very diverse and you will learn different ways of life.
nice work place
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 17, 2017
nice relaxed family like environment. staff is awesome as well as human resources open door policy. communication is good. overall great company and cool perks.
Pros
free breakfast lunch and snack
Cons
health care for family can be expensive
Low Morale, Unprofessional Management
Building Associate (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 13, 2017
A typical day involves children/parents arriving late at arrival and dismissal time. I've learned that the parents are able to do as they please ; upper management does not back up the center staff. Families that are being serviced are constantly allowed to disrespect the center staff without any repercussions. The workplace culture is horrible; staff wears whatever and no one is professional for the most part. The hardest part of the job is dealing with children after dismissal time. Parents do not provide the common courtesy of calling to inform staff that they'll be late, late parents are repetitive. The most enjoyable part of the job is 3:45, especially on a Friday.
Pros
Mon-Fri schedule
Cons
high health insurance, disrespectful parents and children, arrival and dismissal times not being enforced, sick children coming to school
I learned a lot about children with disabilities.
Disability Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 21, 2017
I learned how to conduct tests and formulate scores. I learned about Individual Education Program (IEP's) and referred children to special education.
Pros
Working there felt like being a part of an extended family.
Cons
I had to service four different centers a week.
A great way to get your foot in Education
Building Associate (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 30, 2017
A typical day at work is fast paced greeting the families and seeing all the childrens smiling faces everyday is heart warming. I learn that if you listen very closely, you may help out in some way. Management in my area is fair and very creative. The workplace culture is beyond memorizing how the families come together to rejoice what we do for the community. The hardest part of the job is having to face issues with behavioral students, the most enjoyable part is being able to solve the issues, seeing the community come together to part take in volunteering in the school, seeing the children everyday, and the work day going by fast by all the production being done.
Pros
Trainings, the CEO being very communicative throughout the agency, & benefits
Cons
Short breaks or no break at all (due to busy days)
Good opporunity to enter into Education/Teaching
Lead Head Start Teacher (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 14, 2017
Matrix has a culture that does not operate at a highly professional level. This non-profit has good intentions, but poor execution. I understand that this is a company that gives second chances, but more training should be provided in professional ethics.
Pros
Great work hours
Cons
Poor Culture
Total Disregard for employees, lack of professionalism, ghetto
Family Advocate (Former Employee) –  Head startJuly 28, 2017
The politics and ego driven nature of this company and the over all cover up of wrong doings are insurmountable. The only positive thing for employees were the benefits and pay which run equal to other agencies in this field. There are many upper manager who dont have a clue what their job is or anyone else's, they just make up things as they go along. The management staff will steal your ideas for there own and fire you when you expose wrong doing in the company through constructive feedback. The clients have complained about the level of unprofessional-ism and the ever shrinking services. I am greatfull however for my clients and for the opportunity to gain experience and to learn what never to do!
Pros
Cons
Every thing
nonprofit life
Development and Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 27, 2017
Always doing good.
Working with small budgets is a consideration.
Can be emotionally hard.
Must be willing to work in a diverse work place.
Feels good to help others.
Great Job
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 20, 2017
Good Benefits, like working with families, admisintrative is willing to work with you..sad that we don't work summers. Compensation is comparable with other opportunities
Pros
free lunches, good hours
Challenging experience
MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 14, 2017
While Matrix seems to be primarily a Head Start program, my experience with them was as a social work intern not involved with Head Start. In the year I was there, four people left the department I interned in, making for a lack of management. I felt that there was a lack of meaningful activities for me to do on most days that would help prepare me for entering the workforce outside of school. When interviewing for the internship the manager was an hour and a half late, and when interviewing for a paid position with a different department I never heard back.
Pros
Diversity of services for wide range of clients
Cons
Negative corporate culture, shrinking services to clients
This is a care giver position that requires interaction with a single individual.
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 11, 2017
I arrive at the clients home, cook meals, assist with bathing and dressing, make up her bed and do house cleaning. There is no real management or co-workers. The hardest part of the job is driving from Novi to Detroit in bad weather.
Pros
I set my own time daily
Cons
Not enough pay or benefits.
Matrix Human Services
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 10, 2017
Large corporation with many divisions. This corporation has been around for a long time and has recently made a few changes. Does not give a lot of room for growth.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Long hours with no room for advancement