Matrix Technologies, Inc. Employee Reviews

A transitioning company
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHJuly 16, 2018
Was once a great company that cared for its employees. Over the years have gradually turned into a large engineering company and the company culture has changed to match. They have had 2 large layoffs in the past 4 years and after both have brought in inexperienced engineers as needed to fill the lost positions. Great place to start and get a few years of experience in a variety of projects. With all the young engineers training is always available.
Pros
Alot of training due to the plethora of young engineers.
Cons
Multiple layoffs in the past 4 years.
Mechanical Process Co-op
Mechanical Process Engineer Co-op (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 9, 2018
Enjoyed it here,. My co-op contract was extended twice, I was there for a year but no position was available when I graduated. I did a lot of CAD work in AutoCAD and SolidWorks.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Lots of growing pains
Other (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHFebruary 7, 2018
The company has grown at a steady rate the last few years. Like many company's in similar situations there are a lot of growing pains. Management seems to be divided between embracing growth and maintaining traditions, just for the sake of keeping things the same. It has caused frustrations at all levels, and undue negativity.

While there are strong managers and leaders in the company, it is not consistent. The company struggles with holding it's employees to the same level of accountability.

There is a serious lack of appreciation and value in it's administrative personnel. A players in the operations side have been over-utilized and experience burnout. Balance has been a struggle.
Pros
Growth opportunities (for operations), Training and development (for operations), Variety of work
Cons
Inconsistencies across management, growing pains
Good Work Enviroment Short Term Employment for Many Positions
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHNovember 18, 2017
Individual works on assigned projects daily. Travel to customer sites as required.

Salaried positions with contract work model based on company winning repeated sales. If a project is available to charge to, there is work to do. If no project available in your discipline and sales are down, then nothing to do and you are to ask around to others for work.

Exposure to multiple engineering fields and various customer companies nationwide.

Relaxed work atmosphere in office. Good managers in some areas.

Company hires multiple workers as interns and graduates right out of college and many leave after getting a couple years experience. High employee turnover due to repeated layoffs when business is down. Employees disappear with no explanation if they have no chargeable work for extended time periods.

Minimal room for advancement. Cramped working quarters.
Pros
Learn experience in other fields. Flex time. Some free lunches.
Cons
Job security. Weekly time input required.
November 20, 2017

Thank you for your feedback! Matrix is very diverse in our services and the people we employee.

We're very proud of our high retention rate. Most of our departments are small, so a turnover here or there may seem high, but in fact Matrix has an over 90% retention rate. In fact, Matrix has only had two layoffs in our 37+ year company history.

Project variety, full benefits, tuition and certification assistance, as well as professional membership programs, flexible scheduling and a casual atmosphere are just some of the things that attract (and retain) people to Matrix!

We strive to grow from within. The majority of our management and leadership staff began with Matrix began in junior level engineering and technical roles. Employees have annual formal performance reviews and informal career conversations throughout the year to keep them on track towards their next role. We offer a senior technical, engineering management, and project management career path for our operations staff. Roles also expand by way of new and/or increased responsibilities to keep work challenging and engaging.

Great to work here
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 31, 2017
Professional and fun. Training is available and encouraged. Advancement is available to climb in the organization. Straight time for overtime (as opposed to salary).
Pros
Team building events, technical training, good benefits
Matrix Technologies
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHMarch 13, 2017
Working at Matrix is always enjoyable and busy. I have learned that work is fun and working as a team makes the difference everyday. The management is easy to work with and open to your opinion and new ideas to help the company grow in any way. The workplace culture is something I enjoy everyday. My co-workers and peers are there to help and find new ways of doing things. It is never boring!!
The hardest part of the job is finding good quality candidates for open positions quickly. Growing company is what I would categorize Matrix as.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working together as a team to get the job done!!
November 20, 2017

Thank you for your feedback! Matrix IS growing. Since 2013 Matrix has added offices in Kansas City, Minneapolis, and Cincinnati. Our team has grown from just under 200 employees corporate-wide to over 330, and sales have increased over $10MM.

Thank you for being a valuable member of our team!

What you learned
Project Leader (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHSeptember 12, 2016
Learn a lot, great group of people to work with and learn new ideas. Also the way to start and finish a project is top notch, I haven't seen another company do it better. From management down one of the best companies to work for.
Pros
About everything
Cons
Almost nothing.
Great sense of community
NA (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHJune 8, 2015
The best thing about working for Matrix is the culture. I like going to work and being able to call my coworkers my friends. It's a very team oriented and collaborative work environment. I like that the company holds functions and the employees put together their own teams and events to get together outside of working hours.

The only negative I can really say is that the vacation time is lacking. It seems like most people in our industry have a few more days. A lot of us work long hours or put in extra time on the weekends for projects. It would be nice to have a few more days of vacation to help balance that out.
Pros
team oriented, valued employees, great culture
January 13, 2016

Thank you for the feedback! We're excited to share that in July 2015 Matrix increased it's vacation days policies. We also are proud to share our standard flex-time policy.

A lot of interesting projects, friendly work environment
Associate Engineer, Process Solutions Department (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHApril 18, 2015
I really enjoy working for Matrix. We have a great team and I have had a chance to work on a variety of projects and work closely with other engineering disciplines.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Matrix Technologies, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2