Matson Employee Reviews

Avoid working in IT here
Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 20, 2019
IT is managed with hostility and fear-based leadership.

You are given no budget, a skeleton crew and are expected to deliver projects NASA would be proud of.

If you are not fired as a scapegoat like I was, you will end up on FMLA like everyone else when your health falls apart due to always having 200 projects that are pressing and 1/10 the necessary staff to carry them out, all while budgets and costs sit unapproved on a VPs desk, who will ask you every other month how said project is going and then yell and slam his fist on the nearest table when you explain that nothing has been done since nothing was approved.

This is a great company to work for, the c-levels are great people, but the IT department is where careers go to die.

I was lucky enough to be fired, do not be like me, do not ever start here.
Pros
... Ships? Cool CEO, CFO and such
Cons
Being yelled at, called worthless and ruining your home life
Amazing company with amazingy people
Employee (Current Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILFebruary 13, 2019
I have worked at this company for several years. The management is great and they treat you very well. You are not just another body at a desk. Upper management from corporate comes in only a few times a year but they make it a point to know your name and talk with you when they can. The only thing negative is over a couple of years we’ve been growing and hiring many new people. Unfortunately many of those new hires have no work ethic and are doing the bare minimum to scrape by while playing on their cell phones all day or taking too many breaks and extended lunches. We really scraped the bottom of the barrel when we hired these people. They are ruining moral for those of us that work hard every day and making people angry having to clean up their mistakes, not just within the operations department but in other departments as well. Fortunately their management is doing something about these issues and is putting stricter policies in place to ensure everyone is doing their job. Some of these people are just so miserable here and don’t know what they are doing that they should be fired.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Recent hire mistakes
Poor Management
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJanuary 23, 2019
Matson could be a great company however due to the management team in operations it makes it hard to come to work everyday. You are treated like you are in grade school here. The top female manager here has set the tone which is negative. She complains about everything down to how you walk past her desk. She is very rude and she will talk negative about you to other team members. Not a professional environment however they will like you to be. Its sad there are nice people that work here but due to the manager they have in charge right now she is doing a poor job of leading. She runs the place more like a dictatorship. You can report to HR all day won't help she has been here for almost 20 years they believe her over the rest of the team. To make things worse she has promoted two others to be mean rude and manipulative just like she is. The hardest part of the job is going to the rest room in enough time so that you won't be asked why you took so long. Please don't have a family emergency she only cares if you have an animal not a human being. The upper mangement we see once a year during the Holiday season they compiment us on how well we are doing they know that we all work hard. The women that are over us now they forget that part instead they will rather yell and right you up for checking in on your children. So I suggest you do not work here if you have a life or a family or if you drink water througout the day and have to go to the rest room..She will be all up in your business also. She is not a good look for this company if only the upper management team can see this.
Pros
Nice building
Cons
The manager is rude and she is cut throat
productive workplace with motivated and competent officers
Deck Cadet (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 12, 2019
The experience I had with matson was unique and absolutley eye opening as someone trying to break the ice into this industry. From the panama canal, to seattle, oakland, and finally hawaii I had a blast.
Pros
stable working conditions
Cons
hard job to get through the union
very good job
Clamp operator (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GAOctober 4, 2018
it was a real good job and I liked it a lot but I messed it up I blame myslf and wish I still had that job very good pay and at least 40 hours of overtime everyweek
Pros
2 free breacks
Cons
short breaks
Account Specialist
ACCOUNT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 10, 2018
Working here is great, if you stay to yourself.
Ability to move departments and learn new skills.
You learn a lot about freight shipping.
hour lunch, 15 min breaks, and paid holidays.
Benefits and 401k
Drama is everywhere especially with management, favorites are chosen for raises and awards.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor management
Loved working for this company
Ordinary Seaman (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CA 94607July 9, 2018
This company is amazing but seeing as it is shipping you tend to be far away from home. Pay is amazing the career is amazing but if being away from you loved ones is something you can handle it’s a great career
Pros
Great career
Cons
Away from home
N/a
Sit Down Clamp Operator, Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 6, 2018
Overall a good place to work. The only major issues is they have a tendency to call you Friday night and tell you to come in Saturday morning to help weekend shift . I don't agree with the whole last minute thing.
Supervisor of Stevedore Operations (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HIJune 10, 2018
There is no training nor organizational training development plan to train new employees. All are "on the job"... poor management, and a culture of exclusion if not hired from within.
Poor Management
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GAJune 5, 2018
Management is never involved in day to day operations unless customer is onsite. They all stay in their offices in the front , so staffing is left to run crazy. Nobody has proper leadership. Rules only applied to employees that are not bosses favorites. Hourr are not reliable. You go from working 2 days a week to them wanting 7 days a week from you.
Cons
Short Breaks, bad management
Very unorganized and incompetant management
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GAJune 2, 2018
Very unorganized and incompetent management. No sense of teamwork between the 3 shifts. I wouldn't recommend to anyone seeking a professional setting.
Pros
Decent pay for the area
Cons
Very unorganized.
Not for young talent
HR Professional (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 29, 2018
Management will constantly beat you over the head about the values and how great Matson is then make decisions that directly conflict with what they said. Manager training is non-existent causing poor decisions and even questionable activity with no recourse. Like many companies Matson is not about what you do but about who you know and the "perception" they have about you. Definitely not a place for young talent. No desire to modernize and improve things. Salary, promotions, and new hire are entirely based on age and years working, not experience, value, or talent. Perfect place to phone it in before you retire.
great place to work if money isnt an issue
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 21, 2018
Although you work individually, you always have a team behind you. The pay is fine if you don't have a lot of financial responsibilities or you aren't working for the pay check.
horrible job
Seasonal Clamp driver (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GA 31322May 12, 2018
very poor place to work very hard to get alomg with management. it jas a very high turn over rate with employees and has very dirty wok conditions. i do nkt recommend
Family like atmosphere
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  ArizonaMay 11, 2018
Great company with many opportunities for advancement. Great work like balance. Genuine concern for their employees. Benefits are good compared to the market.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Structured
Wonderful place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 10, 2018
I would recommend Matson to everyone. This company is committed to customer service in all of its' departments. Great management staff and coworkers!
They toss hours on you.
Picker/Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GAApril 10, 2018
Working for the Union
Union Laborer (Former Employee) –  Dutch Harbor, AKApril 3, 2018
Working for the Union was a really good paying job. People were polite and were willing to lend you a helping hand if you needed help. Learned how to work together as a unit and looking out for others. Safety was really important in this job, everyone looked out for one another in case something happens.
Pros
Good breaks, Good paying job, Safety is great!
matson
Dispatch Clerk/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GAMarch 26, 2018
I enjoyed working at Matson. Very friendly environment. I liked the fact that they did have rules and expectations. Pay was fair. Manager was nice and respectful.
Pros
lunxh
Cons
breaks
really easy work , the pay just isn’t good enough
epj driver at matson in pooler ga (Current Employee) –  Pooler, GAMarch 12, 2018
pay not good enough , the people are friendly , management is good , the hours aren’t worth the pay to drive the equipment, i have to drive a long ways to get too work also that’s why i’m trying to relocate