Matthews International Employee Reviews

Loved my team leader Jay Davis
FLOATER (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INNovember 12, 2018
The ergonomics of the jobs performed weren't looked into often enough. However I did enjoy the work, because of the people I worked for in my area....
Great pay but only temporary work.
Sign Execution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Butler, PANovember 2, 2018
This is a good company to work for if only it wasn't temporary I got laid off after 9 months!
This was a traveling job working 8 to 4 the hours were great the pay was $20 an hour.
Ok if you don't mind 12 hour days
Packaging Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Skillman, NJAugust 21, 2018
If manager is good work is good and team work is good. Its a tough business when they cut back they let you go no problem, even if you are working there for years. And with the same logic you get rehired like nothing happened. You are dispensable, and they let you know it.
Pros
Flexible work from home fridays
Cons
You can work a 12 hour day and it goes unappreciated, as its the norm.
The bronze circus
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 8, 2018
The place is terrible from the outdated Machinery the supervisors the bold-faced lie to you from corrupt CEOs that steal millions of dollars investigated by the FBI 2 dry erase boards that monitor your work to the fact that when people die you make money with your stock Investments it's a circus it's always been a circus it'll always be a circus from the clowns to the freak shows
Pros
You'll always have work making headstones cuz people are always going to die
Specific Requirements
Manager of Purchasing/Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 7, 2018
Hired for a specific purpose.
Was able to manage myself and be autonomous.
Was able to solve problems using common sense and business experience.
Eventually outgrew the position.
Some of the best years of my life!
Customer Service / Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INAugust 1, 2018
I worked in the Memorialization segment. It is a very fast paced environment. I wouldn't call it a job so much as a way of life. I was on call pretty much around the clock for a lot of years, but well compensated. It can be very stressful due to the nature of the business, but you have a good team to support you. I would recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Good solid corporate structure.
Cons
Stressful!
Overall Great Employers
Operations Support Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 29, 2018
Great place to learn various Technologies. People were just fantastic. I got to work for one of the best IT Supervisors ever. When I was there, the company was doing a major overhaul of there systems. It was a heavy work load but it was worth it in the end.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Long Hours
Out of Control Managment
Engineer (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJune 27, 2018
This would be a great place to work except the leader is awful. The corner office is run by a toxic bully that has almost zero self awareness, belittles and demotivates the staff, and in borderline abusive to the workforce.
Pros
Great Hourly & Supervisor Staff
Moderate atmosphere
Office Manager/HR assistant (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAJune 22, 2018
It is a Company not too concerned with their Employees any longer. When Matthews bought Schawk we became Schawk. It was then it went downhill. Employees would leave for other Jobs and not be replaced. It became too much work on the remaining employees.
Overall, its a good place to work
Operator (Current Employee) –  Searcy, ARJune 13, 2018
It's a workplace that requires manual labor in most job settings. However, you find this out during your interviewing process so it should come as no surprise. I cannot speak for all Matthews locations. But the Searcy, Ar location has made terrific progress concerning safety and the way management interacts with employees in the time that I've been associated with the company. If you're looking for advancement it's not the company for you. However, if you're looking for a steady work schedule, competitive pay, a place where your supervisor isn't hoovering over you if you're doing your job right ,and an overall safe environment. Matthews is perfect for you!!
Pros
Competitive pay and supervisors that basically have an open door policy
Cons
Rare opportunities for advancment
not fun
Sales Representative-Mid Level (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 4, 2018
The culture is chaotic. Sales not only competes with companies outside itself, in addition to competition within Mathews. Management is a dictatorship based upon personal relationships.
Start at the top and cut down. Terrible company
Employee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 30, 2018
Started as a good job for the money. Turned into terrible days. Management lacks a genuine connection with employees. You are considered a body. Matthews doesn’t care about their employees having families or an outside life. Discriminatory comments and actions from management at times. Think they can talk to you any kind of way. Already stressful enough dealing with caskets and dead ppl but to wake up everyday to go to a depressing job where the people don’t care about you is worse. I wouldn’t recommend anyone working here
Pros
Cons
Poor management ruins the company
Would Rather Work at McDonalds
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 21, 2018
The most miserable work environment I've even been in. Management is cut-throat, you are replaced if they find someone they can pay less. I was forced to train non-English speakers to replacement me.
Pros
Cons
low pay, no respect, miserable work environment, forced overtime, terrible maanagement
Ineterested in servicing the customer first.
Regional Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  Northeast RegionApril 30, 2018
Matthew's International is a great place to work with a Safety first policy. Management is always looking for advancement from within. Matthew's has a continuous improvement policy.
Pros
Advancement. Competitive pay.
Cons
Healthcare.
Had it's up and downs
Consultant/Contractor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2018
I loved the work I did but upper management were mostly backstabbers looking out for themselves. Co-workers were mostly supportive so they helped improve job situation.
Rapidly growing company with great opportunities
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2018
I love being part of a rapidly growing company. The skills and experience I have gained will be forever useful. With the company's growth and desire to remain an industry leader, I look forward to the opportunities that lie ahead. If you enjoy a fast-paced, collaborative work environment, where your efforts are valued, I recommend Matthew's International.
Stressful Environment
Administrative/Sales Support/Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 6, 2018
Stressful environment to work in, a lot expected with limited staff. Company used to be customer service based now just seems to be money driven, forgetting about the customers.
Ok work place
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Benton, KYMarch 3, 2018
It is an ok work place. You may have very long days I thank the most I worked in a day ways over 14 hours. But you may have some that you only work 6 hours.
Great company to work at...
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 20, 2018
Overall really exciting company to work for. Lots of challenges, and opportunities to continue learning. Lots of growth through acquisitions that is providing growth opportunities.
Pros
Growing company
dishonest management
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  York, PA 17406February 7, 2018
The Management team are not trust worthy, to many run arounds, never can get a straight answer, they are just plain lairs.especially the HR group.....
Pros
Good pay, and overtime
Cons
poor Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Matthews International. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight