Very long hours, pay is moderate, and a lot of downtime.
Showroom Manager (Current Employee) – New Jersey – January 2, 2019
- typical day at work will consist of you waiting around for customers to come in. realistically, you will see 0-3 people a day, majority of the time its 0-1. it's what they call the "mattress lottery". you can work the best showroom (numbers wise) and still see nobody.
- you do learn and you can craft your sales skills, as you will encounter a wide variety of clients that walk into your showrooms.
- management varies. most managers do not care for employee work/life balance, and if you need to call out for a family emergency, or any emergency in general, they make you find your replacement for that showroom, or else you have to show up no matter what, when it is the area manger's job that is in charge of the scheduling for the district. again, it varies.
- workplace culture, again, depends on who you're working with. most people i work with are great.
- hardest part of the job, is sitting there for countless hours, just waiting for a customer to come in. most showrooms DO NOT have wifi, and managers were told to tell their employees that it's a money issue, even though Mattress Firm is the #1 mattress provider in all of America. you work 11 hours a day, sometimes to see ZERO people, along with NO WIFI, you are NOT allowed to leave the showroom AND NO OVERTIME PAY. one dud after another.
- the most enjoyable part about the job, and least enjoyable part is the downtime. you can drain your data, and watch movies on netflix, hulu (or tv shows) all day, or you can do something else on the side if possible.
Downtime to catch up on your tv shows and movies.
Cannot leave the showroom, no overtime pay, 11+ hour work days, ZERO work/life balance.