Mattress Firm

Mattress Firm Employee Reviews

United States2,178 reviews
Found 2,178 reviews matching the search
Featured review
Mattress Firm selected this as a representative review
Great job
Great opportunities for advancement and super MattressFirm university courses to help master the position of sleep expert. I have been working for the company a little over a year and am grateful for the management teamwork and the opportunities that have come since being employed here.
Productive and patient environment
I love working for Mattress firm, they care about their employees, they are potent and willing to teach. Ive learned everything from how to build a good work ethic and much more.
Some fun some not.
I worked as an assistant manager position. I was able to be promoted into the role with hard work. After I got the role it seemed like the only way I could progress is to move to the Twin Cities. What made it difficult our store had one delivery day and rarely 2 causing a lot of missed opportunities. Also getting the max commission was harder in our store when the cities had 5 to 7 slots.
Pros
The benefits and base pay was good.
Cons
Hard to reach commission in our store.
Long hours and a huge lack of allowed family time
Mattress Firm is a great company that does their best to train and get their employees moving in the right direction, but lacks in care for personal hours heavily relying on each employee to make their money by sales alone. If a sale isn't made in a day you're scheduled to work, that "blank" day is seen as you not doing something to drive in traffic. Basically, you're held personally responsible. I took this job to maintain my sales abilities, but now feel those skills are being diminished as time passes. Overall, great starter for a novice sales employee, but not the best for an experienced one.
Don't care about their employees
Covid-19 has really shown that MFRM does not care is employees. They told us one week that we'll get disaster pay, the next week they said we wouldn't. They reopened without following any CDC and state guidelines and are double or tripling us unnecessarily at stores for Memorial Day. if you want to work for a company that doesn't care if you live or die then MFRM is right for you
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Awesome place to work
I would recommend this employer for people who work well independently. Who can also work with others well. ********************************************
Good Money/ Dog Eat Dog
I came in from a sleep background and did very well my first year
66,000 my first year 70,000 in my second I found that the more praise I got from my managers or should I say district manager the more my peers envied and made my workplace hostile

it can be a harsh environment Stay to yourself keep your nose clean and make your money you can go a long ways here but it also depends on seniority for promotion I made a lot of people money and was not appreciated the only opportunities I had for promotion were 3 hours away I loved this job just for a second thought I had friends that I was let go please stay to yourself be the best you can be an reap rewards
If you are a loner, it’s perfect for you
Do you want to have a great work life balance, supportive team, and a company that is employee first? Well keep looking, this isn’t for you. Here at Mattress Firm, you are expected to miss out on every life event imaginable. Seriously unless you’re getting married, or dying, forget it. Requesting days off for a doctors visit was like asking for my bosses hand in marriage. Now I did make a lot of money, however I never got to enjoy it. Every holiday was a “Big Sale” that I couldn’t miss (Even ones like President’s day). When I tried to schedule a vacation for my wife’s graduation, 2 weeks before July 4th I was told, “That’s too close to our biggest sale” then I couldn’t help but notice that certain members of leadership were allowed to leave. (Even though 2 of them were bottom performers). They don’t take care of their top guns, they only care about the people who don’t make noise.
Good place if your ok with down time
Good people overall and good place to work, coming from a fast paced and stressful job going into this is a bit of a challenge with the down time in this type of role. Being self sufficient is a key for the jod.
Corporate Family is their only focus
Constant change of focus and payplans to increase company profits . I have had 4 different pay plans since they took over Sleepys . Each one was less than before . If you want to be a follower , then go .
Pros
Nit many
Cons
Lack of personal time, varying pay plan and guidelines .
Currently changes in Senior Management
Excellent people to work with and for prior to COVID19 Furlough. Corporate Office is casual dress with relaxed environment. The people that I have worked with at MFRM made this place that I wanted to retire at. The disruption of business appears to have made this less likely than I hoped.
Great place to work!
Mattress Firm is a wonderful company to work for. Not only do they give you paid training, and lots of ongoing training within your district, but they also have a fantastic commission structure. There is a good sense of trust from upper management in the salespeople, as well as a great camaraderie among all the sales people. I would highly recommend to anyone interested in sales or with sales experience - Mattress Firm is a great place to hone in on your skills and make a good salary. If you are looking to advance in the company there is a lot of room for growth as well!
So frustrating
The managers dont have any idea how to manage people. There is definitely favoritism and if you talk to HR the managment waits for to make s mistake to get there revenge and write you up it's so frustrating
Pros
Willing to teach
Cons
Low pay, management are lazy and has no clue
A job
Income is spotty, and you never know if you will be able to pay your bills. Long hours, with no guarantee of income. Benefits offered are not great, and your portion to pay is high.
Great local and nationwide support
I had a lot of support from local store mangers (Colorado Springs), Area Managers and the District Manager. The hand on training was excellent and helped jump start my ability to preform well. A great deal of online training modules to assist with learning new lines of merchandise.
Pros
Opportunities to win free lunches, great environment to work in, great people to support you
Cons
Your performance is your job
You can be let go at anytime for not meeting goals. 10 hour days Monday-Saturday. Sunday is a short day. Open 7 days a week. Weekends are mandatory. You will most likely be alone after training.
N/a
N/A I was a independent contractor while working there. The few encounters I had with the staff was pleasant but not enough to give a fair review. From my experience not a bad place to work.
Great pay for sales and excellent sales process training. Great company to move up and grow as a sales professional. Rewards employees and gives them a sense of purpose.
Maybe ok for a recent college grad
If you are just trying to get a "foot in the door" of the retail world,maybe a year or two working here is ok. But long term,no way.They give the money making stores to who they like. If you are a good salesman,but tje DM does not like you,you will get bad stores and make no commission.
Pros
Maybe ok as a stepping stone into retail
Cons
Bad work/life balance. Pressured to make sales. No room for advancement at all
Open lines of communication & Great team culture!
Mattress firm offers one of the best work place cultures that I have experienced. The lines of communication is always open and available. The best training is available for your success and overall well being. I totally recommend this company for those who enjoy sales for a career and want to be in a workplace that makes it enjoyable to come to work.
The majority of the people, and not the company itself, made the position gratifying.
I had two concerns while working for MFRM: while there is a lot of talk about promoting a work/life balance, the company does little or nothing to promote it; and, there was a lack of consistency in that the "appropriate sales procedure" seemed to change on a quarterly basis.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mattress Firm. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
Ratings from women
2.9
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight