Maurices Employee Reviews

Found 1,112 reviews matching the search See all 1,144 reviews
Great opprotunities
First Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pendleton, ORJuly 26, 2018
Maurices allows a lot of advancement within. The incentives are great and really help motivate the team. However, unless you're looking for advancing yourself in the company it's just another retail job that's vision is to drive business. The credit card is a big one for Maurices. It's nice that they now allow the 10% for customers who use the card, but I don't want to have to sell it to them. I feel Maurices has too many goals that they want us to achieve at one time. I hate sitting down for meetings because it highlights all these things and it can be overwhelming at times. I've also had a bad experience with another employee while working at another store, and nothing was done about it. Nobody stood up for me and I was really surprised that there were no repercussions for said employee.
I spend 90% of my time at work and I really don't believe I get enough out of it. My team is amazing and so are the perks, but like I said, it's just another retail job.
Pros
Work benefits, incentives, team bonding
Cons
Credit card, too many goals expected to meet
Great First Job
Stylist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yulee, FLJuly 19, 2018
This was my first job, and I fully enjoyed it, worked at the Yulee, FL location (which no longer exists) for 2.5 years. The only complaint I had was the pay I was receiving; even after 2.5 years, I only received a little above minimum wage and was only offered a raise when it was required after 90 days. Culture is very sociable, a little gossipy, but overall made friends and had fun. I called it my "social job". Great part-time benefits too, since you got 40% all regular priced merchandise and 20% sale stuff.
Pros
Discounts, Social Life, Flexibility, Benefits
Cons
Pay
Motivating and enhancing customer focused environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Litchfield, ILSeptember 18, 2018
Team involvement and passion for customers is what makes Maurices special than any other employer that I have had. Maurices considers customer and employee satisfaction in each and every advancement. Competitive pay, discount and benefits.
Pros
Team support, customer experience
Cons
Inconsistent schedule
Maurices
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Defiance, OHDecember 12, 2018
It was fun, but highly stressful. Was not clear on what my position was. Worked long hours, stayed over, went in early, very little to no recognition whatsoever from anyone. Some customers make job enjoyable.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Poor communication, long hours, no benefits.
Fun workplace, but poor management and lots of drama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORApril 9, 2018
I really loved working at Maurices. It was a fun job that felt more like a hobby at times. That was until I realized the bad mouthing and talking behind people’s backs was very intense. Managers were immature and would say rude things about employees. I was forced to do management duties without adequate compensation and was mocked when I brought up the issue. The blame game is strong. If something doesn’t get done the management would blame a stylist for everything wrong with the store. There was a lot of pressure to get things done in a completely impossible time frame that ended up with employees having to work through breaks. Honestly it was a lot of 30+ year olds gossiping like they were in high school. In summary the job is fun, the coworkers were not.
Pros
Discount, fun job
Cons
No advancement, drama, poor management
It was a lot of fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wise, VAOctober 29, 2018
I genuinely loved working here, unfortunately the opportunity to move up to management status didn’t come fast enough. I needed a job with benefits. The atmosphere was fun, the workload was manageable, and the people were great.
Maurice's
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INAugust 27, 2018
I absolutely loved working for this company! Management was stressful for me but the company itself is honestly very well put together. Maurices is a company that you can improve your skills on fast.
Pros
Great company, enthusiastic, encouraging
Cons
Health benefits, physical labor
Sales associate to Store Leader.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Silver City, NMMarch 19, 2018
I started working here in 2014 as a sales associate, back then my hours were all over the place like any retail store which was fine at the time. Over the years I was able to climb the ladder of positions and ended up the store leader within 18 months of my hire date. In December 2017 my store got news that we would be closing on January 31. From late December to early January I never once got a call from my district leader nor anyone at the home office, and nobody came to help with our store closing which I found extremely disrespectful. My employees and I stuck it out till the end because we knew it was the right thing to do, yet we had no support from our higher ups. I was disappointed in the lack of communication during the last month, along with a few other behaviors I had witnessed. Overall, I think maurices is a great company to work for as a job, but not as a career.
Pros
Paid time off, benefits, competitive pay, incentives.
Cons
Inconsistent hours, lack of communication.
Enjoyable
Part-Time Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Maryville, TNJuly 16, 2018
As with any retail system, a typical day consists of taking care of customers, making sure the store is clean, and stock is regularly put out. It's an enjoyable job with little stress and good support from management.
Pros
relaxing environment, no stress
Cons
no benefits below full time
The actual work is fun but the company not so much
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sturgeon Bay, WIMarch 17, 2018
The work like balance was a little rough- being understaffed leaves one working 10-12 days in a row (I needed the money but did get burnt out very quickly) No real room for advancement, definitely was not compensated for the amount of work done. If you are not the full time store leader or first assistant then unfortunately not given benefits or appropriate pay.
The store leader and wanting her to succeed was the only reason I stayed until I relocated.
40% discount right away.
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
No advancement, very poor pay, no benefits, very little work/life balance
Lovely place to work!
Assistant Womenswear Designer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2018
Maurices is a unique fashion brand to work for. Everyone is very kind. The environment is a happy one, and it is hard to find such a thing in the fashion industry.
Pros
Free coffee, great enviornment, able to work remotely, travel
Cons
salary freeze
Awesome company with incredible benefits and pay
Customer Service, Number 1 (Current Employee) –  Wisconsin Dells, WISeptember 3, 2018
Maurices is about putting their employees first. You get a good chunk of payed time off and awesome other benefits. Maurices really cares about their people.
Depends SOLELY on Store & First Assistant Manager!!!
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INNovember 26, 2018
I worked at the Warsaw Maurices where the Store manager and First Assistant do nothing but bully their employees. If not in front of them then behind their backs. It was like working in "Mean Girl" immature environment. During my time there they would even mock their employees in front of customers. It was then I decided it was time for me to go. I also left because they would vindictively schedule the rest of the team to work EVERY weekend and EVERY holiday while they would have off. It is a toxic environment with corrupted managers like them. Besides myself MANY have quit because of the drama this store has created. However, Maurices as a company is GREAT and if you have a good management team it can easily motivate you and can become a successful career!
Pros
Flexible Hours, Discounts
Cons
Management, Pay
Productive, fun and relaxed workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tiffin, OHAugust 21, 2018
It was a very nice work environment and the people were nice. I liked the benefits and the hours worked perfect for me. I would recommend this to a friend!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks
Fun, team orientated environment
Visual Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 1, 2018
Great company to work for. I worked for Maurices for 7 years. Advanced all the way up the ladder. Given many opportunities to travel to other stores and corporate HQ. Great incentives, recognition, and praise. Team felt like family. Supportive of ideas and ways to make the business better.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Retail Schedule -evenings, nights, weekends
Great company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 21, 2018
Maurices of the company was inspiring to work for and the culture permeated all aspects. However with tough retail climates, you could really feel the stress from upper management about pushing cells making numbers and cutting cost. The last minute marketing installations home office would make we're stressful to execute cutting into work-life balance.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
If district is missing comp, it was very stressful
Underpaid with a lot of broken promises
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  College Place, WASeptember 11, 2018
I was promised the world with a lot of advancement opportunities, certain number of hours as well as learning opportunities, and when I accepted the job and started working there, I realized I had made a mistake. There was a lot of deception in the hiring process. The management loves the new hires and once the honeymoon phase ends you might as well leave.
Pros
Solid pay but not enough for the job requirements
Cons
Petty co workers, no culture
Ok place to work
Stylist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMay 3, 2018
I wouldn't try to make working for this company a career there's little to no room for growth the manager had a bad attitude towards staff it was a highly stressful job
Pros
The assistant manager was amazing
Cons
No place for growth not much hours no benefits for be sales associates
Inconsistent and Unrealistic Expectations
Store Leader (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILDecember 4, 2018
Worked for company for 2 years as a store manager. District leaders set inconsistent goals and unrealistic goals as well. Inconsistent follow up or lack of communication by management in quite a few cases. Threatening of position constantly and changing set goals when giving performance reviews. Unprofessional during performance reviews.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hsa, Work Life Balance, low Pay, Management
The initial greeting is strong, but don't buy into it
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYMarch 3, 2018
The management within this company is horrendous. They promote a care culture that encourages a strong work life balance, but it doesn't actually exist. Managers are expected to train themselves; how do you expect someone to effectively train an entire staff if they're simultaneously training themselves? The initial training is fun and exciting, and they do a great job at getting you excited to be a part of this company. While maurices has a great culture and business model in theory, I couldn't name one person in a management position who authentically carried out these ideas. This is not an easy job, and if you're joining a fully staffed store there is little room for advancement. Proceed with caution.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Terrible management, zero work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maurices. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight