Mavis Discount Tire Employee Reviews

Good company
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Island Park, NYJanuary 20, 2019
Great work place just need to pay more to workers the company needs to raise rates hit tire techs and also mechanics and Allow over time weekly to everyone
Pros
Great people
Cons
Low pay
fun work place with good coworkers and great management
Tire and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJanuary 17, 2019
I enjoyed my time at Mavis and had an overall positive experience as an employee. Steady work and a good commission rate made working there competitive and satisfying
fun hard
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Lindenhurst, NYJanuary 16, 2019
doing tires oil change runig around real busy just the way i like it we do a lot there i really dont remember too much about the job working there was good and bad it have it upps and down moments
Pros
pay lunch only weekend free
Cons
yes short breaks
Surrounded by under-paid & unhappy employees.
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 15, 2019
Everybody hate their job. They are paid peanuts compared to the companies they bought out. Compromised Integrity and theft are common issues. Customers are disgusted with the poor quality of work and lack of work ethic from garage technicians. Really low employee morale.
Pros
You do what you want!
Cons
Terrible environment
Mavis Tire and okay place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rocky Point, NYJanuary 9, 2019
The worst part about my time with Mavis was that I was forced to work by myself in another store which was difficult for me to get to and rarely staffed adequately.
It's a paycheck....
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 6, 2019
Service managers are supposed to MANAGE the SERVICE of the vehicles, not sell the work that is required.

The model doesn't work very well. A service manager is supposed to manage the shop, not the customers. That's what the service advisers are supposed to do. Advise customers on what their vehicle needs...

They have an unrealistic expectation of a job description for the service manager.

Put the tickets in the bucket.

Make your quota.

Corporate doesn't care if the customers say no, you're still going to get yelled at by the regional manager... and you're going to spend time on stupid conference calls that are a complete waste of time.
Pros
You get a paycheck
Fast Paced, Long Hours, Better be able to handle the pressure
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  PAJanuary 5, 2019
Mavis tire is a good company depending on your personality. It is insanely busy and their number one priority is to make money. I wish they would focus more on the customers needs instead of constantly trying to upsell. Upselling is good for business but it frustrates and angers customers more than them finding it helpful. Managers and assistant managers should have full weekends off or rotating weekends off. If this company changed the schedule, it would be an even better job.
Pros
Overtime, Weekly Pay
Cons
Hours, No weekends off, Cut throat
Poorly Structured Company
Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  NJDecember 31, 2018
I was enticed by a good hourly wage and was hired suspiciously quickly. I applied and got a call the next day from H.R. asking if I could start the next day, with promise of a different position. This left me with no time to transport tools. From day one, management created a very unwelcoming climate that prohibited growth. I was even denied a break within my first week and told to lie to H.R. about it. The manager even denied my doctor’s note from my physician when I was out sick, even though the handbook states that they honor doctor’s notes. Within the first couple weeks, they transferred me to another store and that store had next to no clue that I was transferring. The new store has been no better, and the manager was initially unwilling to take the time to speak to me about the nature of the transfer or even my experience level. Anyone I speak to about their employment at Mavis shares negative experiences, so I encourage anyone that’s considering applying to think the decision through thoroughly before taking a position here.
Cons
Poor management.
Very poorly run company, un-skilled techs, which I had to train, re-repair their work.
Assistant Service Manager/Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, NJDecember 26, 2018
District and the regional managers promised commission for me as a service advisor, for filling in as a tech. shop, tire warehouse, parts room. Cleaned entire shop, tire warehouse, parts room, waiting/office area, organized, inventoried. Matt the district manager, the regional manager said I did a great job. But they did not fulfill that promise. Also, my last paycheck was "short" hours, "no" commission. Not a professional place to work, very unorganized.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes
Cons
Corporate dose not want to hear about what the struggle in the shop poor condition of shop equipment, un - skilled techs that corporate hires.
Perfecto
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PADecember 25, 2018
Estodo oerdenado y estoy satisfecho gracias por ser celviciales
Pros
Seguro medico
Cons
Todo bien
Not happy
Tire and Lube Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamburg, PADecember 22, 2018
Many locations, Flexible scheduling, Hours cut daily when slow. Company willing to pay for inspection & emissons, no over time offered. FT employment.
Pros
Lunch breaks, decent benefits, 401k, paid holidays after 4 month, vacation after 1yr
Cons
Not enough hours, constantly reminded of performance goals even when no jobs to be done
Hard Pill to Swallow
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 13, 2018
Check list, Check list, and Check list. This is the way of Mavis Discount Tire. Get rid of the zeros, no matter what it takes. This means if people do not need it you will recommend it because you do not want to get chewed out in front of peers.
How Low Can You Go
Lube Tech (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 13, 2018
This company cares nothing for your family. I started working here about two months ago when my wife's grandmother whom we were very close too fell ill. When she passed away I was fired for going to her funeral after receiving permission that I could do so. Pay is horrible at $10/hr. Maybe this is a job for some high school kid but not for one trying to raise a family.
Pros
Cons
low pay
Poor comission paiement
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaDecember 11, 2018
poor management
manager and service manager don't know their job
Nothing to learn at this place as a mechanic
really boring changing tires and brake sometimes
Pros
good pay
Cons
slow cannot make any comission
Good job to start off but not to stay!
Alignment Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2018
When I first started working for Mavis, I thought it was the best job ever but like most things nowadays, it was too good to be true. There are more cons than pros to working this job. Never expect to be with the same crew all the time. They are always moving people around, hiring new people that don't know nothing about cars, faulty equipment never gets fixed and/or takes a while to do so. One of the things that bothered me the most was when an RTM promised me a raise since I was already doing alignments. I got frustrated one day because I found out one of the tire techs was getting paid more than I was and I was doing more work than he was and on top of that fixing his mistakes as well. Didn't get the raise until months after (Had to call up HR department). That same RTM changed the schedule one day and I told him I'm attending GED classes and couldn't work certain days. His response literally was "Well, you should've told us that before and we would've never hired you.' I had to walk out of the office because I was going to catch a case that day. Long story short, it's a good job to get by but I wouldn't stay there long term. This job also taught me that if you really want something you have to fight for it, don't expect for a miracle to happen. WORK AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Pros
Weekly pay, Discounts, No Drug Test, Paid holidays, 401K & Vacation after a year
Cons
No lunch breaks if too busy, Overworked, Underpaid, Mistreated, Etc.
My location is very unprofessional and poorly managed.
Tire Tech and Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Bernardsville, NJDecember 7, 2018
Absolutely the worst work experience I've had! The management team lacks basic management skills. An incredible management coverage of two to three managers for an average shop of 3 or 4 techs. Almost a one to one coverage for management and there are safety hazards all throughout the shop, faulty equipment that never gets fixed, basic equipment necessary for the job is not available unless the techs provide their own, no oversight on proper repair or service techniques so return work for warranty coverage is high, and so much more in terms of gross negligence from the managers. They are simply salesmen with NO management or leadership ability whatsoever. Training is hit or miss, very inconsistent. It's difficult to make your work quota with poor assignment of jobs so commission is hard to get. Managers break the law frequently by not allowing lunch breaks for weeks!
I feel like the management is getting paid for having a title and they use that title to avoid doing any real work. Tons of tasks that need attention and they just walk by, step over, or around it.
Pros
Can work on your own car when time allows.
Cons
Unbelievably poor management. More like sales men that tell you what to do.
Intense corporate pressure makes you do things you shouldnt
Service Manager/Branch Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Kisco, NYDecember 6, 2018
Mavis tire was an easy job for me. I did what they asked for very well. However, they keep moving people and messing with people's money and causing them to have to go great lengths just to get by. Although there is alot of advancement opportunities the more you get the more you have to give. Mavis literally took over my life I barely saw my kids and could not give the attention to my wife that she deserves. In the end it was not worth the money.
The perfect example on how NOT to treat your employees and customers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaDecember 4, 2018
I have been in this business for 24 years and worked for a few different companies from line tech up to a store manager. When mavis bought out our company they walked in guns blazing and cut out all that we did for our customers. They cut all pay plans for technicians and front shop employees. Managers to the hardest hit. Healthcare got slashed vision insurance went away and no more life insurance. They went as far as taking out the vending machines for the customers and the coffee machines and left us to explain to the guests why those services are no longer available. They installed 2 cameras per every bay in the shop multiple cameras up front and a microphone to listen to ever conversation and watching every move. Upper management calls you many times a day watching the cameras micromanaging. They store that I ran before mavis took over was a very successful store with one of the best crews I ever had the honor of leading. They tore that down and made they store a cookie cutter, ( a fast food store of auto repair). They give you little to no training and a “Waffle House menu” of what you can and can not do. The bonus program is a complete joke compared to what it was prior to. I lost about 80k in bonus the moment they took over and another 30k in salary and Benefits. The call center uses a bait and switch on customers that aren’t expecting it. They also sell the lowest quality of parts and tires to get you in the door and serve discounts as is the product and experience does not matter. It is my opinion but if you want a career and a job that makes andifferene in your employees  more... and customers lives this is not the place for you. I’m glad I had the opportunity to work for them for the time i did to teach me exactly what it is that I never want to be part of again.  less
Pros
Cons
Anything you could possibly think of
demanding and under appreciated
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Syosset, NYDecember 3, 2018
Need to improve policies and procedures. Hiring employees is difficult and underwhelming. Compensation is not what it should be. Family and work life are null ands void.
Pros
Weekly pay check
Cons
No hiring pool
productive
Alignment Technician (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, NYNovember 30, 2018
our days were busy coworkers were great management were a good hardest part was the heat in the summer time the most enjoyable part was the team I work with and the pay and the job because I love doing what I do I learned something new everyday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mavis Discount Tire. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9