Mayo Clinic

Medical Transcriptionist41 reviews
United States41 reviews

Found 41 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,673 reviews
clinicpatientrochesterhospitalnursedepartmentmedicalphysician

Very nice people and a ton of opportunity if you continue your education over time

The best part of this job was the people and all the learning opportunities! Management and coworkers were professional and kind. The second best part was the training. It was very thorough. They have a ton of policies and procedures at Mayo that must be followed strictly and will be closely monitored. I liked this, but if you don't like that then it's probably not the place for you. I was hoping to stay with them forever, but opportunities took me out of the area and there was no work remote option at that time.

Excellent place to work.

Mayo Clinic is a great place to work. Great opportunities to further your education. Structured environment. Caring management team who wants to see you succeed.

Pros

Benefits, competitive wages, opportunities for advancement.

Cons

None.

Mayo Clinic insights

Based on 1,421 survey responses
What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

Focus on patient care as well as keeping employees happy. Benefits and pay were good. Great place to work. Management worked to be flexible and always available to help.

Great pay and benefits

Management needed to actually do their job and oversee the department. Only way to converse was through email only. I’m glad I don’t work for them any longer.

Excellent place to work

I wanted to stay until retirement, however reduction in force in my department is preventing this. They did provide plenty of notice about department downsizing and have assisted with job finding.

I have loved my job and all it entails.

I have loved working at Mayo. I love transcribing, I love researching medical terms. I would not have left my job for any reason. I have learned so much at Mayo and hope to continue my career.

Worked from home, but management made me feel connected to the team.

Loved being a part of the Mayo team, especially as a medical/surgical transcription, although I did not interact with patients in that role. New technology led to my premature retirement, sadly.

Pros

Excellent benefits.

Cons

Job required working the seclusion of working from home.

Good place to work.

A typical day at work was demanding and challenging but in a good way. As a transcriptionist, one was expected to produce highly accurate and timely work, but it was rewarding work. I loved working from home and really enjoyed what I did for Mayo. The hardest part of the job was having little direct contact with fellow coworkers but the rewarding duties of the job and being able got work from home helped to balance out the cons. I learned so much working at Mayo, much in the way of different medical specialties, and also got to watch Mayo grow.

Pros

Competitive wage.

Proficient place to work

A typical day includes typing up doctors reports and knowing medical terminology from several dialects of doctors. Typing fast is an absolute must for this job.

Great place to work, great pay and benefits, paid time off, health, vision and dental insurance, 401K, ability to work remotely, nice coworkers and supervisors.

Jobs at Mayo Clinic

Medical Transcriptionist positions
See more jobs

Great work and life balance

I was fortunate enough to be able to work from home. Our positions as transcriptionists were being eliminated due to a new computer program that allows the physicians to do their own transcription.

Pros

Working from home, no commute.

Cons

The Epic program eliminating my job.

great company to work for

The company is a greta organization but it still has its faults. Management needs to be more involved with the people. The benefits are great and there are many different career paths.

Quiet, secluded environment; lacks personal contact ("coffee buddies").

Transcription requires self-motivation, focus, production, and perfection. Aside from 15-30 minutes of email contact daily, job involves mostly typing and researching terms. Everything I do is monitored electronically. Technical telecommuting difficulties frustrate, but management cares and keeps us informed, and team spirit prevails. I have learned that being an exemplary employee does not guarantee job security; our only security is from God.

Pros

Encouraging, compassionate management.

Cons

Job elimination of current position.

Mayo is awesome

I love working at Mayo Clinic. The pay and benefits are excellent and the crew I work with is great. The motto is patient care first and it shows in how the physicians handle their patients. I am able to work from home instead of being onsite and I absolutely love this aspect of the job.

Pros

Great pay and benefits, good work/life balance

Cons

Productive environment and good place to work friendly co-workers and supervisors.

I really enjoyed my time at Mayo Clinic. My coworkers were fantastic. The work environment was full of energy. Although my commute was on the longer side I didn't mind the drive.

Pros

Great working environment

Cons

Long commute

Excellent place to work.

Worked at Mayo Clinic until I retired. It is an excellent place to work. Good pay and good benefits. Ability to apply for other jobs within the clinic.

Pros

Excellent

Cons

Enjoyed the home-based portion.

Enjoyed interacting with the culturally diverse patient and physician population. Some days were more stressful than others with difficult physicians to work for but overall, positive.

Best job ever

My department was downsized after 20 yrs. Severance was fair, but very disappointing end to my career with Mayo. Everyone was a delight to work with. Excellent benefits.

Benefits

Cons

Job eliminated

Outsourced

The company was great and offered decent benefits until the department was cut and jobs outsourced. Management was fantastic. Would definitely consider working there again.

Really enjoyed working for this company

I really enjoyed working for Mayo Clinic. I was a transcriptionist there for 11 years until they outsourced their work to Amphion. Pay and benefits were great.

Pros

Benefits, pay, management

Cons

Outsourced transcription

Wonderful work experience

Best work experience for patient oriented, caring, complete health care. Patients first motivated work ethic. Always considering the patients' needs and goals when providing their health care.

Pros

Excellent support

Cons

Lack of full time hours available

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mayo Clinic. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Mayo Clinic.
Powered byComparably