MBK Senior Living Employee Reviews

President is unethical.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 27, 2019
Do not work here. They are liars and make promises they do not keep. Stay away from them at all costs. And it will cost you financially and ethically.
Over all it was good until..
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORDecember 29, 2018
I enjoyed working here until the nurse refused to work with my schedule. I was going to school to further my education. And she only refused to not work with my schedule she worked around others. All other staff was excellent
Pros
Coworkers great residents
Cons
Minimum wage, Nurse, lunches not free
Very biased workplace
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 13, 2018
There was a sense of favoritism displayed in the workplace. Definitely brought down much of the moral amongst coworkers and would cause a change in the atmosphere.
It would have been a great place to work if management actually cared enough about people and not just about the paychecks
Med Tech/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORNovember 6, 2018
The management there was horrible, they would say oh you can come talk to us about anything but once you did they judged you, made you feel worthless and would even tell you you are worthless. Management and other employees are making it the worst place to work and MBK higher up people could careless
Pros
Residents
Cons
Management, people don’t care
Its a care for yourself environment,
Closing line Cook (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 29, 2018
Never had a chance to move up in the company..I'm more than qualified! They have empowered the servers to serve what THEY want for the guests, regardless of it being available. Cooks get burnt out in this type of job
Pros
No pros
Cons
No lunch breaks....
Not for my Mother
Director of Activities (Former Employee) –  Mercer Island, WAOctober 1, 2018
Underwhelming and inexperienced management. Lot's of lip service about goals and mission with few met other than profiting. Corporate sales has no integrity advertising amenities that do not exist and lying to residents and potential residents about services offered and the true ability of continuing care. Unethical behavior by management. Residents are at the mercy of a huge Japanese conglomerate company (MBK) and their bottom line objectives. Not where I would ever put my mother. Local private ownership group of arrogant millennials are the ones pulling all the strings milking their cash cow while residents eat meal plans budgeted on $6 per day for all meals and $1 per day for activities. Unworkable and outrageous! There are better options for your parents. Talk to the current residents...and not just one or two that they offer to you.
Pros
Cheap but often inedible food. Decent location.
Cons
LIttle support, dwindling budget, and expected to make something from nothing
A Company In Flux
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 6, 2018
MBK seems to have been in a state of flux for the last few years with a large amount of turnover at the corporate level, trickling down to the communities. It has potential to be great but often fails to reach that.
Pros
Easy to communicate with corporate leadership
Cons
Company does not perform well consistently as a whole
bad
Server (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAAugust 22, 2018
Coworkers were lazy which made the job more stressful. Management was hard to work with. Organizationally, this environment did not succeed in having a clean and simple workplace.
Pros
free lunch and dinner.
Cons
no benefits, bad coworkers.
Poor management!
Server (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORAugust 7, 2018
I worked at MBK for a short period of time, the ED who ran the place at the time was a micromanaging wacko! run for the hills fast! Terrible ED!!!!!!!
Pros
salary, thats it!
Cons
The ED is a controlling, crazy, manipulating wacko!
The residents were amazing!
QMAP/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 7, 2018
It was good until they got a new BOM that would swnd threatening text messages and then the face that we could keep an RN to work under or the fact that our narcotics were always unlocked. Really unfavorable.
Pros
Residents, care givers, kitchen staff
Cons
Lack of benifits, not properly paid, management

Want to know more about MBK Senior Living?

Ask a question
Not a fun place to work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mountlake Terrace, WAFebruary 13, 2018
I love how these companies say, 'come work for us, it'll be fun!' No way. If you have a management position, it's no wonder you're happy because you're making over $50,000 a year. The line level employees, the associates, cannot pay rent and live by themselves on $20,000 a year--no matter how you try, that is, unless you live rent free. The benefits are useless when the wage is not there. My supervisor was verbally abusive and forced me to quit. The company puts on a nice front, but it is a facade. They simply don't pay enough.
Pros
A small paycheck, and perhaps a parking space, very nice residents
Cons
Low pay, no benefits for one year, poor management, no free meals
MBK Good company
Director of Dinning Services (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 1, 2018
MBK has amazing properties and they spear no expense when it comes to quality. although many of the Executive directors are over worked and in some cases do not have the resources to high the right people I enjoyed my time at MBK
Rewarding experience despite poor management
Server, Tuscany at McCormick Ranch (Former Employee) –  Maricopa County, AZAugust 21, 2017
I enjoyed my time working with MBK Senior Living. The residents were charming and the work wasn't too difficult. The only problem I had was the management. This was not a problem with MBK, just with the location I worked at.
Pros
good hours, fun workplace
Cons
poor management
Easy to work with manager, very time flexible.
Server/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAAugust 15, 2017
The hours you work are cool and manager is willing to work with your schedule, but they don't give out raises like they say they do. Fail to really make the workers feel needed. You have to watch what u say and who you say it too or the staff will go above manager and let upper management know.
Okay place to work
Chancellor Gardens Assisted Living (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTJuly 29, 2017
Quick paced environment for little pay and long hours. However, the residents are truly a pleasure to work with and be around which can make the day seem quicker.
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Long hours, no room for advancement
Server Position: Not Good, but not bad
Server (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 26, 2017
I worked as a server, always going in and out of the kitchen. The kitchen manager, who I wont give out info about, was a really nice guy. He was also the interviewer. However, everyone always criticized him of being a slacker for never being in the kitchen. Obviously he has other business to take care of, but the ignorance of the rest of the kitchen employees were pretty negative.

The kitchen was well maintained as well as the dining room. Some tough food would usually get stuck on the dishes, however, most are usually returned to be washed. The atmosphere really depends on which table you are serving and the demeanor of the coworkers that day since you're being helped and helping other servers too.

The seniors living there have varying personalities, and all of them never change. Mainly because it usually takes them a long time to understand what is actually going on in the first place. Most of them are either nice and friendly or nasty and grumpy. The grumpy ones always want to make your day worse, and the nice ones are just pleasant to be around with. The negative seniors have more of an impact on your emotions, and unfortunately they don't leave when you want them too. But when they do it seems like god just blessed you.

The pay is minimum.
No tips are received since you're feeding the same people every meal.
Stressful if you're not used to blocking out the negativity.
Lots of cardio and sort-of heavy lifting.
Breaks don't seem to outweigh the stress of working (unless you've got like a 4 hour shift or something)
Pros
Free lunch (cause it's a kitchen), 401k after a certain amount of years working there (a lot)
Cons
Very stressful, pay is always minimum, come-in-positive-go-out-negative
Good Start
Medication Technician (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJune 25, 2017
MBK would be a place where a lot of people simply came to get there start. I came there and got my start, worked there for 2 years and moved on. There was almost no room from growth. I went from being a caregiver, to medtech to lead medtech and that was as far as I could go. That was only if the supervisor believed that you could do it as well.
Pros
loved my residents
Cons
underpaided for amount of work
The activities are great, residents are having fun
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Antioch, CAApril 30, 2017
Its a nice facility but the management are poor, to many residents but lock of caregiver, the food is always the same. And the management don't even care for their staff.
Cons
No free lunch, always lock of caregivers
Nice people, a fun working enviornment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTApril 27, 2017
The people that manage the place are really food propel and they Care for their residence as they should. Everyone in the workplace helps out very well, you aren't ever put in a situation where you think you can't ask for help.
Great Place to Work
Director of Dining Services (Current Employee) –  Mercer Island, WAApril 21, 2017
I wish I did not have to leave the company because I could see myself retiring from MBK Senior Living. Unfortunately, the commute from Arlington, WA to Mercer Island, WA is way brutal :-(

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MBK Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8