McAlister's Deli Employee Reviews

Found 1,471 reviews matching the search See all 1,473 reviews
I gained a lot of experience that I can apply to new and better paying/offering jobs.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 1, 2018
McAlister’s Deli was my first job and it taught me a lot. I worked there for almost 3 years and grew more confident in my communication through customer service skills and it also set the tone for my hard work ethic. It was a part-time job because i balanced school and work at the time but my salary was not cut out to sustain me through bills.
Pros
Employee discounts and understanding standards for my school life.
Cons
Not a good enough pay or communication with management.
Prep Cook, Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 14, 2018
It is a busy and productive place to work. As someone who did food preparation in the morning, it is a challenge that i enjoyed and kept me on my toes. I definitely looked forward to coming in and working every morning and finding out what the day brought. This company has done a lot of catering orders for football teams, businesses and schools. As well as specific company related events to draw attraction and business.
Pros
Half off food and semi leisure uniform
Cons
No benefits
Poor Managment and Wages
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILMay 18, 2018
Working at this McAlister’s was not a good experience. I worked there off and on (due to school) for about a year and a half and did not get a single raise from 8.25/hour. In addition, I had 1 t-shirt that I could wear to work. This was annoying and inconvenient considering I would work 4-5 days a week. I’d rather not smell awful at work, and found myself doing laundry more than I wanted because of their lack of providing work shirts. The managment at this location was flat out bad. I would request days off and many times still be scheduled to work those days. When trying to switch these shifts with other employees, the management would be stubborn in allowing the change to occur.
Although there were way more negatives than positives of working here, there was a great sense of community. The managers were bad, but my co-workers were great people. I made friendships with some co-workers from working here that will last a lifetime. We also got 50% off on food after every shift which was a solid discount.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Good Discount
Cons
Terrible Management, No Raises or T-Shirts, Bad Scheduling
Poor organization among management and employees, great co-workers
Front of House Employee/ Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 10, 2018
I was employed by McAlister's for 4 years. I never once had a raise or any benefits added despite usually working 30-40 hrs a week. Management was usually disorganized save a select few great managers.
Pros
30% discount on days you work, 15% on days you don't.
Cons
More concern about money than genuine service.
Stressful and management is not good.
FOH and BOH (Current Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 21, 2018
Wrong people get praised while the outstanding employees don't get the recognition and appreciation that they deserve. Some of the management don't know how to talk to their employees.
It’s an okay place to work, but the pay is bad and hours are bad too
Waitress/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Owasso, OKAugust 1, 2018
I’ve worked there for over a year now and haven’t received any raises or gained any hours. The management at my store is alright, they are nice, but you have to fight to get any sort of payment increase.
Pros
10% discount lunch
Cons
Sometimes no breaks, short work days
Very nice and welcoming work environment.
Waitress/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKNovember 17, 2018
This was my first job while I was in high school. I very much enjoyed my experience and the people I worked with, but I do not know much about the benefits because I only worked full-time during the summer.
Pros
Free drinks and good managers
Cons
hard to get days off, was a half an hour drive from my home.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHOctober 8, 2018
McAlister is a good place to work. If you work hard it is easy to get raises and work your way up through the company. They are very nice and have great managers.
It was okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Bountiful, UTSeptember 4, 2018
It started out great but the manager ran the business into the ground. The new manager was amazing but had to cut hours to help with business. Inconsistent work hours but great people to work with.
Pros
Fun work enviroment, nice coworkers
Cons
Inconsistent work hours, no pay raises
Casual
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 22, 2018
Work hard and you will be acknowledged and given raises. They do team member of the month which I received a few times now. Always work as if they are evaluating you.
it’s not the best
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAAugust 18, 2018
mcalisters deli has responsible workers. i feel as if i’m not very respected as a worker. the management is poor at times as if no one knows how to control the restaurant.
Pros
30% off food
Cons
No raises, poor management
its okay
CATERING ASSISTANT, LINE COOK, PREP (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 19, 2018
I have a great time working at McAllisters. The food is amazing and employees get 70% off on the food. The staff is friendly and encouraging. We are Was a decent job can get stressful, but always had labor problems so i didnt get hours. I wasn’t making enough money for the goals that I’ve set for my self .usually very busy during the morning times.My time here was fun working with a few of the coworkers but management showed favoritism, and that is never fair. It gets very stressful/overwhelming at times because management would never be there to show positivity many slick/negative comments, no positive praise whatsoever. Overal, we had AMAZING customers but of course, we had your not-so-nice ones, you just have to have tough skin if working here.
Pros
work enviroment
Cons
Poor managment skills
disorganized staff, favoritism shown by managers
Cashier, Waitress (Former Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MOJuly 21, 2018
during my time there, there was practically no organization whatsoever. we were not properly trained in our positions, and the management would give certain benefits to employees that they liked
Pros
free lunches our entire first week, 70% discount on meals
Cons
would let you work past your break time
Plenty of room for growth and advancement
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 11, 2018
Everything is great about this company except for lack of competitive salary. Many have worked from entry level to upper management and beyond. Flexible hours and positive environment.
Terrible Place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCAugust 17, 2018
Everyone that I worked with were awesome people but it is a poorly run restaurant.
Management needs to be completely changed.
Low pay and low hours were given to all made you not want to even be there.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, dirty, no benefits, poor hours
The hardest part of the job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Burleson, TXDecember 5, 2018
We don't get out for breaks on time. It can get very frustrating especially when we only get an 30 minutes for a break and when this happens there is no compensation, you are expected back if not on time, then as soon as possible.
Loved working here
McAlister's Deli (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSSeptember 6, 2018
Fast paced at times but very loving place to work. Pay is a bit low. Staff is friendly and work well together. Need more opportunities to advance or get raises for FOH
Pros
Discounted prices
Cons
Bad pay
Fast paced company, awesome co workers and environment
Catering Coordinator/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 30, 2018
I loved working for McAllister’s it was definitely an experience getting to travel and see the different cultures that keeps McAllister’s going. It was always fast paced, friendly customers and staff. Great selection of food.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits, paid time off
Cons
Sometimes hours were cut
It was pretty stressful there but it wasn't hard.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Statesville, VAOctober 9, 2018
Overall its a cool place to work for college students trying to keep some cash in their pockets. people trying to make a good living was different you'll defiantly need a higher salary.
Stressful place to work with horrible management
Kitchen Manager/Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 22, 2018
Expect to come into this job under staffed because employees were allowed to call off with no penalty as well as do no call no shows without penalty. Managers had no backbone, expected regular employees to speak to other troublesome employees about their behavior but manager would not back you up. Most enjoyable part of the job was clocking out for the day and having a day off.
Pros
free lunches (if they liked you)
Cons
No benefits for full time employees or long term employees, too much drama basically high school and they'll hire literally anybody which is not good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McAlister's Deli. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at McAlister's Deli.

Powered by Comparably