McCarl's Inc. Employee Reviews

The McCarl Way is once again a great one to follow
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaver Falls, PAJuly 17, 2019
I have seen some ups and downs with this company over the past few years due to changes in ownership, management and long term plans. There was a time when it was not a place I would recommend to job-seeking friends and family but I feel completely different about it today. In the past year we have had new ownership and management take over and it has already made a huge difference in opportunities, reputation and overall morale. There are so many wonderful people who work here, throughout our office locations, job sites, and fabrication shops. Hardworking team players with a common goal of company success and doing things the *right* way. Even on the stressful days - because you will have those no matter where you work, unless your job is petting puppies - it is still an enjoyable place to work because you know there are people around you who care about you and the whole company.
Pros
Solid management, great co-workers, feels like family environment, lots of opportunities on the horizon, great benefits
Cons
Growing quickly and sometimes having to double up tasks while waiting on new hires
It is a very welcoming company.
Quality Control Welding Inspector (CAWI) (Current Employee) –  Muncy, PAFebruary 12, 2019
Overall McCarl's Inc. is a great company to work for. It is excellent if you have kids and would like to work only 40 hours a week. They are a huge UNION outfit, so if your non-union and want to work a lot of overtime, it may not be the place for you.
Good People / Failing Company
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Beaver Falls, PAJuly 24, 2017
I just joined the company recently, and overall believe there are nice people that work here, and management doesn't beat you up.

The biggest issue is work has dried up which has lead to layoffs, poor pay, and uncertainty for the future. Management has blamed poor performance on the decline of the Gas market, and the sale of the company by parent company Talen.

Whatever the case most long tenure employees fear the business is in downfall with Management not having a plan for the future.

Like most I just want steady employment, but think I have to leave to go to a company that is more stable.
Pros
Good People; Interesting work
Cons
Poor Business Performance threatens employees future
A Great Company in sharp decline!
Estimator (Current Employee) –  Cranberry, PAMay 19, 2017
McCarls for decades was an American success story. A small family owned company that developed into an industry Giant in the world of construction. We worked together as a team, won huge contracts, were respected and paid well by Management, and were greatly admired industry wide.

Then a few years ago several of the Executive Managers retired in short order. Since then, even though the name on the door hasn't changed, it is not the same company. New Management simply doesn't have the experience or talent to run a company this size. Decade old contracts have been terminated for poor performance. Clients are concerned and commenting on the swift decline in capabilities. Financials have suffered, lay offs occur frequently and pay is a fraction of what it was. As a result of the stress from under performance the culture has turned ugly, from the McCarl way team structure to everyone out for themselves.

Don't be fooled, not the same company. It won't be long until we return to less profit work, or decline until we close the doors.
Pros
Former Company was envy of the industry
Cons
New Management has run firm into the ground
I had a great experinece working for them.
I learned a lot over the years in the field of construction. I don't think that I would change anything about my years of doing this type of work. For the most part I worked with great people. I really liked being around the men and women that came from different parts of the country during outage's at the three plant's I had worked at.
Pros
The experience
Cons
Not ever knowing when you are going to lose your job because business is slow
good overall place to work
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 23, 2014
It has been several + years that I have worked there. It was a great place to work and my coworkers were the best, but it is a good ole boys club. I quit to raise my child after giving birth and when I pointed out the leave they had put into their emplyee handbook. It was said to me that the leave in the handbook was not for Maternity although they did not distinquish this in the handbook. They had to pay for my maternity leave and was not pleased b/c of it. I would work there again in a heartbeat. Truly great pay, great benefits, and great coworkers.
Pros
Excellent place to work
Cons
good ole boys club
Good work experience
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PaJanuary 31, 2014
Did commercial HVAC and some electrical work. Commercial work was a new experience and I liked the work I did,
Pros
company vehicle provided
Cons
Office was and hour away
The company itself
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Beaver Falls, PAOctober 25, 2013
A day at work is often better than your average.
I learned how to work with professional people in a profesional atmoshere.
Management is important in the company.
The co-workers are great, always helpful and wanting to teach/learn new things.
The hardest part about the job is balance and prioritizing your daily jobs from urgency to not as important.
The most enjoyable part of the job is benefits, co-workers, and commute.