McCarter & English, LLP Employee Reviews

Loved the people I worked with
PARALEGAL (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 13, 2018
I worked for a great attorney from whom I learned a lot, and who made my time there enjoyable,
However, it is a very large firm; to the point of being a little top heavy. Staff are not always utilized to their full potential unless they speak up.
Pros
Some great attorneys to work with
Cons
Office politics can make things difficult
A nice place to work!
Paralegal, Product Liability/General Litigation (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2018
I had a good experience working for McCarter & English. They were the first firm that I worked for in NYC when I moved up from D.C. Everyone was very professional and helpful. Would highly recommend; very nice firm.
Superb group of lawyers, but poorly managed firm
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 23, 2018
Superb lawyers, but unfortunately a poorly managed firm. The firm keeps trying to "turn things around", but it seems like moral gets worse every year. Becoming more throatcut at every level. I think the only way things will ever "turn around" is to bring in fresh blood and new perspectives from the Director level on up. A number of good people who always kept the firm's best interests in the forefront, and tried to strike a good balance between servicing clients, keeping staff and associates content, while having the firm be profitable, have voluntarily or involuntarily left the firm. It's all about the bottom line now, which is fine for those who want to work in that atmosphere.
Pros
Some really intelligent, cordial, well intentioned, but ....
Cons
... misdirected people
Litigation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 11, 2017
Terrible management for anyone that isn't a lawyer. Allowed lawyers to behave unprofessionally and recklessly with their assistants if the lawyer was stressed because the lawyers were the ones who brought in money. My attorney made me cry daily and four assistants before me went to lunch and never returned. Some of the lawyers I worked for were absolutely amazing and willing to teach, but unfortunately the negative lawyer and management staff outweighed the positive interactions.
Excellent Firm
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 28, 2017
Great Management. Attorneys are very confident and knowledgeable of what they want. Billing done in their system and submitted via electronic billing thru some e-billing websites. Other bills are done and e-mailed to clients by the attorneys or billers. Special projects and reports are always needed as in every firm. As in most firms year end is somewhat hectic as expected.
Over all nice firm with good benefits.
Pros
Great Firm
Toxic
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 8, 2017
Upper management in New Jersey are disgraceful and heartless beings. I've never been treated so badly in any professional environment as I have here - no respect or ethical handling of a serious incident. Staff is NOT appreciated or valued in any way, shape or form by management. No company outings to reward staff for hard work or any attempt to connect peers outside of the workplace. Staff appreciation day is a joke too. We was treated like elementary children by getting cupcakes, ice cream and popcorn. Like seriously?! Too much politics among those that have been there for years as well as a lot of gossiping and back-stabbing (with very few exceptions from a few solid people). I would NEVER recommend this place to anybody. Morale is dreadful and the air is heavy. They need a serious lesson on how to treat "lower level" employees.
Pros
None!
McCarter & English had the prestige of being one of the oldest and largest law firms in the country.
Marketing Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 13, 2017
McCarter & English was a law firm where there was a distinct division of personell; lawyers and others. I enjoyed my tenure at the firm because I had the pleasure of working with some very caring attorneys. For a number of years I worked as a floater, covering the absences for legal secretaries with permanent assignments. As a result of this I received training in number of areas of law; i.e., family law, intellectual property, etc.
I appreciated our in-house hospitality department which was very helpful in assisting with catering responsibilities.
Cons
Separation of Attorneys and other personnell
Working with the best
Senior Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 1, 2017
For any position within McCarter & English, LLP, one has the ability to work with the best and learn from the best. This experience builds professionalism and ethical values which make exceptional employees for the firm and for ones' future endeavors.
Demanding and serious environment.
Litigation Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 18, 2017
Work atmosphere was demanding and serious. Training always available on updates of various programs, some training mandatory. Great support system from co-workers. Management worked with you during personal crisis. Acquired a lot of on the job training to better assist in team needs.
Pros
Training seminars on new and updating programs and data bases
Cons
Could have been a little more lite hearted.
Very clicky
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 15, 2015
Answer phones, court filings, typing pleadings, filing. Co-workers no so friendly, not one of my favorite places to work.
Pros
There were some nice attorneys
Cons
Did not fit in with the click of girls.
Great people and great place to work.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 12, 2015
I worked for McCarter & English for 27 years, it had it ups and downs. I enjoyed working in the Bankruptcy / Litigation group, I learned a lot in those years elevating from a File Clerk to Senior Legal Assistant. My responsibilities went from daily maintenance of files, to assisting attorney with multiple projects. Including drafting documents, trial preparations, electronic filings, obtaining documents from courts. I supervised the file clerks for the Bankruptcy Department.
Pros
Comfortable and friedly work environment.
Cons
Work slowed and departments cut back.
Company was always good to me. No complaints.
Paralegal/Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 10, 2015
Great company. Work hard they reward you. Sometimes stressful however, they spent a lot of time on resources to help relieve some of the daily pressures. Attorneys were mostly pleasant and I never felt there was a divide between attorneys and staff. I wish I could go back.
Pros
Annual raises and bonuses
Cons
Commute
oldest law firm in new jersey well respected
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 9, 2015
mcc arter &english well respestced law firm i was there for 8years
they have treated me well until my position was out sourced last june i missed the people who taught me how to become a better indiviual in life as well as good husband and father and good worker
and co -worker as well
Pros
always recieved employee lunch in april
Cons
Great place to work while being a full time student
Operations Staff (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 16, 2015
I have many responsibilities but nothing too overwhelming. Working here was like being a family, everyone was very supportive.
Generally speaking, this is a nice place to work.
Legal Secretary - Litigation (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 30, 2015
I enjoyed this place of employment and my position in particular because the general atmosphere was very pleasant with great co-workers. We had excellent training classes which enabled me to increase my professional skills. The only improvement would be in the area of job security/advancement..
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Lack of acknowledgement and appreciation of employees.
Paralegal (Current Employee), Newark, NJ – March 17, 2015
Litigation Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 17, 2015
*very busy day at work
*learned how to work with different types of programs
*management is great, very pleasant and understanding
*co-workers are great, there is a lot of team work
Pros
flexibility
fast paced environment, employers and employees worked prfessionally
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 11, 2015
Every morning, I check my emails or voice mails. Received and processed payments from clients in the system. During the day, received/make internal phone calls or emails regarding issues on payments. Send emails to partners and management for the day's cash receipts breakdown. Sent A/R reports to all partners via Crystal Report. Researched and applied unallocated funds. I learned how to prioritize tasks assigned to me and how to be a team player to achieve the company's goal. The management has provided good benefits to their employees. My co-workers were supportive to each other and worked as a team. The hardest part of the job was during fiscal year end when all payments from clients pours in and needs to be processed in a timely manner, and clean up unapplied account in A/R. I was able to achieve those challenges through the skills which i have developed during my years in A/R.
Pros
free flu shots, yearly holiday parties
Cons
does not offer seminars or training programs for career advancement
Good environment and productive place
Paralegal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 22, 2014
*very busy day at work
*learned how to work with different types of programs
*management is great, very pleasant and understanding
*co-workers are great, there is a lot of team work
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Health care
Good work environment, salary and benefits.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEDecember 14, 2014
General day was 9 to 5 pm. No overtime usually required.

Management and co-workers blended together well.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the way everyone got along.

There was never any "class" distinction among the staff. Everyone from top to bottom was on a first name basis.
Extremely professional and cordial environment
Associate - Public Finance Department (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 5, 2014
I received excellent training in public finance transactions leading to direct transaction management.