McCarthy, Burgess & Wolff, Inc Employee Reviews

Do not trust the 5 star reviews
Collector (Former Employee) –  Middleburg Heights, OHApril 22, 2019
Had severe anxiety attacks to the point of hospitalization.
Mgmt will threaten your job almost daily b/c of unrealistic goals. No room for growth. If you make money they won’t bother you even if you are not following protocol. Wasn’t too bad until mgmt changed. I don’t think it’s worth is honestly. Turnover is VERY high. Out of the 6 managers I’ve had over 2 yrs, NONE are left. Dozens of coworkers quit as well. Too many to count.
Cons
Short breaks, no 401k, you are disposable and will be treated as such
April 26, 2019

Thank you for your review. MB&W does not feel that any employee is disposable. We want people to succeed and have promoted from within many times. We provide two paid 15 minute breaks and a half hour lunch break.

They will lay you off to hire cheaper help
Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Middleburg Heights, OHApril 19, 2019
I worked very hard for this company, never called off, always met all my metrics and exceeded goals, was laid off so that they could hire people at a lower rate. Management sucks, non communicative and unsupportive.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Everything else
April 26, 2019

Thank you for your review. In December 2016 we opened a third office due to growth and have not had any layoffs. We are currently hiring for all 3 locations.

Ok place to work but not long term
Collector (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OH 44146April 8, 2019
Start my daily task,know that every customer are not the same.mgmt is not to bad,ok place to work.nothing really hard about the job at all.when was there liked the working environment
Very cold, non personal atmosphere
Debt Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bedford Hts, OHFebruary 13, 2019
a review is not worth my time.
It was a very non personal, unhapppy climate. The management and idealism was not conducive to high productivity. They were not open to promoting from within. The owner gave me the impression that all he cared about was lining his own pockets.
April 26, 2019

Thank you for your review. We offer uncapped commissions which many of our employees benefit from. We have promoted from within the organization several times and promoted a collector to a Supervisor just this month. We want to see people succeed.

Collector
Collector (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 12, 2019
Its a great job, however there is downfalls for example we are expected to get 2nd voice for all calls. But we alway's can't... Then once we get someone wanting to pay and we have to wait anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes for someone in Ohio to take the payment and we hope they don't mess up our arrangemt. They need to staff the Tulsa office with atleast another manager a payment processor, a person to assist with doing reports, making sure all payments, pull change, letters being requested are sent. Tulsa office is the only office that works late nights 2 days aweek
Pros
No weekends
Cons
Lack of staff, management is stressed, which causes employees to be stressed
Intense Job Environment
Collector (Current Employee) –  Middleburg, OHJanuary 7, 2019
Very intense work environment but as long as you're making money mgmt doesn't bother you. Despite your best efforts sometimes you won't hit goal/bonus
customer service
Administration (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
I always make the best of my day ,because I am a happy person all the time And I try to spread the happiness .My job is not hard just busy and consistent . If everyone do there job it would make everyone 's job easier ,Need more respect supervisors have to have respect at all times ,give respect you get repect
April 26, 2019

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments and your perspective.

Work culture at MB&W
Administration (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
I am new to collections, having an extensive background in customer service and account management. I was hired for a position as a collector, but that did not work out for me, so I was offered another position in the company, at which I am currently involved. Management is always accessible for guidance and helping the employee out when there is a problem, be it personal or professional. The company does offer paid training, and a decent benefits package, but no 401K or other retirement plan. They also offer paid time off and vacation time, and the way it is accumulated is generous. The culture here is more of a competitive team spirit. The hardest part of the job, in my opinion, is remembering this is collections, and that we have clients to consider, but it is also the best part of the job, especially when you are able to help a consumer understand the collections process and assist them in resolving a delinquent account. All in all MB&W is a great place to work, I have learned a lot about the collections process and learning more each day about the different aspects of it.
ok
Administration (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
I learned alot of things working at MB&W the people are great to work with and so are the mangers. The heardest part of the job is not being able to have my cellphone at work. But I have my own workplace/dest/area which is a good thing too.
April 26, 2019

Thank you for your comments. We realize that not having a cell phone at your desk can be a challenge in today’s environment. Being that we are financial services it is necessary to ensure that our data is secure.

Working at McCarthy, Burgess and Wolff
Auditor (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
When I first started with the company, I was scared and nervous about the new opportunity. I have been able to move to another department within the company and I am very happy to come to work everyday. I have met many new people and have made some lasting friendships inside and outside of the workplace. I have the opportunity to interact with different departments within the company and I am able to grow and learn new things that I can bring to my daily tasks.
N/a
Auditor (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
Typical day- start 8:30, 15 minute break at 10, 30 lunch at 12:30, 15 minute break at 2:30, usually finished for the day by 5:30

Management tends to act with contempt toward their employees, which is often justified. It just leaves you demoralized to receive blast emails lumping all employees in the same basket.

I didn't realize their was a workplace culture.

I don't think anything about this job is hard

The best part of the job is not feeling any pressure to actually perform well, since doing so will get you no where here
April 26, 2019

Thank you for your review. We do offer career advancement opportunities and just recently promoted someone to management. We encourage people to succeed.

support staff
Auditor (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
The best part of the job is the people I work with and that everyone works as a team in my department. Also paid time off is fair because you can carry it over and it's not a case of 'use it or lose it' and if I do need to take time off there's no problem in doing so.
April 26, 2019

We appreciate your kind words. MB&W has a lot of great people that work hard and contribute to the success of the company.

admin
Auditor (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
Needing a key fob (being monitored) just to enter and exit the rest room in a non-public office building is part of the negative environment. The workplace culture is oppressive.
Support staff
Auditor (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
No 401K is offered. I have been working for this company for over three years and get the same vacation time as a new hire. No bonus or extras for the support staff. The best part of the job is not being micromanaged.
A Day in the Life
Cash (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
It is not a bad day overall. I would recommend improvements in communication issues, but overall, it is not a bad day if you can keep up. It's the way one is treated at the company that can overall influence it in the right direction.
Accountant
Cash (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
The management is great. It is a very relaxed and casual work space. The hours are 8:30am-5pm for Monday-Friday. Overall, it is a great place to work.
payment processing
Cash (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
taking credit card and ach payments management is cool you have some nice people but a lot of people won't even speak the distance for me is very far my boss tries to be understanding to our needs.
Lacking structure & integrity.
Cash (Current Employee) –  Middleburg, OHJanuary 7, 2019
A lot of employees were "asked" to leave positive reviews on this site & glassdoor since the turnover rate is annually record breaking.The lack of communication between the whole company is hysterical, It can pay the bills but beyond that there is literally no reason to work here. It also wouldn't surprise me if this review is taken down, since all the "negative" reviews on glassdoor were pulled down too.
April 26, 2019

Thank you for your review. MB&W partnered with Indeed and all reviews were posted. MB&W did not edit or delete any reviews or content.

Great place to work!
Cash (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
Minimal stress. Able to perform daily job functions with minimal supervision.
Management is available for assistance if needed. Team atmosphere.
Great place to work.
Payment Processor
Cash (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 7, 2019
I have no one breathing down my neck to hurry up. I work at my own pace. Everyone is friendly. You always get lunches and breaks. The working environment is pleasant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McCarthy, Burgess & Wolff, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.