McCoy's Building Supply Employee Reviews

Great place
MIS Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXDecember 20, 2018
The other employees at the store and corporate are great to work with. Managers are flexible with your schedule which is very nice. You only get five paid holidays a year, but it’s a retail business. I’ve never worked at a place where everyone genuinely cares about you.
Pros
You get to wear jeans to work, flexible with schedules.
Cons
Expensive family healthcare coverage
Good Culture to work in.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Palestine, TXNovember 7, 2018
The culture at McCoy's is designed to be very constructive and allow for personal growth. The pay is very fair for most positions, management especially. The downside is that each store is a bit different based upon who the manager is; great managers make great stores to work in, but poor managers make the workplace more difficult.
Pitiful place no room for job improvement.
Forklift Operator/ yard crew (Former Employee) –  Floresville, TXSeptember 6, 2018
I was there almost to years with the yard leader position open for the past year , no interview was given only got a raise when saying I was going to leave, raises are not given until the absolute last moment in a last hope to keep you. Though they are good at needing time off for family matters or other emergencies. No moral everyone has a sour attitude and dread coming to work.
Pros
Customers are good to talk to .
Cons
A lot they are in my review
Productive and fun work place environment
Yard Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Gonzales, TXJanuary 17, 2019
I had a lot of fun working for this company the people are great and the management is also great. The managers are flexible with your work schedule. Working at McCoy’s isn’t that challenging either very easy
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Bi-weekly Pay
Could use some management!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, TXAugust 22, 2018
I love my job but feel as though I am a career cashier. A lot of favoritism in the work place. I made it clear that I wanted a career not just a job. My location suffers from a severe lack of management. And that will not change as our store manager is friends with the regional manager. No pay raises.
Pros
Flexible schedule. Sunday’s off.
Cons
Expensive healthcare. Poor management. Poor pay.
yard crew
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  TXAugust 16, 2018
Laid back, busy at times loading customers always things to do.
like putting stock away. Management needs to be organized lack luster at best, ready to point fingers throw you under the bus.
Corporate staff are awesome people to work with.
Pros
if you like to work this is the place
Cons
lazy people in all dept. seems like they only there for a paycheck, management needs to figure it out
Easy going personnel
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  TexasDecember 6, 2018
Mccoy's is easygoing customers are great to interact with employees are friendly. Its pretty much learning by trial and error but with the right attitude you will be successful.
Pros
East going and friendly employees
Cons
Low pay
Overworked and Underpaid
Yard Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 17, 2018
A lot of heavy lifting involved and have to work outside during high
temperatures. Constantly have to work in hostile environment. Hardly any breaks. Management claims there is opportunity to grow with company but not true at all. When I started working for the company, I was approached by an assistant manager about an opening position within the company. I've been with McCoy's for several months now and the store manager never approached me to discuss about the position. Management claims to treat their employees like family but they do not. "I don't feel the love."
Pros
Closed on Sundays and Major Hollidays
Cons
Working in Hostile environment
Yard Crew
Yard Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXOctober 24, 2018
You will be mainly loading and unloading customers and trucks. It is a warehouse/yard type of job. It is a very physical job. You will need a strong back and to be able to deal with the weather.
Pros
Sundays always off.
Cons
Working outside and physical labor
Great culture and people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 12, 2018
McCoy's is a great company to work for with a strong culture if you are looking to gain easy career experience. Customers are great and it really is like a big family. Takes a lot of hard work to move up but the experience and pay was worth it. Owners are humble and truly care about their employees and offer a lot of training opportunities and strongly follow the culture that they built. Get to meet a lot of great people inside and out of the company. Work place is laid back but also structured. Very supportive HR and training department.

The job itself can be physically taxing, as well as extremely stressful. Need to know a lot, basically have to know how to build a house. Expected to increase sales but upper management can't (or won't) help with anything. Store level positions do not have a good work/life balance.
Pros
Culture, customers, great starter job
Cons
Poor upper management, poor work/life balance
Very productive and safe workplace
Retail Yard Crewmember (Former Employee) –  Cleburne, TXAugust 1, 2018
Management is very great, a typical work day would be helping customers also loading and unloading trucks, learned a lot about construction projects and roofing projects, most enjoyable part of the job would be helping customers, hardest part of the job is pulling some orders for delivery.
Fun work place environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 13, 2018
Staff is fun and hardworking and will get the job done. Management cares about the business and wants all of they employees to succeed and reach their goals.
Pros
Overtime is great.
Cons
Can be stressful at times
A Typical day at work
FLOOR SALES ASSOCIATE/BACK-UP CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 23, 2018
A typical day for me on this job was helping high volume of people on sales floor to find various items to either fix problems at home or complete a project. I answered a high volume of calls and processed orders into computer. I would cashier at front of store if I was asked too and I really enjoyed that.
Pros
Excellent store hours
Cons
unappreciative Management
It was a fun place to work at
Lumber Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 15, 2018
I enjoyed the the time i had with Mccoys. Mgmt was great to work for. Lack of training is needed there at
Mccoys. Family oriented place, it’s all about family first
And work second.
Productive and Family Oriented
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 30, 2018
Typically the mornings start off pretty fast pace and tend to slow down around lunch and get slower as the day goes on, being busier at the beginning of the week and Saturdays being very busy. Over all people oriented and awesome place to work.
Pros
Hour Lunch breaks
Cons
Difficult to Advance in employment
Great workplace and environment
Sales for various departments (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXJuly 10, 2018
The customers are great, most are long time costumers. The work environment is positive and fast paced. The management side could be better, but other than that, it is a great place.
Pros
Positive people, lunch provided on occasion, and fun environment
Cons
Family-oriented workplace with strong emphasis on emotional security
Marketing Intern and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 18, 2018
The corporate environment is very caring, sensitive and supportive. High emphasis on emotional intelligence. Hard to promote because people stay in positions long term, however the environment is so healthy and caring that I would have been happy to stay.
Pros
catered lunches, corporate training, internship program with local university, holiday parties, holiday bonus
Cons
average pay
Productive and fun
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXDecember 21, 2018
Great place to work, flexible with scheduling, minimum 30 hours a week, $10 starting pay, paid biweekly. 1-hour lunch every shift, management is pristine. 9/10
N/a
Retail Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Rosenberg, TXNovember 30, 2018
The company is good overall. You'll deal with your usual retail issues such as call ins and no shows. Pay is ok. The quickest way to a promotion is to move anywhere
great place- management is ok
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXOctober 17, 2018
management is not the best. some of the employees are nice except for a few. fun place to work very fast pace. you will be on your feet all day long..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McCoy's Building Supply. Our community is ready to answer.