McCoy's Building Supply Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Overworked and Underpaid
Yard Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 17, 2018
A lot of heavy lifting involved and have to work outside during high
temperatures. Constantly have to work in hostile environment. Hardly any breaks. Management claims there is opportunity to grow with company but not true at all. When I started working for the company, I was approached by an assistant manager about an opening position within the company. I've been with McCoy's for several months now and the store manager never approached me to discuss about the position. Management claims to treat their employees like family but they do not. "I don't feel the love."
Pros
Closed on Sundays and Major Hollidays
Cons
Working in Hostile environment
Best of the Best!
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Floresville, TXJuly 10, 2018
Sadly I only worked for this company for six months, but I loved every day of it! My coworkers were friendly, and my managers were so thoughtful and understanding.
Pros
Heath care, paid vacation, good environment
Favoritism At It’s Finest 👌
Cashier (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 9, 2018
Not much to rate on this job, so just to put it in an easier perspective don’t apply with them. No authority or communication what so ever, just a waste of time. Just childish games by management. Very unprofessional.
Productive and Family Oriented
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 30, 2018
Typically the mornings start off pretty fast pace and tend to slow down around lunch and get slower as the day goes on, being busier at the beginning of the week and Saturdays being very busy. Over all people oriented and awesome place to work.
Pros
Hour Lunch breaks
Cons
Difficult to Advance in employment
A Typical day at work
FLOOR SALES ASSOCIATE/BACK-UP CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 23, 2018
A typical day for me on this job was helping high volume of people on sales floor to find various items to either fix problems at home or complete a project. I answered a high volume of calls and processed orders into computer. I would cashier at front of store if I was asked too and I really enjoyed that.
Pros
Excellent store hours
Cons
unappreciative Management
Fast passe and stressful
Lumber Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Aransas Pass, TXJune 11, 2018
No breaks except for a hour lunch break, i started after hurricane Harvey had hit so it was very long days with long lines of rude customers, it was fun working with forklifts tho
Promotes the team
Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 30, 2018
At McCoys Building Supply I was able to work independently while still working in a team environment. The management cared very much about the community and donated in many ways.
Manger job tough. Did not have the support
Retail Store Manager/Corporate Buyer (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 28, 2018
Great place to work. Really did not have the chance to support their corporate culture. There was really no time other than try to maximize sales and gross profit. That unfortunately is what I was focused on.
Pros
Flexible time. Customers were great.
Cons
No support
Family-oriented workplace with strong emphasis on emotional security
Marketing Intern and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 18, 2018
The corporate environment is very caring, sensitive and supportive. High emphasis on emotional intelligence. Hard to promote because people stay in positions long term, however the environment is so healthy and caring that I would have been happy to stay.
Pros
catered lunches, corporate training, internship program with local university, holiday parties, holiday bonus
Cons
average pay
Down to earth family company
Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXMay 10, 2018
McCoys is a relaxed environment where you get to listen to old school county music. It serves bigger contract companies but does not pay very well. If it paid better I would have loved to stay.

Want to know more about McCoy's Building Supply?

Ask a question
Good learning experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2018
Manager was the worst in the company but the overall company culture and atmosphere was great. I would recommend this company just not the specific store i worked at.
Pros
Good structured management development
Cons
Locations are limited, management can do what they want
makes the day go by quick
Customer/Contractor Load (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TX 77808February 21, 2018
the location I worked at was in a booming city so you were usually pretty busy which helped the days go by pretty fast. the customers during the week were pretty regular so you'd get to know them
Pros
good people, good equipment
Cons
truely rain or shine, no matter how much rain
Great work/ life balance
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 15, 2018
The hours are steady and leave plenty of time for a life outside of workplace and you have every Sunday off! The management staff are excellent to work with and are very encouraging.
Pros
work culture, 1 hour long lunch breaks
Good place to work.
CDL Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, TXFebruary 15, 2018
*Driving part of the day and working in the lumber yard the rest of the day.
*Learned a lot about driving different Trucks and a lot about various *types of lumber and supplies
*Management was very fair as I saw it.
*Good workplace culture.
*Hardest part of the job was the outdoor weather.
*Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the public and making friends with repeat customers.
Cons
Outside environment, Hot Summers and Cold, Wet Winters.
Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, TXFebruary 11, 2018
The manager that hired me was really good and made the workplace enjoyable. He got promoted to the Corporate office and the manager they brought in was not good at all. The store itself and the fellow employees were enjoyable to work with.
All work and no play
Sales Associate/ Stocker (Former Employee) –  Weimar, TXJanuary 25, 2018
The manager was all about getting things done in a certain amount of time when really we had plenty of time to do because we were already swamped with something else.
Excelent
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manchaca, TXJanuary 23, 2018
It was a good experience. I stock, cashier, clean, mix paint, and cut rope. I was able to get an understanding of where the products where and able to help costumers locating the items. I had a hard time figuring out the cashier job because it operated on an older software unlike today. Very hard to get use to it but once down it was easy to use. Good environment and even got to know constant costumers.
Pros
Knowing Customers
Cons
Old Equipment, Old Cashier system, lots of paper use
good work, good pay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Alvin, TXJanuary 3, 2018
Good managers, consistent schedules, Good pay, Good at balancing life and work, good work environment, good for improvement. Good work environment, relaxed sometimes busy
Pros
flexibility, breaks
Overall Balanced.
Yard Crew Member (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXDecember 29, 2017
Balanced between laid back and stressful depending on the seasons. It seemed very hard to work your way up to positions. I felt like there was a lot of favoritism. Overall a good place to work.
Pros
Understanding
Cons
Pay
people orientated
Sales-cashier (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXDecember 26, 2017
Very cheerful environment, team work. One on one with management, even corporate. Hours are reasonable. Plenty of work to do, borden isnt issue. Customers are great.
Pros
family oriented