McCoy's Building Supply Employee Reviews

Could use some management!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, TXAugust 22, 2018
I love my job but feel as though I am a career cashier. A lot of favoritism in the work place. I made it clear that I wanted a career not just a job. My location suffers from a severe lack of management. And that will not change as our store manager is friends with the regional manager. No pay raises.
Pros
Flexible schedule. Sunday’s off.
Cons
Expensive healthcare. Poor management. Poor pay.
yard crew
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  TXAugust 16, 2018
Laid back, busy at times loading customers always things to do.
like putting stock away. Management needs to be organized lack luster at best, ready to point fingers throw you under the bus.
Corporate staff are awesome people to work with.
Pros
if you like to work this is the place
Cons
lazy people in all dept. seems like they only there for a paycheck, management needs to figure it out
Not worker fruendly
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 13, 2018
McCoy’s is a fast paced business with lots of deals being made between manager and contractors. Not worker friendly. Customers were ok to deal with unless they were the elite of the store manager
Great culture and people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 12, 2018
McCoy's is a great company to work for with a strong culture if you are looking to gain easy career experience. Customers are great and it really is like a big family. Takes a lot of hard work to move up but the experience and pay was worth it. Owners are humble and truly care about their employees and offer a lot of training opportunities and strongly follow the culture that they built. Get to meet a lot of great people inside and out of the company. Work place is laid back but also structured. Very supportive HR and training department.

The job itself can be physically taxing, as well as extremely stressful. Need to know a lot, basically have to know how to build a house. Expected to increase sales but upper management can't (or won't) help with anything. Store level positions do not have a good work/life balance.
Pros
Culture, customers, great starter job
Cons
Poor upper management, poor work/life balance
Very productive and safe workplace
Retail Yard Crewmember (Former Employee) –  Cleburne, TXAugust 1, 2018
Management is very great, a typical work day would be helping customers also loading and unloading trucks, learned a lot about construction projects and roofing projects, most enjoyable part of the job would be helping customers, hardest part of the job is pulling some orders for delivery.
Overworked and Underpaid
Yard Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 17, 2018
A lot of heavy lifting involved and have to work outside during high
temperatures. Constantly have to work in hostile environment. Hardly any breaks. Management claims there is opportunity to grow with company but not true at all. When I started working for the company, I was approached by an assistant manager about an opening position within the company. I've been with McCoy's for several months now and the store manager never approached me to discuss about the position. Management claims to treat their employees like family but they do not. "I don't feel the love."
Pros
Closed on Sundays and Major Hollidays
Cons
Working in Hostile environment
Great workplace and environment
Sales for various departments (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXJuly 10, 2018
The customers are great, most are long time costumers. The work environment is positive and fast paced. The management side could be better, but other than that, it is a great place.
Pros
Positive people, lunch provided on occasion, and fun environment
Best of the Best!
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Floresville, TXJuly 10, 2018
Sadly I only worked for this company for six months, but I loved every day of it! My coworkers were friendly, and my managers were so thoughtful and understanding.
Pros
Heath care, paid vacation, good environment
Favoritism At It’s Finest 👌
Cashier (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 9, 2018
Not much to rate on this job, so just to put it in an easier perspective don’t apply with them. No authority or communication what so ever, just a waste of time. Just childish games by management. Very unprofessional.
Productive and Family Oriented
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 30, 2018
Typically the mornings start off pretty fast pace and tend to slow down around lunch and get slower as the day goes on, being busier at the beginning of the week and Saturdays being very busy. Over all people oriented and awesome place to work.
Pros
Hour Lunch breaks
Cons
Difficult to Advance in employment
A Typical day at work
FLOOR SALES ASSOCIATE/BACK-UP CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 23, 2018
A typical day for me on this job was helping high volume of people on sales floor to find various items to either fix problems at home or complete a project. I answered a high volume of calls and processed orders into computer. I would cashier at front of store if I was asked too and I really enjoyed that.
Pros
Excellent store hours
Cons
unappreciative Management
Fast passe and stressful
Lumber Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Aransas Pass, TXJune 11, 2018
No breaks except for a hour lunch break, i started after hurricane Harvey had hit so it was very long days with long lines of rude customers, it was fun working with forklifts tho
Promotes the team
Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 30, 2018
At McCoys Building Supply I was able to work independently while still working in a team environment. The management cared very much about the community and donated in many ways.
Manger job tough. Did not have the support
Retail Store Manager/Corporate Buyer (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 28, 2018
Great place to work. Really did not have the chance to support their corporate culture. There was really no time other than try to maximize sales and gross profit. That unfortunately is what I was focused on.
Pros
Flexible time. Customers were great.
Cons
No support
Family-oriented workplace with strong emphasis on emotional security
Marketing Intern and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 18, 2018
The corporate environment is very caring, sensitive and supportive. High emphasis on emotional intelligence. Hard to promote because people stay in positions long term, however the environment is so healthy and caring that I would have been happy to stay.
Pros
catered lunches, corporate training, internship program with local university, holiday parties, holiday bonus
Cons
average pay
Down to earth family company
Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXMay 10, 2018
McCoys is a relaxed environment where you get to listen to old school county music. It serves bigger contract companies but does not pay very well. If it paid better I would have loved to stay.
Good learning experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2018
Manager was the worst in the company but the overall company culture and atmosphere was great. I would recommend this company just not the specific store i worked at.
Pros
Good structured management development
Cons
Locations are limited, management can do what they want
makes the day go by quick
Customer/Contractor Load (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TX 77808February 21, 2018
the location I worked at was in a booming city so you were usually pretty busy which helped the days go by pretty fast. the customers during the week were pretty regular so you'd get to know them
Pros
good people, good equipment
Cons
truely rain or shine, no matter how much rain
Great work/ life balance
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 15, 2018
The hours are steady and leave plenty of time for a life outside of workplace and you have every Sunday off! The management staff are excellent to work with and are very encouraging.
Pros
work culture, 1 hour long lunch breaks
Good place to work.
CDL Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, TXFebruary 15, 2018
*Driving part of the day and working in the lumber yard the rest of the day.
*Learned a lot about driving different Trucks and a lot about various *types of lumber and supplies
*Management was very fair as I saw it.
*Good workplace culture.
*Hardest part of the job was the outdoor weather.
*Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the public and making friends with repeat customers.
Cons
Outside environment, Hot Summers and Cold, Wet Winters.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McCoy's Building Supply. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about