McCoy's Building Supply Employee Reviews

Good Culture to work in.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Palestine, TXNovember 7, 2018
The culture at McCoy's is designed to be very constructive and allow for personal growth. The pay is very fair for most positions, management especially. The downside is that each store is a bit different based upon who the manager is; great managers make great stores to work in, but poor managers make the workplace more difficult.
It’s okay
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Burnet, TXOctober 31, 2018
You show up strap your load take off to another store unload come back and either pick up concrete or rebar and take it back to your home spot and that’s it
Yard Crew
Yard Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXOctober 24, 2018
You will be mainly loading and unloading customers and trucks. It is a warehouse/yard type of job. It is a very physical job. You will need a strong back and to be able to deal with the weather.
Pros
Sundays always off.
Cons
Working outside and physical labor
great place- management is ok
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXOctober 17, 2018
management is not the best. some of the employees are nice except for a few. fun place to work very fast pace. you will be on your feet all day long..
It was a fun place to work at
Lumber Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 15, 2018
I enjoyed the the time i had with Mccoys. Mgmt was great to work for. Lack of training is needed there at
Mccoys. Family oriented place, it’s all about family first
And work second.
Pitiful place no room for job improvement.
Forklift Operator/ yard crew (Former Employee) –  Floresville, TXSeptember 6, 2018
I was there almost to years with the yard leader position open for the past year , no interview was given only got a raise when saying I was going to leave, raises are not given until the absolute last moment in a last hope to keep you. Though they are good at needing time off for family matters or other emergencies. No moral everyone has a sour attitude and dread coming to work.
Pros
Customers are good to talk to .
Cons
A lot they are in my review
Could use some management!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, TXAugust 22, 2018
I love my job but feel as though I am a career cashier. A lot of favoritism in the work place. I made it clear that I wanted a career not just a job. My location suffers from a severe lack of management. And that will not change as our store manager is friends with the regional manager. No pay raises.
Pros
Flexible schedule. Sunday’s off.
Cons
Expensive healthcare. Poor management. Poor pay.
yard crew
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  TXAugust 16, 2018
Laid back, busy at times loading customers always things to do.
like putting stock away. Management needs to be organized lack luster at best, ready to point fingers throw you under the bus.
Corporate staff are awesome people to work with.
Pros
if you like to work this is the place
Cons
lazy people in all dept. seems like they only there for a paycheck, management needs to figure it out
Not worker fruendly
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 13, 2018
McCoy’s is a fast paced business with lots of deals being made between manager and contractors. Not worker friendly. Customers were ok to deal with unless they were the elite of the store manager
Great culture and people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 12, 2018
McCoy's is a great company to work for with a strong culture if you are looking to gain easy career experience. Customers are great and it really is like a big family. Takes a lot of hard work to move up but the experience and pay was worth it. Owners are humble and truly care about their employees and offer a lot of training opportunities and strongly follow the culture that they built. Get to meet a lot of great people inside and out of the company. Work place is laid back but also structured. Very supportive HR and training department.

The job itself can be physically taxing, as well as extremely stressful. Need to know a lot, basically have to know how to build a house. Expected to increase sales but upper management can't (or won't) help with anything. Store level positions do not have a good work/life balance.
Pros
Culture, customers, great starter job
Cons
Poor upper management, poor work/life balance
Very productive and safe workplace
Retail Yard Crewmember (Former Employee) –  Cleburne, TXAugust 1, 2018
Management is very great, a typical work day would be helping customers also loading and unloading trucks, learned a lot about construction projects and roofing projects, most enjoyable part of the job would be helping customers, hardest part of the job is pulling some orders for delivery.
Overworked and Underpaid
Yard Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 17, 2018
A lot of heavy lifting involved and have to work outside during high
temperatures. Constantly have to work in hostile environment. Hardly any breaks. Management claims there is opportunity to grow with company but not true at all. When I started working for the company, I was approached by an assistant manager about an opening position within the company. I've been with McCoy's for several months now and the store manager never approached me to discuss about the position. Management claims to treat their employees like family but they do not. "I don't feel the love."
Pros
Closed on Sundays and Major Hollidays
Cons
Working in Hostile environment
Great workplace and environment
Sales for various departments (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXJuly 10, 2018
The customers are great, most are long time costumers. The work environment is positive and fast paced. The management side could be better, but other than that, it is a great place.
Pros
Positive people, lunch provided on occasion, and fun environment
Best of the Best!
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Floresville, TXJuly 10, 2018
Sadly I only worked for this company for six months, but I loved every day of it! My coworkers were friendly, and my managers were so thoughtful and understanding.
Pros
Heath care, paid vacation, good environment
Favoritism At It’s Finest 👌
Cashier (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 9, 2018
Not much to rate on this job, so just to put it in an easier perspective don’t apply with them. No authority or communication what so ever, just a waste of time. Just childish games by management. Very unprofessional.
Productive and Family Oriented
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 30, 2018
Typically the mornings start off pretty fast pace and tend to slow down around lunch and get slower as the day goes on, being busier at the beginning of the week and Saturdays being very busy. Over all people oriented and awesome place to work.
Pros
Hour Lunch breaks
Cons
Difficult to Advance in employment
A Typical day at work
FLOOR SALES ASSOCIATE/BACK-UP CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 23, 2018
A typical day for me on this job was helping high volume of people on sales floor to find various items to either fix problems at home or complete a project. I answered a high volume of calls and processed orders into computer. I would cashier at front of store if I was asked too and I really enjoyed that.
Pros
Excellent store hours
Cons
unappreciative Management
Fast passe and stressful
Lumber Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Aransas Pass, TXJune 11, 2018
No breaks except for a hour lunch break, i started after hurricane Harvey had hit so it was very long days with long lines of rude customers, it was fun working with forklifts tho
Promotes the team
Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 30, 2018
At McCoys Building Supply I was able to work independently while still working in a team environment. The management cared very much about the community and donated in many ways.
Manger job tough. Did not have the support
Retail Store Manager/Corporate Buyer (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 28, 2018
Great place to work. Really did not have the chance to support their corporate culture. There was really no time other than try to maximize sales and gross profit. That unfortunately is what I was focused on.
Pros
Flexible time. Customers were great.
Cons
No support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McCoy's Building Supply. Our community is ready to answer.