McDonough District Hospital Employee Reviews

Wide variety in population serviced, low wages and opportunities for advancement
Medical professional (Current Employee) –  Sports medicine and rehab/WOCJune 18, 2019
Non-competitive wages, offered less benefits than other, similar positions, treated (and told) as if easily replaceable, expected to work varying times and lengths of shifts and split-shifts, inconsistent expectations
Pros
Large organization for the area, opportunities to network/ join the club
Cons
Expected to receive all healthcare from that organization; insurance only covers that hospital
Does not invest in employees
Manager (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILApril 23, 2019
Expect more of employees than is feasible and does not give them the proper tools, training, resources for people to successfully do their jobs. The work/life balance is horrible, especially for all management levels. They ask you to wear multiple hats and constantly do more with less. The highest level of management is incompetent and dishonest. They place more value on the bottom line than they do in doing the right thing and providing excellent patient care and treating their employees well. Pay is on the lowest end of the scale for the area. There is rarely time to actually do work because of the insane number of meetings you are expected to attend. The meetings usually have no focused agenda and little is ever accomplished so they are typically a total waste of time. They are severely lacking promotion opportunities for employees and leadership training.
Flexible work place
Family Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMarch 20, 2019
I have enjoyed my career here at MDH. I have learned a lot from the other providers and staff. They are friendly and offer opportunities for staff to work out a balance between work and home. Family oriented.
Last option only
Part Time (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 15, 2019
Poorly managed, very little knowledge about important guidelines for healthcare. Culture is bad, very immature and needs to change. Management needs to do a 180 and figure out reality of what is happening to their small town hospital.
Ok place to work
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 3, 2019
Ok place to work. Some bullying goes on and is not addressed by management. Senior leadership doesn’t seem to care much about its employees. Pay is typical for a hospital
Pros
Air conditioned building
Cons
Pay isn’t geeat
Very stressful place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILDecember 3, 2018
Patient safety was my biggest concern. Staffing was not appropriate for the acuity of the patients. Missed many lunch breaks and made to “feel guilty” if I took a lunch or if I did not want to come in on my day off.
Pros
Willing to train new RN’s.
Excellent management
Intern Student (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILNovember 13, 2018
I observed for four months in the rehabilitation department and was quite impressed with the culture among staff. Peers hold one another to high standards and expect nothing, but the best from one another.
To many internal problems with leadship
EMT-Basic (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILJune 29, 2018
The RN staff is great. Leadership and CEO has a lot of problems. All the ER doctors are all rented out. ER RN's are under staff for the pt to RN ratio.
Pros
great ER RN staff
Cons
Too many to list
Amazing
Pharmacy Technician I (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILMay 24, 2018
MDH was a great place to work. There you could balance your work life with your social life very easily. It also had a very family oriented atmosphere.
Poor overall higher management
Medical Professional (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILMarch 9, 2018
Employees are not a priority. There's good people to be found throughout the organization but not in the right places overall. It is a good place to start to gain experience though.
I totally enjoyed my job
Director of Sterile Processing (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 18, 2018
I enjoyed my job very much and took great pride in the job I did. I had a lot of responsibility and worked very hard and did regular research to make sure everything was current and done correctly.
Pros
I was trusted that I knew my job and left alone to do that job.
Cons
No communication as to the financial issues the hospital.They were apparently having difficulty, so important people had their job one minute and then let go the next. However, as a Director, I was required to give them 90 Days notice if I were to resign!
Community based hospital feel
Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILNovember 13, 2017
Was a good job with community feel , people are nice for the most part get a good vibe .work is fairly steady. Management could be better. Job was outsourced to a company that only cares about Numbers.
Professionally casual environment with advancement opportunities
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILJuly 28, 2017
MDH provides great benefits. Even part-time employees can get benefits at a reasonable price. Department leaders are down to earth and sincerely interested in helping their staff to grow and improve.
Pros
Benefits, friendly staff, decent work hours, education reimbursement
Great benefits
Social Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILJuly 24, 2017
The benefit package is great. I love the small town relationships that are formed with staff and patients. The job security is not as secure lately due to community and healthcare changes.
its a job
Phlebotomist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJune 29, 2017
average work place, good health insurance benefits, fair management, satisfying work, job security, limited potential for job advancement, good work environment
McDonough District
GeriPsych RN (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILApril 23, 2017
Can be a wonderful place. Many great individuals work here. Located in a small area so it is a great place to build a community of like minded individuals. With any place there are downsides.
Cons
Hospital is cutting funding and staff, forcing more work on already overworked individuals.
Productive, fun environment to work in
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILMarch 29, 2017
We have meetings nearly weekly which really helps with communication and organization in the workplace.

Hardest part of the job is getting interrupted while trying to get multiple things done before its time to close.
Nice work enviroment
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILOctober 25, 2015
MDH has great benefits, free workout area for all employees. however they are not very competitive when it comes to wages.
McDonough District Hospital
Certified Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Macomb, ILJune 26, 2015
I have worked for this company for a little over three years now. I have developed many wonderful professional and personal relationships here. The staff are all very willing to work together and make working at MDH a very rewarding experience. I have enjoyed working here and will be sad to leave.
Pros
Excellent work experience, Good compensation
Cons
Lots of higher up political drama
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILAugust 1, 2014
I learned something new everyday My co workers were also like family