McElroy Truck Lines Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
The company makes sure their drivers are home every weekend.
Line Driver. Flatbed work. Pickup and delivery (Former Employee) –  Cuba, AL 36907May 29, 2018
McElroy Truck Lines was a family oriented company. You felt like you were someone special there. I had excellent communications with my dispatcher and the equipment is top notch. The work experience increased my knowledge of customer service with clients and work management.
Pros
Home every weekend
Cons
There were times my delivery time was so late (past 10pm).
Trucks
Regional Dedicated Flatbed Driver (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALMay 29, 2018
The trucks are very slow and sometimes they have you waiting for a while to get a load. They should have quick respond time, when it comes to load information.
Can’t say I’m displeased
Flatbed Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Ennis, TXMay 11, 2018
Mechanics in the shop are awesome, fleet manager is a great person and is always looking out for drivers. It’s not hard to succeed, you just have to put your best foot forward. It’s like anything else, good days come and so do the bad, however the good outweigh the bad. Honestly enjoy working at McElroy and the Ennis terminal.
Pros
Great fleet manager, great mechanics, great equipment, positive environment
Cons
Trucks are a little slow. (It’s bad when the swift truck passes you)
Horrible Place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALMay 1, 2018
They take full advantage of you as a new driver. They pay as little as possible and lie their butts off to you to get you in the door. No one stays more than 6 months. It is that bad of a company.
Pros
Cons
Everything about them is horrible.
Nice company, great work out
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Gaston, NCMarch 14, 2018
Overall the company is a good company, you can not advance in the least however it can and will certainly pay the bills. Allegedly you get paid for tarp pay, but standard pay to the mile is pretty good. Requires you to stay active, to my knowledge was an 100% mandatory tarp company even when not necessary. They honor being home every weekend, even though it may be short lived you are home. Not too big on the open door policy, but they will work with you if its a "simple fix" issue, otherwise you might be out of luck. However again I can say it is a good company, but not a forever company.
Pros
Good workout, decent paying company, great start in trucking career.
Cons
Slightly underpaid, home time is limited.
This was a great place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill NCMarch 12, 2018
McElroy is an awesome starter company for someone who just got their CDL. The pay is the highest you will find in a starter company. The training program is short but very educational. All the dispatchers I worked with were amazing. They fix things that need to be fixed. The only downside to the company that I seen was that they say they guarantee hometime every weekend but they don't tell you that the final week of training is meant for people around alabama so if you live in the carolinas or further north you probably wont get home that weekend. However they do get you a nice hotel room for the weekend and a company van so you can go places that weekend.
Pros
Highest pay in a starter company, very understanding if you have a family situation when you need to get home quickly
Cons
Final week is in alabama and some people do not make it home that weekend, leaving out sunday
Its a job
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXMarch 7, 2018
A good company compensate their drivers this company don,t to be away from home working fourteen hours days sometimes longer tarping and untarping loads which they don,t pay u for is very discouraging the turn around ratio is very high the money im making with this company i could make at chuckie duckie 🍔 and be home every night
Pros
Cons
The money u can make
Great people all around
Commercial Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, NCMarch 6, 2018
Great place to work you really set your own pace and your home every weekend.the staff seem to treat you well and my fleet manager really helped to make sure I was good to go when I first started out.
Is what It is.
Driver Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 29, 2018
It wasn't a bad job. At the time it was convenient and exactly what I was looking for. I drove in the early morning hours so it wasn't ideal in inclement weather.
Pros
Home everynight
Cons
long days
Great Company to Work For
Driver (Current Employee) –  Cuba, AL 36907January 22, 2018
McElroy really cares about it's drivers, they're a great company to work for. Pay is very competitive, they really pay you what your worth. If it weren't for having a family I want to be home with, it would be the perfect place to work. The home time is very reliable though, you will be home every weekend and occasionally during the week.
Good company
Flatbed driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2017
If you enjoy driving a spread-axle flatbed trailer hauling gypsum, steel coils and construction materials in the midwest, then this is a company you will want to check out.
Great place to start out and learn about your job.
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Cuba, ALDecember 7, 2017
I love working with Mcelroy and I love the people that I work with. The only reason I am leaving is because I need a job where I can be home every night due to me having a newborn at home. Overall this company treats their drivers with respect and dignity and always do their best to help their drivers.
Pros
.48 cpm
Cons
Otr
Good start up company
Driver (Current Employee) –  KennesawNovember 2, 2017
Good start up company and great training. Although, maybe hard to grow after two years or more. Mcelroy always had me home
but like all flatbeds freight may drop for two months during winter.
McElroy is a good place to work
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALNovember 1, 2017
McElroy hired me in my last semester in college and allowed me to get my foot in the door with the Transportation industry, In a time when a lot of college graduates were struggling I was beginning my career with McElroy.
Great for student driver
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALOctober 13, 2017
McElroy Truck Lines is one of the best companies to begin a flatbed career great freight terrible sometime management is no the best decent work environment
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Strict
horrible Company
Flatbed Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALSeptember 20, 2017
Not a very good company to work for, great to start and get a little experience and then leave miles are low, your home on weekends but late Friday and then leave Sunday morning! Very stressful job, no commutation! You can find better!!
Great Company !
Flatbed Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXAugust 3, 2017
Mcelroy was my second flatbed driving job . I started out at Melton.... maybe i got lucky but i had a great time doing the lowes loads out of Ennis TX.
Manager was a great guy and the boys in the shop always happy to help out.
Home time about 48 hours a week and my pay was always on time and correct amount.
Right now im a daily driver and being home every night is great but driving for Mcelroy thought me lots about flatbed ins and outs but even more important how to handle myself 5 days a week on my own.
Recap: great company to work for. They train you well and give you and your family good healthcare.
Thanks
Pros
Good management, pay, hometime
Cons
Trucks are not to sexy and slow
Not happy
Truck Driver Class A OTR (Current Employee) –  Cuba, ALJuly 24, 2017
Every company has it flaws i wouldnt encourage anybody to come to this company.
Ive just been waiting my year so i can find something better. They lie to you about the cameras in there tractors
Pros
Promised off on weekends
Cons
Driver facing cameras
great job
Driver (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXJune 19, 2017
A great place for a driver who is looking for weekends at home. Regional routes that get you great miles. spouse rider program is also a great benefit.
Local and otr flatbed
Driver (Former Employee) –  Washington Court House, OHApril 7, 2017
I drove out of a lowes dc and it was a good gig. They win carrier of the year for lowes every year. They pay well, have nice equipment and care about their drivers.