McElroy Truck Lines Employee Reviews

Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALNovember 27, 2018
There is not much diversity in the offices however there are in the trucks. Overall this is a great place to work. They truly care for thier employees. Good pay and Good benefits.
Not sure, never got a chance
New recruit (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXOctober 4, 2018
Ok, so here's my take. I'm talking to recruiters everything sounds all good and if u do your homework you'll see that they are a 100% tarping company which is fine. But they tell u that 75% of the loads are prepared tarped and loaded. However what they don't tell you coming into orientation is that you will have to take an agility test which is like going to an extreme boot camp and at the end of all that simulate loading tarps ranging from 25 lbs to 120 lbs on a trailer. And if u can't do that you fail the test and aren't hirable. And since you aren't hirable then u have to return home with basically no compensation for your time there because the hotel and drug testing then come out of your pocket. It seems like an ok company but if u don't think u can't lift the 120 lbs then don't waste your time because it is a requirement and your a liability that they are not willing to take a risk on.
Well done
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALDecember 10, 2018
This is a great place to work. They do care about safety and their drivers. They are very strict, in particular when it comes to safety. It is a great work culture. Honestly one of the best companies I have worked for in any field, I hated to leave.
Pros
All around good company
Cons
Limited work options.
Nice People to work for
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Cuba, ALJanuary 4, 2019
I have no complaints They do as they say It’s all up to you to whether or not you want to get the money or not The home time is great and the routes are not bad either Definetly a good starting company to learn the CDL industry
Best Job I’ve had
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cuba, ALAugust 12, 2018
McElroy Truck Lines has been the best job I’ve had in my career thus far. It is a Christian based company and they look out and take care of all of their employees, from the drives to the shop personnel and on to the office personnel and cleaning ladies, we’re all treated equally and fairly.
Pros
All the overtime you want
Cons
Haven’t had any yet
Wish I would have went elsewhere
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  AlabamaOctober 30, 2018
The cameras will pop on for every little thing so you’re practically being spied on anytime you’re driving. The trucks can’t pull and take forever to get up to speed and pray you don’t hit a hard climb.

You get paid a measly $25 for tarp pay and you’re expected to tarp just about everything for no reason other than “safety”. If you pick up from lowes distribution or any “pre tarped” facility, you will get beat out of your tarp pay. But guess what! You still have to bungee everything down,pull on the tarp to fix it because the idiots that pre-tarp can’t do their job properly, THEN you still have to undo it all, for FREE.

Mcelroy doesn’t care about it’s drivers. They hire graduates because they are in constant need because they can’t retain anyone. People who have worked here for years have walked out on them.

My truck is a 2018. It has been in the shop multiple times and seems to always have some little thing breaking. They will ride you and make you learn to drive a manual truck, then snatch it from you and force you into an automatic after all of the trouble they put you through with shifting. They don’t take drivers into consideration on any equipment changes even though we are the ones spending 11 hours a day driving while they sit in an office chair.

My truck has literally came to a complete stop while climbing a hill on the interstate and I was lucky enough to get it onto the shoulder with only a few inches of trailer sticking in the road. This was NOT the first time and it wasn’t the first time I called the company about it. Nothing has ever been done about
  more... it because they don’t care as long as it will somehow earn them $1 still.

The cargo is the same stuff over and over. There’s nothing interesting about the job and quite frankly, they only seem to haul things that any idiot with half a brain could secure. They offer barely any opportunity if you want to switch to day cab and with their tarping policy and the fact they want you to do two loads, daycab with them isn’t worth it.

Basically if you want to work for a company with junk for trucks that hauls the same boring cargo over and over and doesn’t Care about their driver, come work for Mcelroy!
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else
Ok company to start out of CDL school
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXAugust 2, 2018
This is a honest blunt unbiased review based on my experiences so please read carefully.
Employed from 2015-2017.
I had 7 weeks training and this includes 2 weeks on yard, 4 weeks on road with trainer, and final week in Cuba, AL.
Left MTL for a better job that is local and better pay. Main reason I left is to have more time with my family.
Started at .46 per mile and left at .49 per mile.
NO pay for tarping which I believe is NOT fair due to dangerous labor and safety injury/death hazards if you fall from trailer.
Averaged 1100-1500 miles weekly so you do the math. Some weeks more and some weeks less. Miles were never consistent. Yes, MTL has minimum pay loads.
Slow trucks which is another safety hazard but overall very good equipment.
Mandatory Monday 7am delivery unless otherwise stated. I typically left out on Monday mornings but sometimes Sunday evenings.
Every load must be tarped except wired coils and shingles. If not then you may be terminated and DON'T forget there are always eyes looking and that applies anywhere else.
Overall, good company to start trucking career and yes I do recommend this company. Is there better companies? Yes. Remember though that there are NO perfect companies.
Pros
Free health insurance for employees only, guaranteed weekends off, great equipment.
Cons
Non consistency of miles, Not enough miles, NO tarp pay, slow trucks.
Great company
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Cuba, ALOctober 16, 2018
Great trucking company especially if you are just coming out of school they start you at .49 cpm empty and loaded and get you home every weekend with about 80% of load pre-tarped
The company makes sure their drivers are home every weekend.
Line Driver. Flatbed work. Pickup and delivery (Former Employee) –  Cuba, AL 36907May 29, 2018
McElroy Truck Lines was a family oriented company. You felt like you were someone special there. I had excellent communications with my dispatcher and the equipment is top notch. The work experience increased my knowledge of customer service with clients and work management.
Pros
Home every weekend
Cons
There were times my delivery time was so late (past 10pm).
Ok to work for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALJune 23, 2018
I worked there for a very short time. Not a bad place to work but my issue was I was put in a lemon of a truck and stayed in the shop almost weekly. It was impossible to make money that way
Nice company, great work out
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Gaston, NCMarch 14, 2018
Overall the company is a good company, you can not advance in the least however it can and will certainly pay the bills. Allegedly you get paid for tarp pay, but standard pay to the mile is pretty good. Requires you to stay active, to my knowledge was an 100% mandatory tarp company even when not necessary. They honor being home every weekend, even though it may be short lived you are home. Not too big on the open door policy, but they will work with you if its a "simple fix" issue, otherwise you might be out of luck. However again I can say it is a good company, but not a forever company.
Pros
Good workout, decent paying company, great start in trucking career.
Cons
Slightly underpaid, home time is limited.
Trucks
Regional Dedicated Flatbed Driver (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALMay 29, 2018
The trucks are very slow and sometimes they have you waiting for a while to get a load. They should have quick respond time, when it comes to load information.
A quality company with great job security and benifits.
Midwest Field Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALDecember 7, 2016
MTL is a family owned and operated company with high values in business. I would strongly recommend the company to anyone where job security and benefits are your top concerns.
The best job I ever had
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXAugust 14, 2015
I absolutely loved my coworkers and we worked very well together. Management always kept us on task without lording over us. Pay and benefits were great
Pros
long breaks, relaxed environment
Cons
last minute emergency calls
Good starting company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALFebruary 26, 2013
It is a good company to get some flat bed experience. management needs major improvement. To many times are loads forced onto drivers that are out of hours with punishment if you do not comply.
Pros
home weekends, good benefits
Cons
very poor managment
Can’t say I’m displeased
Flatbed Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Ennis, TXMay 11, 2018
Mechanics in the shop are awesome, fleet manager is a great person and is always looking out for drivers. It’s not hard to succeed, you just have to put your best foot forward. It’s like anything else, good days come and so do the bad, however the good outweigh the bad. Honestly enjoy working at McElroy and the Ennis terminal.
Pros
Great fleet manager, great mechanics, great equipment, positive environment
Cons
Trucks are a little slow. (It’s bad when the swift truck passes you)
Horrible Place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALMay 1, 2018
They take full advantage of you as a new driver. They pay as little as possible and lie their butts off to you to get you in the door. No one stays more than 6 months. It is that bad of a company.
Pros
Cons
Everything about them is horrible.
Its a good company, with decent pay
Flatbed Driver (Former Employee) –  Cuba, AL 36907February 16, 2016
My Trainer was terrible, he was very jumpy and extremely rude. He made racist remarks regularly and made me very uncomfortable. Needless to say i only made it to the fourth week of training, out of five.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
poor training
Good Place to work
Driver Trainee (Former Employee) –  Cuba Al.July 12, 2016
Great place to work if you can handle the OTR aspect. Very demanding job. Long days during training and no say in where your driver trainer will be located.
Pros
Great training and benefits
Cons
Away from family and training too far away
Good company, Good money.
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Cuba, ALJanuary 11, 2015
Driving, Tarping, Only home on weekends, Good money but very little home time.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
little hometime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McElroy Truck Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

McElroy Truck Lines Reviews by Location