McElroy Truck Lines Employee Reviews

Great company
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Cuba, ALOctober 16, 2018
Great trucking company especially if you are just coming out of school they start you at .49 cpm empty and loaded and get you home every weekend with about 80% of load pre-tarped
Not sure, never got a chance
New recruit (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXOctober 4, 2018
Ok, so here's my take. I'm talking to recruiters everything sounds all good and if u do your homework you'll see that they are a 100% tarping company which is fine. But they tell u that 75% of the loads are prepared tarped and loaded. However what they don't tell you coming into orientation is that you will have to take an agility test which is like going to an extreme boot camp and at the end of all that simulate loading tarps ranging from 25 lbs to 120 lbs on a trailer. And if u can't do that you fail the test and aren't hirable. And since you aren't hirable then u have to return home with basically no compensation for your time there because the hotel and drug testing then come out of your pocket. It seems like an ok company but if u don't think u can't lift the 120 lbs then don't waste your time because it is a requirement and your a liability that they are not willing to take a risk on.
Best Job I’ve had
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cuba, ALAugust 12, 2018
McElroy Truck Lines has been the best job I’ve had in my career thus far. It is a Christian based company and they look out and take care of all of their employees, from the drives to the shop personnel and on to the office personnel and cleaning ladies, we’re all treated equally and fairly.
Pros
All the overtime you want
Cons
Haven’t had any yet
Ok company to start out of CDL school
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXAugust 2, 2018
This is a honest blunt unbiased review based on my experiences so please read carefully.
Employed from 2015-2017.
I had 7 weeks training and this includes 2 weeks on yard, 4 weeks on road with trainer, and final week in Cuba, AL.
Left MTL for a better job that is local and better pay. Main reason I left is to have more time with my family.
Started at .46 per mile and left at .49 per mile.
NO pay for tarping which I believe is NOT fair due to dangerous labor and safety injury/death hazards if you fall from trailer.
Averaged 1100-1500 miles weekly so you do the math. Some weeks more and some weeks less. Miles were never consistent. Yes, MTL has minimum pay loads.
Slow trucks which is another safety hazard but overall very good equipment.
Mandatory Monday 7am delivery unless otherwise stated. I typically left out on Monday mornings but sometimes Sunday evenings.
Every load must be tarped except wired coils and shingles. If not then you may be terminated and DON'T forget there are always eyes looking and that applies anywhere else.
Overall, good company to start trucking career and yes I do recommend this company. Is there better companies? Yes. Remember though that there are NO perfect companies.
Pros
Free health insurance for employees only, guaranteed weekends off, great equipment.
Cons
Non consistency of miles, Not enough miles, NO tarp pay, slow trucks.
Ok to work for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALJune 23, 2018
I worked there for a very short time. Not a bad place to work but my issue was I was put in a lemon of a truck and stayed in the shop almost weekly. It was impossible to make money that way
The company makes sure their drivers are home every weekend.
Line Driver. Flatbed work. Pickup and delivery (Former Employee) –  Cuba, AL 36907May 29, 2018
McElroy Truck Lines was a family oriented company. You felt like you were someone special there. I had excellent communications with my dispatcher and the equipment is top notch. The work experience increased my knowledge of customer service with clients and work management.
Pros
Home every weekend
Cons
There were times my delivery time was so late (past 10pm).
Trucks
Regional Dedicated Flatbed Driver (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALMay 29, 2018
The trucks are very slow and sometimes they have you waiting for a while to get a load. They should have quick respond time, when it comes to load information.
Can’t say I’m displeased
Flatbed Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Ennis, TXMay 11, 2018
Mechanics in the shop are awesome, fleet manager is a great person and is always looking out for drivers. It’s not hard to succeed, you just have to put your best foot forward. It’s like anything else, good days come and so do the bad, however the good outweigh the bad. Honestly enjoy working at McElroy and the Ennis terminal.
Pros
Great fleet manager, great mechanics, great equipment, positive environment
Cons
Trucks are a little slow. (It’s bad when the swift truck passes you)
Horrible Place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALMay 1, 2018
They take full advantage of you as a new driver. They pay as little as possible and lie their butts off to you to get you in the door. No one stays more than 6 months. It is that bad of a company.
Pros
Cons
Everything about them is horrible.
Nice company, great work out
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Gaston, NCMarch 14, 2018
Overall the company is a good company, you can not advance in the least however it can and will certainly pay the bills. Allegedly you get paid for tarp pay, but standard pay to the mile is pretty good. Requires you to stay active, to my knowledge was an 100% mandatory tarp company even when not necessary. They honor being home every weekend, even though it may be short lived you are home. Not too big on the open door policy, but they will work with you if its a "simple fix" issue, otherwise you might be out of luck. However again I can say it is a good company, but not a forever company.
Pros
Good workout, decent paying company, great start in trucking career.
Cons
Slightly underpaid, home time is limited.
This was a great place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill NCMarch 12, 2018
McElroy is an awesome starter company for someone who just got their CDL. The pay is the highest you will find in a starter company. The training program is short but very educational. All the dispatchers I worked with were amazing. They fix things that need to be fixed. The only downside to the company that I seen was that they say they guarantee hometime every weekend but they don't tell you that the final week of training is meant for people around alabama so if you live in the carolinas or further north you probably wont get home that weekend. However they do get you a nice hotel room for the weekend and a company van so you can go places that weekend.
Pros
Highest pay in a starter company, very understanding if you have a family situation when you need to get home quickly
Cons
Final week is in alabama and some people do not make it home that weekend, leaving out sunday
Its a job
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXMarch 7, 2018
A good company compensate their drivers this company don,t to be away from home working fourteen hours days sometimes longer tarping and untarping loads which they don,t pay u for is very discouraging the turn around ratio is very high the money im making with this company i could make at chuckie duckie 🍔 and be home every night
Pros
Cons
The money u can make
Great people all around
Commercial Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, NCMarch 6, 2018
Great place to work you really set your own pace and your home every weekend.the staff seem to treat you well and my fleet manager really helped to make sure I was good to go when I first started out.
Is what It is.
Driver Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 29, 2018
It wasn't a bad job. At the time it was convenient and exactly what I was looking for. I drove in the early morning hours so it wasn't ideal in inclement weather.
Pros
Home everynight
Cons
long days
Great Company to Work For
Driver (Current Employee) –  Cuba, AL 36907January 22, 2018
McElroy really cares about it's drivers, they're a great company to work for. Pay is very competitive, they really pay you what your worth. If it weren't for having a family I want to be home with, it would be the perfect place to work. The home time is very reliable though, you will be home every weekend and occasionally during the week.
Good company
Flatbed driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2017
If you enjoy driving a spread-axle flatbed trailer hauling gypsum, steel coils and construction materials in the midwest, then this is a company you will want to check out.
Great place to start out and learn about your job.
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Cuba, ALDecember 7, 2017
I love working with Mcelroy and I love the people that I work with. The only reason I am leaving is because I need a job where I can be home every night due to me having a newborn at home. Overall this company treats their drivers with respect and dignity and always do their best to help their drivers.
Pros
.48 cpm
Cons
Otr
Good start up company
Driver (Current Employee) –  KennesawNovember 2, 2017
Good start up company and great training. Although, maybe hard to grow after two years or more. Mcelroy always had me home
but like all flatbeds freight may drop for two months during winter.
McElroy is a good place to work
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALNovember 1, 2017
McElroy hired me in my last semester in college and allowed me to get my foot in the door with the Transportation industry, In a time when a lot of college graduates were struggling I was beginning my career with McElroy.
Great for student driver
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Cuba, ALOctober 13, 2017
McElroy Truck Lines is one of the best companies to begin a flatbed career great freight terrible sometime management is no the best decent work environment
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Strict

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McElroy Truck Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about