McGladrey Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great learning experience
Technology & Management Consulting Director (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 2, 2018
McGladrey is a great place to learn quickly, be introduced to new aspects of technology and consulting. However, it's a very competitive environment.
Horrible Management
Administrative Assistant Senior (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTApril 9, 2018
They do not value you as an employee. The turn over rate is extremely high. There is a lot of backstabbing and clawing from your peers to get no where. Management is horrible. Overall, it's not a very good environment to work in.
Cons
Management style is horrible, No room for advancement, They do not value their hard working employees, They will try to keep your salary as low as they can in order to fit their needs.
Its ok
Lead Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2018
very interesting place. international firm, good pay and training. pursue face time and keep quiet while doing your work. centrally located in NYC. cheers.
Good company all around but maybe not at a small firm
Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMarch 12, 2018
I worked at McGladrey for my college internship for a few months. Most of the people were great and I learned more about being a professional in the workplace but since I was an intern there wasn't room for knowledge or learning advancement.
Pros
Great people, laid back culture
Cons
no time for learning significantly as intern
Did not enjoy
Business Development, Tax Technology (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 9, 2017
Job description did not accurately fit the position I was hired to do. Managers were very vague with expectations and goals. I felt like I was set up to fail.
productive and fun place to work, people very nice to work with
Seasonal Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 16, 2016
organized and review tax data. Scanned all of the appropriate paperwork into tax software and file accordingly. I learned how to manage my time and work load. management was awesome to work for very funny and outgoing. Co-workers were also fun and I really enjoyed working with them. The hardest part of the job was to learn the software. The most enjoyable part of the job was working Saturdays and getting free food and ice cream.
A continued work-in-progress
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2016
Most individuals remain in their respective silos. FAS does not positively interact with RAS, etc.. Too many regional silos. Younger associates become burned out and frustrated very quickly. That said, leadership is attempting to make corrections.
Great place to work with friendly coworkers
Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2015
Learned Audit Practice
Helpful management
Very friendly Coworkers
Hardest Part : learning to audit
enjoyable part : meeting new clients
Stressful Office Environment During Tax Season
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 29, 2015
Good place to work for a CPA. Admins have a so-so job here. Entry-level jobs here have some room for advancement. Overall a pretty good company. Lots of slow spells and lots of inefficiencies that middle management is unwilling to address. Frustrating most of the time.
Pros
Free food on weekends during tax season
Cons
Stress High
Great working environment
IT Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 15, 2015
Great working environment. Great place to really put your skill set to the test and where you can also challenge yourself.

Want to know more about McGladrey?

Ask a question
Midsize public accounting firm
Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 19, 2015
-Able to gain vast experience with variety of engagements you encounter.
-Work in different teams all the time.
-Rarely at the office as the job demands you to be out at the client or out of town.
-Flexible hours during the summer
Pros
Experience different industries and good opportunity to develop your career in acocunting
Cons
Long hours during busy season. Amount of hours are not allocated appropriately.
CPA firm focused on the middle market.
Consulting Director (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 19, 2015
Very strong presence in the Midwest. Very strong client service culture and focus on business development. Lot's of opportunity for advancement.
Great place
Senior Risk Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 13, 2015
Work life balance was great and the flexibility of a consulting job like this made it a great place to work. If I was doing another kind of consulting, I probably would still be in this role.
corporate reorginazing
Consultant/ Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  washington dcAugust 5, 2015
Company restructure and change name confusing but promises to be a stronger corporation. International opportunities for job placement.
Pros
internationally known
Cons
proactive leadership
Great People
Consulting Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 25, 2015
A typical day requires attending a client site. The management and co-workers are great people who enjoy their jobs and take time to help you advance.
Director (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisJune 1, 2015
Loved my peers, have lots of appreciation for the company. A great 12 years. Loads of opportunity but challenges in communication throughout entire teams (partners and senior leaders to new hires)
Pros
People, great enjoyment when team all pulled together to achieve the impossible
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement despite the company's attempts to do so
Easygoing workplace where everyone was friendly and polite.
Receptionist (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 27, 2015
Often I found that my assignments differed from day to day. Some days, I wouldn't have anything to do besides sit at the front desk and wait for clients to come in. Other days though, I would be in charge of scanning dozens of tax forms and entering them into our FileSite program, or tidying up conference rooms, or handling certified mail. One task I did have everyday though, was to sort through mail and deliver it to everyone in the office.
In terms of technical skills, I learned how to use Microsoft's FileSite program for saving documents. Most of the skills I learned there were about working in office environments though. For instance, I became better at looking for things to do if I wasn't assigned anything at the moment. I also became better at directly communicating with people if I was unsure about something, or even if it was just finishing a task.
My co-workers were all very nice. They took time to explain how I do things. They were also willing to explain things again if I needed more time to understand. The few times when I did make a mistake on a task, they were understanding about it, instead of getting mad at me. Most of the accountants walking by my front desk would smile and say hi to me. Some even asked me how my day was going and engaged me in small talk. I always appreciated being acknowledged as a person.
I never felt like there was anything too hard about my job. If anything, I felt the hardest part was on days when I didn't have enough to do and got bored. But really, I felt like that job was very manageable. The most enjoyable part
  more... of my job was having positive interactions with clients and knowing I was making their time at McGladrey easier.  less
Pros
Hour long lunch breaks, nice people, manageable work load, easy commuting.
Cons
Not always given enough tasks to do during the day.
Encouraging Learning Environment
Tax Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILMarch 11, 2015
Office Head helps facilitate a positive learning environment while providing exposure to clients within tax department.
Tier II firm that is more like a local firm
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  DallasFebruary 15, 2015
Even though McGladrey is the 5th largest national accounting firm, it has the feel of a local or regional firm a fraction of it's size. Poor leadership and direction in the Central Region. Little to no standardization across the firm. No training available, not even on-line trainings. If you are used to the Big 4, DO NOT join this firm.
Pros
There are none.
Cons
See above.
Full- Time Intern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2014
We were always busy, always had work to do. Helped me to learn how to multi-task and become more organized.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGladrey. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss