McHenry County Government Center Employee Reviews

terrible management
Road Crew (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILFebruary 27, 2019
When your a Snow-brid for DOT they treat you very different from everyone else and don’t care what you have to say. You would get more respect from road kill then the management here.
Funn job, horrible management
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILDecember 2, 2018
If you like to be over worked and treated like garbage Animal Control is for you! The job itself is fun. The management is horrible and unprofessional. The manager lets the lead kennel technician harness other employees. I would not recommend working there. It’s not worth the money to be harassed and treated like you are an idiot.
Pros
You get to help animals
Cons
Horrible management, bad pay, working on call
Great coworkers, terrible management
Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILAugust 23, 2018
I would avoid the health department at all cost. Awful managers who dont care about putting you in uncomfortable situations. So much turnover it's impossible to not be flooded with work. Typical lack of motivation type attitude
Pros
Paid lunch, government holidays
Cons
DO NOT work for the Circuit Clerk!
Court Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILApril 11, 2018
There is extremely high turnover in that office. You are constantly micromanaged and discouraged. There are no opportunities for advancement and the supervisors and constantly ratting people out to the managers.
Pros
paid vacation
Great co-workers.
Worker (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ILMarch 20, 2018
Great people to work with. Everyone is very friendly. 7.5 hour work days and all the normal government holidays plus vacation time. Typical government workplace.
Court Specialist I
Court Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILJanuary 26, 2018
I worked at the Circuit Clerk's office as a full- time Court Specialist I. Working with the judges was a pleasure, I cannot say the same about management. The manager and supervisors at this particular department were terrible to work with and they were the reason I ultimately left this office. When I first started working there, I was so happy and grateful to have a job. Over time, I realized that there are many problems at that office and they are perpetuated by the lack of good management. They micromanage, talk down to you, tell you all of the the things you are doing wrong, & write you up for insignificant things. There were times I went home completely discouraged and it started to affect my well-being.
That being said, I think it' s a good temporary job. They offer insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, & sick days. Its a good job to have on a resume, but I wouldn't stay there very long. It is an extremely toxic environment! There are some really great people that work there and would be great supervisors or managers, but there are no opportunities to advance. If you decide to work here, please beware and do not trust anybody, especially any leads or supervisors. They will stab you in the back when they get the chance. When you get the opportunity, make sure to transfer to a different department!
Pros
paid holidays and vacation
Cons
terrible management that constantly discourage you
The Government Center was a great first job
Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILNovember 6, 2017
It's been a long time since I've worked there so I'm sure things have changed, but I remember it to be a very political environment. A lot depended on who was asking. Many of the employees there are "lifers" and it is hard to be innovative. I was very disappointed with the management there, which is why I left.
Pros
Paid time off, Location
Traditional work environment
Recorder Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILMay 22, 2017
The typical day at work was fairly routine. Recording docs, maintaining invoices, mail back, and making copies was primarily my responsibility. The management I felt was very fair, and respectable. Hardest part about he job is keeping yourself from falling into a "zombie" mode, this increases the possibilities of errors. The work environment is the best part of the job, everyone is friendly and generally happy to be there.
Pros
Paid Breaks, 2 breaks per day.
Cons
Tedious work at times
I worked at the Health Department. There is little to no room for advancement, many programs are poorly managed and the pay is low.
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILJune 5, 2016
I worked for the Health Department for over 5 years. Management does not value their staff. There is a lot of dysfunction and favoritism across much of the department. Can be a good entry level job for a college grad, but not a long term job unless your okay with poor pay. Benefits are good and you get off for all the holidays.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Bad management
My coworkers are great!
Court specialist I (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ILMarch 14, 2015
I recently started working here and I love it! Everyone is really nice and I always have something to do. I work full time and I really enjoy going everyday.
Pros
Coworkers, paid vacation time, paid holidays
Controlled and Enjoyable
Web Designer/SharePoint Architect - change (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILOctober 29, 2014
Nice people and hard working group of individuals. Enjoyed working with the IT customers.
Great Everything
PC Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILFebruary 26, 2014
If my Family didn't relocate across the Country, I would have become a lifer and worked for the County until I retired.
Learned several skills
Judicial Tecnician (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILNovember 1, 2013
I still use the skills that my job taught me. A typical day was full of different people in all walks of life. Helped defendants as well as attorneys. Enjoyed the co-workers.
see below
Judicial Tech Administrative 1 (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILSeptember 16, 2013
typical day is answering phones, dealing with the public, assisting the receptionist as a backup. receive police reports from all different police officer offices, Woodstock, McHenry, Cary, Crystal Lake, Marengo etc.
the job is a hopping job, and i love it, keeps me real busy every day, and every day is different. Co-workers are the best to work for, or with.
the hardest is really nothing that we can't deal with, if an answer needs an attention, i contact the supervisor, to resolve the issue, and move to my next thing to do. everything will work out when you ask for assistance if you don't know the answer.
the most enjoyable part, is dealing with people, trying to help them as it arises. and i love to be busy all the time, makes the day go by faster, and i enjoy coming to work all the time. i am hard worker, and i am looking for a part time job, with your company.