McKean Defense Group Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Relaxed atmosphere, low stress
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  USAMay 10, 2018
Benefits (Medical) are not stellar. 401K match is great - unless you work at a field office (then it is virtually $0.00).

Management treats people like people, not cattle or numbers. Awesome.
Benefits
The Company Culture was Misleading
Sr. Project Controller (Former Employee) –  Washington Navy Yard, DCApril 4, 2018
The workload was not an issue the description of this position was not what I interviewed for this position wasn't what I accepted it was deceitful...
Pros
I was able to work remote a few days a week
Cons
The company was decentralized, Management was unaware of the nature of the offices outside of their main location.
Mckean Defensew Group Review
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2018
Outstanding company to work for. Love the team I work with feels more like family vice Work Environment.

Superb to be a employee owned company where we can feel a since of pride for what we do and provide to our clients and customers.
Pros
Oustading Work Enviroment
Cons
Working ojn a contract
Outstanding Leaders and Administrators
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAFebruary 11, 2018
I loved my time with McKean Defense. The managers were awesome, IT was very cooperative and HR was on top of everything. Every issue I had with pay or IT was resolved quickly and without issues.
Pros
Pto, 401K, Family/Work balance
Cons
contract company for the government
SURFMEPP Detachment Engineer Pearl Harbor Hawaii (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIJanuary 26, 2018
fair company that could have just left me hanging but they fought for me and did try to find a new position within the company. I would have love to continue working for them
McKean Defense Group LLC
Network Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 22, 2017
McKean is a great company to work for. They offer plenty of benefits and the option to travel. You get paid during government holidays with an ease of using PTO.
Solid Company
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 15, 2017
Company takes very good care of its employees and is highly competitive in the market. The company has made a great name within the market as one that provides customers with top-notch people.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Work depends on contract awards
Expect to give and receive loyalty
Engineer 5 (Current Employee) –  Marinette, WISeptember 12, 2017
I have been a contractor for hire for over 15 years working in the defense industry. Of all the companies I have worked for or with, none treated me better than McKean Defense Group. Usually working alone or in a small group on-site with the customers, I often felt forgotten with other companies. With McKean I always felt like they had my back.
Pros
Excellent management
Cons
less interested in growing you outside of your existing position
Developer (Naval Sea System Command) (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 12, 2017
Learned many new things. Management and all staff was great.

so much paper work and documentation to write. Workplace was

so great. Staff was so helpful.
Growing Company that's forgetting it's beginnings
Financial Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 12, 2017
When I started with this company, I thought it was so great! Management was super approachable. They seems to truly care about the little people that were making up their company. As the years went by, they grew so fast that they lost sight of their people. The company is now mostly really young employees straight out of college. Health benefits get worse every year. The worst is that they now care way more about their bottom line than about their employees. Job loyalty doesn't matter to them anymore. I think this company is still a good place for a young person starting out, but plan to put in a few years and then move on. If you hang around hoping to grow with the company you will end up disappointed.
Pros
Fast Growing, Employee Owned, young employees
Cons
Few career advancement opportunities, you don't exist to them if you're seated in a goverment building, expensive and mediocre health insurance
A Boring Headache
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 11, 2017
Several dry spells have worked their way into our doors and you end up sitting at your desk, week after week, with nothing to do. Management has no work around for you and seem not to care.
Pros
Pretty view, flexible work schedule
Cons
Everything else
typical department of defense contractor
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Crane, INApril 19, 2017
McKean is a typical Department of Defense contractor. No different than the other large contractors such as SAIC and URS. The customer is always right and the employees are a dime a dozen.
Professional atmosphere, good social environment
Workforce Planning Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 22, 2017
McKean Defense Group operates in multiple locations. The culture/climate will vary from location to location. My location was at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. I found the environment professional, challenging and the work meaningful. As with any organization, you must work to ensure lines of communications are open, clear and frequent to ensure objectives are met. Salaries and benefits were comparable for that location.
Pros
Cons
Disconnects between field representatives and corporate do exist
Typical Defense Contractor
Employee (Current Employee) –  Crane, INMarch 7, 2017
McKean is an employee owned defense contractor with employees all over the world. The company is growing quickly which some times leads to growing pains. Overall it is a good place to work.
Enjoyable office environment
Public Affairs Event Photographer (Former Employee) –  Crane, INJanuary 18, 2017
Pros:
Great co-workers
Opportunity to learn new skills
Good compensation

Cons:
Due to contracts, there wasn't much job security
Do not work here
Project Analyst/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 30, 2016
The company is only focused on the dollar. They do not care about their employees at the slightest. If the company wants to evolve then they need to be open to change but in the end they are stuck in their old ways and will never grow to their full potential.
Pros
Peers
Very good employer
Program Training Analyst (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 10, 2015
I enjoy working for McKean Defense Group, but as a contractor, sometimes government funds are not available to continue employment.
Streamline business operations
Operations OFfice Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 4, 2015
A typical day is make sure the business is running and all inquiries or requests are completed within a timely manner or done by end of the day. Travel is the most challenging and trying to maintain the budget for cost, using airfare credits accordingly or transferring to another passenger as not to lose money. Directing visitors and maintain calendar for conference rooms with 2 divisions under one roof.
Pros
I enjoy the challenge of successfully completeing multiple tasks
Cons
need to able to delegate work to others
Productive and always changing
Admin Support (Current Employee) –  San DiegoOctober 6, 2015
This is a fun place to work and is very flexible. You have to be open to change and be a people person. The program is always changing, so you have to know the latest and greatest manual and instructions.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No Sick Leave
Job is Secure, you will never move up or down
Naval Architect (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 10, 2015
McKean has moved up from a small business into the large business category. The management system is completely unable to compete in this environment. They do not look out for their employees, in fact they get raises based on number of hires per year (regardless of how many people leave). The constant turn around means that nobody has the knowledge or skills to pass on to the next group of new hires. If you are looking to build a career and learn from people with more experience, this is not the place for you.

Furthermore, it is common for employees to be promoted based on no merit. One employee was brought to HR on multiple occasions due to harassment of the younger engineers regardless of if they even worked with him. Then not more than 6 months after the latest incident he got promoted to be a program manager.

If you're looking for a place to start your career this is not it. Nobody will teach you and you will be talked about behind your back for anything you may not know/understand. If you're an engineer just out of school there are plenty of better opportunities out there that will help improve on your career and even pay you more.
Pros
Owners are nice
Cons
management is awful, no upward mobility, no engineering