McKinsey & Company

McKinsey & Company Employee Reviews

United States309 reviews

consultanttravelsmartbalancefirmcolleaguefridayworklife

Great people, Great Firm

I joined out of HBS, in the early 2000's. I stayed until 2010. What I found at McKinsey exceeded my expectations in every way. The training and pace of work were intense (and intense was what I was looking for at that time). What made it special was the quality of the people. I found my colleagues to be very down-to-earth, welcoming, and caring. Just good people.... That changed a bit the higher I went, in that relationships and interactions became more transactional... But those early days in a mid-size office, with great leadership, was special.

Ambiente laboral inestable

Procesos no son fijos y tampoco adaptablesLa cultura es pasiva y amigable

McKinsey & Company insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Ability to learn new things

Great places to work

Great place to learn, highly values driven, collaborative colleagues, tons of high impact work, Phenomenal network, high degree of agency in choosing what you want to work on and build,

It's a place to work at which pays well but isn't fun to work at

Work at Mckinsey if you want the experience and get a feel of the miserable work/life balance that does not exist. I worked as a senior engineer and I hated every day of it. You're supposed to know everything and work on things without getting any reward other than the daily standups. If you can do the work, nobody will bother you. But screw up once and you'll be fired immediately.

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Terrible work/life balance

Productive and fun workplace with lots of opportunity to travel

Great company overall to work at - the people are amazing and projects are fulfilling. In addition, everyone at the company has something new and intriguing to offer, and there feels as though there is something new to leran each day.

Great place to learn and grow. Not easy

I have learned more in one month here than I have at any of my prior internships (ranging from SWE to PM to consulting). The feedback model is incredible, and the autonomy you can be given to explore the interests that you want is truly powerful. Don't think the work is sustainable though... you have to give up a lot if you want to grind for partner.

Pros

travel and accomodation perks, flexibility of work, mentorship

Cons

intensity, pay doesn't match the amount of hours you work

Experience varies greatly based on industry/ project

It’s difficult to sum up my past 6 years at the firm. All I can say is it was a wild ride with global travels, fair amount of long hours and stress, but I’ll look back at it fondly some day.

What is the best part of working at the company?work culture is positive What is the most stressful part about working at the company?i don’t think so anything is there What is the work environment and culture like at the company?positive environment and responsible work culture

Die Arbeit war anspruchsvoll hat aber grosse Freude bereitet

Sprachen konnten gut eingesetzt werden.Jeder Tag war etwas speziellesAls Mensch sowie Mitarbeiter wurde man sehr geschätztAbwechslung des Jobs war toll

Good Job with a lot of fun challenges

You will be working with a lot of smart people, the job has a lot of challenges. It's going to be stressful, and there is a good chance that you will be gone by EOY, but if you made it, then it's worth it.

Excellent support for group overall

great support for team and individual development overall as we pursue client impact and values of the Firm together. fantastic colleagues who are supportive

Interesting colleagues, 30% interesting work 70% deck making

Interesting job overall, though more time is spent figuring out how to communicate thinking clearly than is spent doing the thinking itself. Hours not so bad in reality.

Less than expected

Pay is acceptable but can be better, especially year end bonus Workload is very high, most of it repetitive/boring tasks (slides making and excel sheets)

What is the best part of working at the company?Mckinsey has wide range of softwares and business processes. It was good to work at Mckinsey as i got opportunity to work in a complex env with multiple Business processes. I created reports in PowerBI, Tablueau, Worked in Tableau server to online migration, worked in Semantic tool which is based on AI.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?complex env. Getting access and reaching the right person will take little timeWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?work env. is very nice and friendly. culture is really goodWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?typical day would be to look for next steps as every day was a challenge since i was working on new projects

Expect to work hard but you will be compensated for it

Management expects a lot out of you but if you perform well under pressure and with changes, you will succeed. Lots of opportunity within the company to change roles and find your place.

Pros

Free Friday Lunch, benefits

Cons

Work/life balance can be hard with the amount of work

Challenging but rewarding

Training is provided and mastery is expected. The work was not difficult but the attention to detail expected was often stressful to achieve. However, I do believe it was best for the processes to be handled this way.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

Working on the technical area

The technical area is good, the only problem sometimes depends on the team you land on, but overall everyone is very open to change and talk. You mostly will have a job as long as you want to work.

Awesome workplace with competitive pay and quick advancement

this job is great, the travel is optional and frequent, business class, 5 star hotels (ritz carlton), the pay is competitive, there are clear expectations for performance and deliverables, regular feedback and promotions, raises are way more substantial than just inflation like industry players, management cares about the work and the work is meaningful to clients and the world.

Pros

5 star hotels, business class travel, remote work optional, $100k down payment loan to buy a house

Cons

meetings are at all times of the day, so work does not turn off before 7am or after 6pm

Benefits are amazing!

Workspace and culture are fairly decent. Benefits are completely paid by company for employee and very minimal for family coverage. Starting pay is decent but could be more.

Fast paced and high pressured environment

Client service is huge and often comes at the expense of employee wellness. If you're on a partnership path and can stick it out, it can be great. Non client service paths struggle to be seen and aren't always respected.

Pros

Great pay, work day flexibilty, great on resume

Cons

Long hours, dominant and aggressive attitudes, lack of respect for functional roles

Better than MBA

Learned everything there is to learn about how to run a business at McKinsey. Better than going to MBA. Lots of hard work and long hours though. Not a lifetime career for everyobe

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McKinsey & Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.6Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
3.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight