McLaren Health Care Employee Reviews

Worst place I have ever worked
Home Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Davison, MIJanuary 25, 2019
The Homecare arm of McLaren Flint is the most mismanaged and dangerous places to work ever. I would never recommend anyone to work in this health system or if you do beware and document every thing you do for future proof that you are doing the job they hired you for. Also the manages here rotated faster than anywhere I have ever worked. Toward the end I wasn't even taking time to remember the names of the senior managers, the left too quickly to keep up
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Unable to keep stable managmet and what they had were incompetent and vidictive.
Very Stressful Place to Work
PSR - Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 15, 2019
No company paid holidays, Health Insurance Sky High, Management VERY NASTY Attitude, Always changing rules no one has the employees back, Never listens to suggestions from the employees, Everything is just sweep under a rug, can never take a vacation due to the lack of pto time you have saved up, Not enough pay to work at such stressful place, Supervisors lie constantly to their employees
Pros
Good hours, No Holidays/ Weekend working
Cons
No paid Holidays, Have to used your own PTO time
Its a job..
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIFebruary 17, 2019
The people that you work with are nice for the most part. The problem is with management and expectations. I was thrown around different parts of the building I worked in and never had a permanent spot like everyone else. I was expected to remember information about 3 different doctors and their patients when some of them saw 30+ patients in a day. And the communication between staff and employees is horrible.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
bad communication
I was not compensated enough for the amount of work that was expected
Surgical Boarder (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIJanuary 2, 2019
I was floored at my short experience at McLaren hospital. The benefits were extremely high priced for as many people that were employed at that hospital , it should have been way cheaper per paycheck. Inadequate training, my trainer just up and quit on me. I was definitely not compensated well enough for the amount of work expected. People were not as friendly as I am use to with past employers/employees. Seemed to be an unusually high turnover rate which should have been a red flag to me.
Pros
Overtime was available
Cons
Cafeteria prices were ungodly, inadequte training, high turnover rate
advancement opportunities don't exist within hospital
Intensive Care Unit Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Mount Clemens, MIDecember 31, 2018
I wasted many years at this facility and never saw advancement opportunities. Very disappointed how management isn't called in when staff is short and working at unsafe levels. Working here over 10 years and still 8 dollars short of top of pay scale for a nurse!!!! Big disappointment
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Cons
worked many days without a lunch or break, no manager backing
Constant leadership turnover and poor pay scale
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIDecember 20, 2018
After spending 5+ years with the company I have seen 4 CEO's come and go. Each one making more employee cuts to save a buck. In five years I haven't seen an annual increase above 2% resulting in making just barely over a dollar more an hour then what I hired in making. Hard work and dedication is not rewarded at this company nor is it appreciated. The medical benefit package and PTO accrual is okay, but unfortunately that's not enough to keep good workers.
Bottom line is all they care about
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 2, 2019
Management does not care about the patients or the employees. Quality of care is constantly undermined by this company caring more about dollars than about the actual service being provided to the patients. I would not want anyone I know to get care at this hospital. Upper management is completely oblivious to the everyday work that is being performed. They are lucky to still be in business.
Stressful and understaffed workplace
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIDecember 26, 2018
A high demanding fast pasted environment, that is very short staffed.I have learned to be able to work with all different types of people.Also how to remain calm when all chaos breaks loose. My management is always telling us one thing and then one minute its a whole different case.I do have a really diverse culture at my workplace.The hardest part of my job is to actually do the work required. Management is shorting our hours but expecting more work or "volume" from the staff. I feel they are not making smart clear decisions about the clinic.The most enjoyable part is no weekends and no holidays and having fabulous co-works to get through the day with.
Pros
benifits, nice co-workers
Cons
stressful, hostile management tactics, short staffed
My typical day at McLaren
Case Management Liaison (Current Employee) –  Bay City, MINovember 12, 2018
A typical day at work consist of meeting and evaluating patients on the unit. Determine whether they will need placement at either a skilled nursing center, long term care hospital, or return home with home health care or any equipment, as a walker, cane, etc . If patients insurance requires a prior Auth, that would be obtained before the patient is discharged. Case Management will assist the RN in making sure each patient that is discharged is a safe and appropriate discharge.
Pros
Helping people on a daily basis
Cons
Not being able to please each and every person/patient
Supervisor's day
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIDecember 27, 2018
Typical day includes spending hours trying to figure out who will see patients as there is not enough staff. Suggestions are not taken seriously. This creates much stress and a negative atmosphere limiting life work balance as the stress is carried over. The most enjoyable part of job is working with staff and seeing how they assist the patients in a positive way.
Mclaren Lapeer does not pay enough
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Lapeer, MIDecember 19, 2018
I've worked here for over 5 years and I am making less than what Taco Bell pays. You are exposed to all sorts of illness. The workload is too much. You will be running your legs off. We have people that work off the clock just to get their work done. Managment does not care about anything except their incentive bonuses.
Pros
Co workers are nice
Cons
The pay sucks
Coworkers are great. Hourly pay is way below average
Provider base billing (Current Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIJanuary 23, 2019
Hourly pay is way below average. They do not allow overtime. Management is poor they don't even know what their employees job duties are. There is no communication between management and employees.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Low hourly pay. No approved overtime. Poor management
Worse place to work!!
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Shelby Twp, MIDecember 17, 2018
Management has no idea what they are doing continuously bullying talk down to employees always setting you up to fail / should you question compliance issues they retaliate .Your work is on a grading scale and expectations are unrealistic ,computer issues constant.
Pros
team mate are awesome
Cons
management
Very stressful place to work
Laboratory Clerk/Registrar (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIDecember 28, 2018
Poor management. Never was praised for your good work. Only pulled into the office when she felt you did something wrong. Which was usually nothing to do with your work.
Pros
Enjoyed the businesses of my job
Cons
Your work was not how your evaluation was based on, it was your happy attitude.
Nervous breakdown
Medicare Biller, Receptionist, Relief Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MIDecember 15, 2018
I had a nervous breakdown at work because of their lack of planning, poor organization skills, and management unavailability. My job caused me to have a nervous breakdown and get fired. I ended up getting my house repossessed and homeless for a time.
Benefits
Cons
Not organized
Rns rising up through the ranks that have no leadership or management knowledge or experience
Employee (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MINovember 6, 2018
Management is a joke. Once someone is in place, no matter how many employees leave because of them, they remain in place. The worst managers never get replaced, they just keep driving people away. No one wants to hear about your concerns or how to make things better. Older nurses that are lazy and want to sit at the desk all day train the new nurses to do the same. If a new nurse is active they will dump on her till she is worn out. More bad then good, and soon enough the good wonder why they are busting their butts when no one else is, and then they stop working hard too. Management is based on a negative re-enforcement not a positive one. The whole culture that has developed is a I don't care if you work there or not, there are lots of people that want to be here.....which is just not true.
Pros
three days a week
Cons
Poor management
Understaffed, but the staff that are currently employed are amazing, dedicated people
Emergency Room Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Port Huron, MINovember 8, 2018
Incredible nursing staff that are overworked due to being understaffed in every department, management has done nothing to correct this situation except to add more and more work to them including nurses, aides, and ancillary staff
hardest part of the job
Lab courier (Current Employee) –  MichiganOctober 6, 2018
Some of my coworkers were nice and others were completely cut-throat. I do know you do not always get to work with people you like, but these coworkers were horrible and never disciplined. Management has their favorites and even after they have altercations with others they are not disciplined.
Pros
24 hour facility, all shifts available
Cons
no advancement, poor management
Overall it was an okay experience...
Surgical Charge RN (Former Employee) –  Port Huron, MINovember 4, 2018
The Mclaren Hospital that I worked for was privately owned for the first 10 years of my career there. One of the main reasons I left was all of the changes that occured and how it affected pt care after the merge with Mclaren. I worked on a small surgical unit. Once we merged with Mclaren, they forced us to close our unit all the time based on numbers of patients and would often close our unit even when we had far more than enough patients to stay open and operate. Let me just say that transferring 13 fresh surgical patients to other units is conducive to NO ONE ! The benefits and pay were fair, the education is top notch and there are many opportunities to learn advance and grow I just couldn't hack the backhanded financial decisions that disturbed my patients.
Pros
pay, benefits, education, advancement opportunity
Cons
this company is definitely NOT patient focused.
Workplace Culture
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MI 48342October 27, 2018
Most of my co-workers were friendly, but there is always the exception. I did learn a lot here, but would not return. Insurance benefits are fair, but you cannot transfer to other floors for 1 year. Not the best experience overall.
Pros
Self-scheduling floors
Cons
Management ignores complaints about treatment received from co-workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McLaren Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight