McMenamins Employee Reviews

Lack of communication
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORJuly 12, 2018
I worked here for what seemed less than a week, everyone was nice and very welcoming expect for two people who were the ones that hired me. They seemed nice at first, but they eventually got upset after I specifically told them I worked on sundays. They decided to fire me after that which was in a very unprofessional way. But it's all good cause either way they didnt pay any attention to how some of the workers did they're job. I think I would only go to this place to admire and look around but to get a room never.
Pros
Food
Cons
Unprofessional, tref
Upper management is a miss
Housekeeping AAM (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAJuly 11, 2018
The environment is amazing and coworkers are top notch, but upper management dropped the ball. One of them is very unprofessional and extremely intrusive with personal space and purposely comes close enough to your face that you can see the pores on their skin. Was many complaints about this individual by numerous people and nothing is ever done about it.
Pros
Coworkers, Environment, benefits
Cons
Upper management
If you love people
Assistant Assistant Pub Manager (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORJune 22, 2018
if you love people it is a great place to work. But they run staff thin and over work management, that stress runs over to the other staff. Summers are fun and full of lots of events. Fast paced and good tips.
Pros
great people, great tips
Cons
overworked and run to thin.
Hard work but worth it
Server/Bartender/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 15, 2018
I worked with this company for over four years and had the pleasure of having an amazing pub manager and staff. Best company to work for in this industry! If you appreciate craft brews and being able to travel around the Pacific northwest to work on the many different properties they have, stick with this company.
Pros
McBenefits, guaranteed breaks, positive atmosphere
Where to begin...
Link Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJune 14, 2018
SKELETON-CREW
Constantly short staffed during the busiest times of the year, and if even one cook was unavailable for extended amounts of time the rest of the kitchen staff would easily jump right into way over 40 hours, WITH frequent call-ins. McMenamins can't keep their employees long enough, and they hire the bottom of the barrel with a lot of their employees being inexperienced.

NEPOTISM AND HIRING MISTAKES
Nepotism was frequent, and this caused issues because people who don't know how to keep their cool in a kitchen environment are hired. Poor judge of character on the part of the management at my location.

ABUSE BY MANAGEMENT
A new manager added shortly before I left would frequently walk back into the kitchen during busy rushes and curse and shout at her cooking staff. How they could hire someone to this position who did that can only be attributed to nepotism (or just hiring based on friendliness, not competence and demeanor).

BENEFITS
Benefits were easily the best part of the job: cheap hotel stays, adventurous spirit of the company, discounts on beer, wine, spas, massages, etc. THE BIG ISSUE is that none of that mattered (expect the alcohol) because as noted above you'd never get the time to enjoy nearly ANY of those cushy benefits due to the sheer volume of work they expected of you and the already bone-dry kitchen staff.

The benefits in the long run were just not worth it, expect the health coverage and stock options. But for a young person those don't really matter as much, since many of us are just passing through job-to-job while bettering themselves
  more... from college or trade schools.

In short, the job started out good and was very promising and fun, but the moment things start to slip up it becomes a land-slide of toxicity, stress, and over-demanding, abusive, negligent management. I simply would not recommend this job if you have plans for your future other than flipping burgers.
Pros
Cheap/Free Lunches, Awesome Benefits
Cons
Skeleton-crew, Long hours make benefits pointless
Good to the distribution drivers
BREWERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 8, 2018
The company treats the Production and Distribution departments better than most pub staff. The pay isn't bad, benefits are OK, almost always make your meal credit, little pressure concerning reasonable OT... but in Portland it's just not enough to live on for a household of more than one person. I would work for them again if the pay were higher or cost of living came down.
Good job while you're in school
Cook/Server (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJune 6, 2018
Make better money here than most restaurants in the area. Some people go the career route, and there is room for advancement, but it's also probably the best job for if you have a limited schedule and need to make enough money to live on.
Only care about the bottom dollar
Catering Assistant Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 29, 2018
I never felt like I was supported, listened to or mattered much. Higher-ups often let us know that we were replaceable and that we were lucky to work there. Fellow co-workers established a team like mentality and supported each other when times got tough. This could be such a great place to work if the pressure wasn't on to make as much money as possible in as few hours as we could.
Great place
Assitant Manager/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 1, 2018
Fun place face-paced environment. Great company to work for. Worked there as an assistant manager before I relocated to Tacoma, which is why I had to leave.
Very fast paced environment with friendly co workers
Host (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAFebruary 27, 2018
Since I worked there over the summer right on the Columbia River, most days were pretty crazy. It taught me how to perform under pressure as well as when days weren't going very well what I could do to fix it. The management was unfortunately somewhat disorganized, partly due to how busy it would be and it not being a up to par with regular restaurant chains, in how they manage their employees.
Pros
Meal Credit
Cons
Short breaks/none at all
Quality Company
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORFebruary 6, 2018
Wonderful establishment, good work environment, nice employees and room for training in additional duties and room for advancement. Team worked together well in fasted paced environment quickly serving employees.
Pros
Paid Lunch
Cons
Varied works hours
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 5, 2018
Unique and fun place to work! Never a dull moment, and typically busy and fast paced. Pay scale tends to be competitive for the industry, and progressing up through the ranks is an obtainable goal if you work for it.
Busy, not busy
Managenent (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 29, 2018
While there was consistent work days, the work load was feast or famine. There was a constant grind in order to advance and make a reasonable wage.
There was a reasonable amount of options for career advancements and a decent variety of choices.
Pros
Free meal credit
Cons
Depending on position, available hours.
Awesome place to work
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Mill Creek, WADecember 29, 2017
Loved this job! Moving across the country or I wouldn't have left. Flexible hours, awesome discounts within the company, benefits and PTO after six months, great management and awesome people to work with. Really relaxed place to work yet also managed well enough that shifts ran smoothly.
Working at McMenamins.
VIDEOGRAPHER AND ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 28, 2017
Working at McMenamins was great, they let me advance from dish washer to administrative assistant. People are nice, atmosphere is relaxed. Fun place to work.
fun vibrant atmosphere with great people and srvice.
line cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 15, 2017
over all the company is great, a really good atmosphere, and although the kitchens lack of room to work with, the food and service is amazing, food is not to expensive and has a phenomenal view of the river front.
Great community, they take care of you
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Forest Grove, OROctober 12, 2017
Working at McMenamins is a blast. It was my first real job, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The crew is great, and you can tell everybody is close. If you want the opposite of a desk job, this is the place.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Can get overwhelming
Great atmosphere
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Lincoln City, OROctober 6, 2017
Mcmenamins has a great and friendly staff that come from all walks of life. The management are also friendly but like most work places there is drama and a lot of the time that takes control of peoples willingness to work.
Pros
great people
Fun fastpaced, high volume
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAOctober 4, 2017
It all depends on which location your working at. They all different. And treat there employees differently. And the work volume varies too. I love the lacation that im at but have worked at some that i almost walked out of.
Worst company to work for
Line Cook/Assistant Kitchen Manger (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 21, 2017
I got fired for taking one sick day in over 4 years of working for this company. It took me 3 months to get unemployment but I won because I had plenty of evidence that I had called into my manager the day before and they tried to deny it. Phone records are great! They will throw you under the bus and do not generally care about their employees.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not much room for advancement if you are female and BOH.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMenamins. Our community is ready to answer.