McMenamins Employee Reviews in Portland, OR

Okay
CATERING CAPTAIN (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 8, 2019
I like working here. It’s not my future goal, but it’s great while I am still in college. I don’t see myself here for 10+ years. But it’s fun to work here
Great Benefit with fun work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 16, 2018
The work place have a lot great benefits to use and offer free hotel room for a night at Edgefield. I learned a lot from coworkers about cooking and doing dishes in quicker way.
Mcmenamins review
Pub staff (Current Employee) –  Portland, OR 97201October 7, 2018
Overall McMenamins is a decent company to work with. Most of the staff is good. If you're looking for a company within the food/Hotel hospitality you can make a decent wage with possibilities to move up. The company provides many different positions and you can sometimes relocate too.
Pros
Decent wages depending on location, fun atmosphere
Cons
hours can very a lot at times, serving/tips can be cutthroat at times
McMenamins
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 22, 2018
If you are a workaholic who can handle high levels of stress I recommend this job. They often have varying structures of management at each location so you never know how good of a team you’re going to get. Each location team is required to follow the same rules as the others but the management quality varies and consistency is not guaranteed.
Pros
Money. Staff friendliness. Eclectic company.
Cons
Overworked, under compensated.
A great opportunity for someone looking for work in food service
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 13, 2018
Every location is different, and there are over 60 locations in the company. Management, culture and hours vary wildly between locations, but the constants are the benefits, fringe benefits, and opportunity to advance within the company.
Pros
401k, healthcare, fringe benefits, opportunity to advance or move locations
Cons
irregular hours, nights and weekends
Good to the distribution drivers
BREWERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 8, 2018
The company treats the Production and Distribution departments better than most pub staff. The pay isn't bad, benefits are OK, almost always make your meal credit, little pressure concerning reasonable OT... but in Portland it's just not enough to live on for a household of more than one person. I would work for them again if the pay were higher or cost of living came down.
Only care about the bottom dollar
Catering Assistant Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 29, 2018
I never felt like I was supported, listened to or mattered much. Higher-ups often let us know that we were replaceable and that we were lucky to work there. Fellow co-workers established a team like mentality and supported each other when times got tough. This could be such a great place to work if the pressure wasn't on to make as much money as possible in as few hours as we could.
Great place
Assitant Manager/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 1, 2018
Fun place face-paced environment. Great company to work for. Worked there as an assistant manager before I relocated to Tacoma, which is why I had to leave.
High turnover, stressful operations, unfair expectations
Host, Editor, Designer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 16, 2018
Basically pay minimum wage despite being marketed as a "fine dining" establishment (certainly has the prices for it), tips were never great as a host, servers consistently approached or worked overtime, sometimes 11 days in a row without a break. Really not ideal. Kitchen staff usually great but definitely faced fare share of struggles, including navigating 3 different head chefs in the span of 6 months. McMenamins corporate leaders out of touch with grub workers, for sure...
Pros
Good food, camaraderie between front of hours coworkers
Cons
Managers get worse as people the higher up the ladder they are positioned, terrible pay for the work demands, logic for no free meals: "The McMenamin brothers pay for their food so you have to, too" even though hosts and servers don't own 70+ properties in two states...
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 5, 2018
Unique and fun place to work! Never a dull moment, and typically busy and fast paced. Pay scale tends to be competitive for the industry, and progressing up through the ranks is an obtainable goal if you work for it.
Busy, not busy
Managenent (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 29, 2018
While there was consistent work days, the work load was feast or famine. There was a constant grind in order to advance and make a reasonable wage.
There was a reasonable amount of options for career advancements and a decent variety of choices.
Pros
Free meal credit
Cons
Depending on position, available hours.
Working at McMenamins.
VIDEOGRAPHER AND ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 28, 2017
Working at McMenamins was great, they let me advance from dish washer to administrative assistant. People are nice, atmosphere is relaxed. Fun place to work.
Difficult and stressful work environment
Employee (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 6, 2017
Understaffed is a common theme at all properties and in all departments. Management is very concerned with labor numbers that they would rather provide bad service.

There are some cool perks to the working for McMenamins but they don't really make up for the horrendous work environments.

Long time employees only know how to work for the one company and expect the same loyalty but wont acknowledge that the company has zero loyalty to its employees.

McMenamins promotes this image of the "neighborhood pub" but it is quickly on its way to becoming a typical corporate restaurant.
Pros
meal credit, paid lunch, free concert tickets, discounts
Cons
zero flexibility, bad management, poor facilities & working conditions
Great people. Hard work. Decent pay.
Sous Chef/Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 16, 2017
The people I worked with were wonderful. The work was hard but not anything that can't be handled by a strong worker. The pay was good but not exactly what I'm looking for.
Pros
Free lunch. Tips. Learning experience.
Cons
Little free time. No set schedule. Not the best pay.
fast pace, high volume work environment
Assistant Bar Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 7, 2017
This job is great for people who love working in customer service, enjoy a fast paced atmosphere and can handle high volume sales. If you stick with it, moving up is easy in the company.
Productive fun place to be
Housekeeper/ Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 20, 2015
It was great place to work but the atmosphere sometimes was just terrible. The hardest part of the job was having to work at really fast pace because the guest decided to checkout late.
Pros
Free Lunches
Fun place to work, good company
Sales Reprehensive (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 8, 2015
Good Company to work for, creative environment. A lot of info and training about the company. Opportunity to work at other properties in Oregon and Washington.
Mid to high volume workplace with good benefits
Line Cook & General Assistance (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 9, 2015
I had a lot to take on, any given day, with attempting to get as much prep work done before the lunch rush came. Being the only one in the kitchen, there was usually no down time until my backup arrived around 3 or 4pm. My coworkers were amiable, if not always the hardest working. My managers were great, although they seemed to be under pressure from higher-ups, and the corporate office seemed to be out of touch with the actual workers. The hardest part of the job was having to constantly do work outside of my normal duties. The best part was working with good food and drinks in an interesting atmosphere.
Fun, laid back environment with room to grow.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 23, 2014
There are so many people at McMenamins that have been with the company for 10, 15 and even 20 years. This is rare in the hospitality industry but at McMenamins they take care of their employees with perks, benefits, and flexability. There is lots of room to grow into the Assistant Manager role and plenty of opportunity to transfer throughout Oregon and Washington but it gets very competitive at the HQ level and Pub Manager, General Manager, District Manager levels because there are so many long-term employees vying for those positions.
Pros
Concert/Hotel perks. Well known company
Cons
Plenty of competition for upper management and HQ positions.
Busy Busy Busy
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland , ORSeptember 25, 2014
This job opened the door for my cooking career. The staff took a chance and hired me with no experience and I needed up a Kitchen manager. Great company to work for.
Pros
Great advancements
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMenamins. Our community is ready to answer.