McMenamins Employee Reviews for Bartender

Fun and culturally rich company
BARTENDER & SERVER (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 15, 2019
A typical day relies solely on what was going on in the area. Being next to the Seattle Center the brewpub was often revolving around what events were going on. I learned so much about the company, the city, and the culture that they so lovingly shared to their employees. Management was fantastic, and totally for their employee's happiness both inside and outside the company. The hardest part of the job was the busy seasons (October-December). The most enjoyable thing about the job was the people that you met through McMenamins being such a recognizable place all throughout Washington and Oregon.
Management was poor
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, OROctober 9, 2018
The scheduling was really poorly done, people were working mostly 10-15 hour days then not knowing when to come back for over a week. Management also was bad at communicating between each other.
A great opportunity for someone looking for work in food service
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 13, 2018
Every location is different, and there are over 60 locations in the company. Management, culture and hours vary wildly between locations, but the constants are the benefits, fringe benefits, and opportunity to advance within the company.
Pros
401k, healthcare, fringe benefits, opportunity to advance or move locations
Cons
irregular hours, nights and weekends
Hard work but worth it
Server/Bartender/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 15, 2018
I worked with this company for over four years and had the pleasure of having an amazing pub manager and staff. Best company to work for in this industry! If you appreciate craft brews and being able to travel around the Pacific northwest to work on the many different properties they have, stick with this company.
Pros
McBenefits, guaranteed breaks, positive atmosphere
Awesome place to work
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Mill Creek, WADecember 29, 2017
Loved this job! Moving across the country or I wouldn't have left. Flexible hours, awesome discounts within the company, benefits and PTO after six months, great management and awesome people to work with. Really relaxed place to work yet also managed well enough that shifts ran smoothly.
Great benefits, environment and opportunity. Poor everything else.
Server/Bartender manager (Former Employee) –  AllAugust 13, 2016
After many years with the company and eventually making my way up the ladder I was able to see all sides of the business, good and bad. And first off, not a disgruntled ex-employee. Ex-employee for sure but I still frequent the establishments often. Love what the company does with old buildings and the things they provide to the community. Just an honest review of how this company treats staff.
At first I was totally in love with the company, great benefits (discounts on rooms, food & beer!), historic buildings and a pretty cool culture. What more could you ask for?

Breaks? Not so much. Management was keen on saying "when we can" "it's too busy" but when wasn't it busy? It's McMenamins, it's always busy. In fact it felt like you would be punished for asking for a break, often being given a break last if at all.

Training? 6 days - learn the basics of their beer, wine, spirits and coffee, menu and 28 points of service. Take 7 or so tests, one of which you have to pass day 1 or will be sent home and may never return (or so I was told). Need more time, hats fine but everyone will talk about how you needed 7 days to do what some did on 4 or 5. Trainer pass you through quickly because the manager needs servers? Get a negative comment or shopper report, it's 100% on you, you should have known better you passed training!

Employee concerns? Don't even bother saying anything. Management would often just say "the brothers wouldn't go for that" "we don't do that here" "did you tell so-and-so? It's their department". Even calling HR wouldn't work. I always thought HR was there
  more... to protect and support the employees, with McMenamins the whole HR department is there to protect the business and the managers in charge, that's it. Even in the event of serious matters like discrimination or harrasment as an employee you were made to feel powerless and often that you were at fault (personal and peer representations of events). An employee even got sick from work conditions and the initial course of action was to write them up for being unfit for duty. What? Take care of the employees health and then worry about performance issues. Heck maybe just see if the employee did get sick because of something at work. OSHA? Oh wait, they haven't been inspected in a while...

Cleanliness? Are the GM's coming? Better clean then. Besides that only a surface cleaning was even bothered with, just enough to make it look good on the outside. Hand washing? Most of the servers never washed theirs hands, even after touring dirty dishes. Gross!

Performance? Better be careful of those secret shoppers! If you get less than a 95% you will be written up. Oh you got written up? Did those things actually happen? Probably not. Management almost never properly investigated claims of policy violation, unless you were very clearly an hour late and hungover. But as long as your were friends with the manager you are good, no write up for you :) in fact many of the people I worked with were disciplined for events that never happened or didn't happen the way the manager portrayed.

The bottom line. That's what is #1. Not the guest, not the employee, not even the manager. It's all about the $$$. And believe me the my make plenty. That pint of beer you just spent $5.75 on, it cost them about $0.84 to produce it. That $14 burger that was probably over/under done, yeah that cost about $3.10 to produce. That $8.85 basket of fries, $0.80. Yeah sure, there's labor, building maintenance etc... built into to that price and they want to actually make money. But considering the quality of product, is it with it?

I could go on. But by now you must be wondering if it was so bad why did I, and many others continue to work there and accept promotions. It's simple, the environment attracts really wonderful people that make it feel like a family. That despite the negatives you get to work next to really awesome people. Educated, travelled, humorous people.
They make the promotions sound so good. It's like that infomercial for that juicer you just watched. You bought it didn't you? The same thing happens over and over, turn over after turn over. Most of the upper management is there because they lost their moral compass years ago, the Kool-Aid is pretty good (I had a few sips myself).
What's that? Free food and drink at meetings? Overnight trips to other properties. A trip to the brothers personal cabin? Sounds great, I'll sign on the dotted line! I get how much PTO? Raises? Wow this just keeps getting better and better!

Id it's too good to be true, it probably is!

Requesting PTO unless you happen to be a property manager, GM or your last name was McMenamin, good luck. Raises, your manager likely "didn't see that email", or oh you just happen to have a performance issue around that time (remember that, you probably didn't even do it to begin with).

I left this company because of the lack of fair treatment of employees across the board, biased decisions, clique like managers and unethical treatment of employees.

If this sounds like something you want to be a part of, have fun! Make sure to use that 50% off to-go wine discount before the Kool-Aid runs out (or someone else decides they want yours)
Pros
Good benefits, good wine, beer and spirits, nice environment
Cons
Management, training, everything else