McMenamins Employee Reviews for Server

3.2Job Security & Advancement
Tough but Fun
Server (Former Employee) –  OregonJuly 24, 2018
Fun company to work for. The owners were very friendly and knew most of the managers by name.
Being Head Manager required me to work a minimum of 45 hours a week which could be tough sometimes.
Fast paced working evironment with a supportive staff
Server (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORJuly 17, 2018
A typical day at work is very busy, mostly during the summer months. Sometimes you will be running around like crazy trying to get orders from people and food and drinks to your tables. On the busiest days sometimes there is no winning with your customers and they will be somewhat disappointed mostly because Mcmenamins restaurants are not fast food restaurants and sometimes people expect that. Also it can be understaffed at times which makes it difficult to keep up with the flow of business.

Coworkers were enjoyable and the atmosphere with the property and the people made the work fun and interesting. Hot summer days were very difficult if you work outside, and that combined with the fast pace flow of business and overabundant amount of customers was probably the hardest part about the job. The most enjoyable parts of the job were the other employees and managers who were nice, understanding, and open to making the work as fun as possible, and the benefits that came with the job such as discounts on alcohol and other merchandise at the front desk and restaurants.
Pros
semi-free lunches, outdoor and indoor working areas, great staff, company discounts
Cons
sometimes stressful pace, sometimes short-staffed
I moved on from food service jobs.
Server (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORMarch 17, 2017
I went to training at Grand Lodge as a server for one night, and decided that food service just isn't for me anymore. The management was very understanding and very kind and professional other than that. The staff was pretty cool too. The dishwasher was kind of an a-hole, but at least he was the only one like that.
Pros
Good management team, half off discount on the soaking pool.
Cons
They basically give you a novel that you have to memorize to be a server, with a test that needs to be passed 100%. Pay is minimum wage...but probably great tips.
Fun work place
Server (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORJanuary 3, 2017
Beautiful property to work on and the staff was very helpful.
I look forward to working with the company in future.
very knowledgeable staff.
Pros
working with great people on beautiful property
Cons
the tip out amount.
Great Summer Job
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 26, 2015
Greet guests, take orders, bring drinks, serve food and handle money. Busy place in the summer. Good for temp job. Staff is fun to work with and management is honestly amazing
Great staff, extremely busy at times.
Server (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WASeptember 24, 2013
Typical day of work includes interacting with customers in a fun and enjoyable way. Helping the customer receive what they ask for in a timely manner and fixing any problem that might arise. I have learned how to deal with a wide range of customers both in age and in personality. I am good at problem-solving and resolving issues quickly and efficiently. This job has taught me to be effective multi-tasker but also how to delegate work when I am in need of help.

The hardest part of the job is going from having a single table one minute, to having 8 sat all at the same time. It can be difficult to give each party the attention they need and require. Another difficult part about the job was the fact that the business doubles or triples when the summer time comes around. This particular restaurant has a patio that more than doubles the capacity of people it can hold and serve.

The most enjoyable part of the job has to be the people I work with. Everyone not only gets along, but are more than capable of helping each other when asked. The life/work balance was also a nice perk.
Pros
Paid lunches. Discount merchandise.
Cons
12 hour days. Short or no breaks.