McMenamins Employee Reviews

Working at McMenamins.
VIDEOGRAPHER AND ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 28, 2017
Working at McMenamins was great, they let me advance from dish washer to administrative assistant. People are nice, atmosphere is relaxed. Fun place to work.
fun vibrant atmosphere with great people and srvice.
line cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 15, 2017
over all the company is great, a really good atmosphere, and although the kitchens lack of room to work with, the food and service is amazing, food is not to expensive and has a phenomenal view of the river front.
Great community, they take care of you
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Forest Grove, OROctober 12, 2017
Working at McMenamins is a blast. It was my first real job, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The crew is great, and you can tell everybody is close. If you want the opposite of a desk job, this is the place.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Can get overwhelming
Great atmosphere
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Lincoln City, OROctober 6, 2017
Mcmenamins has a great and friendly staff that come from all walks of life. The management are also friendly but like most work places there is drama and a lot of the time that takes control of peoples willingness to work.
Pros
great people
Fun fastpaced, high volume
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAOctober 4, 2017
It all depends on which location your working at. They all different. And treat there employees differently. And the work volume varies too. I love the lacation that im at but have worked at some that i almost walked out of.
Worst company to work for
Line Cook/Assistant Kitchen Manger (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 21, 2017
I got fired for taking one sick day in over 4 years of working for this company. It took me 3 months to get unemployment but I won because I had plenty of evidence that I had called into my manager the day before and they tried to deny it. Phone records are great! They will throw you under the bus and do not generally care about their employees.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not much room for advancement if you are female and BOH.
Fun workplace and good summer job
Catering Server (Current Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORSeptember 11, 2017
You get to see all the fun events and be apart of someones party, surrounded by cool people. The hardest part of the job is you have to be fast and able to work up to 16 hours for one shift. Most enjoyable part of the job is the coworkers and the atmosphere.
Pros
Discounts on food when on the clock
Cons
Hours start to decrease after summer
Difficult and stressful work environment
Employee (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 6, 2017
Understaffed is a common theme at all properties and in all departments. Management is very concerned with labor numbers that they would rather provide bad service.

There are some cool perks to the working for McMenamins but they don't really make up for the horrendous work environments.

Long time employees only know how to work for the one company and expect the same loyalty but wont acknowledge that the company has zero loyalty to its employees.

McMenamins promotes this image of the "neighborhood pub" but it is quickly on its way to becoming a typical corporate restaurant.
Pros
meal credit, paid lunch, free concert tickets, discounts
Cons
zero flexibility, bad management, poor facilities & working conditions
High powered enviroment
Opening BOH/FOH Trainer (Former Employee) –  bend orAugust 18, 2017
Inventory, cash management, training, floor supervision, support, customer satisfaction.
Good food, great classics, and always adding items to stay fresh
Well oiled company with support all the way up.
Very knowledgable staff
Pros
Great Job, really allowed me to develop and flurish
Cons
I like this job just really long hours
Trainer and hostess (Current Employee) –  Troutdale, ORAugust 18, 2017
This job is and amazing summer job if all you want to do is work. I've been with this company for a year and a half. I love the people and the place. It just isn't fun working 10 hours a day, always running in your feet with little to no help. They don't have a set schedule so many days I'm there all day which is not a problem but I feel like it's time to get a different job with better scheduling and less chaos.
Pros
Summer when the money is flowing in and tips are amazing
Cons
Don't know when you'll go home. No set schedule
Great people. Hard work. Decent pay.
Sous Chef/Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 16, 2017
The people I worked with were wonderful. The work was hard but not anything that can't be handled by a strong worker. The pay was good but not exactly what I'm looking for.
Pros
Free lunch. Tips. Learning experience.
Cons
Little free time. No set schedule. Not the best pay.
Productive and fun workplace
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORMay 27, 2017
Everyone was very nice and friendly and it was a very fun place to work. I enjoyed going to work everyday I just wish I could have worked more hours but overall a great experience.
Fun pub food, laid back atmosphere
Line Cook/Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORMay 22, 2017
Good company for beginners in the industry, good benefits and discounts plus a lot of locations to work.high volume food production, live music, amazing art, and affordable rooms
Pros
Free lunch discounted beverages
Hectic work enviornment
Line-cook (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORMay 8, 2017
if you like VERY face paced work with a lot of labor and long hours then this place is home, Management does need improvement and schedules are often a mystery with only a starting time and then a question mark for when your shift is over. But it really isn't all that bad, if you enjoy a challenge and good food then this is the place for you, everyone who is there is very proud and invested in their work and job and it definitely shows
Pros
overtime, good people, competitive hours
Cons
overtime, uncertain schedule, management needs improvement
fast pace, high volume work environment
Assistant Bar Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 7, 2017
This job is great for people who love working in customer service, enjoy a fast paced atmosphere and can handle high volume sales. If you stick with it, moving up is easy in the company.
I moved on from food service jobs.
Server (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORMarch 17, 2017
I went to training at Grand Lodge as a server for one night, and decided that food service just isn't for me anymore. The management was very understanding and very kind and professional other than that. The staff was pretty cool too. The dishwasher was kind of an a-hole, but at least he was the only one like that.
Pros
Good management team, half off discount on the soaking pool.
Cons
They basically give you a novel that you have to memorize to be a server, with a test that needs to be passed 100%. Pay is minimum wage...but probably great tips.
Invest in the company and they will invest in you.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  OregonMarch 16, 2017
A great job with a company that takes care of it's long term employees, making the restaurant hospitality industry a realistic career in the PNW. 401K, and benefits. As employees move up in the company, the work life balance begins to decline despite increased vacation as employees will inevitably become married to their job, working nights/weekends/holidays and overtime. However, the monetary compensation is excellent, and employees make real connections and friends with their coworkers, making the work feel less like "work."
Fun work experience
Catering Captain/ Gift Shop Attendant (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORFebruary 1, 2017
Everyone that works at Edgefield is a lot of fun. It is like a large work community. Everyone that works there- works hard and the management was fantastic. I have nothing to say but that I had a wonderful experience and met a lot of fantastic people.
Fun work place
Server (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORJanuary 3, 2017
Beautiful property to work on and the staff was very helpful.
I look forward to working with the company in future.
very knowledgeable staff.
Pros
working with great people on beautiful property
Cons
the tip out amount.
Great Place
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 3, 2017
Mcminamins was one of the nicest, most popular resturaunts in Vancouver, it was fun to work at, i liked the management, the co workers, it was a fun place, lots of laughs, but very professional, i loved that i got tips as a dishwasher and got cheap meals, Food was great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMenamins. Our community is ready to answer.