McMenamins Employee Reviews

good job
Small Bar Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORDecember 11, 2016
great place to work, nice benefits. not a lot of complaints . Maybe better schedules and very hard to get off holidays . benefits are good and lots of other perks.
it was just ok
Dish Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 5, 2016
They didn't promote me after repeatedly saying they would. My duties increased every week. the people were all cool except for management. overall a big waste of time
Reliable Team Worker (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, OR 97060August 30, 2016
Team building, fast-paced, efficient, great opportunities, applicable skills, Food safety and knowledge, high end meal preparation, great culture and festivities
Great benefits, environment and opportunity. Poor everything else.
Server/Bartender manager (Former Employee) –  AllAugust 13, 2016
After many years with the company and eventually making my way up the ladder I was able to see all sides of the business, good and bad. And first off, not a disgruntled ex-employee. Ex-employee for sure but I still frequent the establishments often. Love what the company does with old buildings and the things they provide to the community. Just an honest review of how this company treats staff.
At first I was totally in love with the company, great benefits (discounts on rooms, food & beer!), historic buildings and a pretty cool culture. What more could you ask for?

Breaks? Not so much. Management was keen on saying "when we can" "it's too busy" but when wasn't it busy? It's McMenamins, it's always busy. In fact it felt like you would be punished for asking for a break, often being given a break last if at all.

Training? 6 days - learn the basics of their beer, wine, spirits and coffee, menu and 28 points of service. Take 7 or so tests, one of which you have to pass day 1 or will be sent home and may never return (or so I was told). Need more time, hats fine but everyone will talk about how you needed 7 days to do what some did on 4 or 5. Trainer pass you through quickly because the manager needs servers? Get a negative comment or shopper report, it's 100% on you, you should have known better you passed training!

Employee concerns? Don't even bother saying anything. Management would often just say "the brothers wouldn't go for that" "we don't do that here" "did you tell so-and-so? It's their department". Even calling HR wouldn't work. I always thought HR was there
  more... to protect and support the employees, with McMenamins the whole HR department is there to protect the business and the managers in charge, that's it. Even in the event of serious matters like discrimination or harrasment as an employee you were made to feel powerless and often that you were at fault (personal and peer representations of events). An employee even got sick from work conditions and the initial course of action was to write them up for being unfit for duty. What? Take care of the employees health and then worry about performance issues. Heck maybe just see if the employee did get sick because of something at work. OSHA? Oh wait, they haven't been inspected in a while...

Cleanliness? Are the GM's coming? Better clean then. Besides that only a surface cleaning was even bothered with, just enough to make it look good on the outside. Hand washing? Most of the servers never washed theirs hands, even after touring dirty dishes. Gross!

Performance? Better be careful of those secret shoppers! If you get less than a 95% you will be written up. Oh you got written up? Did those things actually happen? Probably not. Management almost never properly investigated claims of policy violation, unless you were very clearly an hour late and hungover. But as long as your were friends with the manager you are good, no write up for you :) in fact many of the people I worked with were disciplined for events that never happened or didn't happen the way the manager portrayed.

The bottom line. That's what is #1. Not the guest, not the employee, not even the manager. It's all about the $$$. And believe me the my make plenty. That pint of beer you just spent $5.75 on, it cost them about $0.84 to produce it. That $14 burger that was probably over/under done, yeah that cost about $3.10 to produce. That $8.85 basket of fries, $0.80. Yeah sure, there's labor, building maintenance etc... built into to that price and they want to actually make money. But considering the quality of product, is it with it?

I could go on. But by now you must be wondering if it was so bad why did I, and many others continue to work there and accept promotions. It's simple, the environment attracts really wonderful people that make it feel like a family. That despite the negatives you get to work next to really awesome people. Educated, travelled, humorous people.
They make the promotions sound so good. It's like that infomercial for that juicer you just watched. You bought it didn't you? The same thing happens over and over, turn over after turn over. Most of the upper management is there because they lost their moral compass years ago, the Kool-Aid is pretty good (I had a few sips myself).
What's that? Free food and drink at meetings? Overnight trips to other properties. A trip to the brothers personal cabin? Sounds great, I'll sign on the dotted line! I get how much PTO? Raises? Wow this just keeps getting better and better!

Id it's too good to be true, it probably is!

Requesting PTO unless you happen to be a property manager, GM or your last name was McMenamin, good luck. Raises, your manager likely "didn't see that email", or oh you just happen to have a performance issue around that time (remember that, you probably didn't even do it to begin with).

I left this company because of the lack of fair treatment of employees across the board, biased decisions, clique like managers and unethical treatment of employees.

If this sounds like something you want to be a part of, have fun! Make sure to use that 50% off to-go wine discount before the Kool-Aid runs out (or someone else decides they want yours)
Pros
Good benefits, good wine, beer and spirits, nice environment
Cons
Management, training, everything else
comfortable environment
Line cook/prep cook (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJune 21, 2016
Busy fast paced atmosphere most of the time understaffed. Upper management is more concerned with meeting labor goals than customer satisfaction. Overall i enjoyed my time with the company.
Pros
Good hours good food
Cons
under staffed
It was very cozy it was laid back dim lights very nice servers it was a hotel/ spa/ restaurant
Hostess, Food Runner, Server (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day was fast paced but it was a constant routine very loud bands played it was very fun, when it was slow only served regulars but in a small town thats usually how it was
I learned more with customer complaints, became a great hostess, gained great friendships
My manager was very unorganzied, very hurtful, acted immature and reason why I left mcmenamins
They were so supportive during bad times they were loving and great people I miss them
Was dealing with manager and how she treated me
Was coming to work on sunday mornings and seeing all my coworkers waitng for me to get there is a blended caramel coffee for me and how happy I was to see pretty much my second family!
Pros
However many hours you worked got half off of any food
Cons
Unfair Rude Manager
Productive fun place to be
Housekeeper/ Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 20, 2015
It was great place to work but the atmosphere sometimes was just terrible. The hardest part of the job was having to work at really fast pace because the guest decided to checkout late.
Pros
Free Lunches
Fun place to work, good company
Sales Reprehensive (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 8, 2015
Good Company to work for, creative environment. A lot of info and training about the company. Opportunity to work at other properties in Oregon and Washington.
Great Summer Job
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 26, 2015
Greet guests, take orders, bring drinks, serve food and handle money. Busy place in the summer. Good for temp job. Staff is fun to work with and management is honestly amazing
Mid to high volume workplace with good benefits
Line Cook & General Assistance (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 9, 2015
I had a lot to take on, any given day, with attempting to get as much prep work done before the lunch rush came. Being the only one in the kitchen, there was usually no down time until my backup arrived around 3 or 4pm. My coworkers were amiable, if not always the hardest working. My managers were great, although they seemed to be under pressure from higher-ups, and the corporate office seemed to be out of touch with the actual workers. The hardest part of the job was having to constantly do work outside of my normal duties. The best part was working with good food and drinks in an interesting atmosphere.
Fun, laid back environment with room to grow.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 23, 2014
There are so many people at McMenamins that have been with the company for 10, 15 and even 20 years. This is rare in the hospitality industry but at McMenamins they take care of their employees with perks, benefits, and flexability. There is lots of room to grow into the Assistant Manager role and plenty of opportunity to transfer throughout Oregon and Washington but it gets very competitive at the HQ level and Pub Manager, General Manager, District Manager levels because there are so many long-term employees vying for those positions.
Pros
Concert/Hotel perks. Well known company
Cons
Plenty of competition for upper management and HQ positions.
Busy Busy Busy
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland , ORSeptember 25, 2014
This job opened the door for my cooking career. The staff took a chance and hired me with no experience and I needed up a Kitchen manager. Great company to work for.
Pros
Great advancements
productive and hard workers
employee (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORSeptember 22, 2014
great company and great employees to work with. everyone was very hard working and always willing to put out an extra helping hand.
horrible company
chef (Former Employee) –  portlandJuly 26, 2014
Terrible management, don't apply here underpaid and over worked, owner is crazy stay away!
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
everything else
Busy mediocre pub with little to no support.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Assistant ManagerMay 27, 2014
The support system is minimal and uncaring. Bad reputation fully earned and can't find good help because they don't take care of the help. Surprised I made it 6 years. So much for loyalty and hard work.
Fun atmosphere great place to work
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMay 6, 2014
Very busy always lots of work to do you can advance in company pretty quick through hardwork
Enjoyed working there
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJanuary 30, 2014
Unfortunately I had to quit since I was going to Nv to take care of my Aunt for a month.
Great staff, extremely busy at times.
Server (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WASeptember 24, 2013
Typical day of work includes interacting with customers in a fun and enjoyable way. Helping the customer receive what they ask for in a timely manner and fixing any problem that might arise. I have learned how to deal with a wide range of customers both in age and in personality. I am good at problem-solving and resolving issues quickly and efficiently. This job has taught me to be effective multi-tasker but also how to delegate work when I am in need of help.

The hardest part of the job is going from having a single table one minute, to having 8 sat all at the same time. It can be difficult to give each party the attention they need and require. Another difficult part about the job was the fact that the business doubles or triples when the summer time comes around. This particular restaurant has a patio that more than doubles the capacity of people it can hold and serve.

The most enjoyable part of the job has to be the people I work with. Everyone not only gets along, but are more than capable of helping each other when asked. The life/work balance was also a nice perk.
Pros
Paid lunches. Discount merchandise.
Cons
12 hour days. Short or no breaks.
Fun atmosphere
Host (Current Employee) –  troutdale, oregonSeptember 5, 2013
I've really enjoyed working for this company although it isn't my career.
Pros
nice employees, high volume
Cons
pay
Overworked and underpaid
Sever/Cook (Former Employee) –  SherwoodAugust 20, 2013
The worst restaurant I've worked at.(15-20 in 3 states). They will work you like a dog and pay with kibble. Management at my location were kids fresh out of school with little or no work experience. I could go on for days. . .
Pros
Mark was the only good thing at this location.
Cons
No hours, 12+ tables per server, filthy kitchen, favoritism.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McMenamins. Our community is ready to answer.