McMenamins Employee Reviews

Busy mediocre pub with little to no support.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Assistant ManagerMay 27, 2014
The support system is minimal and uncaring. Bad reputation fully earned and can't find good help because they don't take care of the help. Surprised I made it 6 years. So much for loyalty and hard work.
Fun atmosphere great place to work
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMay 6, 2014
Very busy always lots of work to do you can advance in company pretty quick through hardwork
Enjoyed working there
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJanuary 30, 2014
Unfortunately I had to quit since I was going to Nv to take care of my Aunt for a month.
Great staff, extremely busy at times.
Server (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WASeptember 24, 2013
Typical day of work includes interacting with customers in a fun and enjoyable way. Helping the customer receive what they ask for in a timely manner and fixing any problem that might arise. I have learned how to deal with a wide range of customers both in age and in personality. I am good at problem-solving and resolving issues quickly and efficiently. This job has taught me to be effective multi-tasker but also how to delegate work when I am in need of help.

The hardest part of the job is going from having a single table one minute, to having 8 sat all at the same time. It can be difficult to give each party the attention they need and require. Another difficult part about the job was the fact that the business doubles or triples when the summer time comes around. This particular restaurant has a patio that more than doubles the capacity of people it can hold and serve.

The most enjoyable part of the job has to be the people I work with. Everyone not only gets along, but are more than capable of helping each other when asked. The life/work balance was also a nice perk.
Pros
Paid lunches. Discount merchandise.
Cons
12 hour days. Short or no breaks.
Fun atmosphere
Host (Current Employee) –  troutdale, oregonSeptember 5, 2013
I've really enjoyed working for this company although it isn't my career.
Pros
nice employees, high volume
Cons
pay
Overworked and underpaid
Sever/Cook (Former Employee) –  SherwoodAugust 20, 2013
The worst restaurant I've worked at.(15-20 in 3 states). They will work you like a dog and pay with kibble. Management at my location were kids fresh out of school with little or no work experience. I could go on for days. . .
Pros
Mark was the only good thing at this location.
Cons
No hours, 12+ tables per server, filthy kitchen, favoritism.
Productive and Fun Office
Sales Administrator (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORAugust 1, 2013
I love working in the sales office at the Grand Lodge. I learned quite a bit about the hotel event sales side that I had been trying to delve into for years. My coworkers were excellent to work with and they were very helpful when I was first starting. A typical day at work I would be answering phones and taking event reservations as well as responding to email inquiries of booked events or requests for information on our event spaces. The hardest part of the job was not being able to be promoted even though we were short staffed after one of my managers went to a different property and I had enough experience to be able to progress.
Pros
Free lunches and great coworkers throughout each department
Cons
Advancement into different positions were nearly impossible even though I was experienced enough
Staff is wonderful, food is great.
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORJune 4, 2013
The most enjoyable part of my job were the people I worked with, management was wonderful. I hated the location but you forget about that once you get inside. Cozy, comfortable vibes throughout the pub.
Pros
Management, free edge field stays, awesome atmosphere.
Cons
Unexpected long shifts (BUT that comes with the job title) and rude customers.
Low standards of customer service & employees
Office (Former Employee) –  PortlandApril 18, 2013
Sloppy/unorganized management. Terrible training of staff. Low/ infrequent raises. Low standards of customer service. Hard working is NOT in most employees vocabulary. Corporate structure/ management needs massive improvement
Great guests/customers and co-workers
Housekeeping, front desk, maintenance (Current Employee) –  Portland, OrMarch 11, 2013
Management needs a serious adjustment. Everyone who comes through our front doors is a blast to work with and the guests are fabulous!! Low tips however and I have yet to get a review or a raise...
Pros
paid breaks and lunch with food credit, employee rates for gift shop, hotel stays and concerts are awesome.
Cons
management is a complete mess, i do not recommend applying here.
A great little hotel in the sleepy town of Gearhart Oregon
Hotel, Sales & Events manager (Current Employee) –  Gearhart, ORFebruary 18, 2013
Overall it is a very nice place to work with wonderful co-workers and good managers. I was able to learn the Sales side of Catering and Hotel Management while working there, as well and refresh my front of house skills. There is a large and diverse group of customers and it was fun getting to know them. I would have to say working with stressed brides/mothers of the bride on the wedding days is usually my hardest and most enjoyable job I do.

A typical day at work this time of year is arriving at 5:45am to unlock the doors and turn off the alarm. I roll the day for the Pub and Hotel then start on the reports doing the paperwork for the whole property and overseeing the floor opener acting as MOD from when we open at 7am until the first assistant manager come on at 10am; while covering the front desk. Around 9am the front desk person comes on and I finish up email reports to the company and the various GMs that I have. When the Front of House manger comes on at 10am I go to my office and go through my email responding to any possible sales inquiries, meeting with brides or business groups, help on the floor if they get busier than expected, do interviews, orientations, oversee housekeeping and any catering that may be going on and generally deal with the hundreds of other details that can and do crop up. In addition I am the go to trouble shooter for everything from orally extruded bodily fluids to broken locks to computer problems to keg problems. I double check with the afternoon management team when they arrive at 3pm and usually leave about 4pm.
Pros
vacation, health care, profit sharing, bonuses
Cons
with the track i took i can't rise above my current position without stepping back several levels
Always a great atmosphere.
Trainer/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, OregonFebruary 5, 2013
My coworkers have always been the best part of the job. Shifts range from just a few hours to up to twelve. At least the beer is good.
McMenamins: A great company to work for
Hotel Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORJanuary 13, 2013
I worked at Edgefield, the largest McMenamins property, and had no complaints about it. The company is great to work for and also Edgefield as a property is amazing. Worked there for over a year, co workers are definitely the best part. Management (Hotel) is the best management I've experienced. Always something new while working the hotel part. Very fun place to work. Would definitely still be working there if they paid more and I didn't move to another state.
Pros
meal credit. amazing co workers. beer.
Cons
none really. same things at every job everywhere.
High Volume Resturaunt with an upbeat staff
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORMarch 26, 2012
I greatly enjoyed working here. The staff were fun and the work was fast paced. During the summers there are great opportunities for advancement.
Great atmosphere
Server, Host (Current Employee) –  Portland, Troutdale, CorvallisDecember 31, 2011
I've worked for several locations with McMenamins over the last few years. I have had mixed emotions about this company after my first year. They do great things for their customers, but lack in some areas with their employees. But everyone I've ever worked with are great people. If you like working with others who like to work hard then this is the place to be. Just be ready to feel like your job is on the line every night.
Pros
meal credits, easy transfers, discount on wine and kegs
Cons
management..