MD Anderson Cancer Center

MD Anderson Cancer Center Employee Reviews

United States1,814 reviews

Found 1,814 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,837 reviews

Great benefits and pay

Amazing place to work. Up to date technology and treatments. Very depending of staff not great work life balance. Weekends, after hours expected. Little chance to move up

Patients were amazing

There are pro and cons for all jobs but it seems losing so many different staff at the same time for the same reasons (including M.D.) should have been a warning sign for the HR and management - But it was too late. They lost many good, dedicated employees.

Pros

Patients, co-workers, bonuses

Cons

No breaks most days

A proud workplace/workforce, but regressive

The culture is great, except for the habit of rewarding people based on years of service versus merit, to the exclusion of rewarding newer hires who strive to succeed. The institution should evaluate people based on the quality of their work &/or innovative ideas... not just how well & for how long they fit into the tired old roles that were established decades ago.

Pros

Benefits, environment

Cons

Work/life balance difficult to achieve in some departments

It was a job

Didn't care for the management in the department I worked in. There was no advancement opportunities and hostile environment. Environment culture was odd at best.

The benefits are amazing! The pay is not that exciting, but I have an awesome leadership team that is transparent and demonstrates MD Anderson core values. Now that I work hybrid, I’m saving monies on gas and parking so that is definitely a plus.

Pros

Benefits, hybrid work

Cons

Pay

Fun place to work

Just got hired at MD Anderson Cancer Center as a PCT in Operating room great place to work love the environment, great benefits, my first hospital job plan to retire here the pay is great and fair.

Good Place To Work

The benefits and pay are good. With time management, and a solid work ethic this job could be amazing. Nothing negative except the commute, but I live pretty far.

Good place to gain some experience and network, But beware...

This is a great place for those looking to gain experience in the Healthcare industry. Depending on what department you work for, the environment can be full of "politics", making it difficult to move up and get raises, even if you're well-qualified. Management is very much protected by HR, even bad managers. Benefits are very good, however, and professional development is encouraged and supported. Ask lots of questions in your interview to get a gauge on what management is truly like.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Politics, Bad managers

great staff that are supportive- bad management

work can be sad and stressful but co workers are fabulous and so much support. management is not supportive or helpful. the pandemic has hurt the morale and culture of department and management does not want to allow work from home.

Great place for graduate students

I worked with my direct supervisor only, so I was unaware of most office politics. The culture started changing towards the end though. After my supervisor left I had no direction and was ultimately let go because they had no work for me.

Bad culture

Extremely overworked. Always short handed and they kept adding more and more to our plate without hiring more employees. I did enjoy working with all of the doctors and nurses but that was mostly it. However most of them hated their jobs and mangement, terrible culture. Management was horrible and nobody understood what we did and there was such a high turnover I had a new manager every 6 months.

Excellent place to work

Love the institution and have been a proud employee going on 9 years. Can't beat the benefits and job security as well as being fortunate to work for the best cancer hospital in the world

Pros

Benefits, job security, room for growth

Cons

Pay lags behind private sector

Employees are replaceable - Loyalty and dedication don't matter

Workplace culture is every employee is dispensable. Management does not care about its employees. Knowledge is not respected; must prove yourself as knowledgeable. No respect.

Burned out and exhausted in the Social Work department

I go to work feeling overwhelmed, stressed, and burned out daily. During the pandemic, we were expected to work in person although our role can easily be done remotely. During that time, we were told by management that we should be in person and so I felt guilty about working remotely even when it was allowed. We now get one remote day a week. I felt uncared about by management during the pandemic - my life and my health didn't seem to matter to them. I unfortunately still feel very uncared for. We get asked for our feedback constantly but nothing is done with it. When I have provided constructive feedback, I was told that it was better not to say anything. I felt punished for speaking up. It feels like a toxic environment and I am consistently told by my supervisor that I won't find any place better and there is no other hospital system like MDA. That used to be true but it no longer is. One of the big draws that made me want to start here was the fact that social workers were encouraged to do counseling rather than the classic case management model that most hospitals use. However, we are starting to do case management this month so things are changing. Talking to patients with cancer is hard enough without feeling like management is trying to manipulate and gaslight you into feeling better about the stressful work environment. I go to work and cry in my office alone and I don't feel supported by my supervisor. I do have supportive coworkers but they have shared that they are also burned out - it is hard to want to burden them with my feelings when they also are going -

Pros

Some CEU opportunities (when there is time to attend), supportive coworkers

Cons

Toxic culture, uncaring management, lack of transparency, employees pitted against one another, unrealistic expectations

Monitor tech

Great place to work. It is a cancer hospital, with great benefits and good working environment.The company pays well, and gives its employees state benefits.

Exceptional Energy and Challenging

I most enjoy the energy, collaboration, and devotion to high quality patient care. Every day I am reminded how important the work is for patients in making cancer history.

Pros

Excellent support from physicians and learning environment.

Cons

Time off is difficult to come by. Manager only allows 2 off at one time.

Great benefits

I've been am employee since 2019 and they have great benefits and I love the job security. There's so much room for growth and so many programs offered by the institution to grow your skill set.

Great place to work.

Great place to work. Opportunity to grow. Good benefits and work environment. Management and team always willing to help and train to increase knowledge of job position and performance.

A good place to start

I started at MD Anderson as a new grad and worked there for about 6 years. I learned a lot there, there are many good things about the institution however I feel like things have gone downhill the last 3 years. The diversity is good however there is favoritism. The leadership in the last years care more about their benchmark numbers rather than supporting their staff. CNLs never help nurses no matter how understaffed they are. There are many other hospitals offering better pay and retention bonuses to keep their staff happy and MD Anderson isn't one of them.

great benefits

MD Anderson is a great place to work, and there are multiple opportunities and avenues for growth and career changes. The high point is the Tuition reimbursement!

Advancement is based on who you know not how well you do your job.

Compensation and advancement are based on who you know not what you do or how well you do it. It also does not help if you are not the same color or culture as the leaders. Communications department is toxic and not healthy for anyone looking for a place that nurtures creativity or the mission to end cancer. If you are not "nice," you won't get far. A lot of people and leaders there are nice but they are not kind. Diversity should include personalities and background, not just color of skin or ethnicity.

Pros

Working from home.

Cons

Working for people who don't understand the work you do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Powered byComparably