MDA Employee Reviews

MDA was a fun place to work especially the fundraisers
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Tucker, GAOctober 9, 2018
This was a part time position I was on the phone from the time I walked in the door. We had a script and it was always fun when you got a fun reaction from the call.
The hardest part of the job when you got rejections from the caller. The most enjoyable part of the job was the lock-up events those were a lot of fun.
Pros
Getting to know co-workers and helping each other when they were struggling with their script.
Cons
Is getting rejections from the callers.
Fundraising Atmosphere, very stressful
Administrative Assistant/Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIOctober 3, 2018
Very stressful, basically begging people to donate money to an organization, that didn't always have the best interest of it's clients in mind. Co-workers that didn't pay attention in meetings, and more interested in playing and goofing around.
Pros
Summer hours on Fridays
Cons
Fundraising staff constantly on their personal phones and not working
poor culture
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Northeast USSeptember 8, 2018
Has changed dramatically in last year. Too bad the don't care about families. There is lack of staff and leadership currently. Look at the charity navigator for ratings.
Pros
families
Cons
culture and staff
Excellent espit de corps
VOLUNTEER RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 31, 2018
The Wichita office of the Muscular Dystrophy Association has merged with the Kansas City Office, thereby no longer needing the office location in Tallgrass Executive Park. The Wichita CEO currently works out of her home now as Development Specialist. The organization has continued to grow and change since its founding, and the research that it supports has most recently made great strides in the advancement toward a cure, and assists in improving the lives of families and individuals affected by the diverse strains of muscular dystrophy.
Pros
Forward thinking
Cons
Challenging non-profit
Fun place to work. We always did fundraisers for the kids and others with muscular dystrophy
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAAugust 22, 2018
If you like to help people this is a great place to work. Raising money to help the children with muscular dystrophy go to camp was a highlight of working there.
Pros
Working with the kids to get them to go to camp
Cons
Not enough hours in the day to get the job done.
Health Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York StateAugust 21, 2018
Offices keep getting closed. Management levels keep getting eliminated. Same amount of work, same amount of goal with less staff. This is unsustainable.
Pros
Lots of PTO
Cons
No time to use PTO
Great Mission, good leadership
Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 20, 2018
Most of the work related to MDA were temporary positions. They pull people in to recruit for campaigns. I enjoyed being a part of something like this, helping raise money for medical research. The campaigns were fun, and I was able to pull in many donors/participants each day.
Pros
helping people, fun ideas
Cons
temporary, scripted calls with little room to change
MDA mission is great
Field (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 20, 2018
However some co-workers or former employees are not so great. I love working for MDA however the negative and entitled behavior from some is really difficult to look beyond, the new CEO brought back 403b match but super negative people will still say oh MDA is not financially stable and my personal favorite is the people who give the negative reviews and than wonder why MDA cant hire people to help them. There is no way for some people to be happy and just come to work and have fun and let everyone have a good time, there just isnt a day that someone doesnt makes it difficult to ignore them. Also those who say there isnt raises arent good employees, i have received a rase yearly and those who dont perform to expectations dont...
Pros
Mission, families we serve, pto, holiday time off is amazing at christmas, !
Cons
Negative co workers who should just leave
Go to jail for charity
Cold Caller MDA (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 16, 2018
Cold calling nightmare. Nothing is worse than calling a consumer just some random consumer and asking if they would like to go to jail for charity. I don't know what person came up with that horrible pick-up line but I got yelled at more for people saying I'm not going to jail because I didn't do anything wrong versus people actually listening to anything else
Serving Others
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 14, 2018
MDA was a wonderful company to work for. Worked with a great group of people that cared about the cause, which made it more enjoyable each and everyday to go to work.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers
Cons
None that I can think of
Fluctuating
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2018
Great mission but hard to stay motivated with pressure put on team members. Very hard to be a cookie cutter area when regions are different. Less support locally to families and more on national level of research. Good but changed.
Worked for a good cause
Clerk/Typist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2018
I learned a lot in the personnel department. It was quick-paced which made the day go by fast. I had the pleasure of meeting a lot of interesting people.
Pros
Good work environment
Good mission
Fundraising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYJuly 25, 2018
MDA has a good cause and good mission. Most funds are allocated to the mission. However, there is too much time and work expected of the employees, and jobs keep getting cut.
productive and fun
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJuly 22, 2018
a typical workday is to make outbound calls. I learned that i can create a great friend over thetelephone. manaagemenr is always availale. the workplace isclean and organized. the hardest part of this job is when is job ended. The most enjoyable part of this job was going to work every singleday
Pros
1 hour lunch and no weekends
Cons
when the job ends
Donor Services Coordinator (2003 - 2009) (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 19, 2018
Was a great place to work, with great benefits and this company really seemed to take care of their employees.

Other employees were knowledgeable about the job they held.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Rather a long drive from where I live
Stimulating and Challenging Career Change
Area Director (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 13, 2018
As a full-time middle school teacher, I started with the MDA as a summer temporary staff making recruitment calls to the general public encouraging them to raise funds for the MDA. My personal, relaxed, customer service skills made success stimulating and challenging. Within a month, I was offered the Program Coordinator position. I resigned my teaching career and progressed with MDA. Within two years, I was the Area Director. Shortly after, a family emergency made it necessary to resign to care for a family member. My customer service and public relations skills were strongly developed during my employment with MDA.
Pros
Public Relations
Cons
constant overnight travel
Wonderful families
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  anonymousJuly 11, 2018
Lots of changes trying to make it a better organization for the families that are served. Great sponsors and local events to be a part of. Summer camp is wonderful.
Non-Profit
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 11, 2018
If you want advancement, non-profit is not the way to go. The type of work you do is great but not monetarily acceptable. Very limited resources and definitely no work-life balance.
It used to be wonderful
Contracts Manager - Legal Department (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 10, 2018
It formerly was a mission focused organization that did it's best to take care of our families. Unfortunately, the new leadership does not believe this to be important. I will always be grateful for the years spent with my MDA family and I only wish the organization the best. My heart breaks for our families.
Pros
Working with our families
Cons
New leadership
A workplace with nowhere to go
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 9, 2018
MDA has a terrible track record with promotions and advancement. For most positions at MDA, there is no logical next step and no way of getting a raise, even if you score 5 out of 5 on your annual review. When inquiring about possible performance raises, there is always some reason why they cant give you one- but none of the reasons are directly related to your job performance. I have not had a raise in 5 years because the "fundraisers" in our office have not hit their budgets- despite me supporting them in every way possible. If you want your performance raises to be tied to someone else's ability to hit their goals, then this is the company for you. Oh, and they don't give cost of living raises either so be prepared for that.
Pros
lots of paid time off
Cons
no raises- EVER

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MDA. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight