MDA Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Wonderful families
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  anonymousJuly 11, 2018
Lots of changes trying to make it a better organization for the families that are served. Great sponsors and local events to be a part of. Summer camp is wonderful.
Non-Profit
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 11, 2018
If you want advancement, non-profit is not the way to go. The type of work you do is great but not monetarily acceptable. Very limited resources and definitely no work-life balance.
It used to be wonderful
Contracts Manager - Legal Department (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 10, 2018
It formerly was a mission focused organization that did it's best to take care of our families. Unfortunately, the new leadership does not believe this to be important. I will always be grateful for the years spent with my MDA family and I only wish the organization the best. My heart breaks for our families.
Pros
Working with our families
Cons
New leadership
A workplace with nowhere to go
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 9, 2018
MDA has a terrible track record with promotions and advancement. For most positions at MDA, there is no logical next step and no way of getting a raise, even if you score 5 out of 5 on your annual review. When inquiring about possible performance raises, there is always some reason why they cant give you one- but none of the reasons are directly related to your job performance. I have not had a raise in 5 years because the "fundraisers" in our office have not hit their budgets- despite me supporting them in every way possible. If you want your performance raises to be tied to someone else's ability to hit their goals, then this is the company for you. Oh, and they don't give cost of living raises either so be prepared for that.
Pros
lots of paid time off
Cons
no raises- EVER
NIce company, great managers for a non profit organization.
Data Entry Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2018
Mostly data entry, filing, answering phone calls from patients. Entering payroll, attending various fund raisers and volunteering at various charity events.
n/a
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 15, 2018
I enjoyed working there it allow me to build my customer service skills and sales skills. The job had great benefits and it was very exciting to do things for kids and families
Boring
FUNDRAISING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 10, 2018
No training. Very scriptive. Verbatim. Not open to new ideas. Management is only concerned with getting the money however does not care to personalize with clients.
Pros
Easy Money
Cons
Boring
An Organization looking for cures to muscular dystrophies
Charity Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 10, 2018
MDA attracts people who have a vested interest in investing in the organization, because it is looking to eradicate muscular diseases, a deeply personal issue for many of its members. Fundraising is its main purpose and its employees and volunteers work towards that end, while often being great people.
Productive and fun place to work.
FUNDRAISING COORDINATOR & HEALTHCARE SERV COORD (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 8, 2018
Everyday was full of surprises and workflow could and would change at the drop of a dime. High turn over rate. Helped a lot of people in need on a daily basis.
Poorly Managed and Unstable
Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  FloridaApril 25, 2018
They say they are all about the mission and the families, but my experience was all about the money, cold calling and unqualified management. They pick and "groom" a few select families that are marketable and will sing the companies praises-and never speak to the other 98%.
just my opinion
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 24, 2018
Fun work place, laid back and easy going. Great management team. everyone was always positive and upbeat. Very fun, but also made sure the work got done.
Pros
great people
Cons
can't think of any
Older coworkers
Volunteer Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 19, 2018
Be prepared to cold call. You are provided with a silly script and constantly are hung up on. Great cause, but unfortunately there wasn't enough freedom to do your job well and be personable.
Worked for a good cause
RECRUITMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAApril 19, 2018
Would not recommend working there as a recruitment coordinator. The job was stressful and management was not supportive. The goals were very unrealistic and very hard to achieve.
Pros
Cons
See above
Great Company.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXApril 14, 2018
I would sign in and I would start making phone calls to get participants for what we called Lock-Up fundraising events and I would also have to cancel their appointments. I would do a lot of data entry into their system. I loved working for my boss. There wasn't a day that she didn't come to work in a good mood.
Pros
Learned a lot about how to put a fundraising event together.
Cons
The job was only temporary.
Lots of Begging for Money
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 10, 2018
Major changes in the company constantly. Very overworked and underpaid. The Clients are the best and you get to work closely with them on the fundraising side.
Pros
clients and events
Cons
High expectaions low rewards
National agency with a local reach
Special Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 28, 2018
This job had a lot of components. From setting up events, one every month to be exact, working on the annual Labor Day telethon, creating relationships in the community and raising money. Lots of "Lock Ups" done at the time.
Pros
Diverse. Good Cause.
Cons
Poor management, inflated expectations in fundraising.
Good People
Clinical Care Services Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAMarch 26, 2018
Grateful for the opportunity to serve MDA and work with fantastic staff, clients, vendors, sponsors, therapists, researchers and physicians. I have made many cherished memories with the people and will hold them dear in my heart.
Great Company - Micromanage
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 21, 2018
I learned a lot of great organization and operational techniques - what to do and what not to do. Fundraising was fun but very political culture and not my favorite job.
Not a place for long term employment
Administrative Assistant to District Director (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 19, 2018
District Director was a micro-micro-manager and constantly looking over your shoulder. Very uncomfortable and stressful place to work. Had to get out of there.
Keep on looking
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 8, 2018
MDA was once a great place to work, but it has changed drastically. The people you meet and families you work with are great. Their mission is admirable. Many progressions have been made in that regard and it is joyful to be able to offer that to the families. Sending kids to summer camp is also a wonderful program they offer. However, the work-life balance can be grueling at times. Long hours with evening and weekend events tend to significantly diminish that favorable salary. Core programs are made to be "across the board", yet markets are NOT all suited to the same types of programs, making it extremely difficult to achieve your budget... a budget which is already inflated and unattainable due to pressure to "fudge". They offer great benefits, but don't expect a pay increase. They start you out at a good salary, but that may be all you end up making! Time off seems to replace pay. If true, realistic goals were set, the work environment would be much more tolerable and the company would not consistently miss their goals.
Benefits
Cons
Unrealistic goals; no pay increases; pressure, pressure, pressure