Mears Group Employee Reviews

very short term contract
Cad Designer (Former Employee) –  Rosebush, MIFebruary 11, 2019
My work there was creating as many road work drawings as possible in the shortest amount of time.

I was given a laptop and told I could work as many hours as possible.

I worked about 12 hours 5 days a week.

Since I was on a very short term contract for one specific task, evaluating the office and its people would be less than accurate.

I did enjoy the people that I worked with, and found the work to be interesting for the time I was there. The managers and others in the office were helpful, friendly, and cooperative when I interacted with them.

I enjoyed my work there
Pros
good people and work to do.
Cons
short term contract
Dont go near them if you are a joiner s
Joiner (Former Employee) –  JoinerJanuary 12, 2019
Coatbridge side, the unions in mears are full of cronyism, nepotism don't join you are waisting your money this is true bad payer it's simple and easy as that. Why do you think they go through so many joiners
Pros
Cons
Low wages and again fyll of cronyism and nepotism you fund out if you if you decide to work fir them
Great Experience
IHI 80VX/JD120G Excavator Operator (Current Employee) –  Rosebush, MIJanuary 4, 2019
Mears is a huge company with work all over the place. They have competitive wages for the type of work they do. they ave great foreman and the labors have great attitudes towards their work because they are taken care of and valued. Mears covers expenses as far as hotels and fuel. they offer company trucks and fuel cards to operators.
CAMERA TECH FOREMAN (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 6, 2018
A great place to work. People are amazing. But having to travel and getting settled into one area and having to relocate again. That kind of stress is hard on yourself and family.
Pros
Great pay and benifits
Cons
Having to travel
Definitely favoritism, basic equipment, poor supervision
Driver , Operator (Former Employee) –  Merrimack, NHNovember 22, 2018
Worked at Mears for 3 seasons. Definitely clicks management favoritism. They put you in situations to fail. Then management blames foreman for their poor hiring and training practices. Management is plain and simple poor from top to bottom. They are lucky to keep some of their help
Pros
It’s a check
Cons
It’s a check
Productive and fun
Field Technician/Drafter (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 9, 2018
Productive and fun
Management wasn't good at all
I learned a lot from working there because I am learner and opened minded so I had to do whatever I was told to do.
need room for more advancement for the years of experience
Crew Foreman and Operator (Current Employee) –  Rockledge, FLJuly 5, 2018
People with years of experience under their belt should have the room for advancement. Older , experience workers who have years of experience seem to get looked over and I feel there is alot of favotism
Pros
I love the job and career that I have chosen
Cons
More advancement
Fun Work place
Construction (Former Employee) –  Oceana County, MIMay 25, 2018
Only done work experience so no salary, very welcoming team that made me feel comfortable in the work place. Guaranteed work with very well scheduled days, would highly recommend.
Pros
Enjoyable
Cons
Varied customers
company ok
Operator (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, MAMarch 7, 2018
bridgewater office management slackes off dont take care of issues and favors certain people and the lie tell u one thing and do another.the whole plaxe is a bunch of back stabbers and drama
Pros
get paid
Cons
they lie
Good company to use as a building block
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, ILMarch 6, 2018
Lots of opportunity to grow and learn. Great company to uses as a stepping stone as you advance in your career, you will get tons of experience! You'll be on your own to do many tasks outside the defined "job description."
Productive and travel
Operator (Former Employee) –  Rosebush, MIJanuary 20, 2018
Lots of travel with no home time, but great money and compensation. I worked with a great bunch of guys and had no complaints with them. Management in construction seems ok as well
Pros
Money
Cons
Travel
Beneficial for my future carrer
Safety / Quality Control Intern (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 21, 2017
Having the opportunity to Intern with Mears Group, I feel was a one in a lifetime opportunity. Coming in I had no experience in the pipeline industry. This quickly changed by being surrounded with people that offered their time and knowledge, helping me not only understand my role as a quality turned safety intern but also put me in positions to learn as much as I could about the industry.
Management is beyond horrible.
Technition (Former Employee) –  Rosebush, MINovember 13, 2017
Nepotism runs rampant. The upper management does not care about their employees because in the Rosebush area the labor pool is large and they know they will get another guy for cheap.

Absolutely no work life balance. I would work 14 weeks out of state working 6 or 7 days a week and when it was time to come home you’d get 8 days off but they count two of those days as travel days.

No Forman oversite in the field. You might have a different Forman for each job you work. The pay isn’t great. Don’t quite a job for this place. I worked there for three years and wouldn’t do it again.

Keep in mind i wasn’t fired, I left as soon as I could find something else in my pay range.
Pros
It’s a job if you need one.
Cons
upper management, below market wages, expensive health care
nice place to work
Mechanic/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Rosebush, MIOctober 25, 2017
enjoyed the travel while working for Mears . everyone knew what was expected 0f them and everyone did there job. was a chance to work on many different types of equipment
Good place to get into the corrosion industry
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  Rosebush, MIOctober 10, 2017
I have learned a lot from this company. They have been good to me. The travel is the hardest part. Travel for 5-6 weeks or more sometimes and home for a week in between.
Pros
Work long hours, Pay
Cons
Travel
Liberating and fast pace
Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 20, 2017
Great team to work with but it has its bemanding days..must be willing travel and deal with all type of characters. Great outlook on a large verity of work and all kinds of challenges
Pros
Outstanding group and support from upper management
Cons
Away from home
Not for the faint hearted
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  NotwichSeptember 18, 2017
Social care is known to be a difficult sector to work in because of the financial pressures. Mears Care was improving as an employer but office staff need to be hardy.
Pros
Branch Manager has a flexible approach.
Cons
Opportunities for promotion poor.
It's alright
Senior DE Technician (Current Employee) –  EverywhereJuly 17, 2017
Company is quite average at best in the industry. Do not expect anything significant out of them. You are not compensated hardly at all if you take out insurance and 401k. You are literally an ant, nothing more.
Long Hours Exposed to Weather no breaks or lunch
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Rosebush, MIMay 20, 2017
Working for MEARs would be ideal for people who dont want to be at home and would much rather prefer to stay away and wouldn't want to do much more than go back to the hotel and drink.

The work itself is pretty good, but you have no designated time to eat, you have to do it when you can which is never many days.

The wages themselves aren't all that high, they aren't low either in general.You really make the money when you work those long 12 hour days 6 days a week.

It's not a bad place to work, you just have to be a certain kind of person.
Pros
CAN make pretty good money
Cons
exceptional long hour, completely exposed to the elements, no breaks, never home
Fast Paced Rat Race
Laborer/Operator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 21, 2017
A typical day at work is giving 110% and being told it's not enough. The hardest part of the job is dealing with management, other than that the job can be pretty simple. Depending on the crew you are on for the day you can learn a lot, some foreman will go out of their way to help you grow in the company, others will just simply want you to do what they say and only what they say. Upper management preaches family and unity, however are quick to throw a crew to the wolves if you are doing exactly what they want you to do and find out you're not supposed to be working in that area.
Pros
Decent pay and Overtime if it doesn't rain
Cons
Upper Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mears Group. Our community is ready to answer.