Mecklenburg County Employee Reviews

Mecklenburg county is currently in a difficult state where their workers feel devalued.
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 30, 2018
As an investigator, I receive approximately 2 cases per day, where I have to make efforts in initiating the case and assess the home for safety. During the week, I have to conduct follow up safety visits and case activities. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting and working with my clients. It brings such joy to know that I am assisting families for the betterment of their lives and mental state.
Unfortunately, Mecklenburg County is currently in a crisis state where they are extremely short staffed and Social Workers are over worked. This causes a high level of stress and diminished work-life balance.
Benefits
Cons
No work-life balance
Stressful Environment & Systems were unreliable
Human Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 20, 2018
I worked for DSS for over 6.5 years. After 5 years I was considered to be vested and applied numerous times to higher paying positions but never made the interview. I was often complimented on my hard work and even separated from m y team to assist in other projects, but when it came time for raises, all of my hard work fell to the waist side in my opinion because a 3% raise is not what a hard worker expects after over 6.5 yrs with the company. Culture at DSS was very stressful. People there do not take their work seriously and wait until deadline to do their work and be "busy". I always answered my phone calls and returned calls timely. I always made sure cases were processed accordingly and my clients always had great things to say about my work ethic, but it did not matter- no raise was given over 3%. I worked very hard. My work showed it. My clients expressed it. Systems don't work- they're very slow and management doesn't know more than the rest of us about how things were supposed to work. Not an enjoyable job after a few years.
Low Moral & High Turn Over
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  DSSJune 25, 2018
Social Workers have 25 plus caseload. Supervisor don’t assist with the workload, they are cut throat, and the managers over them are horrible. They expect you work miracles, weekends, and late nights without any compensation. DSS should drop the slogan Good to Great it’s not a great! People develop high blood pressure, horrible eating habits, become moody, poor health, and they don’t not care! I am not sure if anything can be done, unless they change people in management. Mecklenburg County isn’t safe because Social Workers are over worked and under paid.
Pros
401K, County Car
Cons
Pay, Low Moral, Horrible Management, High Caseload, High Turn Over
School Health Registered Nurse
School Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 5, 2018
Enjoyed the work and the company is really working hard to please the employees. There are a lot of different requirements from day to day but overall the work itself is pretty easy. Management was approachable and coworkers were amazing to work with. I would have stayed longer.
Pros
County has great benefits. 10 month employee, get the summers off.
Cons
Some managers can be too much of micromanagers. Wish pay had been more.
Stable job but no room to grow
Environmental Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 12, 2018
Working for the County is great to have for job stability. However, as the years have progressed benefits are not as competitive as they used to be and there has been no increase in job salary with not much room for upward growth and promotion. Without staying competitive in the benefits category there is not much incentive for working hard and trying to advance. The county will need to find a way to recruit and keep the new generation of work force coming up if they wish to be successful.
Pretty good place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 14, 2018
Mecklenburg was a very professional place to work. They gave raises and the moral in the work place was very high. Management was very organized and I was treated fairly.
Pros
Cafeteria on site, they give raises
Cons
The amount of clients and work is tremendous
Not a place to work long term
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2018
You cannot survive off of what the county intends on paying you. You get one raise per year and some people are actually getting .25 cent raises. There’s nothing beneficial about working for them besides the dental plan, even their health plan sucks. My whole department, besides one elderly woman, is trying to find a different job to move to just to afford food and toilet paper.
Pros
Dental
Cons
The whole shabang
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 15, 2018
Mecklenburg County under new leadership has been a pleasure to work for. However, work life balance is not considered with management for employee who work in the field.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No work life balance.
Department of Community Resource Center
Administrative /Navigator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 14, 2018
If you are looking for employment with the County in the new Department of Community Resource Center stay away! The queuing system is always crashing which makes for a disastrous, stressful day. The system isn’t stable, however if someone makes a mistake within the faulty system it’s their problem to solve. Constant computer issues! No one wants to admit that the computer applications are not compatible with the queuing system. Management is more concerned about showing off the building and system for tours, than it actually working! The clients have more than tripled, while staffing remains the same, so everyone is overworked. New Management micromanages, however they are clueless about processes of each department. Management expectations are not realistic in. reference to dealing with clients and workload. Management micromanages when they want, however when you need them everyone’s MIA. People want to lead however no one wants to follow. Management and workers in other areas will lie on you and throw you under the bus every time. Management is petty and immature as most people working there. It’s like high school all over again! The building is always cold everywhere aside from the restroom! If you want your sanity and piece of mind stay away because the money, clientele, management and some coworkers aren’t worth the stress for mediocre benefits.
Pros
Fun coworkers that get you through the days
Cons
Management, backstabers, cold atmosphere, stress
Very flexible but low pay
LPN (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 8, 2018
I love the flexibility of my job in school health. It offers life/work balance, but the pay is terribly low. As much money as the county makes you would think they would pay their front line employees more. People in upper management make hundreds of thousands while we can barely survive.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Compensation
Workplace
Senior Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 22, 2018
Must be flexible and willing to accept change. Benefits are great. Workplace environment is fast-paced at times. Every day is a new adventure, no two days are the same
Typical Government job.
Assistant Fiscal Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 14, 2018
Typical Government job. A lot of older employees with 20+ years in smaller rolls. The younger employees have to either jump departments if the can or leave the county all together. Due to a lot of older employees being content with their roles. Not wanting to advance. Benefits are Government benefits not really much to go into there. The pay scale is not balanced at all. For example a lower position such as an Assistant Fiscal Analyst in a department may have more duties and responsibilities than a higher position such as an Fiscal Analyst in another department but are paid less. Or there may be positions with similar duties and responsibilities but the pay will be greater for one than the other. Some positions need to be reclassified because there being given more/new duties to perform without being suitably compensated.
Pros
Decent benefits such as health, vision, dental.
Cons
The pay scale is not balanced across similar positions/job title
Work
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 29, 2018
A typical day at Meck County DSS varies. Each day is different and you will meet a lot of people in the process. The hardest part about the job is the high case loads.
Pros
Entry pay and benefits
Cons
The case loads
Fun place to work
Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 24, 2018
• Supervise the day to day activities of 55 armed security officers
• Duty scheduling of security officers
• Motor patrol of contracted sites within Mecklenburg County
• Assist payroll processing
• Meet with clients on a daily basis to ensure satisfaction
• Safety and security of Mecklenburg county buildings and personnel within contract
• Safety and security advance planning
• Completed Active Shooter program
• Supervision and planning of emergency evacuation from public buildings within contract
• Planning and scheduling training for security officers
• Creating and enacting plans to combat crime and safety hazards within contracted locations
• Drafting of proposals for future and current clients
Pros
advancement
Cons
very large
Productive place of employment
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 14, 2018
DSS has a great job culture. I learned a lot about the government system and how to assist those in need. The hardest part of the job was meeting the needs of each client.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management/Lack of communication
No Real Leaders
Manager (Former Employee) –  CharlotteAugust 6, 2018
There are no real leaders in the county. Especially within IT. Directors and above have an "every man for himself" mentality. There is favoritism in hiring, specifically, giving positions to unqualified people; allowing family members to work in the same department (father and son) with zero repercussions. Micro-managing individual staff. However people are too scared to speak up or report the issues because of fear of retaliation.
Pros
Staff and Middle Managers are great to work with
Cons
Poor leadership, no advancement, favoritism
Information about the job
Park Ranger (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 22, 2018
Day to day, the job is great. You get to travel around to different parks and make sure people are recreating in a safe and fun way. The responsibilities are easy to manage, and staying on top of everything is enjoyable, not stressful. I learned a lot about the people in the county, how to read situations, and I got trained in a myriad of different areas when I started. The workplace culture is relaxed, sometimes to a fault, but its never a high stress thing as long as you're in the right region. Hardest part about the job is knowing that you will not have weekends off as a park ranger, and thats something that is really affecting the county currently. The better part of this job is the freedom that it gives you to get your tasks done. You get to do things on your own time.
Great Benefits package
Sr. Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 11, 2018
Excellent Pension Plan, the location is great. Mecklenburg County have lots of potential if they began to hire management that will help keep the morale of their employee up, and hire because of experience and not because of who you know.
Pros
Paid Holidays
Cons
no compensation for hours worked over forty
Absolutely love this place
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 14, 2018
I absolutely LOVE my job! I work with a great group of individuals and an awesome supervisor and awesome department manager. I am valued! There isn't any drama and you are appreciated for your role there. The County is big on work life balance and that is important to me. This place is different from every employer that I have had in the past and I would not change a thing!
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Haven't found any
Would recommend, but stay out of any drama
Nurse Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 29, 2018
Worked in CAP/DA program and really enjoyed working with the client's. There are some people in the department that try to make it difficult, one person that really would bully anyone they didn't like, and management did not address it. Pretty easy to keep to yourself and just do your job and stay away from any drama. You will be visiting beneficiaries in their homes, some which may be located in areas you don't want to go. Management supports the nurses and social workers and respects their judgement and expertise.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Some drama