Mecklenburg County Employee Reviews

county
Fiscal Reporting-Fiscal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 16, 2018
Great employer. Great place to work. I was happy working there but had to move on for new opportunities and money. I would consider working for the county again.
Pros
good job
Cons
Not a place to work long term
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2018
You cannot survive off of what the county intends on paying you. You get one raise per year and some people are actually getting .25 cent raises. There’s nothing beneficial about working for them besides the dental plan, even their health plan sucks. My whole department, besides one elderly woman, is trying to find a different job to move to just to afford food and toilet paper.
Pros
Dental
Cons
The whole shabang
Low Moral & High Turn Over
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  DSSJune 25, 2018
Social Workers have 25 plus caseload. Supervisor don’t assist with the workload, they are cut throat, and the managers over them are horrible. They expect you work miracles, weekends, and late nights without any compensation. DSS should drop the slogan Good to Great it’s not a great! People develop high blood pressure, horrible eating habits, become moody, poor health, and they don’t not care! I am not sure if anything can be done, unless they change people in management. Mecklenburg County isn’t safe because Social Workers are over worked and under paid.
Pros
401K, County Car
Cons
Pay, Low Moral, Horrible Management, High Caseload, High Turn Over
Culture and treatment varies on dept
Business Personal Property Auditor I (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 1, 2018
I have had pleasant experiences working in some departments but others have been very unpleasant. Since the change in County Managers in 2014 employee moral is very low and staff feels very unappreciated by management.
Fun Workplace with Fantastic Employees
Contract Auditor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 24, 2018
Flexible starting hours allows for free flow of employees entering the building and leaving at the end of the day.
Staying in the "know" can be challenging as communication trickles down very slowly.
Having supportive and reliable colleagues, who you can laugh and learn with is wonderful.
Enjoyable but not lucrative
Civil Magistrate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 17, 2018
It was a pleasure to work each day. My fellow workers become good friends. The work was interesting and often very amusing. At times it was heartbreaking as well.
Pros
Helping resolve disputes
Cons
Hurting people who were facing difficult times
Very reserve place to work
Human Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 16, 2018
Overall, this is a good place to work. I think that a lot of old policies during the hiring process need to be re-visited. I know that the employee should not be put under a microscope when in a stressful training environment. Please don't continue to eliminate potential great employee that have a true passion for helping people. I was born to provide exceptional client service to individuals during difficult times.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Micro Management
Typical Government job.
Assistant Fiscal Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 14, 2018
Typical Government job. A lot of older employees with 20+ years in smaller rolls. The younger employees have to either jump departments if the can or leave the county all together. Due to a lot of older employees being content with their roles. Not wanting to advance. Benefits are Government benefits not really much to go into there. The pay scale is not balanced at all. For example a lower position such as an Assistant Fiscal Analyst in a department may have more duties and responsibilities than a higher position such as an Fiscal Analyst in another department but are paid less. Or there may be positions with similar duties and responsibilities but the pay will be greater for one than the other. Some positions need to be reclassified because there being given more/new duties to perform without being suitably compensated.
Pros
Decent benefits such as health, vision, dental.
Cons
The pay scale is not balanced across similar positions/job title
Great team of people but oppressed by management
Coordinator I (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 13, 2018
I was trusted to do my job and do it well by upper management. However, I had to write my own work plan and year end review. Training was offered and I felt fully supported to attend national conferences. County Manager does not support the department however, and the lack of drive/slow move to complete projects trickles down to the workers on the front line. Frustrating that tax payer approved projects take years and years to be completed if ever.
Pros
work with people and serve the community
Cons
slow to change
Fast paced but a good learning experience
Judicial Assistant Civil Magistrate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 28, 2018
I only completed an internship, but I learned a lot of skills I will carry with me throughout my future career. It is a very fast paced work environment. You need to be organized and have good time management skills.
Typical day
Assistant Fiscal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 18, 2018
A typical day of work consist of serving the public. Every department is different. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is helping people and being a public servant.
Please think twice
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 20, 2018
Mecklenburg County no long offers actual health insurance to their employees. They only offer a high deductible plan. What that means is your health expense come out of your pocket. Also, they do not offer comp time are flex time. What that means is you are not Compensating for anything over eight hours . Every other county in the State offeres comp leave or flex leave. I would warn anyone to think twice.
Cons
HSA Health insurance
Great Benefits package
Sr. Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 11, 2018
Excellent Pension Plan, the location is great. Mecklenburg County have lots of potential if they began to hire management that will help keep the morale of their employee up, and hire because of experience and not because of who you know.
Pros
Paid Holidays
Cons
no compensation for hours worked over forty
Lot's of Politics
Technical Analyst 2 (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 7, 2017
Very political and cut throat. No chance for advancement.Training is only for the selected few. Lots of churn due to the benefit cuts. Salary is lower than industry standard.
Pros
Cons
Culture has dropped to 30%
Review
NC (Current Employee) –  NCNovember 4, 2017
Great place to work but management needs improvement. Often Frontline staff are not given proper instructions by management according to state regulations.
Pros
Benefits. Helping others in need.
Cons
Training is not sufficient for the job required. To much work on a single individual.
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Mecklenburg County, NCOctober 31, 2017
The county works to balance home and work life. You are informed and made aware of all activities in work place. You are offered discounts , shown appreciation with festivals, dinners , tickets paid by the county. You are compensated.
Great
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 25, 2017
Great place to work but not good with pay. Nice place to network and meet new people. Uptown working was great minus the money you spent on parking. Overall I enjoyed my time there.
Park and Rec (Park Ranger)
Park Ranger (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 12, 2017
The operation side of Park and Recreation was a horrible experience to work for. The people in higher roles (Park Superintendent/Managers) in place have no idea of what they are doing. It's a fake it until you make it type work environment and it's a you need to know someone to get ahead type of career. They do not care about your degrees, certifications, or accomplishments. If you do not know any of the people that's in the leadership roles you will never be promoted to the right position that you are more than qualified for.
It okay
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 16, 2017
All would run good if it was not understaff. You learn a lot. Very long day.

I enjoyed supervising daily living with residents by managing daily activites with reviewing and logging information into a data system. Personal goals with residents; residents with challenges by monitoring safety and security by checking up to 80 units daily and ensuring regulations were met.
professional and productive atmosphere
Volunteer Mediator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 8, 2017
This is a volunteer position. The hours are flexible and it is a privilege to be a part of the positive impact being a part truly is. Great people and culture.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
n/a