Mecklenburg County Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 10, 2018
Nice place to work, nice environment its nice to work here the people are very nice clients , the hours are good, the locations is great, the management is nice and understanding
Pros
hour
Great internship with many lerning opportunities
Legal Research Clerk for Judge Louis Trosch Jr (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 10, 2018
Exactly what one would expect. Research and networking opportunities with many chances to get involved and learn. Was able to get in a courtroom and see live cases every day.
School Health Registered Nurse
School Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 5, 2018
Enjoyed the work and the company is really working hard to please the employees. There are a lot of different requirements from day to day but overall the work itself is pretty easy. Management was approachable and coworkers were amazing to work with. I would have stayed longer.
Pros
County has great benefits. 10 month employee, get the summers off.
Cons
Some managers can be too much of micromanagers. Wish pay had been more.
Fun place to work
Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 24, 2018
• Supervise the day to day activities of 55 armed security officers
• Duty scheduling of security officers
• Motor patrol of contracted sites within Mecklenburg County
• Assist payroll processing
• Meet with clients on a daily basis to ensure satisfaction
• Safety and security of Mecklenburg county buildings and personnel within contract
• Safety and security advance planning
• Completed Active Shooter program
• Supervision and planning of emergency evacuation from public buildings within contract
• Planning and scheduling training for security officers
• Creating and enacting plans to combat crime and safety hazards within contracted locations
• Drafting of proposals for future and current clients
Pros
advancement
Cons
very large
fun place
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 23, 2018
love working there, great staff and supporting team. I would suggest working here if you are looking for a long term career. I started working a few ago and its the best thing that ever happened to me
Pros
the money is great
Cons
healthy vending machines
Fosters positive relationships and delivers quality service
Intake Specialist -Lead (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 20, 2018
Utilized internal controls and working knowledge to troubleshoot and self monitor data entry. Assisted co-works with implementation and being readily available for any questions and/or problems with the process. I attended numerous trainings and workshops. Participated in ongoing quality improvement projects to ensure compliance with clinical services. Enjoyed the cultural awareness workshops and trainings.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Some clients
Don't waste your time
Senior Fiscal Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 17, 2018
Bulling atmosphere, no one manages the managers, human resources is not involved they only support management, preferential treatment to "golden child"
Pros
Work has the ability to be interesting
Cons
Managers that can't manage people
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 15, 2018
Mecklenburg County under new leadership has been a pleasure to work for. However, work life balance is not considered with management for employee who work in the field.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No work life balance.
No Real Leaders
Manager (Former Employee) –  CharlotteAugust 6, 2018
There are no real leaders in the county. Especially within IT. Directors and above have an "every man for himself" mentality. There is favoritism in hiring, specifically, giving positions to unqualified people; allowing family members to work in the same department (father and son) with zero repercussions. Micro-managing individual staff. However people are too scared to speak up or report the issues because of fear of retaliation.
Pros
Staff and Middle Managers are great to work with
Cons
Poor leadership, no advancement, favoritism
Fair Place to work at
Permanency Planning Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 3, 2018
The job is very rewarding. May require long hours, but is very flexible. Community Partners are pleasant to work with. Work/life balance can be very difficult.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Long hours at times
Most of the people are easy going
Lifeguard / Lifeguard Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 31, 2018
Laid back environment, most coworkers are pretty easy going, but some higher ups are a little too power-hungry. Politics can get in the way of best decision making
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Higher ups are sometimes close-minded
Mecklenburg County was an excellent place to work.
Deputy Division Director II-(Claims Management) (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 29, 2018
Mecklenburg County provided training opportunities allowing for personal and professional growth. I was able to utilize both my social work and my finance experience in jobs at various levels within the organization.

My favorite part of working for Mecklenburg County was the people I met over the 29 years of employment.
county
Fiscal Reporting-Fiscal Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 16, 2018
Great employer. Great place to work. I was happy working there but had to move on for new opportunities and money. I would consider working for the county again.
Pros
good job
Absolutely love this place
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 14, 2018
I absolutely LOVE my job! I work with a great group of individuals and an awesome supervisor and awesome department manager. I am valued! There isn't any drama and you are appreciated for your role there. The County is big on work life balance and that is important to me. This place is different from every employer that I have had in the past and I would not change a thing!
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Haven't found any
Not a place to work long term
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2018
You cannot survive off of what the county intends on paying you. You get one raise per year and some people are actually getting .25 cent raises. There’s nothing beneficial about working for them besides the dental plan, even their health plan sucks. My whole department, besides one elderly woman, is trying to find a different job to move to just to afford food and toilet paper.
Pros
Dental
Cons
The whole shabang
Work
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 29, 2018
A typical day at Meck County DSS varies. Each day is different and you will meet a lot of people in the process. The hardest part about the job is the high case loads.
Pros
Entry pay and benefits
Cons
The case loads
Would recommend, but stay out of any drama
Nurse Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 29, 2018
Worked in CAP/DA program and really enjoyed working with the client's. There are some people in the department that try to make it difficult, one person that really would bully anyone they didn't like, and management did not address it. Pretty easy to keep to yourself and just do your job and stay away from any drama. You will be visiting beneficiaries in their homes, some which may be located in areas you don't want to go. Management supports the nurses and social workers and respects their judgement and expertise.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Some drama
My review
RECREATION ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 27, 2018
I have been working with Mecklenburg County almost three year and I love it. The one reason I can say that made me stay is working with special needs children, and working in youth sports.
Mecklenburg County
Fraud Investigator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 26, 2018
Mecklenburg County is a great place to work. They give opportunities to help enhance you as an employee. However would like more opportunities for growth, not just in supervisory positions.
Low Moral & High Turn Over
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  DSSJune 25, 2018
Social Workers have 25 plus caseload. Supervisor don’t assist with the workload, they are cut throat, and the managers over them are horrible. They expect you work miracles, weekends, and late nights without any compensation. DSS should drop the slogan Good to Great it’s not a great! People develop high blood pressure, horrible eating habits, become moody, poor health, and they don’t not care! I am not sure if anything can be done, unless they change people in management. Mecklenburg County isn’t safe because Social Workers are over worked and under paid.
Pros
401K, County Car
Cons
Pay, Low Moral, Horrible Management, High Caseload, High Turn Over