Mediacom Communications Corporation Employee Reviews

Management is great and mediacom really takes care of its employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oak, NEJanuary 14, 2019
Great company. management was awesome respectful and helful. The company feels more like family then just a work place. As long as you show up for work you can ensure that you will have a great shift.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
stressful work
Just ok now
Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 11, 2019
It was an amazing place to work until they changed everything with the sales department. They changed all the prices of packages, no one would buy, they blamed the salesmen lost 60% of there sales force before they realized they messed up. Was probably my favorite job until the head of the marketing team changed everything. They aren't salesmen, but control what salesmen do. Salesmen need consistency and the company changed every single month.
Good Job
Workforce Analyst (Current Employee) –  Gulf Breeze, FLJanuary 9, 2019
I have been at Mediacom for almost 8 years. I enjoy it, but I need more of a challenge.

The benefits are the best thing about this job. The medical is affordable, and the cable/internet discount is definitely a plus.
Terrible place to work. Its not worth it.
Technical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 7, 2019
Worked there for 15 years. When Mediacom took over it went right down the shifter. Only people left are the people who'll take anything from their employer and are scared they can't find another job. The best decision I ever made was to quit. Run from this place
Pros
Job pay
Cons
This is the worst company going.
It's an ok job.
Network Specialist 2 (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 5, 2019
The only good thing I can say is it is very hard to get fired. They do like to promote within, but it takes forever for them to make any decisions. You do get discounted cable services though.
Good overall company to work for
Director, Business Operations (Former Employee) –  Gulf Breeze, FLJanuary 4, 2019
After 20 yrs in the industry, I found Mediacom to be someone that spent too much time focusing on cost control. Privately held meetings with a screaming CEO were not motivating.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
To much focus on explaining every number.
Customer focused but moderate stress
Total Care Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gulf Breeze, FLDecember 28, 2018
At Mediacom customer service and technical support representatives are the front lines working with customers over the phones. It can be moderately stressful as there are always some customers who take it out on the cable company. Incoming calls are frequently back to back, with no break in between. Overtime is occasionally mandatory.
Cons
back to back fast paced calls
Worst company
Linux Admin (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 28, 2018
Do not work for Mediacom. Its very political and very poor management. Unprofessional behavior constantly kept employees stressed out. Non-technical management.
Pros
Cons
Don't work here
I always stay busy
Admin Assoc. to Director/Drop Bury Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 27, 2018
I send out a couple of reports in the morning. I work CATS tickets. I attend meetings, take notes. I schedule and arrange company events such as bowling, our Summer picnic and our East side holiday party each year. I have always liked my job here, but the traveling to and from work, which is three hours of each day is something that I do not want to have to do until forever. The employees are like a family and everyone helps everyone out if needed.
Pros
The environment I am in
Cons
drive to and from work
Very good benefits. I had a hard time moving up. My job was entry level and thats where I stayed with no hope of moving up
Dispatcher field support (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2018
Great benefits. Pay was average for the area. Management played favorites. Usual for most businesses. I have a hard time becoming the favorite employee.
Benefits
Cons
not much room for advancement
Lack of Proper Training
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  NYDecember 3, 2018
Simply said, they expect you to learn a new position in one day. It will be your responsibility to know your position even though their is very limited appropriate training. Some persons do not know how to talk to employees with any kind of respect, they just want to place blame and leave the responsibility on you to fix any problems.
Micromanaging
HFCNOC Operator / Router (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IANovember 18, 2018
I think the worst part of working for Mediacom is the micromanaging management does and that it would not hurt to stay competitive in the pay market for positions.
Great work invironment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MONovember 5, 2018
I've worked here for over 13 years and I love it. It's just they do shiftbids every 6 months and the shifts are getting worse. The people there are great co workers.
Pros
Good incentives
The most toxic environment that I have ever worked in
IT Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAOctober 25, 2018
Hostile is too mild of a word to describe this place.

Sales people are hostile and abusive.

Managers are hostile and abusive to their staff.

Management does not support their people.

CEO is insane.
He had a new facility built in New York, and for the series of gatherings (party-open house, etc), they were flying IT professionals to New York to PARK CARS.

The only way this company survives is because it is a monopoly in the cable marked.
Pros
Weirdly pretty good benefits.
Cons
Pay is sub-standard. Hostile/toxic environment.
Fast paced atmosphere with a quick thinking approach.
Technical support supervisor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 24, 2018
Mediacom is a great place to work! I love the people I work with and I would absolutely recommend this employer to everyone! I have worked for them for 16 years and look for many more!
Pros
Benefits, commissions
Cons
Hours, inconsistent communication
Productive, lovely environment and great management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blooming Grove, NYOctober 10, 2018
I love working at Mediacom. People are extremely helpful and definitely a feeling of family environment. It is an extremely beautiful and well kept building which makes it an absolute pleasure to go into work each day. My only issue is my salary requirement.
I liked working for upper management but not the floor managers.
Sales/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, NCOctober 9, 2018
The upper managers ran the training sessions and are a very welcoming bunch however the floor managers do not have the patience to help new employees succeed within the company. If you became a favorite you would have more leniency till you understood how to pitch your sales or to speed up on trouble-shooting with customers to bring down your talk time. If you would struggle on your talk time then you were seen as a dime a dozen till you are let go.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Sink or Swim
Information Technology Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 4, 2018
While working here I gained a lot of experience that would help me later in my career. I was happy to work here and it has always been a highlight in my career history
Entry-level tech support
Tier 1 Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Red Oak, IAOctober 2, 2018
Customer service isn't for everyone. No matter what call center you end up in, you're going to get angry customers who dehumanize and verbally abuse you from time to time. The majority of my calls as a tier-one agent started with disgruntled customers, usually because their services are not working or their bill has unexpected charges. By continuing to smile, showing empathy, and yet remaining firm, I was able to deescalate a good deal of them, but it eventually wears on you mentally and emotionally. The worst part is that most of the calls were caused by other agents who lied (whether intentionally or out of incompetence). Being the good, well-trained agent, it falls in your lap to be the bearer of bad news. I even had a supervisor admit in a meeting that, after doing some research, some of the higher-ups had found that most of our call volume was self-inflicted.

It's not rich with advancement opportunities, either. There was no shortage of agents who had been working there many years with no hope of being promoted any time soon. I don't understand why that is, exactly, because (at least in my office) we desperately needed more tier-one supervisors.

Don't get me wrong, all of our leads and supervisors were required to undergo training for tech support, but only two of them actually knew anything. We tier-one agents flooded their desks, avoiding the rest of the floor support at all costs. If they both happened to be gone, we were just outta luck. Sometimes we would ask one another in private messages in the IM, but we weren't supposed to do that.

If you did make the
  more... mistake of meandering to one of the other supervisors' or leads' desks in a desperate attempt to find an answer about an odd technical issue, chances are they would just tell you to schedule a technician appointment. By the way, it's not uncommon for our technicians to be scheduled two weeks out, so you might want to turn the volume down on the phone before you deliver that fantastic bit of news to your customer! I'm not sure if we're short on technicians or if our services are really just that unreliable, but it's the worst part of my job. Most of my calls that escalated past me to a supervisor were a customer wanting an earlier appointment, even though I told them my supervisor wouldn't be able to get them anything sooner and that we would credit them for their time down.

Another problem is that, in the office I worked in, there were no cubicles and the ceiling was very low. It was distracting and sometimes difficult to hear quiet customers. There were times I would have to reach up and press the headphones against my ears to block out the sound of the call center so I could hear the person speaking to me. Sometimes, the customer would hear the person sitting next to me so clearly that they would start responding to my co-worker's questions, thinking it was me talking. It's also not a very big office, so we don't have enough desks for everyone to have their own. We have what we call "floaters", which are newer people who won't have desks until someone leaves. Luckily, that's not uncommon, so I managed to get a desk a couple months after I was there.

My final gripe with Mediacom is that the tools are all very outdated. Right before I left, they had "updated" the interface to look nicer, but it was still full of clunky, slow programs. The main tool you use takes you through a series of steps for troubleshooting issues, but it's missing a lot of crucial information. I only ever used it as a checklist for the obvious and still managed a consistent "Outstanding" score for my handle time (call length, a statistic you're graded on).

All that being said, it is not a horrible place to work. It's entry-level—few of my tier-one peers had any computer-related experience. The starting pay isn't great, but you can take two NCTI courses for a $0.25/per hour raise each per year, so that's a guaranteed $0.50/hour annually. That's not counting your annual review, where you'll get another raise depending on how good your stats have been. You also get paid commissions if you meet your sales goal (but you WILL have to actively offer upsells to meet this as a tier-one agent). Furthermore, they often have fun incentives where you get fun rewards like gift cards and extra break coupons.

It's also very conducive to personal growth. It's mind-boggling how many people get away with just scraping by when this company makes it so easy to grow. I received daily updates on my statistics so I knew where I had to improve for a good monthly scorecard. Every week, we had two fifteen-minute huddle to go over changes in the company's services, policies, etc. Also weekly, we got a half-hour coaching with our supervisors so we could get ideas on how to improve and ask questions. In a year, my stats were competing with those of people who had been there for quite a long time. If you want to grow, you WILL grow here.

I also feel the need to say that, even though my group of supervisors and leads weren't the most knowledgeable, they were generally good people who seemed to actually care. The work culture is excellent. My co-workers were a great group of people who supported and uplifted each other. The calls were horrible some days, but a fifteen-minute break recharges you a lot better when you have someone amazing to share it with.

To give you an idea of a typical day working a tier-one agent... I came in a half hour early, always, because we were expected to be on the phone the second our shifts began. I logged into my computer, booted up all my programs, logged in to my different tools, and checked my e-mails and schedule. When it was time, I set my status to Available and started my first call. Most of the time, calls were back-to-back. If I needed time in-between calls for any reason, I could set myself to an unavailable status, but knowing that doing so for too often or too long resulted in a bad "adherence" statistic, I avoided this whenever possible. When it came close to break-time or lunch, I would take one last call so as to avoid a low "adherence" statistic, which rates how well you stick to your appointed schedule. We were mostly self-managing when it came to time. If we wanted to, we could go to the bathroom for ten minutes in the middle of our shift. We could go to break a half hour early. But it would negatively affect our "adherence", so it was always best to stick to it as closely as possible. While in a call, I did my best to meet all the call quality standards they gave us, because they choose seven at random every month to grade us on for another statistic. If it was more than two minutes before the end of my shift when a call ended, I would take one more, then close out of my programs, clock out, restart my PC, clean my desk, and leave for the day.

In conclusion, I would certainly suggest this if you're interested in getting into the tech support field. It's a great place to start out. The pay isn't great at first, but you can absolutely change that if you have the drive. It's a great place to build up experience before moving on up.

Okay, I know this was long-winded, but I hope it proves useful!
Pros
Great work culture, Fun incentives, Decent medical/dental/vision benefits, Verizon discount, Tuition reimbursement, Doesn't require relevant previous experience
Cons
Lots of passing the buck among agents, Overbooked technicians resulting in a lot of long waits for appointments, Incompetent management, Outdated tools, Loud and cramped office
nice place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYOctober 1, 2018
monday - friday office hours
large family owned business. They take care of their employees and love celebrating them.
many opportunities to grow within company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mediacom Communications Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight