Mediacom Communications Corporation Employee Reviews

Productive, lovely environment and great management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blooming Grove, NYOctober 10, 2018
I love working at Mediacom. People are extremely helpful and definitely a feeling of family environment. It is an extremely beautiful and well kept building which makes it an absolute pleasure to go into work each day. My only issue is my salary requirement.
Information Technology Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 4, 2018
While working here I gained a lot of experience that would help me later in my career. I was happy to work here and it has always been a highlight in my career history
Entry-level tech support
Tier 1 Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Red Oak, IAOctober 2, 2018
Customer service isn't for everyone. No matter what call center you end up in, you're going to get angry customers who dehumanize and verbally abuse you from time to time. The majority of my calls as a tier-one agent started with disgruntled customers, usually because their services are not working or their bill has unexpected charges. By continuing to smile, showing empathy, and yet remaining firm, I was able to deescalate a good deal of them, but it eventually wears on you mentally and emotionally. The worst part is that most of the calls were caused by other agents who lied (whether intentionally or out of incompetence). Being the good, well-trained agent, it falls in your lap to be the bearer of bad news. I even had a supervisor admit in a meeting that, after doing some research, some of the higher-ups had found that most of our call volume was self-inflicted.

It's not rich with advancement opportunities, either. There was no shortage of agents who had been working there many years with no hope of being promoted any time soon. I don't understand why that is, exactly, because (at least in my office) we desperately needed more tier-one supervisors.

Don't get me wrong, all of our leads and supervisors were required to undergo training for tech support, but only two of them actually knew anything. We tier-one agents flooded their desks, avoiding the rest of the floor support at all costs. If they both happened to be gone, we were just outta luck. Sometimes we would ask one another in private messages in the IM, but we weren't supposed to do that.

If you did make the
  more... mistake of meandering to one of the other supervisors' or leads' desks in a desperate attempt to find an answer about an odd technical issue, chances are they would just tell you to schedule a technician appointment. By the way, it's not uncommon for our technicians to be scheduled two weeks out, so you might want to turn the volume down on the phone before you deliver that fantastic bit of news to your customer! I'm not sure if we're short on technicians or if our services are really just that unreliable, but it's the worst part of my job. Most of my calls that escalated past me to a supervisor were a customer wanting an earlier appointment, even though I told them my supervisor wouldn't be able to get them anything sooner and that we would credit them for their time down.

Another problem is that, in the office I worked in, there were no cubicles and the ceiling was very low. It was distracting and sometimes difficult to hear quiet customers. There were times I would have to reach up and press the headphones against my ears to block out the sound of the call center so I could hear the person speaking to me. Sometimes, the customer would hear the person sitting next to me so clearly that they would start responding to my co-worker's questions, thinking it was me talking. It's also not a very big office, so we don't have enough desks for everyone to have their own. We have what we call "floaters", which are newer people who won't have desks until someone leaves. Luckily, that's not uncommon, so I managed to get a desk a couple months after I was there.

My final gripe with Mediacom is that the tools are all very outdated. Right before I left, they had "updated" the interface to look nicer, but it was still full of clunky, slow programs. The main tool you use takes you through a series of steps for troubleshooting issues, but it's missing a lot of crucial information. I only ever used it as a checklist for the obvious and still managed a consistent "Outstanding" score for my handle time (call length, a statistic you're graded on).

All that being said, it is not a horrible place to work. It's entry-level—few of my tier-one peers had any computer-related experience. The starting pay isn't great, but you can take two NCTI courses for a $0.25/per hour raise each per year, so that's a guaranteed $0.50/hour annually. That's not counting your annual review, where you'll get another raise depending on how good your stats have been. You also get paid commissions if you meet your sales goal (but you WILL have to actively offer upsells to meet this as a tier-one agent). Furthermore, they often have fun incentives where you get fun rewards like gift cards and extra break coupons.

It's also very conducive to personal growth. It's mind-boggling how many people get away with just scraping by when this company makes it so easy to grow. I received daily updates on my statistics so I knew where I had to improve for a good monthly scorecard. Every week, we had two fifteen-minute huddle to go over changes in the company's services, policies, etc. Also weekly, we got a half-hour coaching with our supervisors so we could get ideas on how to improve and ask questions. In a year, my stats were competing with those of people who had been there for quite a long time. If you want to grow, you WILL grow here.

I also feel the need to say that, even though my group of supervisors and leads weren't the most knowledgeable, they were generally good people who seemed to actually care. The work culture is excellent. My co-workers were a great group of people who supported and uplifted each other. The calls were horrible some days, but a fifteen-minute break recharges you a lot better when you have someone amazing to share it with.

To give you an idea of a typical day working a tier-one agent... I came in a half hour early, always, because we were expected to be on the phone the second our shifts began. I logged into my computer, booted up all my programs, logged in to my different tools, and checked my e-mails and schedule. When it was time, I set my status to Available and started my first call. Most of the time, calls were back-to-back. If I needed time in-between calls for any reason, I could set myself to an unavailable status, but knowing that doing so for too often or too long resulted in a bad "adherence" statistic, I avoided this whenever possible. When it came close to break-time or lunch, I would take one last call so as to avoid a low "adherence" statistic, which rates how well you stick to your appointed schedule. We were mostly self-managing when it came to time. If we wanted to, we could go to the bathroom for ten minutes in the middle of our shift. We could go to break a half hour early. But it would negatively affect our "adherence", so it was always best to stick to it as closely as possible. While in a call, I did my best to meet all the call quality standards they gave us, because they choose seven at random every month to grade us on for another statistic. If it was more than two minutes before the end of my shift when a call ended, I would take one more, then close out of my programs, clock out, restart my PC, clean my desk, and leave for the day.

In conclusion, I would certainly suggest this if you're interested in getting into the tech support field. It's a great place to start out. The pay isn't great at first, but you can absolutely change that if you have the drive. It's a great place to build up experience before moving on up.

Okay, I know this was long-winded, but I hope it proves useful!
Pros
Great work culture, Fun incentives, Decent medical/dental/vision benefits, Verizon discount, Tuition reimbursement, Doesn't require relevant previous experience
Cons
Lots of passing the buck among agents, Overbooked technicians resulting in a lot of long waits for appointments, Incompetent management, Outdated tools, Loud and cramped office
nice place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYOctober 1, 2018
monday - friday office hours
large family owned business. They take care of their employees and love celebrating them.
many opportunities to grow within company
Stressful work with no support from managers
Field Support/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IowaSeptember 26, 2018
Managers are always too busy to help. The training instructor has no idea what is going on in the field. He waste so much time in training classes talking about his family and his weekend plans. And food, he likes to talk about food.
Pros
Discount cable
Cons
Hours were not stable.
Productive Environment
TELEMARKETING SENIOR LEAD (Current Employee) –  Gulf Breeze, FLSeptember 12, 2018
I have spent 7 years with Mediacom and found that they have worked hard to ensure that employees are well taken care of. They are concerned for my well being and pay well, for the area. There is always areas for advancement and hard work is rewarded.
Pros
Near the beach, flexible work schedules
Cons
mandatory OT and shorted lunches for customer service positions
Ok job for sales reps
Telemarketer and Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 10, 2018
I wouldn't recommend unless you are good at telemarketing. A lot of pressure for sales. Managers are decent, but the boss is very difficult to talk to.
Get almost free cable and a work vehicle
Broadband Technician II (Current Employee) –  Ames, IASeptember 6, 2018
After the 90day probation period you get employee benefits such as discounted tv and internet. Also you get to take your work vehicle home at night. Work in all weather elements.
Toxic
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAAugust 27, 2018
worked the for a few months. Never got over the paper work its un beleaveable how much you have to do along with being a sales/customer service rep. but thats not why i left. we didnt have a manager or any leader for months which coused some stressful situations all the time. all in all if you want this job dont expect to get hired for a month. thats how long it usally takes them.
A typical day at work
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 23, 2018
Taking customer service/sales calls from account holders that were disgruntled with the service about 85% of the time. This made the work very difficult.
Good Place to Work
Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waseca, MNAugust 19, 2018
Management is wonderful - could never ask for a better group of people to work with! The benefits are great, and there is always the option to grow in what you do!
Great people and overall a good job
Collections Representative (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 15, 2018
I love working here, first job I’ve ever loved. Very good loving people to work for they acknowledge us as employees. If you really want to work, this is a great place.
Okay place to work for a short time period.
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ilAugust 13, 2018
Work consists of installing and trouble shooting cable, internet phone and home control network devices. Did learn a lot about wire specs and broadcasting. Management was Decent but did notice some favoritism in the workplace. There was also too much gossip and behind the back talk, felt a little jr high school, like at times.
The most difficult part of the job was crawling in dirty crawl spaces and rewiring old homes. The most enjoyment came with meeting customers most were really nice to deal with and very understanding, in times that I would have not been, as a customer of Mediacom.
Pros
Some ok monthly incentives
Cons
Lack of help and low pay for the work required.
bad
Sales Closer (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, ILAugust 12, 2018
do not work here, find something else, trust me....just don't do it. The supposed "sales calls" are complete garbage, the service is terrible. Morale is very low and the pay has been steadily declining since I have worked there. The goals used to be fine but now are impossible to achieve maximum payout per unit sold
Fun people but constant overtime
Tier I Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Waseca, MNAugust 10, 2018
Fun place to work, but expect to have constant mandatory overtime. 40 hours is rare, usually you will have between 45-60 a week. All time is monitored, and you have about 15 seconds between calls.
Demanding yet laid back
Warehouse Associate/Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 8, 2018
Scanning and receiving, 40-50% computer, there’s busy times and there’s slow times. Fairly easy to get along with everybody, communication is key. Repetitive. Decent pay for work done.
Pros
Paid Uniform, company vehicle for any travel
Cons
Repetitive
Glad it is over
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 6, 2018
It's a shame you have to fill out these reviews on Indeed before you can get your resume posted. This was so long ago and I cannot remember the environment
Productive enviroment
Senior Network Analyst - Senior Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2018
Job security is high at this company, of all the companies I have worked at this one has the highest security. you do not have to be scared for your position at any time.
Do not work here. The management sucks. They have favorites. If you are a tech they will mess with your route.
Technician. broadband speaclist. (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJuly 20, 2018
Terrible place to work. Don’t do it. Waste of time. Turnover rate is high. The service is bad. They try to make the techs fix everything. Don’t do it
Pros
Training
Cons
Stressful bad management
Nice Place to Work
Internet Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Gulf Breeze, FLJuly 16, 2018
I didn't stay with the company for very long but it was a good place to work. Relatively laid back environment, guaranteed hours, various options for advancement and competitive pay for the area and job type.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mediacom Communications Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight