Medical Center Hospital Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Administration does not care
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 18, 2018
Administration makes policies & procedures that are impossible to follow & expects too much from too few nurses. They are more concerned with patient satisfaction than with actual patient care.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Short breaks, heavy patient load
Many changes coming down the pipe for MCH
Flex RN (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 11, 2018
Charge nurses and management above are going through heavier workloads with potential changes foreseen in the future....................................
Pros
GREAT management mid level
Cons
Retirement benefits and PPL rates cut, new CEO with many staff cuts being made and many unknowns in the near future
Employee
Emergency Room Nurse (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 2, 2018
Arrive and prepare to receive patients. I have learned proper patient care from the beginning of my nursing career. My direct management is very knowledgeable and keeps me informed.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
New Administration we will see if any
work everyday life
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 8, 2018
Come into work, check to see if any authorizations have come through, create a patients account, discharge patients if they are leaving to go home or snf
Pros
break time
Cons
unfair peer to peers
Great
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 6, 2018
I loved this job. I would move back just to get this job back. Everything was great. I think management had some problem. Providers were great. Love the people that I worked with great team work. Loved the insurance, benifits from day one, you can use badge to get lunches and pharmacy medications. Weather is awesome there.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Nothing really
great work environment
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 1, 2018
Great place to start off as a college student. I was always doing something. I enjoyed the patients and worker. I enjoyed working in the radiology department.
Confused and irratic work ethic without effective evaluation
Front End Trainer (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXApril 26, 2018
Medical Center talks of high standards but does not practice them in management of staff. Bullying/treats of staff were par in hospital registration.
medical
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXApril 19, 2018
you work with other departments to ensure their needs are met in regards to scheduling. You discuss patient procedures with drs offices and patients. verify insurance and inform patient of their preparations and needs on the day of their procedure.
Staff are typically friendly. We have a shortage of nurses
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TX 79760March 25, 2018
A typical day at work is fast paced and multi-tasking. Management can be cut-throat. Staff are friendly but set in their own way. They do not accept change well.
Pros
Friendly staff, competitive pay
Cons
shortage of staff
High expectations
PATIENT FINANCIAL SERVICES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMarch 21, 2018
There's a lot of work and not enough workers. Other than that the people are what actually makes the place a great place to work. Good benefits! At the time I worked there, the management team worked really hard to make sure patients were being treated right. Of course, you can't please everyone but they try to.
Phlebotomy
Phlebotomist/Registrar (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXMarch 17, 2018
When I first started it was fun due to I had just finished my certification with AAPC on medical Coding.
Started out as part-time, then we had a crunch on how we were short on employees so we did over-time to accommodate those shifts, they decided then to offer me a full-time since I knew all the locations. Now that I have had 2 evaluations my pay is still the same no advancement or over-time, and we are all over worked with limited hours..but we are all full-time. So this is now my chance to go get my degree and further my education in Medical Coding for an associate degree in science.
good place to work.
CT/X-ray technologist (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMarch 13, 2018
My experience at MCH was good. The supervisors were nice and helpful. Pay is not great. Workflow is fast paced and at times stressful. overall good place to learn trauma.
Stressful work environment
catering associate in Nutrition Services (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TX 79761March 12, 2018
Learned different types of diets to cater to patients, loved each and every patient I had, very time consuming. Working 6 days straight of 12 hour shifts.
Pros
Free lunches, benefits
Cons
Short breaks, poor management, miscommunication
Blind leading the blind
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXFebruary 1, 2018
Many of the managers and educators have very little actual nursing experience, which leads to a situation where no one knows what they are doing. Assistant CNOs and many of the nursing directors have about 2 years of floor experience, and the educators even less. The educators do not educate, they teach endless CPR classes and Nursing Orientation, since the turnover rate is so high. They do not spend time on the floor helping nurses understand their jobs. It is a joke. I learned from old nurses with many years experience, and you cannot find this at MCH. In fact, the smarter and more experienced you are, the less likely you are to be in a position of teaching and helping others. They seem to only put those with very little experience in leadership positions.
Nurses have 6-7 patients a piece, which is way too many- while all the while piling more and more for the nurse to do, without the adequate tools to do so. The computers don't work, so you cant do your job. There is an atmosphere of bullying and retaliation among leaders that regular folks cannot break through. If you are not in their clique, you will never be promoted.
Pros
Mostly nice people. Good cafeteria
Cons
No advancement, no bonus or ladder, took retirees benefits away, poor money management, poor leadership
Applicants Beware
Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TX 79761January 13, 2018
I have been working for MCH for the past eight years and in that time I've seen a lot of changes mostly negative and that amount of time we continue to build new buildings while cutting employee benefits and retirement.
At the same rate the current CEO yearly pay is over $440,000 a year. I can say from personal experience that you do not want to trust management. For a non-profit hospital that is supposed to be owned and ran by the county this place sure is concerned about making money. If the citizens of Ector County only knew how this place was being ran they would demand their tax dollars return.
Pros
8-5 Monday through Friday Job
Cons
Lack of managment espically in the upper administration area
Good Job and Benifits
Computer Support Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJanuary 11, 2018
Great people. Management could be better. this is a competitive place to work. fast paced environment friendly staff and plenty of knowledge that can be absorbed if wanted.
Pros
Health Benifits and 401k
Cons
managment
good job
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 2, 2018
The medical center is a good job I like working with people the customer was always good to you I'm only thing I did was clean the rooms I was a housekeeper but going in and dealing with the patient was a great experience even though I only have to clean their rooms about their floors but once you're dealing with those patient and only thing you have to do is make sure they have a good and experienced during the time that they're there and it was great it was it was great idea like the job on I had to leave because I had to relocate in my living arrangements and my childcare but overall it was a great job
This was a very good facility that strived to provide quality care to its patients
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 19, 2017
I worked in many different areas over my tenor at medical center. It was a rare group of therapist that strived to make it a well renowned facility that provided quality care for its patients. team work was an important aspect of this facility. There are always issues with paper work here and there but for the most part you had support when you needed it and could talk about and work to resolve your work related issues.
This was the most enjoyable place I have ever had the pleasure of working.
Registered Nurse, Flex Pool Staff (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 27, 2017
The 12 hour shifts were always busy. Team work was incredible.
There were always classes available to update your medical skills.
Management was excellent and above. Overall workplace culture was top of the line.
I enjoyed every day at this hospital. I had a chance to work in many locations and enjoyed each.
The hardest thing was to change floors in mid shift, however, the team was always there to make the transition smooth as possible.
The most enjoyable moments was when a patient would find out where you were working and come to give you a hug and to thank you or the home made card from a child you were able to help when they were sick. I have kept every one!
Pros
Tired but smiling when going home.
Cons
Cant think of any.
No Room for advancement
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 14, 2017
There isn't much room to advance your career. Continued working with minimal staff and large case loads. Enjoyed all my learning experiences here, and learned a tremendous amount from my peers