Medical College of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Customer Orientated fun but productive place to work
Pre-Arrival Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIDecember 6, 2019
I enjoyed my time at MCW. Everyone was there for the same purpose, helping the patients. Each day brought new challenges that kept me learning. MCW encourages you to keep learning and growing.
Good learning atmosphere
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 24, 2019
The chance to meet a diversified group of people. Knowledgeable, interesting, helpful and just nice. The ability to learn a completely different job if you are willing to put forth the initiative. Encouraged to attend conferences and seminars to help in your position.
Pros
changable hours
Cons
Not encouraged to bring new and maybe time saving ideas to the table.
Great school and a good work place
Research Assistant Public Health (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 23, 2019
I worked for the medical college as a graduate student, the workload as both a student and an employee is heavy, and a work-life balance takes a lot of work, but it is doable.
Fun, exciting place to work
Physician Assistant, Division of Pulmonary Critical Care (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 22, 2019
Very supportive work environment. Great team dynamic. Academic focused medicine. Easy access to all members of the multidisciplinary team. Opportunities for involvement in various QI and research projects.
Excellent place to work
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 19, 2019
Currently a physician at the Medical College of Wisconsin with some of my time at the VA hospital. I really love my job and would never leave it if it was located closer to my hometown. Great support.
Run Away!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 19, 2019
Unless you’re a doctor, you’ll be micromanaged while working there. People who don’t have enough to do walk around the office talking to each other or Eve’s dropping on phone conversations or face to face conversations. Department managers are barely around and if they have their door open they want you to make it quick because they are too overwhelmed with their job to care. It’s toxic and unorganized.
Pros
Hiding in the bathroom
Cons
Privacy, micromanaging, toxic
Productive Workplace
Account Rep II (Current Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIOctober 16, 2019
Productive workplace, focused on becoming the best provider. I love the variety of employees, yet the Medical College could do better at accommodating employees' mental and physical needs.
Former Employee
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 15, 2019
I loved my first 6 months with the company. I have flexible hours and a fantastic team. Had the opportunity to be promoted within a different department. I took it with them allowing me to keep my schedule had to have them switch their mind and told me i would be fired if i can get it fixed ( it was a daycare issue and I couldn't do much) . Never got any training and then was given a corrective action for not being up to par in the role though I had asked for help numerous time. Hr will always back up management even when you have proof of things to support your claims.
Pros
Promoted within 6 months but then cannot transfer or move for a year even if it is not a good fit
Cons
Management and Hr does nothing to help employees
best
Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 28, 2019
1. The best environment for postdoctoral research associate
2. Good for learning hospital works - surrounded by hospitals.
3. Research-oriented environments.
Pros
good support
Cons
like company
Very outdated culture
Administrative Assistant Senior (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 22, 2019
Department of Medicine is a very dated culture. Management and leadership is tragic. Systems and software is dated. This division is completely a mess and needs a overhaul
Horrible management
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 17, 2019
One "supervisor" in particular is absolutely horrible. She has no clue how to do our job, has zero communication skills, lacks integrity, bullys to the point of people quitting. She has multiple complaints and yet HR does nothing, her own supervisor does nothing. So much turn over because this supervisor makes your life a living he**!!! She is pure evil!! Not involved with her teams at all and in trouble.you only hear from her if
Toxic environment
Research Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 14, 2019
Job was very demanding and had unrealistic expectations. The Doctor did not listen to others and was very removed from his work. The doctor would spent 2 hour meeting talking and his efforts to engage the team were ooorly executed. The team was toxic, it was encouraged to point fingers at one another. Leaders micromanaged. Not a healthy work environment.
Great for advancement and learning
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 7, 2019
This was a great place to work and they are very willing to train. They do hire from within, so there are many options to advance. Benefits are pretty good and the discounts are great.
Unpaid
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIAugust 3, 2019
Worked a few months for them while I attended a class at the school. It was unpaid and I was afforded no benefits. The work was menial and very little opportunity to learn.
Great
Research Technologist 1 (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 20, 2019
A typical day at work through the most enjoyable part of the day were great. The part where I learned through the hardest part of the job were great. Management and workplace culture were great.
Terrible place to work
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 19, 2019
Direct management was terrible. Very long hours and no flexibility. Expected to be there on time no matter if you were sick or a raging snowstorm. Initiative was not welcome.
Not enough communication
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIJuly 15, 2019
There was just, not enough communication. I am more of a "talk to me" person. They are not. I know today's day and age is technology, but to email a question and cc it to several people when you are sitting 10 feet away is a bit much. But the job itself was great. I recommend anyone to work there.
It will require transportation.
Research Technologist 1 (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 7, 2019
This is in Wauwatosa. Prepare for traffic. If there is nothing else to do you can always check your work email via the apps they'll have you download to use as a calendar on your cell phone.
Terrible management with no support. Department chairs can have it all their way.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 2, 2019
Horrible place to work with no leadership or equitability. If you are looking for a respectful place, don't look here. I spent almost five years in this organization , with the last two that were full of mental trauma. Department chairs can do what they want, with little or no accountability.
Pros
Cons
Poor leadership.
Poor management Zero advancement, dead ringer
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 24, 2019
Took this job with the idea that I was going to be able to implement new standards, review and create improved workflows. But so far my department does not welcome change. They state they "are open to change" but so far all my ideas and suggestions have been turned away. They aren't even willing to try. There is no flexibility or room to make up time off. you can't work from home. The worse part is you have to allow an about an hr of your time just to get to appt since you aren't allowed to park on campus. You have to shuttle in. Even the shuttle is unreliable. Sometimes making my commute home longer than I expected. The culture here punch in/ punch out do your job. There isn't much of a high morale here. I'm looking to leaving soon!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medical College of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Medical College of Wisconsin Reviews by Location