Medical College of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Great guys
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 9, 2018
Our department was a very enjoyable place to work with the staff we had. We had group outings, lunches, and parties. We had plenty of time to do our work as a team. The most stressful part was snowplowing. No place to push the snow.
Pros
Group outings
Cons
Great place to be professional
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  MilwaukeeNovember 4, 2018
I love the professional training and many academic seminars. MCW definitely is expanding. Colleagues are kind, easy to collaborate, knowledgeable, smart and responsible for their work. I like the workiong culture here. The only thing I'm concern that my department changed the promotion policy this year and Iwill not be promoted no matter how good I finish my work nut only when a new position was created.
Pleasant
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, wiSeptember 30, 2018
Very manageable so far. Good parking options. Helpful coworkers. Great providers. Up to date technology. Fair pay. Great benefits. Rewarding position.
High Energy High Functioning Organization
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 19, 2018
This organization is very high energy and is invested in it's workforce to ensure the best outcomes for students, patients, and the community. MCW is a great place to be and has wonderful relationships with it's entity partners (Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and Froedtert)
Work environment
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW (Former Employee) –  MilwaukeeSeptember 5, 2018
Very supportive and collaborative work environment. Management at the institutional and departmental level is very appreciative of career and skill development, and community support initiatives.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
Less growth opportunities
If many of their employees had to reinterview for the same jobs, they would not make it.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 4, 2018
In the dept I work in, diversity is unheard of. Perhaps management is satisfied with the status quo, and do not find it a need to embrace diversity.

Many managers should not be in that position, as they do not know how to manage a team.
Pros
It is a stepping stone to learning.
Cons
Management is lacking engagement with the people yet, they speak of team.
Ok place to work
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 31, 2018
The culture was a little too driven by nepotism and elitism. However, like most hospitals, it has room to grow and there are some good people working here.
Pros
Long Hours
Cons
No forward movement
Opportunities for Administrative Assistant roles
Financial Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 28, 2018
A typical day is filled with brainless task. Management is the worst I have ever seen. You are treated like a child and nothing gets done about rude supervisors. the workplace culture is very diverse but can also be segregated at times.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Healthcare to expensive
Charge Nurse/Supervisor
Ophthalmic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 28, 2018
Very fast pace environment. I had to multitask alot. I was responsible for attending to numerous patients and supervising nurses aides at the long term care and assisted living facilities. I had to learn to deal with all types of personalities of patients and families . Duties I learned depended upon what type of facility I was at. Management was too many chiefs and not enough indians. Diversified culture. Hardest part of the job was when I lost a patient. The most enjoyable part of the job was be able to converse with the different patients and family members.
Pros
Free lunches at some facilities, good pay. Learned new skills
Cons
Traveling to different faclities
Great Opportunity
Appointment Schedule Coordinator Rep I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 15, 2018
It's a great place to work. Management needed training to better understand the people they manage and the population whom was being served. Manage could use more in house training.
Pros
Most Managers understand the people and the staff they oversee.
Cons
Other managers need more diversity training to understand cultures.
This job ruined me
Research Technologist I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 8, 2018
I loved being a research Technologist. I loved advancing science, researching various methods, and getting results. However my lab manager was the micromanaging type and made it her job to pick apart everything I did and made my days at work unbearable. She would act cheery and nice in front of everybody else and then destroy me in emails or in front of my PI. After a family tragedy, I was struggling with depression, told my lab manager, and she told me to suck it up or find a different career.
Productive and incredible work place
Pre-Arrival Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 2, 2018
The manager and supervisors are very good, caring about the employees. Everything is done to help employees work to full potential. Work environment is fast-paced. Recognition is given to employees.
Corrupt
Physician (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 22, 2018
Search this employer in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. With an HR department of 2 employees to 5500 workers and reported age and race discrimiation and FMLA retaliation, there is a clear reason the turn over is so high for physicians. Stay away.
Good Jobs
Milestones Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 14, 2018
Lots of very skilled and other jobs available. I worked for a very competent supervisor. Pay scale is very good and so are benefits if you are working full time.
Pros
Good Jobs
Lack of support
Financial Analyst III-Dept Clinical Practice Serv (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 14, 2018
Manager was absent for the majority of the time. The person who was training only allowed you to ask a question once. So you better get it the first time. Family emergencies are not acceptable.
fun place to have an equal amount of work and school balance
Intern Physician's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 4, 2018
- A typical day at work included having a session for learning following with the internship with the physician that was picked for me later in the day when time was available to do so.
Pros
free lunch, great people
Cons
takes a lot of time in the summer
I went for medical school
Medical Student (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 3, 2018
Medical school was great experience but tough. I worked hard and it was rewarding but stressful. I met some great friends and worked with great physicians.
Enjoyed Working at MCW
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 30, 2018
I greatly enjoyed working for the Medical College of Wisconsin. I was able to maintain a Nice work-life balance. I learned a lot of different techniques and I would recommend working there.
Dedicated faculty and staff focused on research and cure of cancer
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 8, 2018
There is no typical day in the Cancer Center. My work day varies depending on whether I am planning internal visiting professors itinerary and/or coordinating external community engagement events.

I have learned how to convey the importance of being an advocate for ones own health to reduce to risk of cancer.

The culture is a team focused approach to addressing cancer disparities.

Management encourages its employees to be creative and share ideas for improving efficiency and effective business operations.

The hardest part of the job is understanding how complex cancer is and how research, clinical trials and legislation impact the development of drugs and treatment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is community outreach. Being in the community educating at risk populations about way to reduce the risk of cancer and the important of screening and early detection.
Pros
Fair wages
Cons
Uncertainty of future of Cancer Center
Dysfunctional leadership and hostile, fear-driven work environment
Postdoctoral Fellow in Medical Physics (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 8, 2018
There is no leadership in the department. Postdocs are treated poorly and constantly threatened with their jobs. The quality of research is poor. There are quality researchers in the department but their suggestions are disregarded when it comes to research. It is sad that people are just trying to save the day and pretend to do research due to dysfunctional leadership which is far from the scientific approach. Instead of cooperation there is a toxic competition between people who work here.
Pros
good location, great doctors
Cons
poor leadership, toxic workplace, fear-driven motivation, weak research

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medical College of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight