Medical College of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Depends on your Department
Education Program Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 21, 2019
I have great things to say about my direct manager (supportive, communicative, advocate). My position carries a heavy load and is very stressful. I feel there should be a restructure in our department (with promotions for many). However, upper management disagrees. When watching other departments promote constantly; yet never having any promotions in your department - one tends to get discouraged.

MCW is not horrible, but has PLENTY of room for improvement.
Great place to be professional
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  MilwaukeeNovember 4, 2018
I love the professional training and many academic seminars. MCW definitely is expanding. Colleagues are kind, easy to collaborate, knowledgeable, smart and responsible for their work. I like the workiong culture here. The only thing I'm concern that my department changed the promotion policy this year and Iwill not be promoted no matter how good I finish my work nut only when a new position was created.
Great place if you are in a good department
Program Manager (09-2017 (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 18, 2018
I have loved my time at MCW with the exception of our department leadership. It is almost impossible to be promoted and if you are not a revenue producing employee you are not valued.
Not all departments are this way which is great. But if you get stuck in a department like mine, it can be exceptionally discouraging.
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 27, 2018
MCW is a great place to work with great people, great management, and a strong culture focused on advancement in healthcare and research. There is cutting edge research being done by some of the nation's top scientists.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Tough to advance in certain roles and areas.
High paced and competitive
Postdoctoral fellow (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 15, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of experiments conduction for data production, writing grants, papers and conferences, animal work and supervising students. I learned a lot of different state-of-the-art methods and techniques. Workplace culture is high paced and sometimes stressful.
If many of their employees had to reinterview for the same jobs, they would not make it.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 4, 2018
In the dept I work in, diversity is unheard of. Perhaps management is satisfied with the status quo, and do not find it a need to embrace diversity.

Many managers should not be in that position, as they do not know how to manage a team.
Pros
It is a stepping stone to learning.
Cons
Management is lacking engagement with the people yet, they speak of team.
Medical College was a great place to start my research career
Research Technologist in Department of Physiology (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 22, 2019
Medical College of Wisconsin was a great place to start my biomedical research career. Great people to work with, high energy, the science was very motivational.
High Energy High Functioning Organization
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 19, 2018
This organization is very high energy and is invested in it's workforce to ensure the best outcomes for students, patients, and the community. MCW is a great place to be and has wonderful relationships with it's entity partners (Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and Froedtert)
Great guys
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 9, 2018
Our department was a very enjoyable place to work with the staff we had. We had group outings, lunches, and parties. We had plenty of time to do our work as a team. The most stressful part was snowplowing. No place to push the snow.
Pros
Group outings
Charge Nurse/Supervisor
Ophthalmic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 28, 2018
Very fast pace environment. I had to multitask alot. I was responsible for attending to numerous patients and supervising nurses aides at the long term care and assisted living facilities. I had to learn to deal with all types of personalities of patients and families . Duties I learned depended upon what type of facility I was at. Management was too many chiefs and not enough indians. Diversified culture. Hardest part of the job was when I lost a patient. The most enjoyable part of the job was be able to converse with the different patients and family members.
Pros
Free lunches at some facilities, good pay. Learned new skills
Cons
Traveling to different faclities
Opportunities for Administrative Assistant roles
Financial Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 28, 2018
A typical day is filled with brainless task. Management is the worst I have ever seen. You are treated like a child and nothing gets done about rude supervisors. the workplace culture is very diverse but can also be segregated at times.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Healthcare to expensive
Work environment
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW (Former Employee) –  MilwaukeeSeptember 5, 2018
Very supportive and collaborative work environment. Management at the institutional and departmental level is very appreciative of career and skill development, and community support initiatives.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
Less growth opportunities
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 4, 2018
The pay and benefits are good. I loved the department I worked in. They will help you find the best fit for you and there are a lot of great people here.
This job ruined me
Research Technologist I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 8, 2018
I loved being a research Technologist. I loved advancing science, researching various methods, and getting results. However my lab manager was the micromanaging type and made it her job to pick apart everything I did and made my days at work unbearable. She would act cheery and nice in front of everybody else and then destroy me in emails or in front of my PI. After a family tragedy, I was struggling with depression, told my lab manager, and she told me to suck it up or find a different career.
Great Opportunity
Appointment Schedule Coordinator Rep I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 15, 2018
It's a great place to work. Management needed training to better understand the people they manage and the population whom was being served. Manage could use more in house training.
Pros
Most Managers understand the people and the staff they oversee.
Cons
Other managers need more diversity training to understand cultures.
Pleasant
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, wiSeptember 30, 2018
Very manageable so far. Good parking options. Helpful coworkers. Great providers. Up to date technology. Fair pay. Great benefits. Rewarding position.
Ok place to work
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 31, 2018
The culture was a little too driven by nepotism and elitism. However, like most hospitals, it has room to grow and there are some good people working here.
Pros
Long Hours
Cons
No forward movement
Dysfunctional leadership and hostile, fear-driven work environment
Postdoctoral Fellow in Medical Physics (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 8, 2018
There is no leadership in the department. Postdocs are treated poorly and constantly threatened with their jobs. The quality of research is poor. There are quality researchers in the department but their suggestions are disregarded when it comes to research. It is sad that people are just trying to save the day and pretend to do research due to dysfunctional leadership which is far from the scientific approach. Instead of cooperation there is a toxic competition between people who work here.
Pros
good location, great doctors
Cons
poor leadership, toxic workplace, fear-driven motivation, weak research
Productive and incredible work place
Pre-Arrival Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 2, 2018
The manager and supervisors are very good, caring about the employees. Everything is done to help employees work to full potential. Work environment is fast-paced. Recognition is given to employees.
fun place to have an equal amount of work and school balance
Intern Physician's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 4, 2018
- A typical day at work included having a session for learning following with the internship with the physician that was picked for me later in the day when time was available to do so.
Pros
free lunch, great people
Cons
takes a lot of time in the summer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medical College of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight