Medical College of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Opportunity
Appointment Schedule Coordinator Rep I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 15, 2018
It's a great place to work. Management needed training to better understand the people they manage and the population whom was being served. Manage could use more in house training.
Pros
Most Managers understand the people and the staff they oversee.
Cons
Other managers need more diversity training to understand cultures.
This job ruined me
Research Technologist I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 8, 2018
I loved being a research Technologist. I loved advancing science, researching various methods, and getting results. However my lab manager was the micromanaging type and made it her job to pick apart everything I did and made my days at work unbearable. She would act cheery and nice in front of everybody else and then destroy me in emails or in front of my PI. After a family tragedy, I was struggling with depression, told my lab manager, and she told me to suck it up or find a different career.
Productive and incredible work place
Pre-Arrival Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 2, 2018
The manager and supervisors are very good, caring about the employees. Everything is done to help employees work to full potential. Work environment is fast-paced. Recognition is given to employees.
Corrupt
Physician (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 22, 2018
Search this employer in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. With an HR department of 2 employees to 5500 workers and reported age and race discrimiation and FMLA retaliation, there is a clear reason the turn over is so high for physicians. Stay away.
Good Jobs
Milestones Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 14, 2018
Lots of very skilled and other jobs available. I worked for a very competent supervisor. Pay scale is very good and so are benefits if you are working full time.
Pros
Good Jobs
Lack of support
Financial Analyst III-Dept Clinical Practice Serv (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 14, 2018
Manager was absent for the majority of the time. The person who was training only allowed you to ask a question once. So you better get it the first time. Family emergencies are not acceptable.
fun place to have an equal amount of work and school balance
Intern Physician's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 4, 2018
- A typical day at work included having a session for learning following with the internship with the physician that was picked for me later in the day when time was available to do so.
Pros
free lunch, great people
Cons
takes a lot of time in the summer
I went for medical school
Medical Student (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 3, 2018
Medical school was great experience but tough. I worked hard and it was rewarding but stressful. I met some great friends and worked with great physicians.
Enjoyed Working at MCW
Research Associate I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 30, 2018
I greatly enjoyed working for the Medical College of Wisconsin. I was able to maintain a Nice work-life balance. I learned a lot of different techniques and I would recommend working there.
Dedicated faculty and staff focused on research and cure of cancer
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 8, 2018
There is no typical day in the Cancer Center. My work day varies depending on whether I am planning internal visiting professors itinerary and/or coordinating external community engagement events.

I have learned how to convey the importance of being an advocate for ones own health to reduce to risk of cancer.

The culture is a team focused approach to addressing cancer disparities.

Management encourages its employees to be creative and share ideas for improving efficiency and effective business operations.

The hardest part of the job is understanding how complex cancer is and how research, clinical trials and legislation impact the development of drugs and treatment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is community outreach. Being in the community educating at risk populations about way to reduce the risk of cancer and the important of screening and early detection.
Pros
Fair wages
Cons
Uncertainty of future of Cancer Center
Dysfunctional leadership and hostile, fear-driven work environment
Postdoctoral Fellow in Medical Physics (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 8, 2018
There is no leadership in the department. Postdocs are treated poorly and constantly threatened with their jobs. The quality of research is poor. There are quality researchers in the department but their suggestions are disregarded when it comes to research. It is sad that people are just trying to save the day and pretend to do research due to dysfunctional leadership which is far from the scientific approach. Instead of cooperation there is a toxic competition between people who work here.
Pros
good location, great doctors
Cons
poor leadership, toxic workplace, fear-driven motivation, weak research
Quick pace, Great for gaining experience
Clinical Research Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 31, 2018
Very big team, manager was great, a lot going on, experience is what you make it, depends on the role you are in, great connections and very nice facilities and working environment
Pros
Good Salary, Great Experience, Good Manager
Educated program
Internship (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 28, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job, you get to learn a lot about the human research and other scientific medicals. This internship helps you have a better resume for any other job, such as hospitals and clinics.
Multi-Million Dollar Company that doesn't fulfill their stated Missions
Coding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 21, 2018
As an employee and a patient within this organization, I cannot say there was any satisfaction in either of my situations. They do not practice what they preach! I would not recommend this to anyone as a positive place of employment or an organization to have their healthcare concerns addressed. Highly dissatisfied with the medical treatment I received as a patient and the way I was treated as an employee.
Horrible place to work
Pre Arrival Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 12, 2018
This was the worst job I have ever had. I worked in pre arrival scheduling working over the phone in a call center environment. The job itself is okay except it is repetitive work that can be a bit stressful with no opportunity for advancement. They expect you to be almost robotic with required scripting that no patients want or have time to hear. When things slow down you can get 15 or 20 minutes between calls and you are expected to look at your keyboard and do nothing until you get another call. No internet, magazine, cell phone or communicating with eachother during down time. Managers are horrible. They will micro manage you until you go crazy. They never show appreciation or acknowledge good employees unless you are one of their very few favorites. They do not take suggestions or concerns from the employees that actually do the job that they are constantly criticizing. You will often be criticized through emailed screen shots to show what you did wrong or that you punched in 1 minute late demanding an explanation no matter the weather. They pick and choose who tardiness can be excused for no matter the situation or frequency. Management and leads believe they are the most frequent knowledge of how things should be done at all times even when doctors and clinics are constantly changing protocols but not communicating those changes. The turn over rate is extremely high. Employees are just another number and get replaced with ease. You will be monitored as if you are a child. You are expected to put up a sign that states exactly what you are doing if you have to get up  more... from your desk for anything such as going to the bathroom, walking to the printer that is 2 feet away, your short 10 minute break or the fax machine. I have been asked multiple times to sit back down for needing to use the restroom since 1 other person was away from their desk. (Mind you its a call center with plenty of other availability.) Much of the nursing staff you have to communicate with almost daily are extremely rude and try to belittle you. They ignore patients phone calls and messages even when they have urgent concerns. I would never recommend this department to anyone who doesn't want to get paid to be treated like a child.  less
Benefits
New
Animal Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 12, 2018
I became a Productive worker, an a great exciting place to work go to collage change your life an become anything your heart can dream of in the medical field.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
P.E.T.A was harassing us.
Great Place
Office of Research (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 9, 2018
Top ten Milwaukee employer. Nice campus. A typical day at wirk is busy and you are kept going. Standards are high. Technology is first class. Staff development is important to management.
Pros
Workplace Culture
Front Desk
Patient Scheduling Representative II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 28, 2018
This job was the best job I ever had. I was front desk receptionist, and loved every bit of it. The nurses and doctors were great to work for. I wish I could go back, but live in a different state.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No conns
Can be fast paced working at an academic medical college and teaching hospital (Froedtert)
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 20, 2018
Work with administrators, doctors, nurse practitioners. Interact with patients and visitors on a daily business. The hospital and medical college sets a fast pace which you must keep up with.
Pros
work with the best professionals
Micromanagement at its best
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIFebruary 16, 2018
The IT manager is a master of micromanagement and actually sit amongst the employees so he can hear everything going on and provide mission critical suggestions and criticisms.

If you want to be stuck with your training wheels one and not be allowed to wear your big boy pants this is where you want to be!
Pros
Excellent team environment oddly enough
Cons
Micromanagement, hand holding, lack of trust

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medical College of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight