Medical College of Wisconsin

Medical College of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Great place for grad school
The Medical College of Wisconsin is a great place for graduate school. All of the support of a large prestigious institution without the cutthroat competition.
Not enough communication
There was just, not enough communication. I am more of a "talk to me" person. They are not. I know today's day and age is technology, but to email a question and cc it to several people when you are sitting 10 feet away is a bit much. But the job itself was great. I recommend anyone to work there.
It will require transportation.
This is in Wauwatosa. Prepare for traffic. If there is nothing else to do you can always check your work email via the apps they'll have you download to use as a calendar on your cell phone.
Terrible management with no support. Department chairs can have it all their way.
Horrible place to work with no leadership or equitability. If you are looking for a respectful place, don't look here. I spent almost five years in this organization , with the last two that were full of mental trauma. Department chairs can do what they want, with little or no accountability.
Pros
Cons
Poor leadership.
Poor management Zero advancement, dead ringer
Took this job with the idea that I was going to be able to implement new standards, review and create improved workflows. But so far my department does not welcome change. They state they "are open to change" but so far all my ideas and suggestions have been turned away. They aren't even willing to try. There is no flexibility or room to make up time off. you can't work from home. The worse part is you have to allow an about an hr of your time just to get to appt since you aren't allowed to park on campus. You have to shuttle in. Even the shuttle is unreliable. Sometimes making my commute home longer than I expected. The culture here punch in/ punch out do your job. There isn't much of a high morale here. I'm looking to leaving soon!
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Mcw
I would not recommend a friend/family to work for MCW. My department administrator micro-managed and was too concerned about how employees were spending their time throughout their work day.
Cons
Manager
Medical College of wisconsin is an excellent place to work
I enjoy working for the Medical College. I work for physicians who respect and praises the work that I complete. I have the upmost respect for my colleagues.
Excellent place to learn from professors of Medicine
Love academic medicine and came back after several years of being away and really love and missed my collaborating MD's. I love neurollgy and multiple sclerosis care.in a academic setting
Pros
Excellent supportive MD's to work with
Cons
Long hrs and dwindling support for providers
Job summary
As a Data Support Technician Lead, I am responsible for maintaining the revenue flow. To maintain the revenue flow, I use a combination of DCL command files, Microsoft batch files and IPSwitch software to download and process remittance files. These processes are also used to upload claim files to various vendors.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
Work enviroment has a lot to be desired
Very stressful work environment. Management doesn't interact well with staff. There isn't any compassion for employees. Higher management is very closed in and distant.
Pros
Great pay, Pto
Cons
Employees are jealous of other coworkers, creating an unhealthy and uncomfortable work enivorment, mangement has developed friendships with specific jealous coworkers.
Good but Could Be Better
I think over all the Medical College is a good company to work for but I think they could improve the perks and benefits for regular employees compared to the doctors. They make significantly more money than the majority of employees and the college pays for their children's school tuition and other such perks that they can clearly afford but meanwhile their own employees can't afford their education and have to rack up student debt. The college only gives $3,000 OR 15 credits whichever comes first towards tuition per year. And I have had it happen where I reached 15 credits first so I couldn't even get my full $3,000. Even McDonald's gives more tuition support than that and this is a college.
I enjoyed working independently
I enjoyed that I could work independently and listen to my headphones to tune out the others who were often talking. It was hard to work as many hours as I did.
Pros
It was steady work with plenty of overtime.
Cons
Not enough flexibility with the hours.
A great opportunity to develop the department of psychiatry I chaired
i enjoyed being first full-time chair of psychiatry there. I built department to fusty of 90. Rebuilt VA affiliation. Rebuil entirely county mental health facilities. Left chair in 1982 to begin my work in Israel
Medical College was a good learning experience. I learned a lot on the job. I applied what I learned on the job. I just had a great experience working for them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
salary pay
Overall wonderful place to work
Large emphasis on patient safety and evidence-based medicine. Flexible scheduling options for most providers. Cohesive family-type environment which allows for relationship-building and closeness among staff members.
Pros
flexiblity
Cons
information can be delayed to employeess
Quite a bit of turn over and burn out lately.
The department I work in seems to be experiencing a number of retirements and resignation.

Very few of those positions have been filled so the ones left are having to absorb the work which is resulting in burn out.
Pros
Benefits are good.
Cons
Losing some valuable employees.
Excellent Academic Medical Center
MCW is one of the top academic medical centers in the country, and has excellent clinical partners as well. The academic environment is cultivating and quite stimulating as well. There are people here who are truly working on the next cure for (insert ailment here), and are continuously changing the education, training and practice of medicine. One of the best Academic centers I have been associated with in my career.
love working here
It's a fun company to work for it's room for advancement if you work hard. the culture is very diverse. the supervisor treat you all like one big family,
Pros
discounts, bonuses, making new friends
Cons
stressful at times, better breaks
Great networking and work environment
Large but small hospital in the sense that networking is easy and your co workers truly care about you. The campus is constantly improving and taking in all staff considerations to improve.
Fun place to work.
Everyone is extremely friendly and willing to help each other. Collaborative and healthy work environment. People are very focused and dedicated to their work.
Ignorant and disorganized company.
In some departments of the MCW there is a lack management that is more concerned about money, popularly contests, moving personal friends within the company to get jobs positions that don’t know how to do the job and get other employees to do their jobs. They leave their office doors open and talk about office employees with other employees/mangers that they are friends with. And if it’s about employees that they really don’t like, only then they shut the doors. Some of the managers have no respect for their minority employees. They see them as people that they can talk disrespectful to, demen them, and when their close friends don’t want to do their work they ask them to do the work for them on top of their daily job position. And lastly some managers get their job positions and are not really trained at on how to their jobs and they think they know what they are doing, but they really don’t. The only time they do work is when other higher personnel come around and need them to their job. Overall they are some mangers and employees in good department that actually do their jobs and they are some departments that simply don’t care and want a check.
Benefits
Cons
Horrible management and no leaders.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medical College of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight