Medical Facilities of America Employee Reviews

Featured review
Medical Facilities of America selected this as a representative review
Excellent Company. Leader in its markets
Company Manager (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 10, 2017
Excellent Company; high expectations with structure for support. Very customer focused and responsive to employees. Committed to staffing even in a difficult market
Pros
Service and team culture helping vet vulnerable people
Cons
Challenging work. Can get pretty fast paced, but always based upon patient needs
Exceptional training, approachable staff
Activity Director (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 30, 2018
I have only been with the company for a few weeks but first impression is everything! In my career as a recreational therapist this is the only company who has invested in me enough to provide paid training specifically to my role and profession. The management team is very approachable and eager to help. The management team is all pretty new with a few seasoned leaders. Theric the administrator is very good and passionate about the residents and the employees. He actually takes the time to talk to residents, staff and family members on a daily basis ! Anyone who has been in the role of ceo knows how hard it can be to balance time spent working and engaging with people. I look forward to more time here at parham Health and rehab
Pros
New management team who is approachable and working on bringing up staff morale.
Cons
Salary
If you value your nursing license, stay away from MFA / CRCC
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 26, 2018
First off, MFA and CRCC (Fayetteville, NC) is the same place. Google reviews lists a lot of reviews from the DON and ADON themselves. Read any review from a nurse that's ever worked here & you should be running for the hills. I didn't listen. I gave it a shot anyway and it was a disaster. Just like most nursing homes this place is incredibly understaffed and nurses are overworked. Between 25 - 30 patients for 1 nurse. New management in certain units had the place running worse than it was before, which is saying so much. The training is like 2 days long and then they throw you on a med cart by yourself. When new nurses get hired, you have to train them yourselves. None of the new nurses ever stay. You'll spend a couple days training them to get temporary relief from having to work 12+ hour shifts before they quit a couple days or weeks later. In large part it's because the work load is so heavy and the training is so poor. Management does very little to try to retain you as an employee. You have to fend for yourself or be treated like you are disposable. They look at you like you're insane if you ask for help, clarification or assistance. It's every nurse for themselves at CRCC/MFA . Most nurses there are just waiting to get their 6 months experience to leave and work elsewhere. A handful of nurses got threatened to get reported to the BON after working here. The DON and ADON will not give positive feedback to future employers if you put them down as a reference. This place will use you and abuse you any way possible. You'll end up working 12 - 16 hour shifts because nurses  more... call out and quit so often. Very few nurses that have been working there longer than 6 months. If a patient complains about a nurse, the DON, ADON and Unit managers are quick to believe the patient and reprimand you before addressing you first. They treat you like you're incompetent if you make even the smallest mistake or fall behind on your shift. I would never want my family member to be cared for at an MFA facility. Absolute worst nursing experience of my life.  less
Pros
Able to work overtime as much as you want
Cons
Poor management, no support from management, no work/life balance
Typical Nursing Home Job
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 17, 2018
High nurse/cna to patient ratios. Frequently work short staffed with leads to high turnover rates. Good staff is quickly burnt out due to working short during most shifts.
Wonderful Place to Work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Highland Springs, VAJuly 16, 2018
At MFA the staff is very nice and helping. The facility is very nice it’s open and pleasant. Everyone is easy to talk to. You’ll never be left behind.
Would be a better environment if there were better management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 16, 2018
If this job was at a different location, everything would have been 10xs better than what was experienced at this one. Only work here if you can deal with constant belittlement, the occasional violent visitor, irate callers, etc. Nothing but workplace drama where no one does their work but expects others to pick up the slack
Pros
Lunch is $3.00, business casual, dress down Fridays, really good PTO
Cons
Management, work environment, coworkers
I loved working at Medical Facilities of America
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Vinton, VAJuly 14, 2018
I just loved the resident that i got to take care of. It just amazing company to work for and has awesome benefits and awesome pay and the environment is great.
Pros
Free Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks
Charlotte health & rehab is terrible
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 10, 2018
The supervisors have their favorite staff who barley do anything while at work. Housekeeping staff are loud and rude troublemakers who think they are nurses always talking about staff members ! Dietary staff is rude and greedy always taking extra food home instead of feeding the staff or residents who ask for more food. The residents who are here and are in their right mind are either perverted or rude. Only good thing about this place is the pay, extra hours & the rehab staff. Long term side is a nightmare. Not enough help or staff. Not enough lift machines either. Environment is stressful and unfriendly makes me not want to come to work. Currently looking for other jobs.
Pros
Pay, hours
Cons
Unfriendly environment
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 6, 2018
I love working with MFA but recently the company made changes that significantly decreased my usage as a PRN employee. If they had availability for part time I would take it in a heart beat. My co-workers are great and management is strict yet personable. The hardest part is the documentation, but I'm sure that's the same anywhere! I learn new techniques daily and it is encouraged to seek assistance whenever needed; they have never made me feel inadequate or belittle me due to my inexperience.
Run and fast
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 29, 2018
I worked here for about 4 months. It was a horrible experience. Most evenings I would have only one CNA on my hall due to constant Call-outs and No-Shows. So basically you had one LPN and one CNA trying to care for 20+ patients. As the LPN, I had to provide medication administration, wound care, tube feedings, teach care and colostomy care while trying to help out my only CNA. The pay was ok but an 8hr will always be 10+ if you cared. Plus, you could tell some of the other nurses did not care or were overwhelmed because I would come in the next day and some of my patients would have to same bandage I applied though they are supposed to be changed every shift. Management just sucks here. Such a shame.
Pros
Money
Cons
Nurse to patient ratio, poor management
Too stressful
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waverly VaJune 26, 2018
No teamwork, understaffed, rarely ever got time for a break. Management made up the rules as they went along. If you want to work yourself to death this is the place.
Pros
The residents were the best.
Cons
Everything else
Don’t bother at Charlotte NC
Nurse (Former Employee) –  CharlotteJune 16, 2018
The Charlotte North Carolina location was by far the worst run nursing facility I have ever worked for. The DON had no clue as to what was going on in the building. There is always short staffed in both nursing and CNA positions. You never knew if you really were going to have relief at the end of your shift, and there was never any on-call person to take over. The weekend supervisors were always on the cart instead of supervising the actual facility. Overall a really bad place for nurses.
Pros
Pay scale
Cons
Staffing
Very bad management do not work there
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAJune 13, 2018
Management was just awful nurses were mean just a bad place to work one of the worst jobs i have ever had do not work there they treat u really bad residents were nice thats it
Mfa
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 11, 2018
I took a position with MFA after having a really bad experience with a contract company called Heritage Healthcare. With Heritage, I worked for them 7 years without a raise, only a pay cut. Heritage Healthcare was based out of South Carolina and I worked in Virginia. They had no idea what was going on in the clinic and no support for good clinicians. However, the only critique that I have for MFA is that upper management tends to micro manage but in some cases are very supportive. My manager is the best I’ve had in my 22 year career. Finally, I get evaluated in regards to my skills and what my patients say instead of just politics.
Pros
Pay increases
Cons
Some micro management
The best job ever.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Louisa, VAJune 7, 2018
This is my most favorite job. This company is amazing because the leadership is dynamic and cares about their employees................................
Good place
Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 6, 2018
They had great equipment and lower productivity standards but lots of documentation and timely, as well as other roles to the job with Lifeworks that were time consuming.
Run of the mill facilities
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2018
Difficult working in certain facilities within MFA due to the poor related staff support - ie RN/LPN, CNA, and MD. Facilities are typically poorly kept with unsatisfied customers. Must have a strong will, heart, and nose to work at these types of facilities.
Good place to work. Single owner who believed in quality Nursing facilities.
REGIONAL VICE-PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2018
Was hired to be the Regional Vice President over 9 facilities in the Richmond, Virginia area. I worked with 9 quality administrators and was really hard pressed to leave. My mother was at the end of her life and had to go back to Texas.
A Lot of driving.
Quality Assurance Consultant and Educator (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 3, 2018
This wasn't a bad place to work. You spent a lot of time driving from place to place and there was some over nights.

No one to hold the staff accountable for not following policy.

Large staff turn over
Pros
Working Indpendently
Cons
Lots of driving, Not able to enforce policy at the facilites
Terrible
Kitchen Worker (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VAMay 26, 2018
The management is terrible. They dont take care of issues. They dont like to hear your opinions. They want you to keep your mouth shut. A lot of work and the pay is low. Not enough staffs and they say they over staffs.
Pros
wonderful staffs
Cons
not fair
It wasn’t worth my time
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VAMay 6, 2018
Let me start off by saying Management sucked and all people did there was tell and run they mouth. My boss was a nasty older man who hit on the females in the cleaning department and was unprofessional. I would definitely not recommend no one to this facility pay sucks by the way
Pros
Leaving Time
Cons
Pay, Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medical Facilities of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.4

2.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight