Medical Services of America
Coronavirus update

Medical Services of America Employee Reviews

United States235 reviews
Pays well below market rate for office position.. about 15-20% lower

Biggest complaints directly related to managers and some tenured staff:

--Demeaning communication

--Backstabbing and lying with no repercussions

--Unwillingness to change and adapt to modern processes

A lot of the corporate office staff are nearing retirement after having spent many years with the company. New employees were not treated well or fairly by those in management. Loyalty at the upper level caused distrust at the lower level.

Would not recommend to anyone looking to grow or expecting to contribute ideas. Employees were not trusted to be subject matter experts, and there was intense micromanagement by managers who couldn't play by the rules. There was a strong unwillingness to change processes, and the quality of work and employee satisfaction all suffered because of it.

The MSA corporate office is best described as:

--Stale

--Boring

--Tired

--Lack of innovation

--Lack of motivation

--Will lie and throw you under the bus quickly to save themselves
Pros
Near an interstate exit so you could easily access the location
Cons
Stuck in old ways, pay was a slap in the face on top of being treated poorly
Management is poor. No organization and no structure. You have to pay out of your own pocket for any marketing lunches and gifts for referral sources and are not reimbursed for 2 months! Big lunches and everything you need for referral sources leave you with hundreds of dollars out of pocket until you get reimbursed. They consistently reduce your mileage reimbursement based on what the cost of gas is and it is no where near the federal limit for mileage reimbursement. Management takes credit for the referrals and relationships you foster to make their numbers with corporate. Just so dishonest and unethical! Owners and CFO came to Fort Lauderdale office to meet with staff. They left staff waiting around a table for them as they were an an hour and half LATE. They had all gone out the night before drinking and could not wake up on time. The CFO's clothes and hair were all ruffled and his shirt had buttons buttoned crooked and busting out! Very unprofessional. For a business operating 40 years in Fort Lauderdale, they only carry a patient load under 40. They only take Medicare so referral sources do not like using the agency because of that. Corporate only wants the patients with Medicare for the high reimbursements. They don't care about patients. They only care how much money they are going to make on a patient. Look for another agency.
All about numbers and the bottom line. This company does not value its employees for what they do well and will punish them for what they are unable to do, regardless of the reason why. The clinical managers are given way too many tasks and expected to keep up with all of it, including making sure that audits are timely, as well as make home visits as needed, all while making sure to still have “family time”. Totally unreasonable. Not worth the stress.
Pros
Coworkers were helpful
Cons
Poor upper management, employees not valued
A lot of changes happening but the company is striving to be great! Hearing employee feedback, new leadership for employee orientation that is wonderful, and management team that cares as long as you take the time to reach out! With growth and change sometimes comes turnover but they are looking to retain excellent nurses!
Pros
Good leadership, looking to grow, flexible
Cons
Change takes a little time (large company)
Medical Services of America is a great place to work. They care about their staff and are respectful of the work/life balance. Patient care is a priority.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
This company is moving forward with great strides and ever changing to meet the current needs of the patients in the home healthcare system and its continuous changing climate through these different times
Pros
Team approach
I loved the people I worked with, but the agency was very unorganized. There was a constant lack of staffing which resulted in the company losing money. No attempts have been made to hire new employees to alleviate the money that is being lost. Overall, I enjoyed working for the company and gained an extensive amount of knowledge.
Pros
It is rewarding when you get the patient the care they need
Cons
Lack of communication and staff.
Great company to work for, enjoy and have appreciated the opportunities given to me to grow. Company is working hard to improve employee retention and happiness overall. Busy place, fast paced, never the same day twice. Patient care is top priority. More helpful and friendly employees then "bad" apples.
Pros
Patient care, friendly atomosphere
Cons
longer hours needed at times to complete work
This company creates an unhealthy and often hostile environment for PT’s. The RN’s show disrespect for the PT’s. Two year RN’s with little to no experience telling PT’s how often and how long to treat patients. These RN’s tell PT’s to d/c or continue patients against the judgement if the physical therapist. If you do no comply, they threaten action against you. Hostile work environment. Nurses Nurses
Pros
Cons
Hostile work environment, poor leadership, two year RN’s with little experience as msnagets
My specific location is rather extraordinary, in that we have a great team of clinicians and office staff that work together to accomplish our tasks and goals for the day. Everyone (for the most part) is warm and inviting, and you do have a bit of flexibility in terms of needing to come to work late one day and/or leave early on a different day.

However, on a larger level, this job is quite a mixed bag. The organization/corporate does not pay according to position standards, nor are annual raises common (regardless of how well you have performed). Rather than truly being given the opportunity for advancement, usually job duties are just tacked onto what you're already doing, with no job title change or pay increase. One of my peers went from not supervising anyone to suddenly overseeing multiple staff, and she received neither a raise nor a change to her job title. This is common.

Clinic managers are regularly expected to go out into the field and see patients, in spite of how many administrative tasks they have for the day. Many field clinical staff are also expected to keep up with the increasing demands of documentation (especially amidst the COVID-19 crisis), but are also not seeing raises or bonuses for the longer hours they spend in the field. This organization is very profit-focused, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is worrisome when patient care is a second priority to that. Unless you are an RN or PT, there is truly no way to climb the ranks, regardless of your education level, background, or skillset. The company is just not structured that way
 - more...
Pros
Different locations offer great office atmosphere, somewhat of a flexible schedule depending on your clinic manager
Cons
no room for advancement if not an RN or PT, no raises or cost of living adjustments, below average wages
If you are a true patient advocate this is not the agency for you! Corporate management is loyal to one another. Orientation is promised but no follow through. When you don’t meet the expectations they forget that there was never proper training. Revenue generation is priority. Pay is not competitive, no annual increases, high benefit premiums. Work hard and expect less!
The job of a Home Health Occupational Therapist is demanding. Long hours, a lot of paper work and a lot of driving! However, the rewards of helping patients improve and live safely in their homes is worth it!
Sales girls used in the same framework the Me too movement exist for. They were expected to do whatever it took to get MD Medicare referrals The company paid for Medicare referrals in very clever ways and primary focus is always profit margin on each medicare recipient not on patient care
The absolute worst company I have ever worked for. I stayed for so long because the women I worked with were amazing. Then there was a lay-off (common with this company) and I was transferred to a department that is just straight depressing. The pay is not competitive like they say. You will not get a raise, even if they lie to you on your interview and tell you that you get one yearly.

I can tell
When I first started, things were great. My manager was kind and understanding. The workload was comparable to my salary. Then the umbrella company got involved. After a few months, things changed. Expectations increased dramatically and without warning. Instead of expanding, I was expected to be on call and rearrange my schedule to meet the varying work load. I attempted to voice my concerns but was shot down. Communication is lacking. I felt as if I was low man on the totem poll. I was treated like a robot. When the schools were closed due to Covid-19, there wasn't any childcare available. I was forced to request voluntary furlough. Soon after, I was denied unemployment. Overall, I encourage you to do your research and ask a lot of questions before joining this company.
Enjoying working here, benefits are great, very friendly working environment I’ve been with company for 4 years and still like it. I would recommend it to my friends.
Great team players,Good pay,great hours..Great friends,great support,everybody works together to get the job done.if ot is needed we all jump in to get it done
The executive director thinks he does no wrong. I cried on my way to and from work most days. The pay is next to nothing for the work you do and you're never apricated.
Overall a great place to work!! Compassionate caring people who love their patients and families. The best part of this job is knowing you made a difference in a patients life.
The Hospice division of this company allows harrassment, humiliation and retaliation from management. Most stressful environment I have ever worked in. Don’t bother reporting it, they will slowly push you out the door if you do. They expect you to jeopardize your license by lying on paperwork to make patients look like they qualify for Hospice services. Management has support ofhogthese actions from higher up management.
Strongly got the feeling that ownership didn’t recognize, reward & nurture their managers/ directors very well. Don’t believe exceptional managers often ( if ever) actually made bonus.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medical Services of America. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
2.7
2.7
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
1.8Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight