Medical Services of America Employee Reviews

Horrible management
Clinical Manager, Home Health, RN (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, SCJune 28, 2019
We had a great working team until management changed. Promises made but nothing ever happened. Yes there was a fluctuation in patients but when the census was high there was no additional help with high expectations to still have job done. Two-three admissions along with a ROC and routine visits all on the same day. Weekends were 5-6 admissions along with other visits. Impossible to get charting finished within the time frame. Vacations cancelled because they couldn’t give time off because there weren’t back up and patients had to be seen. Excellent patient care because the nurses do care, just burned out quickly from high expectations that could not be met. Driving 50 miles to one patient and expected to drive again another 45 miles with a full load. Hours were longer than 8 because of patient load and driving distance. Promotions given without proper training and expectation to perform the job without management help. Employees that have been there for years have not had raises and all hard working employees, all have left for similar job and more pay. Seen people lose their job for poor performance but same employees doing the work of two positions. This is quite common. Management does not care as long as the money is coming in and throw down on employees if anything isn’t right. NOT A Good Atmosphere to work.
Benefits
Amazing place to work!
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Boone NCJune 19, 2019
Enjoy the work and taking care of patients at end of life. My manager is amazing and helps in anyway that she can. We work as a team to care for the patients and I always have support.
Productive supportive environment
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCJune 19, 2019
Medi is a great place to work with collaborative atmosphere. All team members work together to benefit the patient. The job can be busy but very rewarding
Fulfilling job for caring people
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  West JeffersonJune 19, 2019
Fast paced work and fulfilling job. Good co-workers and team environment. It can be emotionally draining at times, as you are dealing with end of life.
Run
Assistant Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 29, 2019
Fun environment, but no room for advancement and no raises although more work was dumped on regular employees. Buddy system. If you were not liked by executive, you were treated as a no body!
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
No raises
Keep this in mind when reading these reviews .....
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMay 26, 2019
Most of the time these reviews are written by people who have left the company and are ticked off about something. I have been with MSA in an Administrative role for over 6 years now. I love my job and I love my team. Yes the salaries could be more competitive for similar jobs in the area but overall I am fairly compensated. Management has always been supportive. When I faced a serious illness MSA went above and beyond to help me through it. Raises are EARNED. If that is a job necessity for you then you best do your job. I have never seen racism or blacklisting of any kind at MSA. Amount of vacation time is earned based on how long you have been with the company. Census does go up and down but that is expected. People pass away. New ones come on service. That is what we do. And if a location is having an issue with Medicare it is probably because of poor documentation NOT an inappropriate admission. Apply. Meet the team. See for yourself before believing what someone who may have a grudge against the company has to say or what I have to say for that matter. Thanks for reading this. Good luck in your job search.
Pros
Great environment, Supportive management
Cons
Salary needs to be more competitive
Place is a joke
Nurse (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMay 20, 2019
MSA is a joke! Incompetent management, starting at the top. Area admins and directors have no background in hospice at all and it shows. Company is strictly about $$ with no regard for patient care and no appreciation for staff. There is blatant racism in the office environment. Micromanagement and nepotism are all this company are good for. There has been a freeze on raises for years but they expect you to carry multiple job titles and responsibilities for no incentive. They refuse to spend money for advertising. Admit inappropriate patients routinely to hospice just to raise the census. Company constantly has to pay back money to Medicare and then the staff is called into meetings like cattle to yell at them for this, when upper management is the one forcing inappropriate admissions. Not a safe place to work if you value your professional license.
Pros
Absolutely none
Terrible company
Billing Representative (Current Employee) –  Lexington, SCMay 19, 2019
Below average wages with no annual raises or merit increases while the corporate office has lunches catered almost daily. The facility itself is run down, dirty, equipment broken, outdated. The place is full of nepotism, as mothers/daughters, sisters, husbands/wives, cousins are all working together. The place is run like a dysfunctional high school. Totally unprofessional.
Pros
Casual dress
Cons
Everything else
Wonderful Company-Family Enviornment
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMay 19, 2019
I have worked as an account executive, marketing home health and hospice with MSA, for a little over a year. My territory is very rural, and our reputation in these small towns are wonderful and we are very well known. I cannot say enough about the exceptional patient care we give to both our home health and hospice patients. I have seen it first hand. I have also run into people in the community whose family members have been on our services, and have told me what a pleasure we were to work with. When I am marketing to physicians and facilities, I am marketing something I truly believe in and leave work at the end of the day feeling fulfilled.
Management is also great and understanding. Any problems you may run into, they will work to find a solution for you in a timely manner. I highly recommend working for this company!
Horrible place to work
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMay 18, 2019
Do not apply. Turnover is high. Msa Hospice is an awful and stressful place to work. Management lacks morals and are unethical. Patients are often admitted that are not appropriate. If you value your sanity, then do not apply for employment with Msa Hospice.No advancement opportunities unless you are a nurse. Assigned other jobs not related to what you were hired for. Environment is hostile and uncomfortable. There is no need to report concerns or wrongdoings because once you do you will be blackballed. Do not apply.
Pros
Somewhat flexible
Cons
Management, high turnover, low pay, no room for advancement
Medical Services of America
Data Science Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCMay 16, 2019
This is a company that heavily deals with hospice care. The work was not challenging and it was depressing, when hearing of people dying continuously.
Great environment
Clinical (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 8, 2019
Fast pace. Great work environment. Friendly, caring staff towards patients and each other. Local Management helpful and present. Fast growing. Staff care about the patients. Team works together to care for the Patients. Supportive of each other.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Some days long hours
Software was outdated and slow
Home Health Care Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 1, 2019
There was very little guidance and the software used was very outdated slow to operate. Also, the workload was very sporadic and not enough hours for me.
Pros
Independent - Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours
Hostile working environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 11, 2019
Not a good place to work. Long hours. Low pay. Expected to work 10-12 hours or more a day on salary. Corporate talks a good talk but bottom line is all about money. Staff is disposable
Pros
Patients
Cons
Everything else
Look beneath the surface
RN (Former Employee) –  FloridaApril 3, 2019
Office staff are supportive, administrative are NOT, make me look good is her mantra, very high expectations, low pay, Never any raises, census is unstable, Buyer Beware..
Pros
The field staff nurses were great.
Cons
Everything you say and do is Micromanaged
Fast paced Healthcare environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 27, 2019
MSA is a fast paced healthcare environment. There are many different service lines that you can work within. Many promotions come within house and there are many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities, Friendly Work Environment, Great Culture
Don't waste your time
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 26, 2019
Most nurses do care about the patients, but unable to give the best care due to owners' penny pinching and lack of experience running a company. No raises, will not offer salaries in line with industry standards, skimp on supplies (clinical and office). No real training. Expected to do your job and if you show a little bit of competence, another job as well, but don't expect to be compensated.
Pros
Most clinical staff care about the patients
Cons
No raises, increased responsibility, no employee recognition, little to no training, stressed out clinical staff leads to poor patient care
A good Business place to work
MEDICAL BILLING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SC 29071March 3, 2019
I arrive to work at 7am and boot up my computer. Check all my emails and prioritorize my work schedule. This wway I learn to divide my workload to the mornings and afternoon schedules and make it easier to follow through. Also I can manage my time better! Work place culture is mixed but always professional and polite! My hardest part of the job is when the company changes software. It can sometimes be veery difficult. My most enjoyable moments at this company is when they have parties throughout the year for birthdays, holidays, etc. They go all out! Lots of fun!
Pros
Very good training by in-staff
Cons
Need more bathrooms in the facility due to lots of personell
Just run!
Field Nurse (Former Employee) –  Northwest FloridaFebruary 22, 2019
When I first started, I was excited for the position. That excitement quickly crashed down around me! The management is AWFUL! They really don't care about their employees, but they sure make it seem like that on the surface. The managers talk about other stuff behind their backs to other staff members.... to turn around and do the same thing with that staff member about the one they just talked to. Very unprofessional.
Pros
Freedom to some what make your own schedule as a field nurse
Cons
Management, poor work/home life balance
Good start for first time home health experience
Pta home health care (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, SCJanuary 29, 2019
Working at MSA I gained some great knowledge and for the most part enjoyed working with some wonderful co-workers. Prior management when first hired was great and really cared about growing the company and at the same time cared about employee morale. After local management and corporate management changed hands, the company was no longer a pleasant place to work. Morale quickly left the work place and was replaced with stressful energy throughout the office and in the field. Retention was lost and employees started to leave the company.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medical Services of America. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight