Medical University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

High turn over rate.
Registered Sleep Technologist ll (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 12, 2018
Think before you work there. You may have to get a second job or be asked to work a lot of overtime. Don’t question the supervisory staff or you may need to get another job.
Great Job, Meh Wages
Chemist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 5, 2018
My experience at MUSC has been phenomenal, but they just cannot compete as an employer when it comes to private institutions. MUSC has great benefits, but it's still a public sector job. Until SC restructures its pay bands, don't expect competitive wages!
MUSC is a great place to work for, great benefits and flexible hours if needed.
Clinical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 5, 2018
I enjoy my position at MUSC, I am going on 25 years on one job. The staff I work with are pretty awesome, they are like my second family away from home. It is a learning hospital and I have learned so much in my 25 years of working at this University.
Cma
Certified Medical Assistant, AAMA (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 5, 2018
Love my job and the people I work with. This job means a lot to me and the care I give my patients and families. MUSC care for there employees and the people we serve on a daily basis.
fast pace
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 4, 2018
The telephone can be a bit stressful due to people calling the department but was given the wrong office. Received a minimum of service calls. The different bld. locations were sometimes confusing because MUSC is comprised of many entities.
Pros
Advantages of working for such a Well known Hospital
Cons
MUSC so big even when you worked here you are still loss within the department
Poor Management and Insecure Faculty Leadership
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 24, 2018
A typical workday was between 8-5. The day consists of writing, reading, and analyzing data. Recruitment of clinical research participants and subsequent assessments were conducted when necessary. Poor Management of research teams and insecure, disorganized faculty in leadership positions.
Pros
Autonomy in my work
Cons
Blatant disrespect in front of colleagues
Typical day at work
MEDICAL/ CLINICAL LABORATORY ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Charleston, scAugust 21, 2018
Registering patients for lab, procedures, surgery, and admission. Assisting patient to and from different departments. Helping patient to feel comfortable while they are here.
Pros
enjoying working in my area
Cons
co-workers are not team players
Level 1 Trauma Center and focused on patient care
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 19, 2018
With an extensive number of specalties and being a Level 1 Trauma center MUSC handles both Inpatient and Emergent cases as the day progresses. There is no limit to the numbers of patients who might receive care on a daily basis with 24 hour staffing and a culture that cares.
Fast paced, little stressful at times; enjoyable place to work
Therapeutic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 8, 2018
Pay was decent, traffic was bad, good co-workers. laid back place to work. I left because of a long commute. Most charge nurses were optimum a few left much to be desired.
Stressful
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 6, 2018
The work/life balance was difficult to achieve based on the hours and stress involved. The salary wasnt as competitive as other organizations in the area, but MUSC appears to offer higher benefits.
Caring, helpful people. Inspired to thrive.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 4, 2018
State of the art facility. Many chances for advancements. Training readily available. Great benefits. Medical, retirement program. The facility has a large amount of medical colleges in the complex. There is something for everyone.
Pros
Great Benefits, Retirement fund
A rewarding experience
Communications Specialist 111 (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 4, 2018
Understanding that I was the first contact for outside callers and that they were either in physical or mental distress, worried about a family member that was missing and may be an inpatient, calling for info on post surgery patient, etc., and knowing just how important my response and tone of voice was to their need to be heard, feel respected and attended to, was a top priority for me.
Learning over 40 different emergency call classifications and ability to respond with the correct protocol, within 10 seconds, was daunting at times. Thanks to our constant training, practice scenarios and team cooperation, working in the Communication Call Center was a very rewarding and fufilling experience. I truly enjoyed my 12 years in that department.
Pros
Planned and surprise morale boosters. Employee comradary and back up.
Cons
For me, none really.
Wonderful Place to Work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 2, 2018
Though it is a very large facility, the collaboration and teamwork at MUSC manages to give you the experience of being at a fast-paced, competitive healthcare system while also encouraging personalized one-on-one time with those in higher positions.
Summary
Administrative Assistant/FelIowship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 30, 2018
I worked there for many years and due to bad management was pushed out. I would love to return, but they need to upgrade the management team. Also, they need to offer free parking.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 27, 2018
Helped patients on a daily basis with their scheduling their appointments, insurance, and payment. Provided assistance for the families visiting their loved one while in the hospital. In the office setting I was able to assist various clinicians with their daily office needs.
Pros
meeting new people every day
Cons
the drive to and from work due to traffic
Fast paced environment
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 26, 2018
MUSC is a fast paced environment and can sometimes be stressful but for the most part it is a collaborative effort between the doctors, nurses,and PCTs.
wonderful place to work
RN II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 24, 2018
I miss this place so much- once you work here you are spoiled in comparison to other hospitals. I only left for my soon to be husband. Light patient load, nice equipment, always stocked, everyone valued patient safety and communicated wonderfully. Made the job a peach.
Pros
management cares
Cons
parking issues
Horrible
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 21, 2018
Couldn’t believe how horrible the management and staffs behavior was. I was refused to be trained, discriminated against, and had the worst experience of my life. Prepare to leave work crying everyday.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Staff Attitudes, very belittling, unorganized
Working to provide the best patient care
Registered EEG Technologist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 17, 2018
This a job that requires a lot of dedication to patient care, physician interaction, and shift work. The shift work is a lot of nights, weekends, and holidays. The shift work is negatively affecting my family life because I have two young children.
Rewarding and motivsting
Research Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 17, 2018
The Medical University of South Carolina offers an incredible and diverse range of positions for everyone. With highly motivated and top tier research and medical staff, you will be exceptionally pleased!
Pros
Great bennefits
Cons
High Turnover