Medical University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

State employee
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 25, 2018
I would not recommend this company to anyone other than interns, mid levels or residents. The state of south Carolina doesn't pay their state employees well at all. We even recently had an employee that worked in administration for 5 years and never received a raise. If you are state employee looking to transfer here, stay away.
Pros
Hours of operation
Cons
Pay, raises, anything monetary.
Highly productive, innovative work environment
Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 23, 2018
Fantastic environment to think, and produce. Well supported environment for innovation. The Department chairs look to provide researchers and clinicians opportunities to work together and provide intellectual interaction.
Pros
Support, Good management, Clear vision and mission
Cons
Salary could be a little better
Good work environment
Phlebotomist, Inpatient and Outpatient Services (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 18, 2018
Overall MUSC is a good place to work. I love my coeworkers. Things could be a little more organized and streamlined, but all in all I love what I do and helping patients.
very challenging..the better I did, the more responsibilities I was given
Client Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 14, 2018
I enjoyed learning the idiosyncrasies of Human Leukocyte Antigen testing, The more I was able to accomplish, the more responsibilities I was given. Very Challenging and Rewarding work.
Pros
excellent benefits and work experience
Cons
unable to work with school schedule
Good Balance
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 13, 2018
A typical day at work is 8 hours, the call schedule is fair and flexible. The most enjoyable part of this job is work/life balance. It is the best it has even been for my nursing career.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Downtime
Fast paced, lots of changes
Registered Nurse - Primary Role (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 9, 2018
12hr RN shifts. Constant changes in patient care and management. Further career options are offered and they do offer tuition assistance. Management says they have your back but that's hit or miss. Lots of extra demands. PTO is good.
Pros
Pto, shift differential
Cons
Poor communication and management
Program Coordinator
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 9, 2018
State employee mentality, do as much as you need in order to not be fired but no more than that. If you work harder, you get nothing additional. So you learn to just get by.
Pros
Stable
Cons
No advancement
Fast Paced.
Representative, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 8, 2018
Lots of information to retain in my department. Coworkers are extremely helpful. Manager is great. Very little room for advancement. Teamwork is exceptional.
Pros
Work from Home.
Cons
No Advancement
Radiation Therapy Clinical Rotation
Radiation Therapy Student (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 30, 2018
At this site I was able to learn from numerous licensed radiation therapists. Each shared valuable knowledge about treatment technique and progressing in the field
Incredible Pediatric Cardiology team
Pediatric Cardiology, PC ICU Step-Down, RN (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 29, 2018
The Pediatric Cardiology interdisciplinary team at The Medical University of South Carolina are an amazing group of professionals to work with. I would send family to this specialized team if need be.
Pros
Close to downtown Charleston and the beaches!
Cons
Hospital area floods, low RN pay
A fulfilling job to help those after surgery or experiencing illness.
Patient Care Technician II - Digestive Diseases (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 24, 2018
I assisted patients with ambulation, toileting and whatever was needed to get patients back on their feet. I assisted with dressing changes. emptying of drains, etc.
Productive workplace
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 22, 2018
I've learned that it's always best to put your best foot forward. A typical work day is usually pretty hectic. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that what I do impacts the lives of others.
Political
Anaplastology Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 22, 2018
This is a research institution - focus is on science. Researchers are often passionate about their work and can be quite demanding, even with lower level employees.
benefits
Good State Job
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 15, 2018
MUSC is a good employer with minimal opportunities for growth. You will find the good and the bad here just like any other organization. State retirement benefits are good.
Great work environment
Research Specialist of Neuroscience (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 12, 2018
Fun and a relaxed atmosphere filled with dedicated staff all working together to achieve a common goal. Benefits were outstanding however pay does lack in terms of Lab technician/lab managers and the pay ceiling is low. HR takes their sweet time approving raises and promotions.
Great enviroment
Registered Respiratory Therapist II (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 9, 2018
Loved being in this hospital for so long. It really broke my heart to have to leave. Department very family oriented and I remain close to many of my coworkers from there. I learned something new daily and was constantly pushed to expand knowledge base.
Pros
Family friendly, education
Cons
Training residents
Innovation is sought out
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 6, 2018
MUSC always strives for new ways in patient care. Whether its medicine or the facilities the hospital is continues to be leading in way in future advancements. The company will ask for your ideas to help this process.
Pros
Great environment to work in.
Cons
traffic
Would stay if I could have
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 5, 2018
I enjoyed working at MUSC as an RN. It was a great working environment for new nurses. The learning environment was very positive. I would have loved have stayed at MUSC if I did not have to relocate.
Medical University of South Carolina Review
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 24, 2018
MUSC is a great place to work and learn and provides many opportunities for an individual to do both at the same time. However, after working here for around 7 years I continue to be disappointed by the same problems the medical university has dealt with for years. There are by far too many layers of management for anything to get done efficiently. I believe this creates a barrier for any real solutions to the problems to be put in place. I also believe MUSC could pay their employees more. Anytime I ever meet someone who says they almost went to work for MUSC and they ended up not doing so, it was because of money.
Pros
Work/life balance, learning opportunities, looks good on a resume
Cons
Too many layers of managment, pay
Great company!
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 18, 2018
Nice place to work. Always something to learn. Opportunity to work with other people every day. More flexible schedule. Great staff to work with. Great management team.