Medical University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

A productive place to work,helpful,loving
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SC Ashely TowerNovember 13, 2018
Love working at MUSC. It a fun place to be at an there are really helpful to others need to.They are also concern about how things going on with you on the job an with your life as well.
Great Company to Work
Field Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 30, 2018
I worked as a Field Engineer for this company for 5.5 years. I worked with some great people. It was a relaxed atmosphere. I would go back in a heartbeat if I moved back to South Carolina.
Investigational Pharmacy
Investigational Drug Services, Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 29, 2018
Great place, knowledgeable, community driven, accepts persons from other states that are looking for options that will prolong and or improve quality of life
Pros
beautiful place
Fast paced, professional healthcare environment
MEDICAL ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 26, 2018
Enjoyed the multiple years of working at MUSC Hospital for inpatient and outpatient services. Team work and collaboration was above par. It was a pleasure to be surrounded by peer professionals who willingly acknowledged my contribution to daily, high-volume, fast-paced patient care activities.
Great hospital. Stressful at times.
RN Adult Medical Surgical Float Pool (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 24, 2018
Good large teaching hospital with great compensation/benefits package. They make an effort to be accommodating with scheduling and maintain safe nurse patient ratios.
Benefits
Cons
Parking
very busy place
Pharmacist in Charge (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 12, 2018
many opportunities are available within many different departments, a very busy hospital with shifts 24 hours and day 7 days a week working environment
21 year and counting
SENIOR EXECUTIVE ADMINSTRATIVE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 10, 2018
I have been employed at MUSC for over 21 years. Many changes have occurred at MUSC during my time here. I have worked my way up from entry level to my current position as a Senior Executive Administrative Coordinator.
Great place to learn about the medical field
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaOctober 3, 2018
I start my day out with getting all the information on my patient's, and get with their nurses to make sure I have gotten all the correct information to do my job. Then I get all the vitals, make sure nothing has changed with the patient's and take care of their needs such as bathing, bathroom and eating needs. I have learned that all patient's needs different things for their needs and for being happy. I didn't have no problems with management and enjoy working with them. The hardest part of the job for me is when I am sent to a different floors to help out, because I know my floor and where everything is, and most of the patient's. I enjoy working with the patient's and helping out where I can.
Pros
Insurance from the 1st day
Cons
Being floated from floor to floor
not the best working environment
Supply Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 24, 2018
MUSC wasn't the ideal place for me to work, low pay very stressful environment. hard work no reward or incentives. however its a moderately decent size hospital, I'm sure it not that way in all areas
Pros
good location
Cons
bad parking
Student
Orthopaedic Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 20, 2018
My time spent at MUSC was great. I worked with many surgeons, engineers and other like-minded students. It is an open community with a well-driven, hard working atmosphere
High turn over rate.
Registered Sleep Technologist ll (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 12, 2018
Think before you work there. You may have to get a second job or be asked to work a lot of overtime. Don’t question the supervisory staff or you may need to get another job.
Great Job, Meh Wages
Chemist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 5, 2018
My experience at MUSC has been phenomenal, but they just cannot compete as an employer when it comes to private institutions. MUSC has great benefits, but it's still a public sector job. Until SC restructures its pay bands, don't expect competitive wages!
MUSC is a great place to work for, great benefits and flexible hours if needed.
Clinical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 5, 2018
I enjoy my position at MUSC, I am going on 25 years on one job. The staff I work with are pretty awesome, they are like my second family away from home. It is a learning hospital and I have learned so much in my 25 years of working at this University.
Cma
Certified Medical Assistant, AAMA (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 5, 2018
Love my job and the people I work with. This job means a lot to me and the care I give my patients and families. MUSC care for there employees and the people we serve on a daily basis.
fast pace
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 4, 2018
The telephone can be a bit stressful due to people calling the department but was given the wrong office. Received a minimum of service calls. The different bld. locations were sometimes confusing because MUSC is comprised of many entities.
Pros
Advantages of working for such a Well known Hospital
Cons
MUSC so big even when you worked here you are still loss within the department
Poor Management and Insecure Faculty Leadership
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 24, 2018
A typical workday was between 8-5. The day consists of writing, reading, and analyzing data. Recruitment of clinical research participants and subsequent assessments were conducted when necessary. Poor Management of research teams and insecure, disorganized faculty in leadership positions.
Pros
Autonomy in my work
Cons
Blatant disrespect in front of colleagues
Typical day at work
MEDICAL/ CLINICAL LABORATORY ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Charleston, scAugust 21, 2018
Registering patients for lab, procedures, surgery, and admission. Assisting patient to and from different departments. Helping patient to feel comfortable while they are here.
Pros
enjoying working in my area
Cons
co-workers are not team players
Level 1 Trauma Center and focused on patient care
Certified Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 19, 2018
With an extensive number of specalties and being a Level 1 Trauma center MUSC handles both Inpatient and Emergent cases as the day progresses. There is no limit to the numbers of patients who might receive care on a daily basis with 24 hour staffing and a culture that cares.
Fast paced, little stressful at times; enjoyable place to work
Therapeutic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 8, 2018
Pay was decent, traffic was bad, good co-workers. laid back place to work. I left because of a long commute. Most charge nurses were optimum a few left much to be desired.
Stressful
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 6, 2018
The work/life balance was difficult to achieve based on the hours and stress involved. The salary wasnt as competitive as other organizations in the area, but MUSC appears to offer higher benefits.