Medical University of South Carolina

Medical University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

United States623 reviews

I love my dept and coworkers but I should be paid more

I love working here, but I’m not adequately compensated. I’m looking for another job solely to see if having an offer will force them to give me what I’m worth. I’m not sure it will work.

Hard to move up

I've been in my position for 2.5 years and I'm constantly getting thrown new tasks and responsibilities but no pay raise or promotion. Great place to learn and network.

Medical University of South Carolina insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Great place to work but stressful job

Great hospital that cares about their patients. Like most hospitals, you are overworked and underpaid but management really cares about their employees. The worst part about working here is the lack of parking, it takes about 5 years to get a space in a garage.

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities for educational advancement

Cons

Parking

Good start to gain experience

There’s no growth if you’re a medical office assistant unless you go to a whole different department. There’s no support from management when short staffed.

Great for learning and gaining experience

Had the opportunity to train on multiple lab setting and in phlebotomy. Everyone is willing to train and help advance. However the pay is not very great, less diverse inpatient areas are difficult to work in because you can see how staff and patients alike are treated if they are different from the majority. Some staff in specific departments can be very cold and distant, and do not support an inclusive or friendly work environment. Can be quite unorganized, not tidy, poor communication from management, shady/unclear in conversations about salary. Great place to get your foot in the door if you want to work in direct patient care or the lab setting

Pros

No micromanaging, pretty relaxed environment

Cons

Pay is not good, awful options for parking/shuttles, lots of changes with hours/shifts, poor transparency about job expectations during interview process, lateral transitions are fairly easy but not exactly for promotions

Great place to learn and be supported. Love my unit

Depending on your unit in the hospital and who your manager is, the experience can differ greatly. You are always learning and doing new, different and challenging things. Depending on the unit, but usually teamwork is great.

Pros

great teamwork

Cons

short breaks, low staff

Great professional environment

Professional, accommodating, little to no drama, and fantastic benefits. Ergonomics is taken seriously and my boss regularly asks if I need anything. I don't have a single negative thing to say. Directions are clear cut and well explained...there is no guessing, questioning, or untold expectations. I have sufficient materials to complete my job. Parking can be somewhat challenging and you have to pay monthly for use of garages.

Pros

Benefits, low stress

Cons

Parking.

Take the knowledge and RUN!!

It is an okay job to get experience and use it somewhere else. Honestly they do not compensate well unless you are on a higher level of the company. It is sad how high the turn over rate is across the board. Instead of compensating the people already there, they would rather give sign on bonuses to new hires and pay traveller's triple what they pay regular employees. The money you make will not be enough to live in the area unless you have roommates. It is a teaching hospital, so learn what you can and move on. Also be prepared to pay for parking.

It's not what you know, it's who you know at MUSC.

The organization if full of incompetent people and dishonest leadership. If you are a high performer, don't take a job here, because they will not value your work. If you already have a job, don't leave it to take a job here.

Pros

Charleston is a great city

Cons

Terrible facilities and low pay

High Turnover / Horrible Management

Severely understaffed even before Covid and it’s only gotten worse . They do not compensate well and continue to buy more medical buildings when they don’t have the staff for the ones that they have. All they see is dollar signs and if you say something you get punished and possibly demoted . They need to pay better , the cost of living in this area and the job don’t add up . They have lost a lot of great staff

Non productive work environment

Low pay and not nearly enough people on IT teams to support hospitals all around South Carolina. Constantly purchasing and making new hospitals without the staff to support them.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Under paid and under staffed

Great Place To Work

There is nothing to complain about, to be honest. There used to be issues where some of the systems were concerned but once those were worked out, there was no position I held here that made me feel like I was wasting my time. Just do your job and do it to the best of your ability. Your efforts are noticed and rewarded.

No advancement opportunities

This is a routine position. What you get when you are hired is all you will ever have. No promotions are offered and no raises are offered. Your hours are your own, which is nice. The health insurance is nice, but NOT company paid. You have to pay for parking.

Pros

Job Security

Cons

No advancement possibility. No pay raise. No promotions.

Friendly co workers, fun place to work and opportunities for growth

MUSC is a good place to work for. They care about their patients and put their employees first. There are a lot of opportunities for growth. You can work for the university, hospital or physicians. All 3 have different benefits. Of course working for the university is better because you get all the holidays off with the students. The pay is average compared to other hospitals in the area. Where I work my co workers and managers are friendly and helpful. There is a lot of teamwork.

Benefits

Cons

The pay is average compared to other places

What is it worth to you?

Pros- once you get your foot in the door, you can advance (only if you have a bachelor's with 3 years experience minimum), or you can move around in different positions. coworkers are great and it is very flexible for schedules (depending on position). really good benefits, so if you are okay with being underpaid, in exchange for benefits, this job would fit youcons- overworked, underpaid. if you have anything under a bachelor's, good luck to you! if you have a bacherlor's, good luck if you have under 3 years of experience... if you have a bachelor's with experience, good luck with being well underpaid! have to pay for parking downtown!!

Pros

benefits; coworkers; work/home life

Cons

short breaks, underpaid and still have to pay for parking in DT!!!

Management is very poor.

Management is poor at MUSC. The disconnect is vast. Nursing week they gave a 2.5 ounce bag of Smartfood Popcorn. Insulting.When I resigned, I was unable to have the HR or benefits dept. provide me with COBRA letter so I could have benefits without interruption. No one ever returned my calls or e-mails. Completely irresponsible and disrespectful to former employees. Don't work here unless you feel you really want to work in a teaching hospital.

Pros

Easy to self schedule and request time off.

Cons

Short staffed, difficult to find time to have breaks, much less time enough to eat. Management is basically useless.

Good regular job.

Patient access is M-F 9-5. If you're looking for a decent job, to come in do your part and go home I would recommend it. The managers are good at their job, the training at the start is a little lacking so you'll need to buddy up with someone in your department to learn the real ins and outs.

fun work place

I really liked the environment and the staff. a good learning experience. I think that this place is a good fit for anyone looking for experience and dedication

Poor leadership

I have worked for musc for quiet sometime and i can tell you that the leadership here is very poor. They care more about money than employees or patient care. They find every excuse not to give raises and there’s absolutely no diversity(minorities). They will eliminate positions claiming that the are having financial difficulties. I wouldn’t recommend it to my worst enemy.

Difficult

Very hard to be a technician. The pay is horrible. However, it is usually a building block job for later careers so it is a good starting place for those interested in healthcare.

musc

It a good place to get your foot in the door for medical stuff but HORRIBLE management, poor pay, don't care about employees They Don't resolve drama! Thats why i left! The good employee get in trouble but the bad employees dont!

Pros

SOMETIMES they fed us not very much though

Cons

Drama, Drama & more drama.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medical University of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight