Medical University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Featured review
Medical University of South Carolina selected this as a representative review
Professional and fair place to work. Co-workers work well togethet.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 18, 2018
Loved workplace and working with co-workers. Management had open door policy. Excellent benefit package. Family oriented organization who genually cares about their patients and employees.
Pros
Could make purchases on credit by using badge, i.e. lunches, gift shop, and able to credit for large purchases during holidays from outside vendors.
Cons
Can't think of any.
Great Pay, Sink or Swim....
CMA (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 2, 2018
Excellent pay, outstanding professional experience, working here is like taking an advanced fast paced continued education course. This depends on your area of work. Providers, management, and lead staff liking you are a must, perceivably cross anyone and prepair to look for another job. Eat lots of crow with your mouth shut, and work hard, you'll be fine. Eat in your car at certain offices, Noone wants you in the break room. You are a number until you are accepted if ever. Takes plenty of patience to be finally counted in. Few make the cut. High turnover but an experience to be had. Parking is horrible. Lead CMA staff can expect you to fail. These ppl can cause you to fail as well, They have no listed actual title but have almost equivalent power to assistant managers. Highly intelligent, fast paced learners, who adjust well to different environments, manipulative enough to fit in and charm other staff are ideal for this position. Have the ability to change like chameleon, especially if you are float staff, and you will make the cut. But, be advised... have a backup plan.
Pros
Experience, Pay, and Benefits
Cons
Your just a number with few parking options
Avoid the customer service department
Collection Rep (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 7, 2019
The customer service department is by far the worst department to get a start in. The manager is very narcissistic and so are the minion supervisor's in the department. The turn over rate is the highest out of the whole building. There is very little chance for advancement unless you stay on the manager's good side. I witnessed her black ball employees from transfer, contact human resources to stop advancement and harass people of color daily in her department. If the department changed management it would be a great place to work. I learned that company politics play a huge role in this department and company, the workplace culture is less to non. A typical day here is chaotic as the day flows based on the managers feelings, no one in the department really cared for her but all were too afraid to report the manager out of fear of retaliation. No one in upper management cared enough to investigate the complaints made about the customer service department management. My advice... STAY FAR AWAY FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE IF YOU CAN. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping patients in need and hearing over the phone, how much they value your assistance.
YOUVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Benefits
Cons
Office politics, Working under narcisstic management, Micromanagement
great expererience
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  171 ashley ave charleston sc 29425January 21, 2019
overall great experience, I enjoyed working with my co workers
I enjoyed helping my patients. Great benefits
My day at work was always busy, The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with my patients. Helping them through the day
Pros
management wasnt so great
Cons
ive learned a lot through the years
Great job! Difficult commute.
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 20, 2019
I provided part-time radiation oncology physician backup coverage at MUSC satellite facilities in Georgetown, SC and Orangeburg, SC. Although the 10 hour clinic workday was very gratifying, the 2-3 hour commute proved too demanding.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Long commute from my home
The pay and benefits are good
Appointment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 4, 2019
I enjoyed working for a company that is truly concerned about the well-being of the patients. MUSC is very progressive and always teaching the best ways to care for the patients.
Pros
Company benefits
Cons
short lunch time
Great hospital. Stressful at times.
RN Adult Medical Surgical Float Pool (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 24, 2018
Good large teaching hospital with great compensation/benefits package. They make an effort to be accommodating with scheduling and maintain safe nurse patient ratios.
Benefits
Cons
Parking
Caring, helpful people. Inspired to thrive.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 4, 2018
State of the art facility. Many chances for advancements. Training readily available. Great benefits. Medical, retirement program. The facility has a large amount of medical colleges in the complex. There is something for everyone.
Pros
Great Benefits, Retirement fund
Great Job, Meh Wages
Chemist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 5, 2018
My experience at MUSC has been phenomenal, but they just cannot compete as an employer when it comes to private institutions. MUSC has great benefits, but it's still a public sector job. Until SC restructures its pay bands, don't expect competitive wages!
Rn
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 25, 2018
I feel like the culture is made up of the good ole boy system. You cannot move up unless you know someone. You would always here people say in order to get a raise or move up you have to leave and return years later. This is very disheartening for people who have dedicated their lives to higher education and here someone was advanced due to who they knew and not what they achieved. Again, the good ole boy system. If you have the knowledge, skills, drive and mostly education you should be rewarded.
Stressful
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 6, 2018
The work/life balance was difficult to achieve based on the hours and stress involved. The salary wasnt as competitive as other organizations in the area, but MUSC appears to offer higher benefits.
Very disillusioned by this academic institution
Senior Director of Patient Accounting Services (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 26, 2018
Very disillusioned by this academic institution Management had difficulty driving quality patient care due to the many hidden agendas. I believe that a stronger team would have yielded much better results.
Benefits
Cons
Could not drive quality due to too many hidden agendas.
Update
Other administrative (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 18, 2018
Ask about PTO Policy and ESL policy in advance as it needs to be revised. MUHA brings you Employee Perks & Discounts. MUSC offer the full suite of insurance benefits including health, dental, vision, disability, life and long term care. Additionally, they administer seven different retirement plans
Pros
Employee Perks & Discounts
Cons
PTO Policy
Job
Environmental Services/Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 2, 2018
Medical
Dental
Vision
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Commuter Benefits
Wellness Program
Employee Assistance Program
Life Insurance for Associates and Eligible Dependents
Short Term Disability (STD) and Long Term Disability (LTD)
Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Discount Marketplace
401(k)
And other voluntary benefits
Best teaching hospital, staff appreciation needs work
Registered Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 13, 2018
MUSC is truly one of the best hospitals I've ever had the pleasure of working. Amazing facility, incredible instructors, and great pay/benefits. Where they seem to lack, however, is in one of the most important areas (in my humble opinion) -- staff appreciation. I'm not referring to the staff members that are recognized monthly for their "above and beyond" work ethic.. that's an aspect where MUSC excels as well! I'm speaking on behalf of the staff that struggles -- whether it be with sickness, family issues or general troubles outside of work, management at MUSC seems to lack empathy (much less understanding) for their employees in this regard. No matter how great the other benefits are, if your employer constantly makes you feel guilty for life circumstances that are most often inevitable, it will cause even the best employees to feel overworked and under-valued.
State employee
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 25, 2018
I would not recommend this company to anyone other than interns, mid levels or residents. The state of south Carolina doesn't pay their state employees well at all. We even recently had an employee that worked in administration for 5 years and never received a raise. If you are state employee looking to transfer here, stay away.
Pros
Hours of operation
Cons
Pay, raises, anything monetary.
Highly productive, innovative work environment
Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 23, 2018
Fantastic environment to think, and produce. Well supported environment for innovation. The Department chairs look to provide researchers and clinicians opportunities to work together and provide intellectual interaction.
Pros
Support, Good management, Clear vision and mission
Cons
Salary could be a little better
Awesome Employer
Iahcsmm Certified Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 16, 2018
I love Medical University of South Carolina. Great employer, Great benefits, We take pride in health care. One of my best employers yet. I definitely recommend this company.
Pros
Employees and Patients are appreciated
Cons
No cos
Depends on department
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 9, 2018
Low advancement rate, lots of favoritism, unfair hiring practices in some cases. Pay is less than what you would make in the traditional work force. Benefits are okay,
Great place to learn about the medical field
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaOctober 3, 2018
I start my day out with getting all the information on my patient's, and get with their nurses to make sure I have gotten all the correct information to do my job. Then I get all the vitals, make sure nothing has changed with the patient's and take care of their needs such as bathing, bathroom and eating needs. I have learned that all patient's needs different things for their needs and for being happy. I didn't have no problems with management and enjoy working with them. The hardest part of the job for me is when I am sent to a different floors to help out, because I know my floor and where everything is, and most of the patient's. I enjoy working with the patient's and helping out where I can.
Pros
Insurance from the 1st day
Cons
Being floated from floor to floor
Productive and fun workplace
Patient Access Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 27, 2018
Great place to work! Offers Great benefits and great facilities with diverse work groups.Offers work life balance and is rated the #1 hospital in the state according to US News and World Report. Also this organization is rated #1 for Diversity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medical University of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight