Medieval Times Employee Reviews

Pass
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Buena Park, CAMarch 12, 2019
This place isn't a career unless you're focused on upper-management and administration. It's a great first job or place to earn acting experience for those looking to break into the biz.
Not worth the stress and money
Server (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 6, 2019
This is a very stressful job. The show is very fast paced and the meal goes in a very specific order. If anyone sits down late, it throws you off and you get very behind very quickly. Management is very poor. Servers are treated very poorly. Servers are overworked and often tipped poorly. It is commonplace to be stiffed, no matter how good of a server you are. There are many tourists from countries who do not tip, and many people who leave maybe a few dollars because they’ve already spent a fortune on tickets and drinks. Servers who work three shows in a row on weekends are forced to clock in early and take their 20 minute break before they even start working and are not given any other breaks. The average server only works one to two days a week because there are so many servers, unless it’s a holiday because every server if forced to work every holiday. I did not celebrate a single holiday with my family in the time I worked here. Highly do not recommend working here.
Pros
Free tickets
Cons
Lack of hours, poor tips, poor management, lack of breaks
Good job for teens
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 28, 2019
The pay is not competitive, and if you work in a sales position, you don't make commission on your sales, which doesn't give any incentive to sell more. The people I worked with were fun and made the job more entertaining.
Pros
Free admission to show, discounted tickets. Fun people
Cons
Pay, working nights
horrible
CASH OFFICE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJanuary 22, 2019
the people especially the managers are rude. they spend their time making fun of people and workers they "don't like".. if you don't fit in with their needs, they treat you like trash. made horrible jokes about a wonderful girl that worked there who has mental issues, kept saying they hope she kills herself..
not worth it.
Pros
Cons
all
Fun Place
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 5, 2019
I had a great experience at Medieval Times it was awesome the people the employees the whole scenery the different kinds of people that you meet and all the different stories that you come across it's very awesome
Fun environment
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 24, 2018
The job is fun but the pay needs to be more competitive. They do not offer annual raises. Good benefits, you get to work in a castle. They need to restructure the sales and marketing team with new titles and expectations.
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Not enough pay
Terrible management. Terrible culture. Very unprofessional.
Actor/ stuntman (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCNovember 3, 2018
Management employs humiliation, belittlement, and abuse as a means of keeping everyone in line. If you work here, and you are either sick, injured, or just stretched way too thin(it is a very very physically demanding job. And they will push you passed your limit.) You will be ridiculed and embarrassed intentionally in front of your coworkers.

They do offer training to advance to become a knight. However, you will have to practically beg to be trained every single day. They will drag their feet on training for a minimum of 8 months and tell you it's taking so long because you just "don't want it enough." (it's their favorite mantra) take the initiative too much and you will be disciplined for simply doing what you've been told. It is for this reason that most knights in training wind up leaving before their training is complete. Those who stick with it and see it through to the very end, are made to believe that their knighthood with medieval times is all they will ever be good at. This ensures they are afraid to leave. The training is more of a mean-spirited initiation, but the ridicule is not temporary. Guys of 8-9 years experience as a knight face it every day. The guys that truly love their job as a knight, truly believe the fantasy. They don't have the perspective that they are actors. They behave and talk as if they are actually knights in armor fighting for a country.

Politely giving two weeks notice will result in two weeks of hour cuts and even more ridicule + no rehire status.

So! Long story short, are you looking for a job with minimal pay, manipulative
  more... and spiteful, management? Are you prepared to give it your all for a bare minimum of a year to be promoted and be treated as if you "just don't want it enough"? You found it! Welcome to Medieval Times! Enjoy the tournament!  less
Pros
Tell someone you ride horses for a living and they will be briefly interested in hearing more.
Cons
Pay management culture job security safety etc
Best job experience ive had
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDOctober 18, 2018
I loved this job and didn't want to leave, id go back in a heartbeat, it was fun and exciting also fast paced so you really felt like you were working hard and feeling good. The people were friendly and really great to know and work with. Never boring and always something to do and that's what I love. My manager was the best she was fair and just awesome you could go to her for anything. Amazing place.
Pros
Fun, exciting, great coworkers
Cons
Not the best pay, needed more hours
fun work place
Knight (Former Employee) –  Buena Park, CAOctober 6, 2018
i was a place to gain stable chores and horse training, on the daily team building. Being around horses building confidences and experience on horse back riding.
Pros
free lunches after every show
Typical Day
Gift Shop Lead (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 22, 2018
A typical summer day is very fun theatrical and fast paced. Everything goes by a schedule! You wear a costume and stay in character for the guest! Throughout the day you sell products that's offered in the giftshop!
Pros
Summer you get alot of hours
Cons
Winter is very slow you may need a part-time job on the side
My frist job !!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJuly 27, 2018
This job was amazing!! Met so many great people and this was the job that made me out going!!. You get to watch the job for a little bit while you do your job. As a cashier we were put close together and got to talk to one another. I had friends in different departments. It was great I love it. The pay its not what you would expect here in Orlando, fl.
Pros
Everything.
Cons
Low pay.
simple day at work.
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJuly 7, 2018
I go in get dressed in uniform and cover tattoos. Find my section on the board count how many people and set up that station. Help anyone else as well. Management is a big role they help if we're down servers and make sure guest are happy as well as the show is running smoothly. The job is just quick paced with making sure you do everything on time in order. Carrying heavy pitches and trays of food, moving quickly is the hardest part. Seeing guest happy and enjoying the show is the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Food given if any left.
Cons
Fast paced and heavy lifting.
Medieval Times is a fun place to work, but not for long.
Photographer and Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJune 8, 2018
Medieval Times is a kids dream come true. You see it when your'e young and instantly you say, I want to work THERE when I grow up. But once you are there, the magic quickly washes away as you see how business practices work in the Castle. Also, due to young hires in some departments, be prepared for a lot of high school-esque drama.
Good to make cash and leave
FOOD SERVER (Current Employee) –  Buena Park, CAJune 4, 2018
Lack of leadership, favoritism, non professional work place. Some mangers are great but the head GM is not. Many illegal practices there as far as employment work breaks and working conditions.
Pros
Quick cash easy shifts.
Cons
No benefits, management
Fun work place
Arena Food & Beverage Server/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJune 3, 2018
Definitely memoreable and enjoyable. They are flexible and are willing to work around schedule for school as well as family caring. It can be a bit stressing but once you get on the roll, it flows like water. All managers and co workers are all friendly and work as a team.
Great place to visit but not to work there
Squire/knight (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJune 2, 2018
Very stressful negative and favored environment... If you are an actor do not work here!! Warning! They do not appreciate everyone or give enough sincere recognition where due especially if you work backstage or in the show.. Very disappointed in my experience there.
Pros
Food, acquisition of new skills like horse riding and learning to sword fight in an arena
Cons
Excessive over precise horse care, don't do it precisely then you get punished, Horse trainers are over protective of stable staff because mainly they can't retain people, who make pathetic $10 ph, Horse trainers are the real decision makers and choose who they favor, This place has a high turnover ratio for so many reasons, it's always the good people who end up quiting or being terminated
Amazing place to work. I mean it's more than just a paying job.
Knight at Medieval Times (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMay 29, 2018
To put on a show everyday for 1,500 people is amazing. Working with those horses was the best part. Learning how to ride and train, manage, feed, shower, and care for horses was something else. You learn how to be responsible and how to really work. Working stalls and what it is to handle a horse. How to perform and do stunts is another great learning experience. It's more than making a paycheck. It's the cheer from your crowd and having little girls smile when they look at you because you're they Knight in Shining Armor. It's a very huge company and I was very fortunate to have worked there.
Pros
Tickets for friends and families, learning how to ride for free
Cons
No personal life. Very demanding job.
0-60 at anytime.
Receiving Clerk/Gift Shop Lead (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 15, 2018
There is no typical day. Some days I receive many shipments, some days I don't at all. On days I receive many shipments, I have to be on my toes and make sure everything is put away correctly and efficiently. On days there's not any deliveries, I have to keep myself busy in case managers see me looking for something to do. I've learned that there's always something to do in maintaining the everyday functions of a castle as well as anything else to better help us keep up those functions. That's the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Communicative
Cons
Lack of growth
Great Place to go lousy place to work
Bartender/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Buena Park, CAMay 11, 2018
At first it was great place to work for but they punished the good manager and replaced them for cheaper unknowledgeable manager. The Schedule was never given on time and often full of mistakes. Supplies where always low or out of stock and there was no support from management in the bar.
Pros
discount
Cons
Managment
fun creative place
Picture taker and Cashier Duties (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75201May 11, 2018
My typical work day consisted of me taking photos of the guest and selling it to them. While working at this company I've learned how to work under pressure. My manager was a great person she was always very understanding when you needed something. If you like the idea of jousting and horses then you would love this place. The hardest part well their was never a hard part it was always a fun time when I worked there definitely when dressing up the guest for their pictures.
Pros
meeting great people
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medieval Times. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight