Medieval Times Employee Reviews in Lyndhurst, NJ

horrible
CASH OFFICE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJanuary 22, 2019
the people especially the managers are rude. they spend their time making fun of people and workers they "don't like".. if you don't fit in with their needs, they treat you like trash. made horrible jokes about a wonderful girl that worked there who has mental issues, kept saying they hope she kills herself..
not worth it.
Pros
Cons
all
Medieval Times is a fun place to work, but not for long.
Photographer and Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJune 8, 2018
Medieval Times is a kids dream come true. You see it when your'e young and instantly you say, I want to work THERE when I grow up. But once you are there, the magic quickly washes away as you see how business practices work in the Castle. Also, due to young hires in some departments, be prepared for a lot of high school-esque drama.
Fun work place
Arena Food & Beverage Server/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJune 3, 2018
Definitely memoreable and enjoyable. They are flexible and are willing to work around schedule for school as well as family caring. It can be a bit stressing but once you get on the roll, it flows like water. All managers and co workers are all friendly and work as a team.
Great place to visit but not to work there
Squire/knight (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJune 2, 2018
Very stressful negative and favored environment... If you are an actor do not work here!! Warning! They do not appreciate everyone or give enough sincere recognition where due especially if you work backstage or in the show.. Very disappointed in my experience there.
Pros
Food, acquisition of new skills like horse riding and learning to sword fight in an arena
Cons
Excessive over precise horse care, don't do it precisely then you get punished, Horse trainers are over protective of stable staff because mainly they can't retain people, who make pathetic $10 ph, Horse trainers are the real decision makers and choose who they favor, This place has a high turnover ratio for so many reasons, it's always the good people who end up quiting or being terminated
Extremely Fun Job
Spotlight Operator (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJ 07071February 21, 2018
Extremely fun place to work. You get to wear a cool costume, get employee discounts on everything, and get to see horses every day. Very fun place to work. Management, however, doesn't seem to care if you are being harassed by any of your fellow employees.
Pros
Discounts, horses, costumes, free food.
working here is fun but tiring
Gift Shop Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJanuary 30, 2018
the job is never dull and every day there are different things to work on and tackle, but it is fun being in character in the medieval setting wearing a costume.
Pros
fun team to work with, small rewards for meeting goals
Cons
sometimes unfair workload, not enough, always have to work holidays and weekends
Great overall but some of the employees are very childish and not much is done about that.
Gift Shop Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJanuary 19, 2018
I love the place, but the staff can be very competitive with each other. The gift shop department was great to work in but some of the employees have lack of respect for each other an sometimes the guest
Pros
Great experience
Cons
no Time to socialize outside of work.
keep to yourself
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJSeptember 16, 2017
lots of drama and pettiness, it is recommended to work there to make quick cash in the arena department, otherwise its not worth it to work there. go in be quiet serve your station and go home.
Fun to work for
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJune 13, 2017
This is a fun place to work for. Make many friends. The show is a 2 hour show so you are working hard those two hours. Tips are usually good. A lot of fun
Pros
Tips
Cons
Tips
Great working environment at a fun yet different company
Marketing & Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJune 6, 2017
Medieval Times prides itself in providing fun and a memorable experience, which it does very well. I often told people who would ask about my job and I'd respond: "I don't feel as if I work; Medieval Times is so much fun that I wouldn't consider it work if I were not getting paid to do a job.
Pros
Selling fun is always fun
Cons
Same storyline can get old, especially with repeat customers
Was fun but management sucked
Cash control (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJune 4, 2017
The atmosphere was fun and enjoyable but the management was more like a bunch of highschoolers then actual adults. Inappropriate jokes constantly. When I brought up a real concern it was brushed aside and that's why I left.
Fun short-term job, awful long-term job
Server (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJApril 27, 2017
They won't pay you well, management is lacking, corporate only thinks up ways to make more money rather than improve guest/employee experience.

Corporate says "add more shows to make money, but don't hire a lot of people, to save money" which means, you'll be stuck doing lots of work for very little pay. Everywhere you look, things could be improved, but thanks to bureaucratic gridlock between middle-management and corporate, nothing gets done.

They're trying to promote an anti-bullying educational matinee for school field trips during the day, already got plenty of negative feedback from both guests and employees.Does taking your 8th grade End-Of-The-Year field trip to a lame anti-bullying show sound like fun to you? I'd rather go to Liberty Science Center or The Smithsonian Institute - fun and educational. Medieval Times already had a fun and educational show about the Middle Ages that the kids and teachers loved and corporate yanked it. Not smart. Left this place for a job that at least has a few good minds working together at the corporate level.
Pros
Fun for the first few months, that's about it.
Cons
Family owned and operated, privately owned company, you do the math
Fun place to work if your into acting.
Customer service/food service (Current Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJApril 25, 2017
Fun atmosphere and great co-workers.. management needs improvement. Very unorganized and difficult system to work in the kitchen. Overall, this place is lacking positive management and kitchen staff.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Poor management team
Fun place
Sales Clerk/Staff Trainer/Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJApril 21, 2017
Fun place to work. Meet new people and become friends. The pay isnt bad starting off. Hours are great doing summer and slow during winter times. Great.
Pros
Food
Cons
Breaks
Working here is like working with family.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJFebruary 1, 2017
Medieval Times was one of my favorite jobs, not many people get to say theirt job was in a castle. (Even if I were just a wench) It is hectic, very fast pace but doesn't take long until you learn the ropes. I learned so much in this job, time management, mixology, inventory, catering to guest, maintaining a fast delivery yet keeping a great relationship with guests, and so many more benefiting skills I was able to pick up.

The management is fun and effective, they made work worthwhile, we were able to constantly excel in out goals while having fun. Our management made sure to reward us when we were doing a great job, and motivated us to do better always. We had goals that were placed to keep our success rates high. Working hard is a piece of cake when the culture where you work is enjoyable. In Medieval Times, there was no such thing as getting left behind. The castle sells out constantly on the weekends and for that we needed full staffs, that meant occasionally sharing cash registers with fellow employees. It was never difficult because we were taught teamwork.
Pros
Free Lunch, Costumes, Good Money
Cons
Short Breaks, Soreness
Management could use some work but the employees culture is great!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJNovember 11, 2016
The Managers are irresponsible but the employees are all incredibly friendly and there's a great team spirit.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with unruly and angry guests who are not satisfied with their service. But the most enjoyable part of the job is when guests are thrilled about their service and the time spent with you.
Pros
Great Co-workers, Fun Environment, flexible schedule
Cons
Bad Managment
one of the best places I've been
Head Stablehand, Show Performer (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJNovember 3, 2016
Working there was a lot of work but it was a fun and and exciting time to work there. Meet some of the best people there. Had fun doing promotional events there.
fun job but it comes with sacrifice
Sound & Lighting (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJSeptember 2, 2016
It is a good job for when your going to school but not a career. Y ou can learn a lot of stuff that you could apply later on in life but you will sacrifice weekends and a lot of your own personal time .
Pros
free food, get to watch the show, interesting encounters
Cons
a lot of mismanagement, weird work hours, work weekends
Once in a lifetime experience and a great atmosphere to work in.
Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJAugust 11, 2016
Learned a great deal both in a professional and personal aspect. Enjoyable and fun atmosphere. Everyone worked together as a team. Everyday was challenging and fun.
Fast passed, fast cash, short hours
food server (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJJune 20, 2016
For the most part I enjoyed working here. It did become stressful when there were tight turn overs but things always seemed to work out. Great way to earn some extra cash. The environment was a little crazy at times, hard to work in the dark and hear customers over loud music. Must be able to work holidays and weekends. There did seem to be some favoritism but all in all not a bad place to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medieval Times. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight