MedMen Employee Reviews

Empty promises, horrible communication
Analytical Chemist (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 10, 2018
This place is a complete mess. My facility is amazing and dedicated to quality and the patient. Corporate is a sham and horrible. People who are not qualified opinions are the only opinion, unqualified people get promotions and raises, hard workers get nothing. Horrible health benefits, cheaper on the market place. Working above and beyond your job description is an always, promised promotions and better conditions and never received anything. Managers are stuck in meetings all day, and the meetings are almost always non-productive. I could go on for ever about how horrible this company is.
Pros
my facility/ team
Cons
everything else
Chaotic Start-up
Hospitality Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 4, 2018
I wouldn’t recommend a career with this company to anybody who has exposure to your typical professional work environment. Communication with each store is non-existent, let alone communication from corporate to the store. Management is simply a title, as you will be managed by nobody. The entire platform MedMen is working off of is unstable, fly by wire, nonsense. Great way to approach cannabis sales as a business model, but no focus on the end goal or employee development.
Growing Pains
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 22, 2018
As a current employee, the negative reviews from people that use to work with the company are in line with the truth and current atmosphere. Combative egos, mismanagement and sexist upper management. Root cause is HR; constant turn over with higher management and job descriptions are written by people who are “out-of-date” combined with the lack of employee training/development.
Pros
Young generation provide a slew of useful perspectives
Cons
Nobody is your “friend”. You’re on your own.
A terrible, oppressive place to work.
BOH Lead (Former Employee) –  DTLASeptember 20, 2018
Medmen represents everything wrong with the legal cannabis industry in California. Employees are treated as numbers on an id badge rather than valuable assets. At Medmen, everything is disposable. From the products that were mistakenly ordered in vast quantities that couldn't be sold, to the employees who were hired en masse at group interviews, Medmen only cares about its own bottom line. Truly a disgraceful company in this industry.
Favoritism
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  OcSeptember 9, 2018
Working for medmen was definitely a learning process on how legal cAnnibis was going to play a role in so.cal. Major lack of communication company wide, managers always look worried and frustrated especially because employees would Ask certain questions and they never have an answer because corporate doesn’t communicate. You weren’t allowed to contact HR or corporate for anything Otherwise the “managers would get in trouble” so it would lead to a write up for you for stepping over the “chain of command”. People are broughtt into manager roles simply because the smoke weed and are “best friends/roommates/cousin” doesn’t matter really what you know it’s who you know. As long as you have someone in a lead position it guarantees you a leadership position.
The company is definitely still growing but if they continue to switch their mentality from “customer service” to being “money hungry Vernon” people will catch on.
I also got a bad taste in my mouth for the company because they stopped all product knowledge training with the companies leaving their employees without any really knowledge themselves unless they went out of their way to pay out of pocket and try it. They continued to bring up how they wanted to be the “Nordstrom store for weed” but in order to accomplish that goal the employees must be taken care of accordingly before those unrealistic notions take course.
Pros
Fellow employees
Cons
Didn’t care about the customer anymore just about hitting their numbers
Great company still needs better communication
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 1, 2018
The management seems to still be developing. Came down for a new position and was given a changed address they don’t properly aware people w/ changes.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Never updated with the new changes
Exciting Start up that is growing faster than I could imagine
Lead Analytical Chemist (Current Employee) –  Mustang, NVAugust 31, 2018
Great environment. Experts is all industries are migrating to the company with the idea to mainstream cannabis with industry standards. Lots of opportunities for experienced professionals as the company expands.
Love-Hate
Sales Associate, Cashier, Budtender (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 23, 2018
Its very unfortunate the way it ended but I learned somethings about the business sides of companies from my last two major employer's that will forever make me a better employee. Communication was my biggest let down while working here, certain rules and procedures wanted by the higher ups weren't always followed by them.
Pros
Knowledge from associates
Cons
consistent rules change without much communication
Run Away
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 23, 2018
MedMen it started out with lies from the beginning. MedMen has zero interest in its employees, its all about how much money the heads can take home. Management treats employees with disrespect and even blocks promotions from happening to be spiteful. They say they care and never reach out, but to be honest its a tatic to make it look like they are willing to help their employees out. It is a straight up lie. At the flag ship store due to many conflicts of interest, especially in managment, lids were put on any issues regarding managements friends. Nepotism plagues this company. I get it hire your friends, but make sure they are compitent first. There is also no product trainig. Most of the employees and managers in the retail stores have no clue about cannabis. Literally no clue, the retail experience does not help you out if you have no idea about the product you are selling. Anyone at the corporate level thinks retail employees are joke. HR is known to investigate their own friends cases.... again conflict of interest much? Also employee concerns are rarely taken care of. MedMen does not promote from with in ever. No matter how much work you do or how you prove yourself don't expect a raise. It wont happen. It looked like a good thing working for MedMen but I was so wrong. This company only cares about their image and how much money they can make.
Pros
Cannabis and co workers
Cons
Everything else
Worst retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2018
I’ve met some amazing people, however the company is growing rapidly and often finds it’s self experiencing set backs. The employees can be treated so much better, with the amount of money the company makes.
Worst experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  LAX West, Hollywood and Abbot Kinney VeniceAugust 17, 2018
We working like a slave moving boxes labeling products taking trash out cleaning bathroom dusting sweeping helping other departments complete their duties like backstocking no brakes only 30 minute lunches if they have time to let you go very low staff I could say it many times 1820s sweatshop Unorganized low staff poor management poor upper management medmen is going through lots of growing pains unorganized cooperation good luck hopefully they don't collapse
Worst environment ever.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 16, 2018
This was my first opportunity working for a marijuana dispensary and it was the worse experience I ever had. They walk all over you. Promote people that don’t even earn their position. I was out within 3 months because the stress of this job drove me to tears on multiple occasions. I have never hated a job more. There were times where we would stand for 8 hours straight and no customers came in. I would not recommend this job to anyone!
Get in where you fit in
Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 11, 2018
MedMen has a great way of inviting the employee on their journey. There is room for advancement as the company takes off into more directions! The corporate environment is fostering of creativity and innovation. I can’t imagine moving back into the non cannabis sector. This is a thrilling time in cannabis and MedMen isn’t afraid to challenge the market by mainstreaming marijuana!
Pros
Advancement, cannabis education, diversity
San Diego
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 9, 2018
Well let me start off by saying I kind of got a skewed view of what this company claims to be. I was in the San Diego location. We took over another dispensary, gutted the whole thing, and threw up some MedMen tables. This was supposed to be temporary... MedMen is supposed to bring style and sophistication to cannabis... well the store got left in the lurch. No further upgrades were done.

MedMen offered the other dispensary’s workers a job at the new store, and many took them up on the offer.. this created a hirearchy issue. The employees of the previous dispensary felt like they should have lead roles immediately since they ran the last dispensary, and MedMen just went along with it. It almost got embarrassing working there at times because management and leads were running amuck and literally barking at each other in the store while customers were trying to shop. As an employee it is hard to take work seriously when you see these people getting promoted over others who clearly deserved to move up.

We were all promised 60% of our income coming from tips to justify the low hourly pay... yeah we average around $5-10 a day. So if your are cool with hangin in a pot shop with about 10 other sales associates for $13/hr with no real desire to have build a career, then this job is for you. If you are looking to have an impact, pay bills, and not feel like you are living hand to mouth... I might suggest looking elsewhere
Pros
If you know cannabis, this job is easy
Cons
You will feel like you are in a daycare at times
Premium
Product Processor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 5, 2018
They do not care about you at this company, this company does not care about the clients they are money based and not client based. There is no focus on the client here its just about how much the client pays.
do not want to discuss
sales (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 14, 2018
i dont want to discuss, there was alot going on there and i didnt seem like anyone knew what they were doing with state regulations and running the business
A lot of work for little pay and benefits
Cultivator (Former Employee) –  Sun Valley, CAJuly 6, 2018
While each day may present itself with a new challenge or task that enables you to learn a fair amount, the work you have to do doesn't always match the job description. (Low Pay)
The upper management and corporate never seem to be on the same page with the facility.
There was no training before starting the job and a company email was never issued, so there was no way to contact HR and payroll or access the training documents.
The local team of people were enjoyable to work with except for the majority of security staff, who were too busy watching youtube videos or hiding to open the door for you.
There were also no holidays or days where I received overtime for working on any holiday while I worked there.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with a good team and learn together.
The hardest part of the job would be the when upper management comes in, always by surprise, and throws a wrench in your plans for the day because they have no idea whats going on at the facility.
Pros
periodic breaks make the day seem to go by fast
Cons
very poor communication between corp. and the facility
Temp Job
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 1, 2018
Loved the company & its Mission & Motto. This temp job with great training before. I was company and product knowledgable before hitting the sales floor. Felt confident
Walmart of Weed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAJune 1, 2018
This company is a big ol' sham. They lure you in with the promise that promotions are rampant. Once involved in the company, you see managers and assistant managers get brought in all the time. Weather its the high turnover rate among managers that creates inconsistency, or the fact that most managers failed upwards and are in charge of more qualified individuals. 0 company loyalty for employees or costumers, the bottom line is the bottom line. Unless training gets emphasized to help set employees up for success, this is going to become another company that spreads like herpes. and is just as enjoyable.
Cons
micromanaged, underpaid, 0 incentives, management is poorly executed
Growing Company
Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAMay 27, 2018
This company is expanding more and more and there is always room for promotions as long as you work hard and do your job right. Fast pace in the stores but if you work with packaging or trimming your days are pretty chill.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MedMen. Our community is ready to answer.