MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center Employee Reviews

Average place to work
Radiologic Technologist (PRN) (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDJune 17, 2019
Medstar is a large institution and depending on where you work there will be different reviews whether it be the salary or the management so you really need to ask questions on your interview and do your research on the location you are hoping to work for.
ED RN southern Maryland hospital
ER Nurse (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDJune 16, 2019
Run, away from this place!!! I left as soon as I could. The patients you treat are terrible, rude and violent. The clientele is 95% African Americans and they and their families made my life there unbearable. I’ve been called so many racist names it’s not even funny. And what is the worst, the patients and families want you to do everything for them, while they are yelling at you and calling you names, and threatening you right at the bedside. Management does nothing to support the staff. The staff does not help. The techs they hire actually tell the nurse no they won’t help you, and to do your own work, while they play on their phones, they have terrible non helping attitudes, or help nurses that they like. The charge nurses don’t help, they load you up with priority 2 and 1 patients, like people literally dying, and expect you to be in 2 rooms at once. I can’t tell you how many patients and visitors threatened me, and management did nothing!!!! This place is unsafe!!! If you want your nursing license revoked, if you want to be threatened and abused by staff and patients and visitors...then by all means work there!
Pros
No pros
Cons
Terrible unsafe racist towards European
Employees use team work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDMay 15, 2019
Everyone believes in team work.
Managers you can talk to about anything.
I was able to have flexable hours while on maternity leave.
They were very generous while pregnant.
Nursing Staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDApril 28, 2019
For the most part the Nursing Staff works well together. It is evident that the staff that has been there the longest works well as a team in comparison to the new or agency hires. Time management is key to the nursing profession and makes for a less stressful shift. The most enjoyable part is getting to talk with your patients. This helps them to be more at ease and gives you the insight needed to help them move towards recovery and discharge.
Pros
Most of the staff works together.
Cons
Due to staffing issues, there isn't enough time to get to really work with each patient.
The local team is great...corporate is less compassionate.
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDMarch 28, 2019
I worked with wonderful people, was paid fairly, and was promoted easily. However MedStar as a whole seems to not care greatly about their personnel and more so about the bottom line. They did offer great training and opportunities but eventually dollars outweighed the well being of personnel.
Pros
Pleasant associates, fair compensation, lots of education
Cons
Too much streamlining and minimization
Fun work place
ER Technician (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDMarch 21, 2019
Working for southern Maryland has been a good experience because I learn a lot through out the years and I have met some wonderful people! I have a great team and everyone is big on team work! We all come together when needed and we get the job done. We have some excellent Doctors who really care about their patients and go over and beyond to satisfy their patients.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
The pay
I Volunteer here
Patient Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDFebruary 28, 2019
I like volunteering here it helps me get a little scoop of the medical field since that is what I am currently studying at my college. The volunteer coordinator is very kind and will help you find job proprieties.
Pros
Cons
N/a
Horrible Wok Environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  MarylandFebruary 25, 2019
Poor leadership, poor patient care, low moral and no accountability. Dirty, don’t care about patients, high turnover, everyone is scared to make a decision.
Pros
Getting off from work
Cons
Going into work
Under new management
Emergency Room RN/Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDFebruary 12, 2019
It takes time for changes to take affect. Very high acuity patients. Staff has to adapt to new rules and get acclimated to these adjustments fast. Whole hospital needs a makeover and update.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not enough pay
good place to work
Clinical Nurse Educator (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDJanuary 23, 2019
MSMHC is a nice hospital. They provide good care to the region. They are supportive of nurses and try to improve staff engagement. They have good benefits.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
salary could improve
supporting staff in a new EHR
Clinical Informatics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southern MD Facility, MDJanuary 2, 2019
work over 40 hours per dayis a typical day. i have learned how to run an effectilvey meeting with time line followup. I have learned to adapt to the different cultures that have come with a new system and practices. the most ejoyable part was building relationships with others.
Great Place to work
Maryland (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDDecember 25, 2018
Med Star Southern Maryland is a great place to work. A typical day at work includes processing physician orders and checking medications to be delivered to patients, which I thoroughly enjoy. The hardest part of the job is learning to deal with the workplace culture.
Pros
The best part of working there is providing medication services to patients
Cons
The hardest part of the job is learning to deal with the workplace culture.
MedStar is a great place for career advancement
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MD 20735November 30, 2018
working for MedStar, you open to many opportunities to advance your career. I mean you can benefits greatly by working in this organization. They are everywhere nationwide.
Poor management
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MD 20735October 24, 2018
Initially, leadership was in step with local facilities, overtime it slowly fell behind as budget battles became more & more apparent. Strong and progressive managers can do ANYTHING. Weak ones will only lead to a nose dive in job performance, morale, & ultimately..... a mass exodus. Good staff retention became harder and harder for HR.
Pros
Proximity to home
Cons
Misguided Leadership.
Volunteer Services
Volunteer Services (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDOctober 19, 2018
Provide assistance to patients and guests entering/existing the hospital by providing directions, wheelchairs and other assistance as necessary.

A great place to work.
Workplace Culture needs help!!!
Supervisor of Respiratory Care Services (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDSeptember 6, 2018
Very hostile workplace conditions.
Upper level management does not take the appropriate actions to prevent bad workplace conditions.
Unsafe practices.
Work short-staffed most of the time which causes a unsafe healthcare employee to patient ratio.
sometimes stressful but overall great place to work
Labarotory Receptionist Pathology (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDAugust 5, 2018
A typical day is greater with good mornings coffee and work. The atomosphere changes depends on what the day brings. There sis nothing extremely hard. The most enjoyable part of the day is helping others in need.
MedStar's Experience.
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  7503 Surratts Road - Clinton, MD. 20735August 2, 2018
I loved working at the hospital. Meeting new people, and just helping them in every way I can, to make them feel comfortable while they are there. The fact that a situation involving a patient could change so quickly, added to the seriousness and fast thinking of the job. Everyone worked as a team, and our main goal is for the patient and family members to get the best care.
Pros
Unpredictable setting, lunches.
MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center
Regulatory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MDAugust 1, 2018
I worked as a Regulatory Specialist in the Utilization and Quality Management Department preparing the hospital for the Joint Commission survey by auditing departments and policies.
Great place
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Southern MD Facility, MDJune 12, 2018
The unit is small and family like. Everyone work as a team. On average day the unit is busy. I would recommend working here. Scheduling is flexible and it has a great team
Pros
Schedule is flexible