MedStar Washington Hospital Center Employee Reviews

Good workplace
Medical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2019
Learn a lot while employed here as a social worket
I really liked working here, both the people and the staff.
That’s all I have to say about this employer
There is not much organizational order
Lead Community Navigator/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 13, 2019
I did not like it there. It was a very catty environment. Too many people in positions too long where they have never been evaluated by there peers for progress.
if not for the union
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2019
If not for the union employees would be treated like children in my old department. Management did what they wanted no matter what laws were in place. They target employees who do not do what they want and who ask questions. Safety was not a priority. MedStar transport is a horrible place to work and the management is not kind to the team. The director has no clue about regulations and rules and makes things up as she goes. She fired a good employee who was their for 14 years with no issues for plugging in his phone in the front of the ambulance.
Excellent hospital
ACNP (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2019
On a typical day I would get my patient assignment and would spend the first few hours of the day seeing patients, crafting a plan of care for the day and enacting that plan.
Decent Place to Work
Administrative Assistant/Surgical Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2019
Work culture is okay, management not kind to work life balance. Enjoyed working with the patients and families. I learned surgical procedures thoroughly to help with practice.
I Really Enjoy Working In a Hospitals Saw A lot Of Things
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2019
I Love Working At A Hospital There Are Lots Of Things You Can Do There Benefits Are Everything The Scene Is Nice I Also Sometimes Get Sad Just Seeing patients How They Be But Other Then That Great Work Place
Pros
Leaving Early
Cons
Getting Up Early
Nice place to work, room to grow, great pay
Environmental Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 14, 2019
Very great benefits, clean environment, pay matches work. Great communication, the union works for you and management communicates well with staff and room for growth
Pros
Pay
Great hospital
Clinical RN, Labor & Delivery (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2019
MWHC is a great place to receive care and to work. I truly loved my time there. Each unit is set up differently, but I worked with some of the brightest nurses. Because it is a Level 1 trauma center and teaching hospital, there is so much to learn and see. Great experience, but not for the week of heart.
Washington Hospital Center
Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2019
I hated working at Washington Hospital Center. You had to join the union and I don't think that the union work for the employee. You paid all that money to the union and when you needed them they were not there for you
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
Day at work
District of Columbia, Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2019
Answer phones
Greet customers
file papers
clean secondary area for patients
help patients
update patients profile during and after surgery
put in patients personal information in the system
Pros
free lunch and volunteer, meet wonderful people and learned
Cons
volunteer
Not a fun place to work.
DATA COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 2, 2019
I would arrive at 7:30 a.m. I would arrive early because of my commute, I traveled via train from Maryland to Washington, DC. I learned working for doctors is very difficult and if I had a choice, would not do that again. The workplace culture was rough, but with my personality, I made it work. I'm easy going, but a tenacious person, I love to complete my tasks daily.... I don't like leaving something undone, so to speak. The hardest part of the job was getting up at 4:00 a.m. to arrive on time, but I eventually got used to it.

Honestly, the most enjoyable part of the job was leaving at 4:30 p.m., but because of train breakdowns, I wouldn't get home before 8:00 p.m., just enough time to get ready for the commute the next day.
Pros
I truly enjoyed talking with the patients, and people I worked directly with.
Cons
Having to get up at 4:00 am to arrive at 7:30 a.m.
I enjoyed working with colleagues, management need refinement
Staff (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 2, 2019
The hospital offered plenty of various opportunities depending on the staff member goals. Reimbursement for tuition or conference encourage one to go to more. Leadership became inflexible towards staff
Benefits
Lack organization
Cardiovascular Imaging Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 30, 2018
-Mission is not being followed.
-Top heavy with managers
-Failure to listen to employees concerns and complaints
-Promotions given to select groups/very cliquish
-Entire facility function with lack of organization
-No incentive to strive for excellence since promotions are random and hiring externally is more favorable for management positions
-lack flexible schedules even though they are aware of the location of the demographics of their employees
Pros
Good benefits
organised
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 29, 2018
Now a safe working environment and not enough support .start you day in many locations then set to the floor different assignment, Minutes later they send you someone you have never been before, Staff too busy to help you. Not many friendly faces
Pros
now organized
Cons
no safe
ED Staff Great
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 28, 2018
This was one of the best ER jobs I had. We busted our tails...sometimes more than 350 patients within a 24 hour period through our ER, but the staff - they made it so much better. Supportive, team players they did not allow you to flounder - if you needed help - they jumped in - before you even had to ask! Appreciated that. Management did not stand for more experienced nurses treating new nurses badly - they fired you! That helped to foster an environment of team - you either be a team player...or you are out...sounds harsh, but in a level 1 trauma center - you need TEAM PLAYERS.
Medical office administration
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 28, 2018
Very strict place to work. My office specifically has no code really with patient confidentiality. Hippa violations. The patients can be very rude at times.
Exciting place to work
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washingtob DCDecember 28, 2018
WHC is a very high paced job. You have to have a great personality and thick skin to work there. If you love rotating shifts and weekends, you will love it there.
Pros
Meeting People
Cons
breaks
Great Learning Environment
Central Scheduling/Verification Unit Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 27, 2018
I have learned a lot of professional skills during my tenture withing Medstar Health. There is room for improvement in all of the departments. I have gained a good rapport with staff and other employees. I am greatful for the opportunity to work here.
good culture
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2018
ns to grow on a daily basis. An Level-1 Trauma center that supports all surrounding facilities within the complex. This was the perfect hospital to learn various techniques and apply them to my skillset.
Pros
InhouseTraining
Cons
Very low payscale
It's a fun and pleasant place to work and you are able to move up in your career
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 20, 2018
It's a great place to work and you can have the ability to move up in your career to other departments.Its alot of wonderful people there and lots of experiences that your learn from in order to be the best.Everything is a life learning lesson and you'll definitely learn something new there everyday that makes you say I love my job no matter how the day started or ended.You walk through them doors you put your A game on and do you job to the best of your ability.
Pros
Longer lunch break
Cons
Respect each other

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MedStar Washington Hospital Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight