MedVet Medical & Cancer Center for Pets Employee Reviews

Toxicity
Registered Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHJune 15, 2018
The hospital staff is stellar. The administration is horrid. They promote the worst of the worst. Allow the worst to run off the best. It’s sll about the administration and NOTHING else.
Going corporate and changing admin was the downfall of something once great.

I’ve had better benefits, pay, and CE working at small, private owned clinics.

I recommend clients and friends here for treatment of their pets, but wouldn’t refer my worst enemy to apply there for employment
Pros
Clinical staff
Cons
Administration
MedVet WILL break you
Emergency (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 2, 2018
Great medicine for patients... Awful place to be a employee. Management is impossible to communicate with effectively even for the simplest of things. Employees have the deepest amount of compassion for these patients and MedVet uses this to their advantage. For example they may ask you to stay over because the staffing shortage even after being there 12 plus hours, you say yes because " it's about the animals" you tell yourself. It is a highly toxic environment on a constant basis. Turn over is incredibly high. Employees are not compensated fairly for the magnitude of work they do. Over the past years I have witnessed employees have nervous break downs directly related to their job . Employees that were once great hardly show up to work anymore because they can't cope with being there. People who have been in the field ten plus years are finding new career paths after working at MedVet . Staff members have to seek out professional help from the effects MedVet has had on them. Many employees experience extreme compassion fatigue and PTSD from working there. But MedVet insist they give us all the support and tools to benefit and help us. Patient care is directly effected because of all these issues. I don't care how strong willed someone is MedVet can and will break them if given the opportunity.
Pros
A pro is that I can guarantee your next job will be better than working at MedVet
Cons
MedVet
Do NOT care about employees
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 10, 2018
The culture at this company, across locations, is toxic. Management is terrible and employees who advocate for themselves and the co-worders they care about are dismissed. They expect way too much out of the employees! so much so that it kills all work/life balance but because it is 'whats best for the hospital' its OK to treat people like that. Its socialism in the workplace and its terrible. I cant even explain how poorly managed it is. The company does try to get good people but for some reason the method they use ends up putting the ABSOLUTE wrong people in positions of power! Do NOT work here if you want to have a life outside of work.
Pros
Good base pay/benefits
Cons
poor management, coorporate machine, no raises
Apply here if you want to be overworked and mentally abused
RVT (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 18, 2018
Hospital employees some of the best doctors in the country, yet it cannot retain the support staff. Work-life balance is non exsistant. Turnover is a huge problem leaving the hospital understaffed and techs are expected to pick up the slack of the company not being able to retain employees, patients are put at high risk due to staffing issues. Hospital director is difficult and known in the community to be a nightmare so people will not work there. Hospital director is rasist, homophobic, and pushes her religious beliefs in the workplace. Medical director is a hot headed bully who should not be in a management position.
Pros
Benefits, good doctors
Cons
Management, culture, work/life balance, overworked, understaffed(always)
Poor management, employees are expendable, no onboarding training.
ER-DSTL and Animal Aide (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 3, 2018
I was hired for a position that I was not qualified for. I was informed by one of the doctors that I worked with that the position traditionally required a minimum of three months of intensive training prior to starting - I received zero training. I was thrown to the wolves, but I managed to hold my own for approximately six months.

The staff is toxic. There are cliques, there is gossiping, there is backstabbing. They spend the majority of the day either talking about each other or talking about the clients. I have personally witnessed ER doctors making bets on how long it will take patients to die. Even the doctors hate each other and gossip about each other. It is a horrible environment to be stuck in.

People were constantly giving conflicting information to new hires - one person even told me that I shouldn't listen to my clinical managers because they have no idea what they're talking about. I would have someone tell me that I need to do something, and another person would tell me that it isn't my responsibility and I shouldn't be doing it. I'd have a person show me how to perform a task, and another person would tell me that I'm doing it incorrectly. The training of new staff is simply a nightmare and I can't even fathom how any new hires are expected to succeed in that type of environment.

The employee turnover rate is astounding. In six months, I saw easily a dozen or more people come and go - some new, some long term, all for the same reason; employees are treated as an expendable resource.
Pros
There is much to learn in the ER.
Cons
Too numerous to count.
very stressful environment but great place to learn
Registered vet technician (Current Employee) –  Worthington, OHMarch 21, 2018
excellent learning environment, good benefits, able to pick up overtime hours, yearly reviews and raises
culture is negative, managers lack in communicating to one on one staff, short staffed 80-90% of the time, must work all holidays except for two in ER/Nursing
Cons
Everyone in management starts off the sentence "well, I hate the word corporate, but...." as if it changes. This is a sad corporate company.
Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 25, 2017
They advertise that this place is better because it is run by veterinarians. Well this does not make a difference and if anything makes it worse. Veterinarians are not required to take any business classes. Management in ohio does not know what goes on at the clinics but still micromanages them all. Standardized gloves, fluids bag options, medications but they say it isn't not corporate medicine. Sad place and starting to take over the world. It is Banfield for specialty. We even have the binder when we forget how to think on our own.
Pros
It's a job- but not worth it
Cons
Corporate all the way
Toxic environment and miserable staff
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALNovember 26, 2017
It is constantly understaffed for one reason or another. This leave the other staff members to pick up the slack and leaves them short staffed on busy shifts. There is a lot of clique behavior and gossiping/arguing between team members creating a large divide and toxic work environment that makes it a miserable place to be. Management is aware of this, yet nothing is ever addressed.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Overworking employees and toxic environment
Great co-workers and benefits
Rvt (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 4, 2017
Only recently changed over to MedVet, but they offer better benefits than most places I interviewed and a little above typical starting pay, which I think is typical of ER/specialty. Great co-workers. The different departments get along well and you can tell they enjoy their jobs.
Pros
CE and coworkers
Cons
They're growing and it's leaving them short staffed
Horrible
csr (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 12, 2017
Management is a joke they constantly lie & stab you in the back. One manager was upset bc a employee was going back to the Cinci office and she took her off the Dayton schedule! You can barely use your PTO. Good luck if you're children are sick or have to do to the doctors. Currently looking for a new job.
Pros
401k, Pto
Cons
Wrote up for calling in sick ONE time..If your child is sick you will also get written up.
MedVet Hilliard is the worst that MedVet has to offer
Tech (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHJune 4, 2017
The Hilliard location is the most shining example of the "eat or be eaten" culture, that is MedVet. Management encourage staff / doctors deviciveness. Staff and doctors are fleeing MedVet Hilliard as if it were on fire. No amount of money or vacation time ( Which the Hospital Manager will do everything to keep you from taking. Up to and including the threat of firing you) is worth the stress of this cut throat environment. It's a small town, ask around, before you waste your time interviewing here.
Pros
You had the good fortune to read this review
Cons
Don't heed this warning and find out for yourself
Stay Away
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 4, 2017
Wonderful Veterinarians and coworkers but HORRIBLE management that do not care about their employees. In my short time there were 5 of us that quit as a result of horrible management and inability for HR to fix the management issue but practically force their employees to quit as they make your job nearly intolerable.
Pros
Sweet Coworkers
Cons
Horrible management
Great medicine, awful treatment of employees
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 1, 2017
The veterinarians are some of the best in the industry and you will learn a lot in any position. However, MedVet as a corporation encourages a culture of employee neglect at best and abuse at worst. Technicians, receptionists and "non specialty" DVMs are treated like garbage. Constantly reminded you are replaceable. No encouragement of work life balance. Management demands your commitment above all but offers no loyalty in return. If you question policy the reply is "well that's how it is". Employees are lied to about availability of supplies and ETA on new diagnostic/therapeutic equipment (I.e. MRI machine, WORKING oxygen cage). Patient to technician ratio deplorable. I could go on and on but I think that's enough.
Pros
Great medicine. Good PTO. Fantastic co workers. Higher then average base pay
Cons
Almost non existent raises, Awful business model, Unrealistic technician to patient ratio. pitiful pet care discounts.
Wonderful Hospital
Veterinary Assistant/coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 14, 2016
Medvet is a wonderful place that provides the best care an animal would receive. I highly recommend Medvet for all specialty and emergency care.
Great work environment with awesome benefits
CSR/Technician Aid (Former Employee) –  Mandeville, LAAugust 17, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of arriving around 9pm to begin my shift. I worked alone overnight till 7am. My job consisted of answering the phones, checking patients in, handling animals, and doing office duties. The work environment could get very stressful while working an Emergency shift, but it teaches you patience, and makes you mentally stronger to handle future emergencies. I've grown a great deal from working at Medvet.
Pros
Paid time off, and schedule flexibility
Cons
N/a