MedVet Medical & Cancer Center for Pets Employee Reviews

Collaborative, educational and quick-paced job
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHOctober 26, 2018
Working at MedVet for 10+ years, I find they are passionate about the patients, management works to be supportive and constructive. Our hospital offers monthly CE internally and frequent external CE opportunities. It isn't a career for everyone depending on what you prefer in veterinary medicine but there are so many options between specialty, ER, Nursing, client services and some support service options.
fast paced, fun, challenging, good place to work
ICU Veterinary Technition (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2018
Exciting place to work, get to use your skills and learn new skills, see really interesting cases on a daily basis. Co workers are helpful and supportive.
Employees are miserable and vastly underpaid compared to what clients are charged
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 17, 2018
This company accepts very little responsibility for the gap between the CEO’s wealth and his technicians. The morale is and always has been low. MedVet takes full advantage of the fact that it is one of two specialty hospitals in the area and therefore the pay is a joke. They have improved their benefits but continue offering very little support to their employees. This field is unstable and due to the number of “Leading Specialty Healthcare” for animals hospitals there should be RVT’s and assistants knocking down their doors to work here. Especially in this job market. Instead, trainees are being turned off from the vet profession altogether and long term veterans stay because there is no where else to go to learn good medicine. The medical care truly is exceptional, it would just be great if the staff were compensated for their part in it, instead of MedVet administrators get richer and richer from acquiring more hospitals. When will they understand that burnout and compassion fatigue would be cut down drastically if people could pay their bills after coming home from an insanely stressful work week?
Pros
Excellent medical care for patients
Cons
Very underpaid and under appreciated staff, which makes them bitter and near vicious
Toxic work environment with management issues
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 21, 2018
Medvet has the potential to be something amazing to the community but I do not think they will get there. You get paid the same or less than you would in a regular GP with higher stress levels, longer shifts, and working every holiday/ weekend. They offer good services but are overpriced and have the “all or nothing” mentality when it comes to treatment plans. Average working day includes working with other over worked and stressed doctors and techs and getting off late from every shift. Working 13+ hours away from family on Thanksgiving, Christmas, all other holidays minor and major. They offer a good amount of time off, but you need to jump through hoops to use it and it’s still not enough when you are working in such a stressful place.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Management issues, workplace drama, no reprimand for coworkers mistakes
Overall great place to work if you have a positive attitude!
RVT (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OHSeptember 8, 2018
We were bought by MedVet over a year ago, and the changes so far have been mostly positive. We had such a negative culture with our previous clinic manager and half the staff that it was a hard go in the beginning. Now the most of those people have left, although we are extremely short staffed, I’m very optimistic about where things are going. Wonderful co workers and doctors. Family environment, and a wonderful place to learn. It can be stressful at times, but we work so well as a team now that the toxcity is gone, it makes every shift enjoyable!!!
Pros
Co workers, doctors, advancement, learning and many more
Cons
Short staffed!!!!
Overall a fun place to work
Veterinary Receptionist/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 3, 2018
Busy on certain days and can be slow. but the staff make it fun and the doctors were great, no real hangups about the company just to bad the good people tend to leave.
Pros
lunches, doctors
Cons
none really
The management is unprofessional
Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington-Fayette, KYAugust 19, 2018
MedVet Lexington is the WORST place to work. The management is unqualified and unprofessional. Management abuses the staff and never supports them. Employees are over worked and under paid, and completely under appreciated. The employees that stay working there do it because they’re stuck (mortgage, student loan commitments, etc.).
Pros
Pto
Poor work environment
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Hilliard, OHJuly 24, 2018
We have been severely understaffed for quite some time with no light at the end of the tunnel. My job is stressful as is, let alone having no help or enough hands to complete tasks. I don’t believe the care that is being paid for is up to standards.
Pros
PTO and benefits
Cons
Short staffed, over worked, underpaid
Good experience, not the best pay
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43228July 20, 2018
It is a very fast-paced working environment and it demands that you be on your toes at all times, which is to be expected, it is a 24/7 pet hospital. I am very grateful to gain the experience that I have while working here, and I enjoy my coworkers and management pretty well. PTO is amazing, if you are full-time, you gets 4 weeks, but that includes your sick days and holiday pay.

However, the pay is pretty low for what you have to do, and the job itself can get pretty overwhelming at times. Health insurance that is offered is pretty terrible. You get an annual pay raise of about 1-3% as long as you meet MedVet expectations. You will NOT get any other kind of raise whatsoever, even if you transfer to another department where you would typically get a higher pay. This is why I have docked a star for Management, because this is upper Management's collective decision to do Merit-based raises ONLY.

Overall: I loved working here, but the benefits are just not up to par, and I don't really feel appreciated as an employee from MedVet.
Pros
Pto, coworkers, reception experience
Cons
pay, pay raises
Low pay, short staffed, stressful environment
ER Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2018
Generous paid time off but pays below a living wage. Pay for most CSRs and assistants is just slightly above minimum wage. Tech pay is low as well. The clinic is constantly understaffed, which takes a big toll on employees. Busy clinic, long hours, and lunch breaks are rare. They include pto, and amount the company contributes to your insurance in what they consider your salary to be. They use the term “rewards” when referring to health insurance and other benefits. Typical corporate vibe... The company continues to expand and grow and they continue to add more doctors, but can’t seem to attract and retain support staff
Pros
Generous paid time off
Cons
Low pay and staffing shortages
Toxicity
Registered Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHJune 15, 2018
The hospital staff is stellar. The administration is horrid. They promote the worst of the worst. Allow the worst to run off the best. It’s sll about the administration and NOTHING else.
Going corporate and changing admin was the downfall of something once great.

I’ve had better benefits, pay, and CE working at small, private owned clinics.

I recommend clients and friends here for treatment of their pets, but wouldn’t refer my worst enemy to apply there for employment
Pros
Clinical staff
Cons
Administration
Medvet
RVT - Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 5, 2018
The owners of the company cared more about acquiring more hospitals than ensuring proper management of current hospitals & maintaining hospital equipment.
MedVet WILL break you
Emergency (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 2, 2018
Great medicine for patients... Awful place to be a employee. Management is impossible to communicate with effectively even for the simplest of things. Employees have the deepest amount of compassion for these patients and MedVet uses this to their advantage. For example they may ask you to stay over because the staffing shortage even after being there 12 plus hours, you say yes because " it's about the animals" you tell yourself. It is a highly toxic environment on a constant basis. Turn over is incredibly high. Employees are not compensated fairly for the magnitude of work they do. Over the past years I have witnessed employees have nervous break downs directly related to their job . Employees that were once great hardly show up to work anymore because they can't cope with being there. People who have been in the field ten plus years are finding new career paths after working at MedVet . Staff members have to seek out professional help from the effects MedVet has had on them. Many employees experience extreme compassion fatigue and PTSD from working there. But MedVet insist they give us all the support and tools to benefit and help us. Patient care is directly effected because of all these issues. I don't care how strong willed someone is MedVet can and will break them if given the opportunity.
Pros
A pro is that I can guarantee your next job will be better than working at MedVet
Cons
MedVet
Do NOT care about employees
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 10, 2018
The culture at this company, across locations, is toxic. Management is terrible and employees who advocate for themselves and the co-worders they care about are dismissed. They expect way too much out of the employees! so much so that it kills all work/life balance but because it is 'whats best for the hospital' its OK to treat people like that. Its socialism in the workplace and its terrible. I cant even explain how poorly managed it is. The company does try to get good people but for some reason the method they use ends up putting the ABSOLUTE wrong people in positions of power! Do NOT work here if you want to have a life outside of work.
Pros
Good base pay/benefits
Cons
poor management, coorporate machine, no raises
Apply here if you want to be overworked and mentally abused
RVT (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 18, 2018
Hospital employees some of the best doctors in the country, yet it cannot retain the support staff. Work-life balance is non exsistant. Turnover is a huge problem leaving the hospital understaffed and techs are expected to pick up the slack of the company not being able to retain employees, patients are put at high risk due to staffing issues. Hospital director is difficult and known in the community to be a nightmare so people will not work there. Hospital director is rasist, homophobic, and pushes her religious beliefs in the workplace. Medical director is a hot headed bully who should not be in a management position.
Pros
Benefits, good doctors
Cons
Management, culture, work/life balance, overworked, understaffed(always)
Poor management, employees are expendable, no onboarding training.
ER-DSTL and Animal Aide (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 3, 2018
I was hired for a position that I was not qualified for. I was informed by one of the doctors that I worked with that the position traditionally required a minimum of three months of intensive training prior to starting - I received zero training. I was thrown to the wolves, but I managed to hold my own for approximately six months.

The staff is toxic. There are cliques, there is gossiping, there is backstabbing. They spend the majority of the day either talking about each other or talking about the clients. I have personally witnessed ER doctors making bets on how long it will take patients to die. Even the doctors hate each other and gossip about each other. It is a horrible environment to be stuck in.

People were constantly giving conflicting information to new hires - one person even told me that I shouldn't listen to my clinical managers because they have no idea what they're talking about. I would have someone tell me that I need to do something, and another person would tell me that it isn't my responsibility and I shouldn't be doing it. I'd have a person show me how to perform a task, and another person would tell me that I'm doing it incorrectly. The training of new staff is simply a nightmare and I can't even fathom how any new hires are expected to succeed in that type of environment.

The employee turnover rate is astounding. In six months, I saw easily a dozen or more people come and go - some new, some long term, all for the same reason; employees are treated as an expendable resource.
Pros
There is much to learn in the ER.
Cons
Too numerous to count.
very stressful environment but great place to learn
Registered vet technician (Current Employee) –  Worthington, OHMarch 21, 2018
excellent learning environment, good benefits, able to pick up overtime hours, yearly reviews and raises
culture is negative, managers lack in communicating to one on one staff, short staffed 80-90% of the time, must work all holidays except for two in ER/Nursing
Cons
Everyone in management starts off the sentence "well, I hate the word corporate, but...." as if it changes. This is a sad corporate company.
Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 25, 2017
They advertise that this place is better because it is run by veterinarians. Well this does not make a difference and if anything makes it worse. Veterinarians are not required to take any business classes. Management in ohio does not know what goes on at the clinics but still micromanages them all. Standardized gloves, fluids bag options, medications but they say it isn't not corporate medicine. Sad place and starting to take over the world. It is Banfield for specialty. We even have the binder when we forget how to think on our own.
Pros
It's a job- but not worth it
Cons
Corporate all the way
Toxic environment and miserable staff
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALNovember 26, 2017
It is constantly understaffed for one reason or another. This leave the other staff members to pick up the slack and leaves them short staffed on busy shifts. There is a lot of clique behavior and gossiping/arguing between team members creating a large divide and toxic work environment that makes it a miserable place to be. Management is aware of this, yet nothing is ever addressed.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Overworking employees and toxic environment
Great co-workers and benefits
Rvt (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 4, 2017
Only recently changed over to MedVet, but they offer better benefits than most places I interviewed and a little above typical starting pay, which I think is typical of ER/specialty. Great co-workers. The different departments get along well and you can tell they enjoy their jobs.
Pros
CE and coworkers
Cons
They're growing and it's leaving them short staffed